PDA

View Full Version : Fluoxetine side effects - a message of hope

Pages : 1 [2]

mrs b
14-09-13, 16:28
Does anyone suffer with bouts of yawning? Or is it just me?

MastiffMan
14-09-13, 18:13
Mrs b - At one point I was on 40mg of fluoxetine and yawned quite frequently. I also could easily take a nap at 10AM and one at 2PM. I am now on 20mg and do not nap or yawn. Just my experience. See if it passes. It felt for me that 40mg was a little over the top and I feel much better on a lower dose. My GP also added bupropion to the mix @ 300mg per day. This seems to be a good combination for me. It is working for the time being. Keep us posted.

micwal
16-09-13, 12:39
For 2 years I had been on 20mg of Prozac, worked perfectly well, no side effects. However, at the beginning of August my dose was increased to 40mg due to a nasty return of stress-induced Moderate Depression. Within 2-4 weeks of being on the higher dose I started to suffer with immense anxiety and agitation. I went to the docs thinking that these were perhaps side effects, or perhaps that the drug was not working. Between us we decided to increase the dose to 60mg and I was given 40mg of Propanalol to deal with the anxiety - which it DID! 4 days into my 60 mg Prozac and I am starting to feel that I have turned a corner, my parents couldn't believe the difference in me this morning. I had gone from being incommunicative to joining in with their conversations and ...laughing (?)!

So, my message to you people struggling with side effects, STICK IT OUT, there IS light at the end of the tunnel! If anxiety is causing you problems I would highly recommend some form of Beta Blocker till the drug reaches its effectiveness. The doctor told me to expect to see results between 6-8 weeks, and I have. There is hope... :-)

grumbleweed
24-09-13, 11:14
Hi all,
I made an appointment with my doc a couple of weeks ago to discuss depression. It's been going on for years, but couldn't do anything about it formally as my TA posting would have been jeopardised as they view that sort of thing as a big no no.

Now i'm out of that for a couple of years and things were getting no better so after feeling generally pissed off and grumpy for so long, I have seen the doc about it.

After a set of blood tests to rule out anything physical, she has given my fluoxetine.

I found this website after researching the side effects, as she said it can be a rough few weeks (oh goody) but it's good to see that others have spelled out their experiences here!

I've just popped the first one, so lets see where this goes!

Thanks to all for this great resource!!

GW

daveruss
18-10-13, 17:17
hi folks i have been on fluoxetine now for about 18 months. i started taking it after a bereivement and a long term of sickness due to a hip injury. it was suggested by my councellor from the local mental health trust. I started taking it and for the first 2 or 3 weeks nothing happened and then BANG the side effects kicked in. first it was the insomnia then when i started to sleep i had the night scares ( like nightmares but 10 times worse ). i started to suffer and still do with hot skin on a night no temperature just warm skin .i sleep more during the day on my rest days from work but luckily not when i am at work. ( I AM A PROFESSIONAL DRIVER ). my private life has also suffered , another side effect is lack of interest in intimacy with my lovely wife. but the panic attacks have stopped , the crying for no reason has stopped , and i dont worry 1/2 as much as i used to. iam on 20mg per day taken in a morning. i tried going on 20mg every other day but symptoms started again so back to my full dose. so any body reading this persist with the flux it will be worth it and good luck

Joop
16-11-13, 22:40
Hi everyone,

I am a first time poster here, and was hoping for some advice/encouragement from those taking Fluoxtine for anxiety. I am only 19 years old, in my first year of university and I have extremely severe irritable bowel syndrome and an anxiety disorder, both of which are severely limiting my experience of university at the minute. I have just taken my first capsule and am really worried about side effects. I have just stopped taking citalopram as it did not really help my condition (bar a few days in bed feelinging as rough as anything).

I am seriously worried about the possibility of my conditions limiting my quality of life now and in the future. Also, is it better to take the tablets in the morning or night? Also, I have heard alcohol is a big no no, is this the case for the majority of people? Being in university, it would be good to know!

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies, I am not in a very happy place right now and could do with the support and advice of those who are older and have been through similar situations.

J x

NZGirl
17-11-13, 04:42
Hi Joop
I'm now on my third episode using fluoxetine/ prozac. The first two times I had no side effects so remember that's always a possibility. This third time I am on day 24 and I've gone through some strange things so far. Dry mouth, taste disturbances, fatigue, twitching, headaches, sleep disruption, nausea, and the occasional anxiety attack. But most of these have lasted only a short time. The nausea was probably two weeks and I still have a dry mouth and can't sleep well. This might sound like a scary list. What got me through was discovering this forum and finding out that these are normal. Just take it day by day and call your GP for advice if you get worried. When I saw my doc last week and said I had been in side effect hell, she confirmed they were normal and now, three weeks in, I know I'm on the road to recovery. It can take six weeks or so but in the past I've found this medicine very effective so I'm looking ahead to that. I'm older than you but I'm also studying and I have a job and a child. It's hard with so much disruption for you, but if these meds work for you, you'll cope with the stresses much better. It's worth the effort to try. Also, my anxiety disorder makes me afraid to take them. That's also ok if that's a problem. I just do it every morning with my breakfast so it has become routine and then I do it quickly. That fear will subside quickly. You'll get through it and if all goes well in six weeks or so you'll begin to find everything more manageable including IBS because of a better mental space. I hope they work for you.
Also, anxiety can feel like it rules your life when it's bad, but you can get it under control and it doesnt have to affect your future. I've had it all my life on and off and got through it, and you can too. Good luck. If it doesn't work keep looking for solutions, and don't stop meds without first talking to your gp.

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

Oh and I strongly recommend you avoid alcohol haha.

Amandala
17-11-13, 15:56
Hi Joop!
I'm also on my 3rd round of Prozac. My doctor didn't want me to take the generic this time for some reason.
Anyway, I'm on day 3, cross tapering with celexa which just wasn't working for me.
Its been ok so far, just a bit sleepy and spacey. I slept until 10:30 this morning!
But I don't know if its withdrawal from the celexa or the starting of the prozac.
I know you'll find a lot of great support here as I always have. I went on my first round of prozac when I was 15, and sadly there were no places like this then..
(that was 15 years ago..ugh!)
We can get through this together, what dose are you on?

Gotagetthroughthis
17-11-13, 15:59
6 and a half weeks on Prozac here. The worst ive felt in a long long time and debating tapering of this stuff as I have seen no improvement in anxiety at all. It has increased my anxiety more than anything.

janey jane
21-11-13, 10:45
I AM ON WEEK 3 NOW 18 days on flux and I still have really bad headaches, the anxiety is getting better but still headache every day and sometimes quite shaky - will this wear off?
:wacko:

DaveGCI
21-11-13, 21:22
There is no way I could cope with any of the side effects described on this thread. Not even to emerge 'on the other side' as a lot of people seem to have done.
I couldn't work, I couldn't live.
I need to do both.
That's why I made the decision not to take Fluoxetine when I was diagnosed as mildly depressed at the beginning of September.
Do I feel any different? I don't really know.
There are still good days and bad days.

tattoodal
20-01-14, 09:16
cant cope with the side effect at all guys I feel terrible restless legs headaches cant eat and haven't for days now and full of fear only been on them 6 days

Renn
24-01-14, 02:34
Rapid heart beat caused by prozac , throat feels weird , left side of my tongue feels weird , I just feel different , this is my first day and along with prozac I'm taking xanax and Neurorubina Forte.
Can anyone tell me whats going on ? :'( i feel like crying and scared
Should i stop ?

Yesor
19-02-14, 10:45
Hi all. First ever post on anything like this .Been on 20mg of Fluoxetine for 3 weeks exactly and just want to give some details of what I have experienced to date.Take the pill first thing in the morning after I force down some breakfast and continue to feel rubbish until late afternoon when things do improve.My appetite returns in a fashion at around 6pm and from then until bedtime (about11pm) I feel not bad at all.Also try to get out walking in the evening which does no harm. Sleep pattern has altered quite a bit. Wake up about 2am feeling great ,wake again at 5am and so so but by 7am bang the clouds are back and the day starts all over again.
On the up side I decided to stop drinking alcohol and coffee and have not missed either.
It has been good reading other peoples posts and it has given me the encouragement to give the medication time to work.With the help of my wife and family I know I will get through this bad spell .Stick in everyone.....there is a good day coming! :)Hi Strangedays I am feeling like this after 2 weeks on Fluoxetine. I tried to go back to work yesterday but it was no good I have now got 2 more weeks off work. i really hope it gets better.

