PDA

View Full Version : fear of anaesthetic

steam
08-11-08, 13:46
I am suffering from anxiety because I was told I needed an exploratory op on my ankle. During the 5 week wait i could not think of anything else but the actual anaesthetic.I was in a state of constant fear with a cold shivery nervous feeling continually passing through my body Another consultant has told me I do not need an operation but I still get a bout of nerves and panic when i think about the op. I am now taking citanopram(3 weeks), but cannot overcome this fear. Obviously i cannot confront an operating theatre as therapy. Any ideashow to overcome this fear?

Ddcoo
08-11-08, 15:12
Hi Steam, would it be possible to phone the hospital to see if there is anyone there that would explain exactly what to expect IF you did have to have an operation. Only a thought., but they may have someone, you are certainly not the only one to fear anaesthetics.

skutter
08-11-08, 16:23
I dont really have any advice but i just wanted to say i know how you feel. i too am worried about anaesthetic. i work in a hospital i see it every day and that people are fine! but i know i would be in great panic if i ever had to have an op.

sheena
08-11-08, 16:55
I had a great fear of anaesthetic. I had cataracts in both my eyes and kept cancelling the operation. Eventually I became nearly blind in left eye and had to have it done. I took 3 ativan before I went to the hospital and took a friend with me.

I could I have had the op done with a local anaesthic but because I suffer from panick attacks it was best that I went under.

Don't worry, it was fine I came around and my friend was beside my bed.

I then had the other eye done.

I know feel that when I need plastic surgery I will be fine with the anaesthetic lol.

Sheena