PDA

View Full Version : Panic on a Train

sadie
03-12-03, 23:03
Hi all

Today I suffered a full blown panic attack, my first in a few weeks. I was on my way home from work at the time and had just gor on the train. The train was very stuffy, busy and I had to stand due to it being overcrowded. I suddenly felt like my chest was going to explode and I kep thinking what I have fall down or faint or something. I was scared because this isnt my normal train that I get and I realised that I didnt know anyone on this train. I felt scared that if something were to happen to me on this train there would be no friendly face close by to help me.

However, during the attack all I kept trying to make myself think about was what would the guys on the nomorepanic website do, what advice would they give me. I kept thinking, well this has happened many times before and Im still here so I can get through this again and lots of people suffer the same symptoms. Its just too much adrenaline because I had to rush for the train, thats all. It took a while to die down to be honest because I found it difficult to control my breathing on the train. I felt people would be looking at me strangely. Eventually I met my husband once I got off the train and he managed to reassure me that everything was ok.

I am disappointed in myself for not being able to control it better from the start..but better luck next time!!

Has anyone else experienced panic attacks on trains or very public places? How do you manage to cope?

sadie

nomorepanic
03-12-03, 23:41
Hi Sadie

Sorry to hear that but you did well - you survived so well done!!

I was driving home last night and heard that the A1 roundabout I needed to get off at was closed. I drove up the A1 and thought "ok, i can get off soon and avoid it!". The panic was terrible, I managed to turn off just b4 it got to the solid traffic jam and I was so scared!

I tried to remember all the posts on here - and all the advice but at the time it all went out the window so I know how you feel.

Please feel good that you survived it and did well to cope.

Nicola

diana
03-12-03, 23:52
Hiya Sadie,

Don`t beat yourself up, you did well. YOU SURVIVED!!!! that`s what`s important. Now you know next time you survived today, you`ll survive the next. Keep ya chin up!! Keep the positive thoughts going. This to shall pass.

Take care,

Diana xxx

benoo5
03-12-03, 23:56
sadie,

ime soo proud of you...you did soo well!

this happened to emily,and she used a technique,that she had read..she did an a-z of animals,for instance,a = albatros,ok i know thats a bird,but ime a cheat..she got up to n,and couldnt think of one,so she then said..nice cat,nice dog,nice pig etc,it was her way of lowering the panic,and this was on london underground,and no one likes using that.

i think you did brill...ps,i think your husbands a great guy too....best wishes..bryan.

sadie
04-12-03, 00:05
Thanks guys

You dont know just how much all your help, support and kind words mean to me.. especially times like today!!I am so grateful.

sadie

sarap
04-12-03, 13:13
Sadie,

I've had panic attacks on trains and tubes too. But please don't do what I have done and avoid trains altogether. I haven't been on a train for four years and will insist upon getting the bus or taxi even if it's more expensive or a longer journey.

So please, Sadie, get back on a train soon even for just one or two stops just to prove to yourself that you can do it - because you can! I wish that's what I had done so that it didn't seem like such a mountain to climb now.

Best wishes,

Sara x

Lottie32
04-12-03, 13:28
Hi Sadie

Sorry to hear you had another attack - they always seem worse when you have been doing so well, and are free of them for a while!

But think positive - you made the journey, you were ok afterwards, and at least you didn't get that bad that you had to pull the emergency cord and run off screaming down a siding!

I hate the crowds when I go shopping, and always do my Xmas shopping at the beginning of November, cos I can't cope with cities nearer the time. I had to go to me nearest city last Saturday and didn't go till 4. It was great as the shops were emptying, and most were open till 6!.

Do you have to take that train? Is there a quieter, less stuffy one slightly later? Can you text somebody whilst an attack is happening to share it with them? Problem shared is a problem halved and all that!Also remember, that most of the time when you are having an attack, nobody else can tell!!!

Try not to be too down on yourself - you came back out the other side, and sometimes thats all you can do. I know that there have been lots of posts where people "forget" how to breathe during attacks, even though they have been practicing and practicing for ages. It's a vicious circle - practice makes panic breathing easier to control, but we are striving daily not to have the attack, so therefore don't get the panic to practice with!!!

Stay positive - you did it and coped!

Charlie

florence
04-12-03, 14:12
Hi Sadie,
I know too how you felt.
Had panic attacks in trains, buses, cars.....all transports don't seem to agree with me! The only transport where I did not have a single panic attack is the ferry. Strange, huh? I cannot explain it.
Maybe its claustrophobia, maybe its the motion or maybe its fear of an accident, I am not sure.
Oh well maybe one day I will find the reason of all my fears.
Take care.
Florence.

twister
04-12-03, 14:48
I have to take a 5 hour ferry journey in 5 weeks!

