PDA

View Full Version : citalopram to mirtazapine

mrd1966
09-11-08, 12:03
My Doctor switched me from 40mg citalopram to 15mg mirtazapine a week ago - just switching without any overlap period. This was to improve my sleep and appetite. I took citalopram for 2 years.
For the first day I felt tranquilised and "nice", but since then things have gone downhill. Sleep and appetite have not improved. I feel faint and tired in the evenings and generally unwell, last night a woke up shivering in the night, and I feel tearful.
Anyone else have experiences switching between these drugs?

Smiley?
09-11-08, 18:35
I've just changed from citalopram to mirtazapine too. Was on Citalporam 20mg for about 6 months. I stopped taking it suddenly (doctor agreed this was ok and didn't come off gradually), had 2 weeks with nothing and wasn't hugely worse but wasn't sleeping well at all! Started Mirtazapine 15mg on Tuesday.

Sleeping is definitely better but have been drowsy during the day. Today was the first time my boyfriend let me drive! I still don't know if anything is better - I feel more numb than anything else i think?! Sometimes I feel like I'm going to cry but the tears can't get out! I've been a bit achey and had quite a lot of headaches but other than that ok. My appetite is fine but i've never had a problem with eating! If anything i'm concerned about putting weight on.

I suppose I've not been taking the med long enough to see the full effects it will have.

devon ferret
04-02-09, 18:02
I also switched from Citalopram to Mirtazapine recently -along with others I've noticed a definite increase in appetite, reduced concentration (still not driving), feeling very sleepy about an hour after taking them and generally feeling spaced out. I'm very glad I saw these side effects on this forum before I experienced them - I know they will pass in time. Am very glad I work from home and have a very flexible employment situation as I'd be no use in an office!

felipe
12-03-09, 21:06
I also recently switched (sleeping problems) Initially I have been sleeping better but during the day I too feel as though life is taking place around me and I am not taking part in it. Mornings are the worst - headaches and general apathy and lethargy. Sometimes I feel more irritable than I did on Citalopram. The worst thing is the sciatica that I have (though this may be as a result of the beta blockers I'm also on?)
I'm aware of the possibility that mirt may lead to putting on weight so I have reduced my intake of food to try and counter the effects.
I've only been on Mirtazapine for a week so I'm hoping these side effects will lessen as my GP wants me to increase the dode to 30mg after two weeks.
I'm beginning to panic that I will become a walking zombie!!

Philip:shrug:

tigeranx
22-04-09, 12:15
Just like to say thanks to everyone whos posted on this thread.

I am in the same boat now and was concerned but reading this thread has certainly answered some of the questions I had.

I am currently doing driving lessons and looking at going for my test in about 2 months. Probably changing to mirtazapine wouldnt be a great idea now if the driving is as bad as it appears.

I am on 40mg Citalopram and 80mg propropanol daily at the moment and although I arent feeling great, I need to pass my driving test to progress with my life, which will in turn make me feel better and hopefully less anxious etc etc.

Hmm, back to the docs I think. Although Mirtazapine sounds great for me, the side effects whilst trying to pass my driving test clearly dont:scared15:

2serenity
07-07-09, 23:06
Citalopram (20mg) has been very effective at lifting me out of depression and anxiety in the past, especially at more stressful times. Once I graduated from Uni I was able to take stock of how I was feeling and decided that I could improve my wellbeing further. I was having trouble sleeping and didn't want to continue taking sleeping aids (Zolpidem, Valium). My appetite was low and along with IBS, this was making eating difficult. My libido was down and I had sexual dysfunction problems, particularly erectile dysfunction and difficulty orgasming. These are three crucial things to a human! Sleep, food and sex are important to me! So despite Citalopram's effectiveness, my psych suggested I try Mirtazapine. It would help me sleep due to sedative effects, help me pick up my appetite and becasue it is not an SSRI, the sexual problems would be lifted.

I started on 15mg 7 nights ago (stopping Citalopram immediately). The first night I slept for about 16 hours! This was welcome as I was sleep deprived. I felt drowsy the day after but a little exercise helped. I have been eating well which is also welcome.

