PDA

View Full Version : acceptance?

LisaS
12-06-05, 11:28
hi all,

It seems there are a few of us on a downer lately, me included.. so I have basically been reading the replies as they apply to me too rather than posting another post.. do you think blips are not only part of recovery but a failing in our acceptance to our condition/illness? this last week although i've had no PA's or no tears, I feel I have been very contemplative about, why me? why now? why have i had to defer uni cos of this? etc.. these thoughts all stem to hating what has happened to me.. and to a degree being annoyed with myself for not coping better or letting it happen in the first place.
I think and I know, when I accept it HAS happened and to not fight it, I feel better.. but its the acceptance I am finding so so difficult.. Especially when you have been 'up' for a while.. the blips make you lose confidence that is so hard to build back up again..
Not sure if i'm writing this for me or you or all of us.. I guess once we accept we are almost there.. I just need to grab a hold of it!

thanks for reading! :D
Lisa
xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

Piglet
12-06-05, 14:09
Hi Lisa

Yes I think your right about the acceptance part.

I think too, sometimes, we anxious sort want everything to be right a 100% of the time and we don't seem to allow for 'life' and so have perhaps unrealistic expectations on how it should all be panning out.
Even so called unanxious sorts have ups and downs in their lives, as has been said 'before we don't have to be superhuman in our attempts to beat this'.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

seh1980
12-06-05, 16:14
hi Lisa,

I think acceptance is the hardest bit really. I guess it's the same with anything in life. We all spend too much time in denial rather than dealing with the situations that we find ourselves in. Acceptance takes a lot of time so I guess the more time that passes, the easier it will be..

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

pips
13-06-05, 10:54
Hi Lisa,

Acceptance that's a toughie isn't it!

I used to fight the panic and anxiety all the time and then I realised by me doing this it was just making it worse and I was just feeding it so to speak.

So now I have come to the conclusion to just accept it and go with the flow. I find if I can do that it is a little easier. It also depends on how severe the anxiety is I find the worse it is the harder it can be to accept.

I find acceptance hard when I haven't got a reason for things: i.e anxiety/panic I get bloated at some point each day and im not really sure why. Tummy ache etc... Anything I don't know the answer to or have a reason for I find so difficult to accept.

The key I think is to try and say look I know your there (however your feeling) and ok I don't feel great but tough i'm going to find my inner strength and battle on whatever! Sometimes by accepting and doing this you get so distracted with other things it might even pass away. Then you think Oh yeah i was feeling crap wasn't I and it went!

It is so difficult to do and i still struggle lots and some days I do give in and can't find that inner strength. I think all you can do is try though and do your best and if you have a blip try your best to accept it and move on and not dwell! Easier said than done I know. We just have to give it our best shot huh!

Sorry about this confusing waffle I hope it helped a bit!

I hope you are well?

Take Care

Love PIP'S X X X X

Meg
13-06-05, 22:01
Hi

Acceptance is a tough one indeed but Blips happen post acceptance too as we push back the boundaries and start really putting ourselves into difficult positions where we are going against inbuilt memories.

I had one place I had to go once every 2 months and I hated it mostly because of having a series of horrible days there each visit and even once recovered that one place could still set me off - its smell , the journey, the memories .. It must have taken 18 months to go there comfortably and everywhere else had been fine for months and months even though I had had horrible days elsewhere too but the night before this one place I got churny ,sick, palpitations, dread etc and they're actually very nice - the problem was from within my memory not just accepting it. I could rationalize all I could but my innards always created a scene..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

LisaS
14-06-05, 18:00
hi all,

I can sometimes do the acceptance thing but in the blip, things can get very negative.
I know there are usual ups and downs of life, but when you are suffering with this the downs seem twice as bad.
Its such a battle sometimes but i'll keep doing what i'm doing and hopefully things will keep improving. and i WILL get better!! yay!!
lisa
xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"