PDA

View Full Version : Can't burp, extremely bloated

TigerTim
09-11-08, 21:09
Hi everyone

All my life I have suffered with the problem that I'm unable to burp! The amount of times that I've burped (all unintentionally) I can count with one hand!

Normally this isnt a problem but on nights out with friends if we are drinking fizzy drinks all night then I get very very bloated to the point that I can no longer stand up and I get really bad chest pains. :ohmy:

Just recently I've been thinking that anxiety is not helping the situation. On a night out with friends due to anxiety my stomach muscles are usually very tense and I seem to swallow a lot more.

On one particular occasion about 7 years ago I was returning home from a night out away with friends in the back of a car at about 5am feeling very bloated. The road was making me feel sick so I asked the driver if we could pull over to get some fresh air. Just as he stopped I felt like I was about to be sick and did the most loudest almighty burp ever (first time in my life) which lasted for about 20 seconds! It was so embarrasing but I guess it was the buildup of all that trapped air coming out in one go. If it was recorded I would hold two world records for the loudest and longest burp in history. It was horrible! :weep:

Anybody suffer the same problem?

kendo59
09-11-08, 21:11
Just fart instead.

Seriously, try Gripe mixture (wot they give babies for trapped wind) from the chemist.

Cathy V
09-11-08, 21:15
Hi tim, yes im afraid i get this too, but only in the last 12 months since being on betablockers (propranolol). Apparently they can affect digestion, and i can feel very bloated after eating very little. My stomach seems to swell and i cant burp much at all. It can make me feel like i cant breath properly too. Sometimes i feel i want to stick a pin in and release it all! The doc gave some minty tasting pills to chew twicw a day to help relieve it, and these do make me burp a bit more but havent stopped the problem completely. It can be very uncomfortable.

Cathy xxx

bottleblond
09-11-08, 21:23
Hi Tim

Try drinking slightly cooled boiled water. It's an old wives tale but it really does work to break up wind.

Lisa
xxx

swirledpeacat
10-11-08, 00:23
I can't burp either, try not to drink fizzy or carbonated drinks, as it only makes it worse.

I'm afraid if it won't come out the one end, it will have to come out the other!

TigerTim
13-11-08, 22:22
Hi everyone. Thanks for all of the replies :).

I'm going to try the Gripe mixture and the hot water and I'll report back.

pedropanic
30-11-08, 13:16
Bizarre, I get this too!

I think my constant anxiety creates a lot of excess gas. My cure is peppermint tea, sometimes I make it quite strong but I start burping within about 5 minute of having the tea.