The medicine is taking some getting used to. I have decided to take it easy for another couple of weeks as my body gets used to the medicine.

An interresting side effect are the long and drawn out, lucid dreams I am experiencing. It has helped to go to bed feeling as peaceful as possible so that my dreams remain positive. I had one nightmarish dream, but I realised the day after that I was feeling a bit angry on the previous day. This effect seems to be wearing off a bit.

I feel restless during the day, but taking breaks to take deep breaths helps.

I have also been feeling a bit angry. I think this is because some of the anger has been waiting to be released and the Citalopram was holding it down due to its numbing side effect. I've found that deep breathing helps to calm this anger, and in writing my journal, it has been productive to find the roots of this anger and try and find a solution. This anger has actually led to a productive outcome, increasing my well being.

I think that this medicine is going to work for me, however I have to give it time to work. It is a different type of antidepressent to Citalopram and will involve changing lifestyle and habits. I am enjoying the changes and feel positive.

tom1
08-07-09, 11:20
Hi, I recently did a transition from Venlfaxine to Mirtazapine, so I kinda know what you are going through. I've been on Mirtazapine around 10 days now, and like you, on the first day it knocked me out, however over time it doesn't seem to have much the same effect. I have experienced bouts of anger too, I hear this is quite common on Mirtazapine, it has been easing off though. I am on 15mg.

lonely
08-07-09, 19:28
me too tom1 i think i started on it 3days after you but still on venlafaxine too, knocked me out first day, still get up later towards 11am - 11.40am which is late for me though, but not as sleepy during day like first day, today i was angry but then again anybody would of been with a bus driver we had to put up with who left us in the middle of nowhere with my anxiety levels already high
i am also on 15mg

Howzat1980
04-08-09, 11:44
I have also been switched from Escitalopram to Mirtazapine. This is my second week on Mirt and i will be seeing my doctor on Thursday. Before reading this forum i didn't really understand why i was feeling more angry then before and why i was also a little teary.

I came of Escitalopram on the day i began the Mirt so i guess i am also just getting off that and waiting for the mirt to kick in.

insecureme
14-09-09, 10:13
my experience on this is similar to Felipe's (above).

I switched from 40 Citalopram to 45mg Mirtazapine about 2 years ago again because I was sleeping problems. My doc told me instead of taking citalopram in the morning I should take the Mirtazapine in the evening due to its sedative effect.

It worked at first, tho I did find myself waking up after midday. I was the advised to take it a bit earlier in the evening so the effects would wear off earlier in the morning if that makes sense, and that did improve things.

I had no unpleasaht side effects on switching, but have experienced weight gain. I have managed to get that under control and even lose some by exercising and healthy eating, tho I have recently had a relapse so am unable to do that now.

Good luck whatever the decision!

xclairex
14-10-09, 02:34
i have just recentley switched from 40mg citolapram to 15mg of mirtazapine, i had 3 days without any meds and then started the mirtazapine and felt so bad dizzy, sick and like i was really drunk is the best way i can discribe it! this lasted for about 2 weeks and now the only side affect is been so sleepy i cant wake up until around 2pm most days. I discussed this with my doctor and she advised that at a lower dose mirtazapine can make u feel sadated but this isnt the case with a higher dose. I start a higher dose of 30mg 2nite after 4/5 weeks at 15mg.
i hope this helps and will let u know how i get on!

clairescavys
07-11-09, 11:34
Hi everyone

I've been on Cipramil for 5years or so, and have agreed with my Dr to change to mirtazapine. Pleasemay I ask if it is safe to change immediately from one to the other? (E.g. last dose of cipramil on Friday morning and start the mirtazapine Saturday evening)? Also, does mirtazapine clash with diazepam, as although I don't take diaxepam reguarly (only in emergencies when things get really bad), I had to take one last night (Friday night).

Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

KK77
07-11-09, 13:38
Hi everyone

I've been on Cipramil for 5years or so, and have agreed with my Dr to change to mirtazapine. Pleasemay I ask if it is safe to change immediately from one to the other? (E.g. last dose of cipramil on Friday morning and start the mirtazapine Saturday evening)? Also, does mirtazapine clash with diazepam, as although I don't take diaxepam reguarly (only in emergencies when things get really bad), I had to take one last night (Friday night).

Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

I think it's a good idea to taper the citalopram if you've been on it so long over a week or so before you start the mirtazapine. Diazepam with mirtazapine can cause a lot of tiredness/sedation so bare that in mind. Hope you do well.

jpm
16-11-09, 17:37
Hi, i also switched to mirtazapine 35mg on thursday last week i slept like a log but woke late feeling dizzy and zombi like all day cant stop eating now each day is the same feel drunk and cant focus. i went for a walk and had a very bad panic attack so now iam very uneasy about going out alone. I also feel uneasy and tearfull most of the day. although iam sleeping better i dont feel like ive slept. I start to feel like i could sleep and when i close my eyes i get a sort of light show i dont know if anyone else has this. I beleave when taking this it would be better if your not alone. I dont feel safe now even cooking and making hot drinks makes me uneasy ive never felt like this before. I dont know what to do,do i keep taking them or stop and see the doctor when i feel i can go out.

sportynic1
22-11-09, 14:29
hi i was on mirtazpine for 2 yrs and they were good at making me sleep but they didnt cope the panic attacks at all.theyt made me put on so much weight so i went back to my gp and am now on citalopram. the side affects are crazy :-(. dont like them at all.its like i cant sleep eat drink or do anything.its not be being lazy i just cant be borthed to do anything.all i do is sleep during the day and am up all night.i get that sleepy i just wanna cry.
i just feel like am out of it. like if someone says something to me i dont listen and i just sit there.bet they think am just being rude am not its cause of the pills.how long does the side affacts stay for? ive been on citalopram for 4 weeks now 20mg and i just wanna get back to my old self.

nickprince
03-01-10, 11:05
Is any one using citalopram and mirtazapine together? As I am:scared15:

connely
21-01-10, 11:42
hi there im a 40 yr old mental health nurse and have experienced depression on-off for 25yrs. my last change to my medication was from 60mg citalopam to mitazapine 15mg initially. i was experiencing difficulty sleeping often awake all night which was ok when i worked nights but when required to work days took its tole, my appitite was none existent and slowley my mood was getting worse and feelings of upset and outbursts of crying more frequent, so i visited the doctor and he suggested mitazapine, i was to tailer down to 20mg over a period of 4 weeks, then i started 15mg of mitazapine within 2 days i felt so unwell drowsy, pins needles, not be bothered to do anything and spent two full days in bed, then after that things seemed to get better. i began waking early in the morning, less feeling like a zombie and pinns/needles not every day. returned to doctors due to experiencing some problems with sleeping on some nights my medication was increased to 30mg on a night. staight away i felt the sedative effect and over the next two weeks my emotions were high then low and began to feel angry that i had become ill. By the 3rd week my mood lifted so much and i could think positive again and make plans to return to work, i still experience pinns and needles on occasions but have been assured they will subside in time. Mitazapine has been so effect to me its enabled me to think again and if you are experiencing any of these symptoms stick with it because the side effects do subside and if they dont tell your doctor as my doctor was so supportive and helped me in every way he could. Now im just waiting to go back to work, maybe working nights is off the agenda but im sure days will be enough.

regards
connelly:yesyes:

smudger
21-01-10, 15:28
The week before xmas the doc switched me without weaning from 40mg citalopram to 15mg mirtazapine. Ive had the worse xmas EVER! At last, this week I think Im turning a corner and I thought I never would! The side effects are lessening (drowsiness, anger,food cravings,paranoia etc etc) and I'm eating healthy again and exercising. Hope it lasts but Im realistic to know not every day will be the same. I think once I get my temper/anger (medication causes this) sorted I will be satisfied with the status quo! Hope you are encouraged by this my friend.:hugs:

anxietycontrol
23-01-10, 01:10
the first tablet i took of mirt i felt the difference, maybe my anxiety messing with me again that made me think they worked. after a few weeks i was still anxious. it just stopped the panic attacks.