MrsCav
20-02-14, 20:53
It will get better! At this moment in time you're all dealing with negativity, you have to say to yourself 'it will get better, yes, it's a rubbish time right now, but it's not going to last forever'. Most of you will be going through heightened anxiety and panic attacks as you've probably read the medicine fact sheet and it's frightened you. But stick at it and you will come through the other side.

Norden
02-03-14, 11:53
Hi,
happy (sic!) to read that there are others fighting with Fluoxetine to kick in. Myself is on the 16 th day. I´ve all the possible side effects - panic attacks, reslessness, tremor, blurred vision, pulpitation, dizzinness, concentration difficulties, unreal feelings and suicidal thoughts. I take 20 mg Oxazepam to put me through the nightmare as well as Mirtazapine and Nitrazepam to put me to sleep. I just sit att home att my computer and read everything about Fluoxetine and other similar meds. And I just want the day to come to the end so I can survive one more day with Fluo in my body and my brain.

theablac
05-03-14, 18:21
hi, and may I say thankyou you have given me some hope I have been on fluoxetine 20mg for 5 weeks now and the side effects have been awful ,I have been troubled with depression on and off for 20 years but this is the second time taking fluoxetine ,last time I was great on it but this time up to now has been hell ,just to hear I am not the only one and the side effects should disappear makes it a little easier ,the only question I have is how long should it take before I start to feel a bit better is 5 weeks still early in the grand scheme of things I really want to believe that I will start to recover even if its slowly , my doctor just says to give it time easy to say but not easy to do when you feel rough . Just to read other peoples threads makes me know I am not alone and there are people going through this as well and they do improve with time ,:unsure:

overhead_drums
28-03-14, 15:28
Just wanted to add my little bit to this. Been reading through the stories and they are very comforting for people going through the Fluoxetine roller coaster.

About two years ago I suffered from BAD Health anxiety and fluoxetine got me though it. Horrible side effects for around 2 weeks, then another 2 weeks after my dose was doubled to 40mg but I got my life back! I've been taking a lower dose ever since(20mg).

On the 3rd of march my wife and I had our first baby and my anxiety hit me so hard...I hit rock bottom the day after and just couldn't cope with the massive life changing event. I since visited my GP and gone back up to 40mg a day which knocked me for six, and made me feel horrible...weight loss, sickness, increased depression and anxiety... One day off 3 weeks into the increased dose I am feeling much more human and starting to actually enjoy the experience of being a dad and not let my imagination/anxiety run riot.

In short, these tablets have helped me greatly in the past and would urge people to stick with them! Hopefully they keep improving my mood this time too, and mixed with CBT Im confident I'm going to change my life!

Much love x

theablac
31-03-14, 18:54
hi, just a quick update as to how I am getting on with fluoxetine , I am now into my 9th week and things seem to be getting back to normal , the awful side effects have almost gone and my head feel clear and I can now think rationally about things , When I was a couple of weeks in I thought I couldn't cope on the medication but with the help and emails from people on this site and talking to my family I did get through and now I can see good times ahead ,Thanks to everyone xx

overhead_drums
01-04-14, 18:45
hi, just a quick update as to how I am getting on with fluoxetine , I am now into my 9th week and things seem to be getting back to normal , the awful side effects have almost gone and my head feel clear and I can now think rationally about things , When I was a couple of weeks in I thought I couldn't cope on the medication but with the help and emails from people on this site and talking to my family I did get through and now I can see good times ahead ,Thanks to everyone xx

Really good to hear another person working with this medication.

TweetyBird2
03-04-14, 21:45
I'm on week 5 of Fluoxetine and also have been having really bad heart palipatations and anxiety from it since starting.
I did a lot of reading and research on this (including finding this forum) and wanted to share what I found out.
Magnesium supplements will help with this side effect! I guess there's some correlation between magnesium deficiency and our hearts and nerves.

It's a natural muscle relaxer and you may need to take a few often during the day at first, but it totally took away the jitteriness I was feeling from the Fluoxetine.
I thought others might want to look into this to help them too.

theablac
04-04-14, 09:33
HI EVERYONE , I have been on fluoxetine for nine weeks now this is the second time I have been on them , the first weeks were terrible especially from week 5 to 7 then the side effects eased up and I felt more like me but the last 2 days I have felt anxious again and I am hoping its just a blip , The last time I was on this medication it was great for me after the side effects had gone and I have been told its one of the best meds. but its also one of the slowest to get in your system , Has anyone had little set backs and did they last long , May I say that when you get through the side effects these tablets certainly work great and anyone wondering if its worth it going on YES IT IS they do work after the first few weeks which I admit are awful but really are worth it when you get your life back to normal , this site is great as the help and backup you get from others in the same situation or who have been through it is invaluable , only those who have been through this can really say how it is , The only thing to remember is to take one day at a time ,

TweetyBird2
04-04-14, 19:12
I agree, when the side effects aren't there, you can really feel calm and peaceful, and feel the medication working.
But the jittery feeling is really annoying when it comes. Yes, the magnesium works, but it doesn't CURE the palipatations, they still come back when the mag wears off.
It really sucks.
I've noticed you can read a lot of posts by people who have are going through start up on Fluoxetine, and those that have tried it in the past, and are reminiscing how it worked, but you can't hardly find any posts by people who are actually on it right now, like after 8 months, and are saying they feel good (or not).
I'm wondering if they stuck with it and it made them feel so fine they didn't feel the need to write anything anymore about it, or if they just stopped and tried something else because it didn't work. Any thoughts? Will the jittery feeling EVER stop you think?

BusyMom12
06-04-14, 18:07
Hi TweetyBird2,
I have found such great comfort in this site and have a profound appreciation for those who have stuck around to encourage the newer ones with their great success stories and encouraging words. I found this site 2-3 months ago and while I have been tempted to add my experience I have not because my husband does not understand the benefit of this site and is not thrilled about me even reading it. But your post has motivated me to post even though it will not be often.
I have a large family and have always managed to handle stressful situations , be organized and on top of things and even help out other people a lot even when I had several small children. Almost three years ago I found myself totally bottomed out , not functioning with extreme anxiety , literally overnight. My doctor prescribed Prozac/ Flouxetine 10mg. I felt better after 4 days but after a week started having more anxiety. My dose was upped to 20mg and again I felt better after 4 days. After having hormone testing done and finding I was in the middle of peri-menopause , I went on Bio-Identical Progesterone and off the Floux. I did pretty good for a couple or few months and then totally bottomed out again. After more hormone testing they found my Estrogen had plummeted and the lab talked about adding Bio-Identical Estrogen. I personally just didn't feel this was safe and chose to go back on the Floux and totally off all the hormones. Looking back , I feel that I did have at least some side effects adjusting the first time but the anxiety was so new to me that at the time I thought it was just my own anxiety. I continued to do well but would have blips of anxiety around and after my cycles. The best thing I learned from the hormone lab was about a natural amino acid called L-Theanine. I found if I took it around my cycles when I had slight anxiety that it would nip it. I went on like this for almost two years doing very well and then realized that for a period of 6-9 months I hadn't needed the L-Theanine even though my cycles were like clockwork. My older sister is still like clockwork at 53. The L-Theanine does help a lot as your adjusting to the Floux but was not always enough during the really bad spells. So I thought maybe if I didn't need the L-Theanine anymore then maybe I didn't need the Floux. I gradually went off of it and did well for 2 months ,probably just long enough for it to totally get out of my system. The anxiety came back.
I have now been back on since Nov 1st. I think I would have leveled out sooner if I had stayed on a regular dose. I started out on 30mg because I had heard that sometimes you don't get the same effect the second time around. After some time went by (maybe a couple or few weeks) I had a spell of such severe anxiety that I spent 1 1/2weeks in bed. Now I realize that if I had stuck it out, I would have most likely felt better in just a few days. I then went back to 20mg and felt better after the reduction but was still having 2 good weeks and 2 bad weeks (not horrible but just on edge) so I started to gradually increase to try to build up to 25mg. This was not a good idea because you can't get 25mg pills. After reading enough on this site to help me better understand how the medication works and remembering that my pharmacist said that 20mg works for the majority of people , I went back to 20mg and have stayed there. I have continued to improve and am back running a small business I started years ago and also a small business that I started while doing so well on the Floux. Fortunately my businesses are not such that I have to work if I'm not up to it but unfortunately if I don't work , I don't make a penny.
I had tried to go off the Floux because of slight intestinal upset , though nothing like the start up effects, and weight gain but mainly because I really didn't think I needed it. I felt so good and like myself , like I wasn't even taking anything. I also felt that the Floux in itself didn't necessarily make me gain weight but that it did it's job and mellowed me out enough that I didn't worry about how I ate or if I exercised.
I will know better in a couple of weeks how I'm doing as I'm just getting into my low period but so far so good. Your hormones plummet when you start your cycle and stay bottomed out for a week afterwards. I have complete confidence that I will continue to improve in the future as I continued to feel better and better and improve for much longer than I expected up until I quit taking the Floux before. When I quit taking it , I had good motivation , decent energy and felt great. I have no intention of going off of it again. It breaks my heart to read about what people have gone through and then when they finally get feeling good , talk about going off of it. The only advice I can give to those thinking about going off of it is ...Weigh the pros and cons , the long term side effects I had were nothing compared to being without it or what I've gone through readjusting to it. I sure wish I had...