Weird thing about my distraction technique is the psychiatrist told me it is one of my crutches and I'll need to learn to stop it. But then the book he sold me recommended it again! I will ask my CBT therapist.

Emily

Laurie28
04-12-03, 15:02
Twister,

my CBT therapist told me distraction techniques are fine if it helps take my mind off things! (ie if i eat something I am scared off and then keep busy!!)

Must admit distraction is the best 'crutch' I have found so far

love
Lucky

diana
04-12-03, 15:11
Hiya Em,

Wierd the psychiatrist tellling you that. I would think whatever gets you through the day without harming yourself with things like alcohol etc, etc, etc would be just fine. Like you say it is a "TECHNIQUE", something you know that works for you, a survival technique if you will. What is wrong with that????? I think a technique that works for you is a survival mechanism not a crutch!!! because you are dealing with the issue at hand. However taking a pint or so to ease the issues would be considered a crutch to me, but that is just my opinion. I`m not a psychiatrist, actually some would say I should take stock in one LOL........., but that just does`nt make any sense to me????? Hopefully your CBT will set you straight on rather to continue on with your "TECHNIQUE" or not. What a terrible thing to tell you whilst you are seeking help, when you know that atleast you have your "TECHNIQUE" until you know of something better to do to get you through a bad day. I hope all works out for you, stay positive though.

Take care,

Diana xxx

Magster
04-12-03, 17:06
I can't really say that I've ever even had the chance to do public transportation. I live in the states in a suburb of Chicago, so I usually do all the driving myself. However, I've been terrified to do that sometimes. My mom, having gone thru horrible PAs in her life and getting over them, has always told me to do exactly what I am scared of. Otherwise this panic will consume me far too much. Life cannot be lived like this. We must push ourselves farther past this everytime. And everytime we do, we will be closer to freedom that we haven't felt in a long time. Good Luck Everyone !!!!!!!

nomorepanic
04-12-03, 21:35
quote:Originally posted by florence

Had panic attacks in trains, buses, cars.....all transports don't seem to agree with me! The only transport where I did not have a single panic attack is the ferry. Strange, huh? I cannot explain it.
Maybe its claustrophobia, maybe its the motion or maybe its fear of an accident, I am not sure.

I don't do any public transport atall and I have to drive myself. The only person I let drive me is Alex (my partner). Not sure about boats - not been on one for over 10 years!!

Nicola

uryjm
04-12-03, 22:55
Planes sometimes get me. Espescially on Ryanair and Easyjet when I try to be smart and grab the extra legroom seats next to the door. At thirty thousand feet, I usually start to ponder what would happen if I went for the door? What if I tried to wrestle it open, screaming, frothing at the mouth as the plane goes into an emergency dive and passengers weep in their seats.
Oh yes, I can chuckle at this now sitting comfortably two feet off the ground, but I have endured this mental battle, pulling my seat belt tighter around me to prevent me bolting from the chair. As usual, on one level I "know" it's not going to happen, and on the other I'm severely worried it might! Doing a crossword can help take my mind off it.
On British Airways early evening flights, you get a hot scone with cream and jam. I used to find this relaxing until I started wondering what would happen if I choked at thirty thousand feet? Cue constricting throat, rapidly drying mouth, inability to swallow, panic rising. Really, you have to laugh....but it's normally when I'm back on solid ground.

Jim

twister
04-12-03, 23:07
you can't open the doors on a plane whilst they are flying the air pressure would be too great and they are such a struggle to get off anyway (saw it on a tv programme)you'd be wrestled to the ground before too long if you even tried!

Emily

diana
04-12-03, 23:49
Hiya Jim,

You are hilarious!!! LOL......... Your post had me laughing out loud in front of my computer, with everyone watching me (like I am crazy). I know you can laugh now, but I also know at the moment it is happening it is "NO" laughing matter. It made me reflect back to some pretty "NOW" hilarious things I`ve thought and done whilst going into full panic. I know how you feel, but is`nt it funny now? Keep posting, I love your unique way of bringing your experiences to life. :)

Take care,

Diana xxx

uryjm
05-12-03, 00:27
Twister
You can't open doors on a plane while it's flying?
That's what they WANT you to think.

Jim

diana
05-12-03, 02:29
LOL...... That`s probably true Jim. They are probably just waiting for someone like us to get on there and have to wrestle ourselves to the ground to stay away from that damn door!!!! LOL......... :) Now everytime, which is`nt so often I take a plane I`ll be thinking about that, and watch who ever is sitting by the door!!!! LOL....