JT69
16-02-10, 13:57
Hi Smudger, just read the post above, I know I have posted to you on different threads but hadn't realised you had gone from 40mg citalopram to 15mg mirtazipine without any weaning. I was weaned in a week. Now this coming Friday I will of been taking the mirtazipine for 2 weeks ( I see the GP Friday). I am thinking of asking to come off the meds. I have lost the depression/anxiety but am really struggling with both withdrawal from cit (poxy zaps continuous throughout my body all day every day) and the mirt has made me more hungry but mostly late afternoon and eves, but I feel clumsy and bloated. My hands are swollen a little too. I have checked my BP and that is ok. Perhaps the Gp will give me something for the odema when I go??? Any advise you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks. Jo.

smudger
16-02-10, 17:22
Hi JT69. All I can say I am afraid is that it wasn't til day 46 until the effects wore off for me and Im not sure if they were withdrawal from the citalopram or side effects of the mirtazapine. Looking back I don't know how I coped for so long but I did. Where I am now is I have good days and bad. If I eat healthy and exercise combined with the mirt its more good days. I am not sure long term if I can stay on it though as I believe my problems need to be tackled via diet (i am having a blood test tomorrow for various things). At the moment though, to get me through my holiday I will stay with the mirt. I have put on 10 pounds in weight since I started the mirt despite exercising and eating better (at the start I did eat naughty things I have to admit) That really bothers me. I do not crave sweet things as much now though, thats wearing off if thats any comfort. I don't know anything about odema. You definately need to consult doc bout that. I still find I have bouts of anger with this drug too and it is like a sleeping tablet when I go to bed even after this length of time taking it! Don't know how I am going to deal with this on holiday?I still feel its early days for you to expect effects to be completely gone but if you do find it unbearable then its up to you whether you continue or not. Only you can decide. If you take something esle you may have to start all over again with the side effects. Have you thought about that? Don't let the doc push you into anything you don't want to do though. Its your body! Good luck.

JT69
17-02-10, 12:30
Hi Smuder, thanks for that. I just had 2 really bad days and have been in tears alot with the sheer frustration. I just kept thinking I will never feel normal again whatever normal feels like. You are right if I do change yes will have to start all over again etc and what choice is there for me?? The citalopram stopped working and having tried other types of meds before unsucessfully has made my mind up to stick with it. I am being naughty with food in the eves especially but I just need that comfort at the moment, I will just have to worry about that later on, so hard too when I'm unable to leave the house at the moment. You say effects wore off on day 46 :ohmy:!!! Is that when you felt totally normal again?? Did effects gradually wear off before that??? I know what you mean when you say you dont know if its the withdrawal or the side effects of the new!!! Total pain up the bum not knowing. My problem is I am such an active person (find it really hard to sit down and relax I am always on the go) and feeling like this I just cannot do as much as I want to, I am just going to have to try. I have 2 weeks left after this week and I am suposed to be returning to work (even though not full time at first) and I know if these effects have not worn off a bit I just wont be able to do it. Having being off since mid October I really want to get back to work and am feeling increasingly anxious about this. Sorry i have just gone on and on to you (all my thoughts coming tumbling out). Didnt mean to rant for so long. Thanks for your advice its invaluable to me at the moment. JO.

JT69
23-02-10, 21:58
Hi, Day 18 today of my change from citalopram to mirtazipine and at last am starting to feel the benefit. The "zaps" have almost gone (horray!!!) never thought they would. I still feel very dozy when I first wake up in the mornings, but by mid morning feel awake. Hope this continues and will keep posting how I feel and how it is going. Jo.

darren1970
25-02-10, 12:06
I've changed from 60mg of citalopram to mirtazapine. Started on 15mg, then 30mg and now I'm on 45mg. I feel like a zombie all day and I'm getting the zaps that people are mentioning. I'm a teacher in a school for kids with behavioural problems and I'm finding this transition VERY difficult, especially having school management that doesn't understand or help.

smudger
25-02-10, 12:25
Bloomin eck Darren, can't u have a bit off time off sick to get through the transition? Its not an easy med. If only people realised!