TweetyBird2
07-04-14, 00:28
BusyMom, thank you so much for sharing your story here. I really appreciated hearing about your experience as there's a lot of lessons to be learned from what you went through.
I am noticing that once we're on this stuff (or any SSRI), getting off of it and trying to feel good thereafter without anything is a gamble.
And most of the time, it seems the majority of people go back on it eventually. To me, the lesson I'm hearing is if it works and makes you feel better, stay on it.
Thank you for sharing this (and about the L-Theanine! -going to look into that!)

BusyMom12
07-04-14, 04:06
TweetyBird2 , you are sure welcome. You wouldn't believe how much of a help this forum has been for me, even though I felt like I should be a Fluox veteran. Even though I knew it worked before , some days I was afraid it wouldn't work again and I didn't think I would ever feel like me again. This forum helped me to really understand how it works and how important it is to give a dose plenty of time to see if it's going to work before changing it. When I have anxiety , I get severe health anxiety and can barely eat anything. I lost some weight for sure but am starting to put a little back on. I'm determined this time to just make more of an effort to eat better and exercise. I'm not real big but could lose 25-30 lbs...but when my anxiety is out of control , I wouldn't care if I weighed 500lbs. , if I just felt better.

Janine
07-04-14, 20:45
I have been on it for about 16 months now and intend to stay on it, I do not want to feel like i did before going on it or go through the pain of the side effects again, I am lucky that i had not suffered with anxiety or panic before in my life but I hit rock bottom and never want to feel like that again. It is still working really well for me, if I get a panic episode it seems to be as I am going to sleep and have realised that it must be about 3 months since I had one which is the longest I have gone and before that it was just every now and again.

BusyMom12
08-04-14, 05:04
Hi Janine , I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well. I've admired your commitment to helping others on this site ever since I found it. That's so good that it's been three months since you've had a panic episode. I intend to stay on the Fluox now, too. I know that even though I felt like I was doing well after a few months on it, that I continued to improve even well after a year on it. I'm just so relieved to be back feeling good on it again , that it's just icing on the cake to know that it's only going to get better and better.

BusyMom12
09-04-14, 04:36
Hi TweetyBird2 , Have your palpitations started to let up ? My heart rate was so high when I initially bottomed out with anxiety the first time that I never realized that it was a side effect until I found this forum. Once I knew it was a side effect , it was easier to remind myself that I wasn't anxious , my heart was just beating faster because of the meds getting into my system. That made it easier to just take a few deep breaths and it seemed to last shorter periods of time. It can be unnerving , exhausting and just plain an aggravation , though. Just this week it has really let up , almost quit, for me. I have been on the fluox since Nov 1st but have been on a stable dose for 3 1/2 weeks. I've had a pretty good week , real good considering it's usually one of my bad weeks , hormonally speaking. I could have probably taken some L-Theanine a couple of times but didn't because I wanted to judge how well I was doing with just the fluox and those spells were short and fleeting. I have no problem taking the L-Theanine when ever I need it because there are no side effects from it but it works so well on any remaining anxiety that I can't really gauge how well I'm doing on the fluox when I'm taking it. I really just wanted to see how level I'm getting. So far so good , one week to go...

TweetyBird2
09-04-14, 22:50
Hi BusyMom12! I had a few days this week where the palipatations from the Fluoxetine were hardly there or didn't last long when they did come, but today, I've been jitterally all day with the anxiety feeling.
You're absolutely right, in that, reminding ourselves it's just the medication (I've NEVER had symptoms this bad in my life, so I know it's the Fluoxetine revving my heart and adrenaline up), and that helps not to worry about it.
But still, as you also said, it's annoying to have this side effect come and go like it does.
I'm drinking a cup of Yogi Soothing Bedtime Tea right now...the second ingredient on it is L-Theanline! I am finding it helpful to calm down today.
Some days I feel like I'm poisoning myself with this Fluoxetine. The way the heart fluttering comes on like that some days. But I also rememeber what a state I was in before trying it..Scared, mad or sad and that was a miserable way to feel everyday.
I'll take this anxiety caused by heart fluttering palipatations from the medicine any day over feeling so upset and worried all the time.
The days when there's no anxiety from the heart jitters, I can feel the peacefulness of the medicine working. And it's a calm and joy that I haven't felt in a long time.
So, I too, will hang in there and see how it progresses.
Thanks again for posting! xxx

TweetyBird2
16-04-14, 23:00
Hi all, just an update on the Fluoxetine. I'm on week 7 1/2 today and am glad to say the side effects from the medicine are really starting to lessen.

The jittery feeling and pumping heart palipatations only come on every other day or so, and when they do, they seem to leave after about an hour, so that's been a relief. I'm finding they've been a LOT easier to cope with lately.

AND, I can really feel the Fluoxetine starting to work it's magic! I feel so much calmer these days. Like I have a thicker skin and find myself overlooking things that normally would have bothered the hell out of me before.
Not freaking out so much.

I thought I should share this for those of you who are still suffering through the side effects and wonder if it's worth it. Just like the others said, "Yes! It will be worth it!". I wish you all the best.
xxx

richrocks
22-04-14, 22:40
hi guys. love this thread and your sharings. I am on about week 6 of 20mg. I too have had weeks of despair and heightened anxiety and considered dropping or changing the meds, but having read comments on here I have decided to stick with it and give the meds and my brain chance to cooperate with each other.

I read one post where it was explained that the brain is almost trying to fight the meds which is why we have moments of darkness whilst adjusting. But once the meds win, the effect is worth it.

So, I am sticking with them. As far as I'm concerned I have not gone through all these ups and downs to give up.

In truth, I do already feel a little better. However, there is still some way to go.. and I have simply got to give the meds chance to do their work.

alessman1
24-04-14, 19:17
I started on 10 mg of fluoxetine...it took a little over 4 weeks for me to somewhat feel more like myself. About a week later my depression got worse again and my dose was increased to 20 mg. I feel like my depression is much better but I feel like I'm going through some effects again like racing thoughts, irritability, and nervousness. I take lorazepam and that helps. Did anyone else experience side effects when increasing their dose and do they diminish quicker than when first starting the med?

sueark
28-05-14, 23:18
I'm in my first week of fluoxetine and oh boy ... am I glad I found this site. I thought I was going mad and the side effects are just as everyone describes. It's given me the will to stick it out.
Will be back I'm sure !

