PDA

View Full Version : Holiday panic!

rocklover
09-11-08, 15:06
Hi,

Was diagnosed with anxiety in Sept and my main symptoms were severe nausea, feeling restless and jumpy, electricity feeling in my arms, no ability to concentrate, mild agoraphobia. About 3 weeks ago I decided to come off meds as they made me worse and I woke up about 3 days later and felt fine, no symptoms, nothing (apart from my IBS lol).

Tomorrow I am flying out to Florida with my daughter, my parents, my sister and her husband. I have been looking forward to it and to be honest, I have hardly been worrying. However, today I woke up with the horrible jittery feeling and the nausea is back, I am trying to calm myself down, but the adrenaline has really hit. I know I have beaten before, but at the moment I am really struggling, I am having the what if thoughts, especially "what if I go back to the way I was before".

Help, what can I do? I am leaving for a hotel at Gatwick in just over an hour!!!

andie73
09-11-08, 15:19
Hi

If you have beaten it before then you know you can beat it this time. It's normal to be anxious before going away as it is such a hectic time. Once you get there you will relax and start enjoying yourself I am sure.

Remember to try to slow your breathing down and try to distract yourself from your negative thougts.

rocklover
09-11-08, 16:07
Thanks Andrea, We are off in about 10 mins. I am trying to remain as calm as possible and to just concentrate on doing what needs to be done before we leave.

I feel a bit better at the moment, the anxiety seems to be going up and down. We are staying in 2 villas, so it should be alot less stressful than staying in a hotel, as we get to do our own thing so to speak.

I will let you know how I do when I get back!

yeppy
09-11-08, 18:29
I know exactly how you feel. I look forward to every holiday but about a week before i go away anywhere i start to get the anxiety symptoms. They build up and up and up until by the time i go away i feel awful. I think the main reason they begin is because i think to myself 'what if i panic on holiday and no one is there to help me'. Yet by panicking i'm doing exactly what i'm afraid of. I have just been away for the weekend but was feeling anxious the whole time. However i managed to get on a plane to go travelling for 9 months no problems so it CAN be beaten!!

nicgrace
10-11-08, 11:35
I too suffer terribly being away from home. The anxiety is so overwhleming that it just ruins the break / holiday / meeting with friends or even a meal with family!

I really dont know why it happens but I am too in a tizz as I am flying to Australia on Xmas Day and there is no way I can just turn the plane around and come home!!!