PDA

View Full Version : Are there any tablets that treat Anxiety?

Jan63
10-11-08, 16:18
If there are any tablets specially for anxiety has anyone found that they work and actually reduce anxiety? I asked my doctor for some but they won't prescribe any for me.:weep:

janeybaby25
10-11-08, 16:57
why won't he jan?

kendo59
10-11-08, 17:43
Diazepam (Valium) & Propanalol (Inderal) seem to be fairly common treatments for Anxiety.

However, Diazepam can be addictive, so perhaps your doctor is reluctant to give them to you if he feels you can cope without them?

Allye
10-11-08, 17:46
I found Citalopram good. My doctor would not prescribe any either but after councilling my councillor wrote to my doctor and when I went down it was a locum who did prescribe them.

However remember pills only mask the symptoms, they do not deal with the problem. Pills are good to give you a break BUT you also need to tackle the cause.

This is where counselling can help. Also other things such as remembering not to get over-tired (easy to say I know when you cannot sleep), relaxation CDs, not too much caffeine etc all help.

Hope you get through things OK xx

kendo59
10-11-08, 18:10
Isn't Citalopram more of an anti-depressant, rather than anxiety?

bab
10-11-08, 20:52
citalopram is an anti depressant but works on anxiety too -

Jan63
10-11-08, 21:18
why won't he jan?
Well I've seen two different doctors with the indigestion/heartburn problem and they wouldn't prescribe me anything but the doctor I have seen tonight has given me some diazepam because she saw how overwrought I was I think - I was nearly in tears in the surgery.:blush: She's only given me 14 though - at £7.10 for 14 tablets I can't afford to be depressed.:huh: She has given me a questionaire to fill in called an Hospital and Depression Anxiety scale and I've got to go back and see her on Friday.:unsure:

Yvonne
10-11-08, 21:45
Jan

Antidepressants are usually used for anxiety problems. Doctors don't just hand over anti anxiolytics unless you are really bad with anxiety. Your doctor has given you the limited amount of diazepam to try to get you over a bad patch and I doubt if she will continue treating you with them.

You could do your own anxiety/depression rating online. Lots of websites have these where you fill in questions and then they rate how badly depressed or anxious you are. At least that way you will know exactly where you are.

You could try some rescue remedy - I don't know had bad y our anxiety is but maybe trying something herbal would help.

Jan63
10-11-08, 21:50
Yes I remember doing one of those online ones a year or two since and it said I was severely depressed or something like that.:ohmy: I did go to my doctor and asked if I could be depressed but she decided to try me with HRT instead because it might be my hormones. I came off the HRT because I was scared after reading all the side effects and my blood pressure went up when the nurse took it the first time.