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

Ooh, forgot to ask in my last post....What dose are most people taking?
I am on 75mg which seems higher than I've read here...

Dubai
01-06-14, 19:22
Dear All,

I have started prozac 20mg every other day four days ago, last night as I was about to sleep I experinced "Frequent Limb Movement" I managed few hours then up at 4am and for the next 3 hours the jerking from the movement was non stop, my foot, arm, hand, finger, neck (maybe my head as well) and mouth!!!!! this is scary to me.

Have anyone experienced this while on Prozac or other SSRI, is it a starting side effect that will go away with time?

Thanks a lot.

TweetyBird2
01-06-14, 21:54
I definitely got the leg shake and ankle twirl from prozac!
I know those jerks you are talking about, that come at night. Involuntary twitches.

I'm sure they are dopamine related... dopamine controls muscle twitches and I read that Prozac affects the dopamine levels somehow. From what I understand, they aren't permanent and will go away after we discontinue the prozac.... which can't be said for some of the other psychotropic drugs...that can give you permanent Tardive Dyskinesia . . And yes, it is scary!

Dubai
02-06-14, 08:06
TweetyBird2,

Thank you for your reply.

I was planning to discontinue the med after 12/18 months! I hope it subsides or eventually I will have to quit it.

for others, if you have this and it went away please reply and give me so encouragement.

fduop
02-06-14, 18:13
I thought I was doing better after 4 weeks of increased fluoxetine. But this weekend I may have overdone it. Part of my anxiety problem gives me bouts of agoraphobia and this weekend put it to the test. Today although I'm at home I'm finding it hard to relax and I feel very stressed out. Hopefully mentioning this here and just some old fashion chilling out will ease my symptoms. My dr. has told me to bite off small chunks of what causes me panic. I think this weekend was too big a bite. Has this happened to anyone else?

TweetyBird2
02-06-14, 18:26
Yep, went through the agoraphobia thing in the beginning months too...I'm on week 14 now, and it's all gone...can go out without a problem anymore. It's actually enjoyable and stress free now! Hang in there, it does get better! xx:yahoo:

Rochelle121
02-06-14, 18:38
Yes! I suffer bouts of agoraphobia too as im sure most do when things get very bad! But anyway about2weeks into my meds I pushed myself and walked very far (cant do buses atm) and it was hell there and back and I paid the day after too!!! (lessen learnt! Im just impatient because iv hate being now petrified of things that otherwise didnt cause too much stress just a few weeks ago! Xx

perigee
02-09-14, 22:03
Hi everyone, sorry to bump a thread which hasn't been posted on for a little while but I'm having an absolute nightmare of a time at the moment and having sat here and read through 29 pages, I figured I should join the club.

I started back on Fluoxetine last Friday and oh my word, it's just been the most horrible few days.
My GP told me to start at 20mg then after a few days switch to 40mg before heading up to 60mg which was a dose I was taking a few years ago with no problem.

I had 20mg on Friday, 20mg on Saturday and 40mg on Sunday. Monday I felt like I was genuinely going up the wall...Didn't feel like I was 'there' at all and spoke to another GP who was amazing. Told me to stick to 20mg for the next two weeks and to come in to see him before possibly upping to 40mg.

It's been awful.
Dry mouth, the worst panic attacks/anxiety I've had in a long time, restless legs, I feel like I'm vibrating, I haven't managed to eat since Friday morning other than the odd nibble at something and I've lost 5lbs already...hypochondria through the roof and a whole host of other niggling things.
My head currently feels like it's in a vice and I'm trying desperately not to give them up.
I NEED to be better.
I've lost ten years of my life to anxiety and panic attacks and I want it back. I just don't feel at the moment like that's ever going to happen.
I don't remember any side effects from the last time I took Prozac.

Day 5 and I really don't think I can cope with weeks of this :(

Janey86
03-09-14, 01:56
Hi,

Sorry to hear you're going through this - I really do know how you feel.

Firstly, I am amazed your initial GP told you to go from 20mg to 60mg in a matter of days! That's like learning how to drive then speeding down the motorway! It's no wonder you are having such an anxious time and terrible side effects.

I was on 60mg too a few years ago but it took me something like 3 1/2 months to build up to that. I'm on 80mg now, but it's taken weeks and weeks to get here and I'm still having side effects similar to what you describe (feeling not all there, can't eat much, anxiety)

Unfortunately prozac and side effects go hand-in-hand. I know it feels truly awful and at times you really do feel you're going out of your mind, but the only was this is going to get better I'm afraid is to take your time, take each day as it comes. If you don't do anything, so be it. Just keep trying your best to cope with the symptoms. If you're anything like me you'll feel you are 'wasting' your life, but, as you said, you've lost 10 years to anxiety and panic attacks. This short-term period is worth it. Just try to get through this so you can see some results. And keep writing on this forum - people here are lovely, they've been through things and they'll do their best to support you.

Take care, Janey x

DustingMyselfOff
04-09-14, 17:11
Thought I'd jump in since I've dealt with anxiety and panic attacks for over 40 years now. When I first went on Prozac (over 20 years ago) my doc WARNED ME that I'd be going through hell for a while. (God Bless him!) When I would call to tell him I couldn't take it anymore he encouraged me to hang in there and that it would all be worth it. He told me to take tranquilizers as much as I needed to to get through this rough period and that helped a lot. My side affects (I think I had every one ever listed, but at different times) lasted for a full 8 weeks and then one morning I woke up and felt wonderful. It was like a light switch - that sudden.

Hang in there, and see if maybe you can get an interim tranquilizer to get you through these first few months.
Sue

perigee
06-09-14, 09:45
Thanks Janey/Sue.
Definitely feeling much better since I first posted. Still some head fuzz at times but mood has really improved.
Also taking Propranolol which seems to be taking the edge off my wobbles :)

Firedragon
24-09-14, 15:12
Hey everyone this site has given me great hope over the last few weeks I started back on flu 4.5 weeks ago after been off it for five years and I do remember some of the side effects but this time round like a lot of people have said they are so much worse than I remember first week not to bad just really irritable and no patience second and third week getting to sleep but waking around 3 ish every morning with waves of fear and dread and insane thoughts sweating and twitching but in the day time I was starting to feel a bit better less anxiety and I was able to do things without forcing myself but when I hit week 3.5 roughly anxiety he'll worse than ever and this brought me way back down bit better today after a hiddious start with anxiety again but I have seen a lot of people saying weeks 3 to 5 have been the worst for them also so I'm hoping another few days a week and should start feeling something more like a human again, we are all aware they take a good while before they make us start to feel better but actually going through it is horrendous at times, and I know a lot of people just read threads like this for some reassurance like I have been but I thought it's about time i joined in

Comeontheglens
29-09-14, 07:31
Hi everyone this is my first time posting here.

Recently I have been diagnosed by a psychiatrist as suffering from anxiety due to work. I was told that I am not clinically depressed nor was I suffering from an anxiety disorder but I was suffering from anxiety due to work. I work in a stressful job that I previously loved until about 18 months ago when the structure and teams were changed, ever since I have increasingly found myself hating the job, the people I work with (even though at work I would socialise at lunchtime and break time with some of them) and ultimately I do not feel that any of them like me.

From speaking to the physciatrist I know that my thoughts are wrong and need to be challenged and she is arranging CBT for me but unfortunately there is a 2 month waiting period.

The problem is myself, my wife and 3 year old daughter are due to go to Orlando in 3 weeks, which is somewhere we have all been on numerous occasions and feel at home when we are out there.

