PDA

View Full Version : undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder.

agent orange
07-11-08, 17:46
Has anyone out there been diagnosed with Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder/Hypochondriasis? I have and this condition does give you a varied range of symptoms. I posted earlier about this. I believe that this runs and co-exists with anxiety/stress.If you suffer from Health Anxiety then it could be likely that you also suffer from this.I would be interested to hear if anyone else has this condition? You should check this out, but please do not self diagnose. I have been diagnosed by a Psychiatrist. I have had this long term problem for over seven years. I do manage to work, I have a family too, but it is a problem I would love to be over. Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder is a sub group of the Somatoform Disorder, this means you have less symptoms. Included in this list are; Hypochondriasis,Body Dismorhia,Conversion Disorder and others.

This website lists the Somatoform disorders, please note that Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder only needs one symptom for 6 months, whereas Somatization has several- but I believe the symptoms can be similiar.
Hope this helps some people out there?
Here are a few useful sites to look at.
www.shooper.freeserve.co.uk/nina/disorder.html (http://www.shooper.freeserve.co.uk/nina/disorder.html)

agent orange
07-11-08, 20:46
Are there any Mental Health/Nurses out there who have come across this
disorder? I was told I had it but not sure how I was to deal and manage it.
It is a very frustrating thing to have.

Cathy V
07-11-08, 21:10
Hi agent, this is the definition as i understand it.

USD occurs when a person has physicl complaints for more than 6 months that cannot be attributed to any physical disorder.

Well that just about cover most of the memebers on the forum! but its a bit confusing to read up about it, and not too sure what the difference is between this condition and that of a hypochondriac? be good if you could explain it, thanks.

Cathy xxx :)

agent orange
07-11-08, 21:17
Hi Cathy. I think they run together. The mental professional I saw gave me a dual diagnoses. Hypochondriasis is listed alongside USD and other Somatoform Disorders. It may be that others who visit this site could well suffer from this condition; but as I am not a professional I cannot diagnose and It is dangerous to do so. Please check out the site that I listed if you are interested. Somatoform disorders are wide and varied.

Tony

Cathy V
07-11-08, 21:50
Thanks agent, i will take a look xxx

agent orange
28-12-08, 17:01
I have slightly updated the information here. I hope that it may help some others out there.

agent orange
29-12-08, 11:41
I would like for this to be put in with health anxiety as I believe a lot of people could be suffering from this, but it must be diagnosed by a mental health professional. What do the No more Panic people think?
Agent Orange

itoldyouiwasill
29-12-08, 13:53
I am of the opinion that somatisation is somatisation regardless of the label you put on it.

ALL physical anxiety is somatic by definition. The causality of physical anxiety symptoms is mental, yes it generates a real physical sensation but the starting point of this is not organic...it is mental.

The problem is that we fall into the trap of fearing and analysing our weird and wonderful sensations and this only leads to more mental causality and therefore more and more powerful physical sensations. This is not groundbreaking stuff, this is know to the medial community and is widely accepted.

I think the real interesting thing in all of this is why we choose on whatever level to play the game? The idea of somatic sensations as a distraction is interesting here and it is at this point where we need to cut in and examine just what it is that makes our current 'health anxiety nightmare' quite a comfortable and easy place to be in on some level.

agent orange
29-12-08, 14:12
I agree with your last point, but it is very difficult when you are in it.

itoldyouiwasill
29-12-08, 16:15
I agree with your last point, but it is very difficult when you are in it.

...tell me about it:weep:

agent orange
30-12-08, 11:16
Sometimes we must just try to laugh, because we need it....