JT69
25-02-10, 13:59
My God Darren, how are you coping??? How quickly have you upped your dosage?? I went from 40mg cit to nothing in a week then started on 15mg mirtazipine. Day 20 today and the zaps have almost gone (just the odd one now and then) I was having them all day every day, I feel a little sleepy when I wake but it soon wears off now. I could not cope with work at the moment though. I am only just starting to turn the corner. I had a probably 2 and half weeks of feeling not myself and having both withdrawal and side effects at the same time. I think you need a bit of time off to get used to the meds. Let us know how you get on. Jo.

pinkylee38
22-09-13, 15:21
I've been on mirtazipine for over 3rys now and the only benefit is that my sleep is ok but apart from that I still feel depressed,crying and very low mood so now im going to take citalapram

Saoirse
02-10-13, 23:14
Pinkylee38, get back to your GP sharpish and have your meds re-evaluated. Are you have psychotherapy/therapy too as medication alone won't shift it. Good luck

ChuckMo
21-10-13, 00:52
First off I'm new here and want to say hello to you all! I'm in opposite boat than all of you are and would appreciate any input you may have. My doctor is switching me from Remeron (mirtazapine) to Celexa (citalopram) for anxiety, severe panic attacks and depression. My question is how did the citalopram work for extreme anxiety, agoraphobia and panic attacks? My mirtazapine helped for the first few months on it then one day out of the blue it just stopped working for my anxiety and panic attacks. As for my depression mirtazapine worked wonders and worked quickly if this helps any of you! Thanks for help in advance!!!

hanshan
22-10-13, 10:39
Hi Chuck,

Sorry to hear the mirtazapine stopped working, and hope citalopram can work for you. To get more responses, you might want to re-post on the citalopram thread. That way, you can get responses from people who have switched from a number of medications to citalopram, as well as those who've taken it all along.

Good luck.

MarkHollywood
24-04-16, 19:07
my experience on this is similar to Felipe's (above).

I switched from 40 Citalopram to 45mg Mirtazapine about 2 years ago again because I was sleeping problems. My doc told me instead of taking citalopram in the morning I should take the Mirtazapine in the evening due to its sedative effect.

It worked at first, tho I did find myself waking up after midday. I was the advised to take it a bit earlier in the evening so the effects would wear off earlier in the morning if that makes sense, and that did improve things.

I had no unpleasaht side effects on switching, but have experienced weight gain. I have managed to get that under control and even lose some by exercising and healthy eating, tho I have recently had a relapse so am unable to do that now.

Good luck whatever the decision!

insecureme: are you still on Mirt? what dose? How's it working now? i am switching from Celexa...

do you get headaches? do they go away?

Istherehope?
24-04-16, 19:28
Hi Mark, as insecureme's post is quite old I don't know if they will see this post or not so I thought I'd just say 'hi'.

I switched from Citalopram to Mirtazapine last year without much in the way of side effects apart from the sedation which passed after a week or so. I ended up adding Venlafaxine so I'm now on a combination of both Mirt/Ven.

What dose are you switching from/to? Have you started yet?

Hope it goes well.

tiredofthis14
24-04-16, 20:12
this post was really helpful especially about zaps!
i was switched from duloxitine to mirt and for 6 days straight it feels like someone poking me with a taser constantly cant concentrate its awful as bad as 20 odd days sound im glad urs went eventually!

Adam3893
12-07-16, 13:41
Hi I am Adam i don't know how's this works but here goes I am 35 I was in the army I suffered bad with depression and alcohol I used to take cit 40mg and came off them cold turkey thinking I was ok I wasn't really I met girl of dreams and wanted to change I stopped drinking and had health kick lost 2 and half stone currently I was month in and need to control my moods so went to docs and put back on cit 20mg well I was like a zombie so went back and put on 15mg Mirt my mood improves but not 100% I recently lost that girl due to moods so went back after two week trail and he upped my dose to 30mg I feel really bad today weak worthless hope this passes I just want to know is this just because of increased dose and will it get better as only day 3 on 30mg?? Thanks all of u in advance Adam X