I had a bad day in work and with a counsellor I was seen through work and ended up breaking down with my wife last Wednesday night telling her that I just was not feeling happy anymore and was tired of feeling that way. I ended up confiding in a friend I used to work with who had experienced stress in work and he strongly advised me to consider ADs as he had been on one for the past few years and found them a great help, he is taking Mitzrapine and said he had no real side effects. I ended up attending a locum doctor on Friday morning who prescribed me with 20mg fluoxetine and warned me that there would be a period of feeling bad and having worse thoughts but this would pass in a week or so, though the one side-effect he told me to watch out for was mainly nausea. When I collected the prescription from the chemist I asked the pharmacist about the drugs and she described them as being mild and again also said the main side effect to is nausea but this would pass in a few days. As my wife and I had planned to go out with friends on Saturday night for a meal I decided not to start the prescription until Sunday morning. I took the tablet yesterday morning after I had my breakfast and have to say I had a positive nice day with no anxiety or dread about going into work. with my wife and daughter visiting friends and I actually felt that I was getting back to normal. The problem all started when I went to bed and just could not get to sleep and ended up coming downstairs where I am still sat on the sofa wide awake after being up 24 hours. The only way I can describe it is jet-lag with occasional hot then cold spells, some alarming thoughts and diahorrea. I obviously started to look up to see if these side-effects were normal and was pretty alarmed to find out that not only are they normal but also likely to last for at least a few months nevermind the "week of nausea" the Dr and pharmacist explained to me.

Obviously as we are going on holiday in 3 weeks time I am considering not taking anymore of the drug as I don't want to let my family down and also I can consider if I really want to put myself through all of these nasty side effects.

My sister was diagnosed as clinically depressed approximately 7 years ago and went through the same side effects and fortunately she has got better and has just given birth to a beautiful baby boy last week so I presume she is not on any ADs now.

I am going to phone my own GP this morning to see if it is okay to stop after one 20mg tablet and to also explain my disappointment in not being told the truth about the side effects. I was just wondering if any of you kind people would have any words of advice???

KK77
29-09-14, 09:57
Welcome Comeontheglens.

Although people react differently to these meds, certain side effects seem pervasive and common. I think nausea and gastro side effects generally last a couple of weeks at most but other mental side effects like perhaps "alarming thoughts" and heightened anxiety can last longer. It's really a decision your doctor should have discussed with you in more detail so you can weigh up pros and cons. These meds usually take a fair amount of time to work, and fluoxetine is particularly slow, which imo is better for depression than anxiety. Furthermore, if problem is situational (ie work-related), I doubt whether meds would be best route for you.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your hols.

Comeontheglens
29-09-14, 10:33
Thanks KK2613 I appreciate your input!!:)

prozac g
29-09-14, 12:12
hi
6 week and 2 days on 20 prozac
( 4 or 5 time around ) but this time very hard
I feel like I'm not myself ,Scary thought , and I will lose my control and I'm afraid to kill myself
Always ask myself who I am and how I walk how to speak
Feeling awful

is it normal ? or just prozac dont work for me anymore

plz help

prozac g
30-09-14, 10:00
A bad night
*I felt that I will lose my mind and
*Will never get better
: (
so scary
always prozac work for me but this time it seems not working

plz tell me it will pass

6 weeks tow days

bungiee
03-10-14, 16:55
I'm new to this forum and like the comment just before me have been on Prozac for 6 weeks plus a couple days.

Same bad side effects as a number of users noted, i.e. I take 20mg at night, but have anxiety when I wake that builds throughout the morning.

Seeing my Doctor on Monday, and I would imagine he will bump me up to 40mg, but I will 'stick it out' as so many have mentioned.

Will post further once I've received feedback from him.

Firedragon
03-10-14, 17:51
Very similar to you I have just hit the 6 week mark today and had to go to the dr this morning because of anxiety and seem to be slipping backwards I was good week 2-3 but from then till now it's been hiddious last night I woke in almost a full panicle attack at 2 am had to wake the misses as was feeling very odd scary bit still here 😢so already looking forward to tonight but my dr seems to think they are starting to improve and thinks I am in a transition stage now so my advice to you is hang on in there and it will get better the anxiety is the worst thing with all the stupid thoughts and fears that it try's to make you believe have meaning, oh the joys of anxiety got some camomile tea to try later apparently it's very good for anxiety but tastes like shite

cegman
07-10-14, 21:38
I have been suffering from intense GAD for many years, but the last two years have been most challenging. I have been on 8 different meds in the past year and trying to find something that works without too many side effects.

Now on Day 9 of Prozac 10mg. Have jaw pain, diarrhea, jittery, headache and nausea. Too boot. I sleep until 4 and then am wide awake. We started at a low dose on purpose, but this is very challenging to get through. I have been suffering for over 20 years with a 15 year reprieve thanks to Paxil which stopped working 2 years ago. Any advise would be great. I have been on just about everything and am running out of options....

bungiee
10-10-14, 15:20
Very similar to you I have just hit the 6 week mark today and had to go to the dr this morning because of anxiety and seem to be slipping backwards I was good week 2-3 but from then till now it's been hiddious last night I woke in almost a full panicle attack at 2 am had to wake the misses as was feeling very odd scary bit still here 😢so already looking forward to tonight but my dr seems to think they are starting to improve and thinks I am in a transition stage now so my advice to you is hang on in there and it will get better the anxiety is the worst thing with all the stupid thoughts and fears that it try's to make you believe have meaning, oh the joys of anxiety got some camomile tea to try later apparently it's very good for anxiety but tastes like shite
Thanks for the feedback always appreciated! I had mentioned all of this to my Doctor on Monday especially the research/info I found online re so many comments like yours that were near identical to my side effects. He originally was thinking it was depression that might be causing the anxiety but agreed was side effects after. He also wants me to stick it out and kept me at the same 20mg as he thought the side effects might escalate and would not increase the dosage until lessened.

The biggest annoyance I find with the anxiety is lack of focus at work, not sure if you find that an issue also. 1 day at a time I guess, hopefully by next week it will be better.

---------- Post added at 10:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

I have been suffering from intense GAD for many years, but the last two years have been most challenging. I have been on 8 different meds in the past year and trying to find something that works without too many side effects.

Now on Day 9 of Prozac 10mg. Have jaw pain, diarrhea, jittery, headache and nausea. Too boot. I sleep until 4 and then am wide awake. We started at a low dose on purpose, but this is very challenging to get through. I have been suffering for over 20 years with a 15 year reprieve thanks to Paxil which stopped working 2 years ago. Any advise would be great. I have been on just about everything and am running out of options....
I feel for you, mine issues have been off and on for over 20 years also. The only thing I can suggest is what Firedragon and others have been noting is to 'stick it out', talk to your doctor and others.
Not sure if diazepam or something that calms the emotions is an option through your Doctor? The only reason I didn't bring that up on Monday at the Doctor was how long I've been on Prozac almost 7 weeks now. But might have in the early stages at very least to possibly function a little better at work until the side effects subside.

Firedragon
11-10-14, 08:31
Hey bunglee I have also just hit the 7 week mark how are you feeling I still feel pretty shitty in the morning and still not sleeping as good as I would like but better than I was mind is still working overtime but not all day it's a long haul

bungiee
14-10-14, 15:16
Hey bunglee I have also just hit the 7 week mark how are you feeling I still feel pretty shitty in the morning and still not sleeping as good as I would like but better than I was mind is still working overtime but not all day it's a long haul

I thought I felt a bit of a difference over the weekend re the anxiety in the morning but I was with family so not sure if it was slightly masked by that.

This morning it's not as bad but still have that nervous feeling which I can't stand as it effects my focus. Almost think I'd rather have the anxiety then the nervousness feeling.
I see a professional on Friday to go through the whole thing and hopefully figure out the best course is too follow, which I'm looking forward to as I'm definitely not going to settle for this crap for much longer lol:)

(I had set this site up to email be updates to messages/forums but have not received any as yet, just noticed yours when I logged on).

Firedragon
15-10-14, 11:03
Hey Bunglee I have also been feeling a bit better last few days not good but better and today is the first time I have woken to the sound of my alarm for 7 weeks which is major 😄 I have just been put on a waiting list for cbt to try and rid myself of the anxiety and find its triggers and so on I know what you mean about the nervous feeling but things are starting to improve I hop they continue for you too and you have a good session on Friday

bungiee
15-10-14, 14:10
A bad night
*I felt that I will lose my mind and
*Will never get better
: (
so scary
always prozac work for me but this time it seems not working

plz tell me it will pass

6 weeks tow days

Hope you are feeling better, are you still taking 20mg?