Diana xxx

Meg
05-12-03, 18:16
I did air ambulance work for years - bringing people home on lear jets as well as normal carriers and people did go for the doors - mainly kids being inquisitive.

Didn't see any frothing people, although when I went to the USA during my anxiety period,I did think it could be me and also tightened my belt to respiratory restrictive lengths.

I nearly warned the cabin crew that I might be a danger but the many thoughts of the implications of that was enough of a humourous distraction to get me over it.

Also I had to help my seat neighbour through a bout of chest pain.

There is nothing like helping someone else through some incident to forget your own woes.

I do like setting off those shutes though, we had to do it several times during air ambulance training and slide down ...

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Meg
05-12-03, 18:21
Sadie,

You did fine.. well done for controlling the panic.

Now you do need to do it again so you're not left with the bad memories foremost in your mind should oyu end up theer by mistake again.

The heat and stuffiness on the trains really doesn't help either - blame that partially.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
05-12-03, 19:05
Wow Meg,

Quite an exciting career that must have been. I know after reading this, when I go out of the country in July 2004, I will be acting out all of these impulses. Just have to make sure I let my partner know to seal me in my seat!!! and not let me out till the flight is over. LOL............... :) I never want to sit by the door, though I would like the extra leg room, for fear that the pressure will build up at the door whilst I`m on the plane and suck me right out the door!!!!! Something I do not want to experience especially while being overly anxious. LOL............ :)

Take care all,

Diana xxx

sadie
05-12-03, 22:10
Hi all

I have to use the train everyday to get to work so theres no way I would be able to fear using the train. I think that the other day I just wasnt feeling the best from when I woke up and the stuffiness on the train etc definetly didnt help. Tonight I felt slightly anxious on the train, as where I was sitting I could feel every movement of the train and I felt it was going quite fast!!

Anyway, I survived another journey so thats pretty good.

Cheers everyone

sadie

twister
07-12-03, 22:07
can everyone here who might open the doors on a plane just let me know when and where they are going to fly![}:)]

Emily

diana
09-12-03, 00:01
Hiya Emily,

I would request the same, but I might be one of those people now after reading that post. LOL..........., but no worry I don`t intend to fly for awhile. LOL......... :)

Diana xxx

swiftler
15-12-03, 00:27
hello im new....its a struggle reading up on all the topics but i too have had an attack on the train. I travel to university everyday and although its only a 20min journey, its not what i would call the most comfortable 20mins in my day.

I find it better to sit in the ends of the coaches....in the vestebules (check spelling.) It feels better to be out of the way. This is why i like to sit at the back of buses.

diana
15-12-03, 21:10
Hiya swiftler,

Welcome aboard. I know when we are feeling anxious and or panicky it is hard to do certain things that bring these feelings on, but whatever you do, do not stop using the train or any other form of public transportation. This is the only means of overcoming this fear. Keep up the good work, be consistent. Keep posting to let us know how you are getting on.

Take care,

Diana xxx

swiftler
16-12-03, 20:58
thanks!...o havnt stopped using the train....in fact, the train home is my comfort point...it leaves me thinking that i only have 20mins until im in total comfort!

diana
17-12-03, 15:12
Good for you Swiftler. Keep reading all the different topics, you will find alot of help here. If you need any other help, just post someone is always here for you.

Take care,

Diana xxx

sadie
17-12-03, 22:45
Hi Swiftler,

I need to use the train everyday and find I get quite anxious on the train..especially if its overcrowded, or i feel its going to fast. But as Diana says try and not avoid using the train as it just adds fuel to your fear. I always make sure i get on the train early so that I am not rushing and dont get a seat. I buy a magazine or read a book to take my mind off it or nod off for a quick snooze...If I feel really bad like I did just the other week, I just do some deep breathing and think some positive thoughts which always help.

Take care

sadie

Lottie32
18-12-03, 10:59
Hi Sadie

Glad you are still "battling on" with the whole train thing! I know you haven't got much choice, but I'm still proud of you - the nearest I get to a train is watching Thomas when I go and see my friends kids!

Books are an ideal distraction. I've got millions of the things, and am running out of places to store them (I can re-read a book several times - one of the joys of having a rubbish memory I suppose!)

Take care

Charlie

sadie
19-12-03, 22:23
Thanks Charlie,

Today I had another little attack whilst running for the train again...but I managed to stop the anxiety getting worse by thinking about Susan who left a message on the 'Success stories' page about how she and her other family members managed to overcome their anxiety. I just thought well if they can do it so can I...eventually I nodded off to sleep and woke up in a bit of a panic as I nearly missed my stop!!
I was also a bit hungover today so thats probably not helped...nevermind I will learn one day.

Take care

sadie