Firedragon
15-10-14, 14:59
Yea stayed on 20 mg what about you

bungiee
15-10-14, 15:33
Yea stayed on 20 mg what about you

Yes so far 20mg, my Doc mentioned that it might make things worse, so hopefully the guy that I see on Friday isn't Doctor Lecter..

bungiee
17-10-14, 18:50
Well I went to see the Doctor today (Mental health specialist). My family Doctor told me it would probably be an hour to hour & 1/2 session. My appointment lasted about 10 minutes, he seemed more interested in using a cheat sheet to get out the door. I ended up telling him 'myself' that I would stick it out with Prozac for a little while longer and would try 30mg instead of 20mg......focus on the 'I told him myself'......great fkng help this guy was......not! I will mention to my own Doc as he's 10 times better in the Psychology dept.
Still have anxiety and nerves, think they escalate based on the day so the light at the end of the tunnel is a little dimmer. I'll give it another couple weeks go back to my regular Doc and make a decision.

Firedragon
18-10-14, 13:01
Some people are ars e hole s they don't want to know and they just want you out of the door good job you sticking with it I'm just in week 8 now and had some better days this last week but today's been a bit rough because it's busy and a bit stressfull but I beleive the people when they say blips feel worse because you have some better days, the nervousness and anxiety are still the bad parts

bungiee
21-10-14, 14:41
Some people are ars e hole s they don't want to know and they just want you out of the door good job you sticking with it I'm just in week 8 now and had some better days this last week but today's been a bit rough because it's busy and a bit stressfull but I beleive the people when they say blips feel worse because you have some better days, the nervousness and anxiety are still the bad parts
Well after last weekend (Sunday bad anxiety), Monday morning not much better, and at the 8 week stage I'm starting to wonder. I'm trying one last thing where I skipped my dose at night before bed and waited until I was in to work today and took about 9am. Not sure if you are finding the same thing and I'm not sure if anyone else stated in the forum that they felt better past 8 weeks and when but its pretty frustrating when it starts to effect job security as my production has dropped due to lack of focus.

Firedragon
22-10-14, 11:59
Yea same as you still having some pretty rubish days not as bad as in the beginning but still not where I would like to be yet, today I felt really low for an hour or so, I seem to always be better in the evenings and start being all positive but then their of comes along again and the mornings are still the hardest for me anxious and a bit nervous about the day, have you been on these tablets before, I was on them about 5-6 years ago and they worked great I came of them and was fine for 5 years to all of a sudden start feeling really shitty again doubting myself and everything, and loading interest in everything I like, so I think if they do work this time around and I start feeling really good again I will just stay on them don't want to go through this again

bungiee
22-10-14, 14:35
Yea same as you still having some pretty rubish days not as bad as in the beginning but still not where I would like to be yet, today I felt really low for an hour or so, I seem to always be better in the evenings and start being all positive but then their of comes along again and the mornings are still the hardest for me anxious and a bit nervous about the day, have you been on these tablets before, I was on them about 5-6 years ago and they worked great I came of them and was fine for 5 years to all of a sudden start feeling really shitty again doubting myself and everything, and loading interest in everything I like, so I think if they do work this time around and I start feeling really good again I will just stay on them don't want to go through this again

There have been so many over the years (as some of them were to treat a.d.d. at the same time), but I don't think I've tried this one. At very least I've not stuck with something like this that had such long / crappy side effects. I had tried welbutrin which was suppose to be good and help your energy level, but experienced near psychotic side effects in the first week that I stopped taking it before I went back to my Doc.

Yesterday when I took it later in the morning I found it slightly better waking today, but the same effects simply materialized in the afternoon yesterday. The other side effect I haven't found any relief from is procrastinating on simple tasks that are a part of daily life, not from a laziness but wanting to stay from areas with too many people. I guess the problem is now, is that I would actually stop and tell my Doctor I want to try something else but what bulls_t am I going to go through in the next experiment.

Firedragon
22-10-14, 17:29
Exactly that coming up to week 9 now and not where I want to be yet I'm just going to keep going I can't handle starting with something else yet and having to go through the same sort of crap before you start seeing even the slightest improvements, a big yeeeehaaaa to the side effects of these tablets and the drs who give you no info on them just say 2-4 weeks you'll be feeling great

shadowstriker
22-10-14, 23:23
I am on week 5 2 weeks on 10 then nearly 3 on 20 do i need to give it more time for the anxiety to settle ? its making me feel really bad.

bungiee
24-10-14, 21:11
I am on week 5 2 weeks on 10 then nearly 3 on 20 do i need to give it more time for the anxiety to settle ? its making me feel really bad.
Unfortunately it has that effect on people though with me on 9 weeks and still find anxiety and a couple other side effects. Others have said if it's too much see if you can get a mild sedative to take with it, if your doctor thinks it's ok. I'm going to be asking mine on Tuesday which direction to go. If you feel really bad I wouldn't wait to go back to your doctor. I've tried changing up when I take it, currently I've been taking it late morning and the side effects later on don't seem to last long.

bungiee
28-10-14, 13:13
You might find this article interesting re the cbt you mentioned. I'm going to mention to my doctor today when I see him.

I've found things even worse since last week with a crappy weekend so something needs to change. I've found in some further research that some anti-dep simply do not mix with some people and after 9 weeks I have to wonder.

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 ----------

http://anxietynetwork.com/content/panic-agoraphobia-and-medication (http://anxietynetwork.com/content/panic-agoraphobia-and-medication)

Link

Emphyrio
28-10-14, 16:41
I've been on fluoxetine for 5 weeks now...all at 20mg. Still got a couple of weeks before things settle down, but I'm worrying less about things than I was before which is a good sign.

Still been using occasional diazepam when things get tough as well - usually 1mg a day which only just takes the edge off things, but at least its better than nothing at all and makes the difference between 'very bad' and 'bad'.

bungiee
29-10-14, 14:17
I spoke to my Doctor yesterday and told him that after 9 weeks still having side effects, and need to resolve it or go another direction. My Doctor is very good and also has a degree in Phycology so the more I open up to him the better he can help me.

He broke down Prozac and other meds/help that can go with it either short or long term. I had told him that the anxiety was really effecting my focus and ability to work properly. He told me that he would up the dosage to 30mg, and also give me a prescription for Lorazepam which suppresses the anxiety and could be taken a couple times a day if needed.
He gave me several examples of what I was going through and with this addition they found great success a 'world of difference'.

I took one this morning and feel it starting to work in a positive way already. We'll see what happens over the next few days.

All I can suggest is convey this to your doctor sooner than later as it's an option before going through the 8-9 weeks of crap.

bungiee
30-10-14, 16:34
After the first day at 30mg taken at night along with 1mg of Lorazepam in the morning I'm finding quite a bit of a difference, anxiety gone, modest jitters but its only the first day.......but focus has gone up substantially.........could there be a light at the end of the tunnel!

Emphyrio
30-10-14, 16:39
Hmmm - after one day it's probably the lorazepam. Have you been on a benzodiazepine for any length of time before? Be careful with them - they're great for anxiety if used short-term or 'as needed' but the withdrawal can be brutal if you take them continuously for 3 weeks or more.

bungiee
30-10-14, 17:14
The doctor mentioned short term to get through the anxiety. For sure its the Lorazepam. We'll see I'm hoping that it will work itself out in the next couple weeks as tired of experimenting.

bungiee
04-11-14, 13:36
So how is everyone feeling these days?

I've been on 30mg for 1 week (10th week overall). Using .5mg of Lorazepam in the morning and afternoon. While I think it reduces some of the anxiety, I'm still not feeling and 'good' effects from this cocktail.

I saw a couple of posts on here from a few years ago where some were not feeling any better after 12 weeks.

Deepthinker
05-11-14, 16:14
Hi, Bungiee:) I have been on fluox now for 7 months and I am doing very well. I feel as though I have continued to improve month by month. I was seeing a psychologist for several of those months and she told me about 2 months ago that I didn't need her anymore. What a great feeling! She told me I could still call her anytime, but she gave me so many tools with which to work through and combat the anx/pan/dep that I haven't needed to call her. I wish you the very best as you continue to recover. Keep us all posted. Blessings!

bungiee
06-11-14, 16:08
Hi, Bungiee:) I have been on fluox now for 7 months and I am doing very well. I feel as though I have continued to improve month by month. I was seeing a psychologist for several of those months and she told me about 2 months ago that I didn't need her anymore. What a great feeling! She told me I could still call her anytime, but she gave me so many tools with which to work through and combat the anx/pan/dep that I haven't needed to call her. I wish you the very best as you continue to recover. Keep us all posted. Blessings!

Hello, thanks for the feedback. When did you start feeling positive effects? I'm at a point where I need to make a decision as it has started to affect my job and need to be able to justify the direction that I've taken.

Deepthinker
06-11-14, 19:27
Bungiee, I started to feel worse before I felt better. Day 6 on fluox was my worse day for anxiety. The depression and unwanted thoughts continued to hang around off and on for three to four weeks. During that time I would have bouts of time where I felt positive and it was enough to make me feel as though the med was doing its job. Gradually, the positive times started outnumbering the negative times. At four weeks, I knew I wanted to stay on fluox, but I didn't quite feel like I was where I wanted to be. My doc told me that the meds had reached their full potential, but because of things I learned on this site, I decided to stay at 20 mg of fluox for at least 12 weeks, as long as I didn't get worse. Well, I never got worse, but I did continue to improve. By six weeks I felt almost like my old self, but was still a little reluctant to drive. By 8 weeks, I told my therapist I was ready to start seeing her again so that I could start working through the rest of my fears, namely driving. By twelve weeks, I felt like I had my life back. My therapist was truly a blessing. I think a combo of meds and therapy is the best way to go. I have learned so much this year. I can almost say I am thankful I went through all of the pan/anx/dep, but memories of those early days are painful and I truly feel for you and others who are in that place right now. Only you and your doc can decide what course to take, but I would recommend that you give the med a little longer to work unless you remain more miserable on it than you were off of if. At some point within the first four to six weeks, you should start feeling better. In my early days on fluox, I had trouble sleeping because of the anxiety and my doc temporarily prescribed lorazepam until my sleep pattern returned to normal, which was by three weeks. I hope some of what I said helps and I will continue to check in to see how you are doing. Blessings!:)

Gtum141
27-01-15, 20:54
I'm so thankful that I found this forum it's help me loads.

Deepthinker
03-02-15, 17:37
Yes, it is a great website to come to for info and encouragement.:)

dizzylala
25-05-15, 08:06
Hi everyone,I'm not used to being on a forum but I have found such reassurance reading about other peoples experiences that its stopping me feeling I'm not going mad.
Just started again on flux 20mg after a relationship breakdown of 20 years.
Ive been on flux before but always came off after a few months thinking I was okay. Then after the split couldnt cope went to GP gave me the flux and referred for counselling but a 7 week waiting list. Ive had a week from hell the panic attacks, anxiety, cant eat hardly, feel sick constantly, feeling scared to be alone at night so pressure my 21 year old daughter to stay home when she's dealing with her anger with her dad. Its hard to cope with the side effects when I'm battling the break up as well.
Everyone keeps saying one day at a time but its hard with the nasties happening and cant function well at the moment which is catch 22 as at least could try and keep busy but I keep thinking what's the point of doing it. Lots of issues going round in my head about previously when i needed support i felt too much of a burden and trying to just ride it out as my ex partners had the attitude of you shouldn't rely on tablets. Just need a tiny glimmer than the side effects will get easier cos I never seemed to have them as bad previously. GP also gave me Bedranol SR 80mg as i couldn't handle the panic/anxiety well which seemed to have a slight effect on them at the moment just wanting to sleep now but struggling to have this massive change to my routine

atki
26-05-15, 15:18
im nearly on week 8. week 7 was a good week, had a blip yesterday but back on track today. I know the drs say 4-6 weeks but aim for the 12 week mark, which I know seems an age away. from what I have read its the 12 week benchmark that seems to be the best. keep at it, its bloody hard but from looking at this site we know we aren't alone.

pollynewsome
26-05-15, 21:46
Hi guys thanks for the post.. Well im on 40mg and am at week 9.. The most horrific side affects for approx the first 5 week.. everything everyone else has had.. scary.. week 6-8 much better but still not right.. week 9 dreadful again.. feel like im back at square one.. jittery, shaky, anxious you name it.. so fed up.. but i am going to hold out till the 12th week. hoping this is just a blip and that week 10 which is Saturday will be the major turning point.Keep strong people and will update at week 10..

pollynewsome
01-06-15, 12:53
Week ten and still feel rubbish, however i realise i am on 20mg and not 40mg.. and for the past four days had a really bad cold.. so i am still hoping its just a blip but hand on heart not feeling it yet though. Keep strong everyone. x

Deepthinker
03-06-15, 20:05
ah, polly, so sorry that you still aren't feeling your old self yet.:hugs:

pollynewsome
04-06-15, 21:57
Hi ive quit taking them. Spoke to docs and she seems to think i should try others but ive told her i never started taking them for depression it was anxiety and that i now feel fed up and struggle to get going etc.. She said ok well stop taking them and take Propranolol for the anxiety and see how ya feel. A guy i know whos a hypnotherapist thinks the tabs could well be making my anxiety worse.. so i will keep you informed.. two days off them and feeling a lot happier in myself.. but i think thats mostly because i hated taking them.. Keep strong guys and hope all works out for you x

dizzylala
06-06-15, 11:52
Just a quick update as I feel calmer when I read everyone else's experiences and hope that after weeks of taking the tablets I'll start to feel less depressed and focus a bit more.

Day 19 - A lot of the side effects have subsided like the panic/anxiety but I'm not sure if the Propranol has helped with that as I'm able to sort of sleep through the night. The things that are doing my head in a bit are Ive started with (embarrassing saying it) but the runs in the past week not sure if anyone else has been the same.Appetite isnt great but i do feel better when I eat a least something. The low horrible feeling when I wake up isn't going but its early days and the major thing Im struggling with is motivation, crying and at the moment. Ive spent all morning just thinking about stuff and probably over-analysing everything. Hoping that eventually that will stop as its not how I want to spend all my days.

Its nice to read everyones experiences as I always felt a stigma on myself about admitting I have got problems and I hope everyone sticks with it as the positive stories really make me try and focus on thinking life wont be like this forever and hopefully I'll start to love myself a little more and not feel such a burden.

pollynewsome
07-06-15, 13:13
Dizzlayla keep strong. The side effects are horrible but they do go:) and there hopefully be light at end of tunnel. yay x

cavo
28-08-15, 21:42
hi, just discovered this forum. have been on 20mg prozac for 6 weeks now. have really mixed feelings so far. i did not feel any major side effects during first 3 weeks and actually felt improvement in my depression. depressive thoughts are pretty much gone but in week 4 it seems like everything going slowly downhill. first i started feeling cold in the mornings, the feeling subsided during afternoon. also pounding heart and something which probably is anxiety, pretty intense lately. also feel very tired and wake up not rested. again, this is week 6, i was told that prozac reaches its full potential in week 6. so far, doesnt seem like it.

also, any idea if depression could be triggered by lack of sleep or interrupted sleep? i have 3 year old, very, very bad sleeper. in 3 years, i have had very few restful nights and i am suspecting this could be the cause that triggered my depressions?

thanks

Panther1
21-09-15, 20:46
10 mg for 4 weeks. Loose bowels and occasional diarrhea. Had a few good days. Belching sometimes eases the anxiety and sour stomach.

Anybody get much past 4 weeks and see improvement?

3rd major bout of depression and anxiety in the last 20 years and this is the worst.

Janine
22-09-15, 20:38
It is all normal and it is a very bumpy road for a few weeks with good days and bad days, 4 to 5 and half weeks were my worst time and I thought I would never feel better but just after that I started to have more good than bad days and really turned a corner, just take it day by day, 6 maybe 8 weeks before they really kick in.

Janine

Rayniverse
22-09-15, 23:46
I have been feeling intense side effects today, I am on day 6, the most uncomfortable is the weird panic/anxiety/space cadet feeling and not being able to concentrate, followed by insanely sweaty palms which is now starting to hurt like when you have been in the shower or bath too long (anyone else experienced this?)

Thank you everyone for your input, I was feeling so alone before reading this thread, signed up just to say thanks and I wish you all the best.

newgirl81
16-11-15, 01:38
.. I'm in beginning of 3rd week.. having a we full side effects .. the anxiety has taken over my life.. the doctor has me on 2mgs of ativan a day just to cope.. I'm always sedated I can't be alone..must have someone here at all times.. the nausea n throwing up doesn't make it any easier.. I lost 15 lbs in a week and a half.. the only time I get a little relief is at night.. I'm so scared this will never end.. it feels like a lifetime already suffering like this.. n the holidays are coming around I hope I get to enjoy at least Christmas bc thanksgiving will probably be a wash.. when can I expect to get some relief from the anxious feeling.. any help from anyone would be great!!!

MissyMischief
16-11-15, 20:52
.. I'm in beginning of 3rd week.. having a we full side effects .. the anxiety has taken over my life.. the doctor has me on 2mgs of ativan a day just to cope.. I'm always sedated I can't be alone..must have someone here at all times.. the nausea n throwing up doesn't make it any easier.. I lost 15 lbs in a week and a half.. the only time I get a little relief is at night.. I'm so scared this will never end.. it feels like a lifetime already suffering like this.. n the holidays are coming around I hope I get to enjoy at least Christmas bc thanksgiving will probably be a wash.. when can I expect to get some relief from the anxious feeling.. any help from anyone would be great!!!

What you are feeling sounds like what most people go through when starting a new antidepressant. It can take 6 to 8 weeks to feel the full effects. Three weeks in still isn't that long, unfortunately. Hang in there, and let us know how it goes!

ShellyTai
22-11-15, 20:22
How's everyone doing ?
I'm on day 26 and really struggling to keep it together......the Health Anxiety is going nuts .....
Hard to believe that it'll get better.
x

Jaysmd
09-01-16, 04:24
After trying many ad's with no success (I think the doctors were ramping me to high dosages too quickly) I ended up on effexor for 8 months.

After not really benefiting from that I decided I wanted to come off the medications, so over a 3 month period I reduced my effexor significantly but as withdrawal side effects became near unbearable doc suggested I bridge with Prozac. Long story short I came off both medications and had the best 3 months of my life, I had never felt better or more free.

Unfortunately in just a single week everything came crashing down again, old symptoms returned... Anxiety, lethargic, low mood.

Doc decided to put me back on Prozac the medication chosen to bridge during my effexor withdrawal.

Day 20 now, 10mg for first 2 weeks and 20mg for last 5 days, nausea has passed, blurred vision has passed, I'm just left with an anxiety that feels 10x worse than what is was when I got back on the medication.

In the last few days I have had to take ativan just to get me through, which disappoints me as I try to avoid Benzos.

I know this increased anxiety is a side effect but it really takes its toll riding out the initial weeks. I do have hope though after reading that others found success at the 4-6 week mark.

MissyMischief
09-01-16, 04:58
Hi Jaysmd

I'm day 36 on 20mg, and anxiety has crept back in after a month of feeling pretty okay. I too have gone back to taking Xanax on some days this week, because anxiety is just really unbearable at times.

It seems like 6 to 8 weeks is the magic time to get solid results for most people. I've just started week 6, so I'm just going to ride out these next couple weeks as best I can.

Good luck to you!

Jaysmd
09-01-16, 06:08
It's just hard that coming up to the three week mark most side effects have subsided except the anxiety has magnified and become crippling. Anxiety is what I'm trying to beat with this medication. It's a slap in the face really

flannel
09-01-16, 06:22
Hi! Just wanted to share my experience with fluoxetine since I've been on and off it several times now. I didn't really experience increased anxiety as some people are reporting (but I would say when I was put on it previously I was very severely anxious anyway) but I definitely had stomach troubles and problems concentrating. I would say it took about 1-2 months for symptoms to go away completely but during the mean time taking it with food and at a consistant time made things manageable. I found it to be a really awesome med and wish it still worked for me.

MissyMischief
10-01-16, 00:03
It's just hard that coming up to the three week mark most side effects have subsided except the anxiety has magnified and become crippling. Anxiety is what I'm trying to beat with this medication. It's a slap in the face really

Yeah, my anxiety has increased at the moment, too. I've just given up and taken a Xanax. Keep posting day to day if it helps you. I know it helps me knowing there are others out there. I think the side effects should subside in a week or two.

Hey flannel! Glad you're doing well on Fluoxetine! It's nice to hear positive stories--they keep me going.

BLM
12-02-16, 14:37
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum! I just recently signed up after finding this thread which has helped me immensely! I'm experiencing a lot of the same side effects as a lot of others. My doctor switched me from citalophram to 20mg Prozac on 2/2 and I'm now on day 10. At the beginning I had indigestion, trouble sleeping through the night, and increased anxiety. As of the last two days it hasn't been as much anxiety as it has of just feeling blah. Loke my body is still in anxiety mode, but my mind isn't. My mind is in a no care zone. While this might seem like a good thing, it's not. I still can't find myself being either happy or sad. Has this happened to anyone else?! Thanks in advance

xo Britt

Zoe01708
28-02-16, 08:33
hi Blm
Saw your post and was wondering how you doing now?

leanne1403
08-04-16, 22:29
hi i have suffered panic disorder,depresion and panic attacks,over the past 31 days ive been trying to cope with being put on prozac.i feel i have had it worse tan ever,i am housebound and suffering so bad with the panic anxiety,nothing has changedso far if anything i feel worse,i am on 40mg,,,,,plz help

neileo
09-04-16, 01:37
hi i have suffered panic disorder,depresion and panic attacks,over the past 31 days ive been trying to cope with being put on prozac.i feel i have had it worse tan ever,i am housebound and suffering so bad with the panic anxiety,nothing has changedso far if anything i feel worse,i am on 40mg,,,,,plz help

leanne, I'm so sorry you are going thru the prozac blues. A good many of us seem to hit the wall then go backwards from around weeks 4-6. It will get better and you will not feel this way forever! Do you have anything else to take like a beta blocker that would help you cope with the anxiety while the prozie kicks in?

I am going through a real bad time the last week or so and the only thing that I can find comfort in is these boards and reading how others have been where we are and have fully recovered! I'm just into week 8 and I'm definitely running low on patience.

Please keep checking back in here, it will help give your mind something to do and we all can help support one another. Hope you start feeling better soon! :hugs:

Hayl89
22-04-16, 22:54
Hi, I'm Hayleigh.
I have just been prescribed Fluoxetine for depression and after reading peoples experiences of the side effects I am really nervous to start taking them! :weep:

Jeancarlo123
13-05-16, 02:15
I'm on day 21 today and still feeling hellish! I am on it for panic and anxiety.....xanax is my best friend right now because I don't know how I can cope...I pray for better days soon...I have to be at work like this...I don't want to give up.

Roman
07-02-17, 10:14
Edit

panic_down_under
07-02-17, 11:00
This is my second time on fluoxetine and I am having a horrible time at the moment. Wake up with dread and hopelessness and really have to struggle to do anything.

For reasons which aren't that clear, side-effects seem to become progressively more severe each time antidepressants are stopped and restarted and they may be different too.

Also, having some toilet issues the past couple of days (should this be happening 3 weeks in?).

Unfortunately, yes. For some the side-effects begin within an hour of taking the first pill, for others it may take a few weeks. A delayed onset may be more likely with fluoxetine due to its long half-life. It can take 4 weeks for fluoxetine plasma levels to build and stabilize and several months for that of its active metabolite.

The enteric nervous system (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gut-second-brain/), the mini brain which controls the gut is by far the most serotonergic organ of the body, making and using about 50 times as much serotonin as the brain so can be more affected by serotonergic antidepressants than their target organ is at the beginning.

For constipation, increase the amount of fibre in the diet and also your water intake. Stool softeners can make things easier too. For the opposite problem, over the counter remedies containing loperamide such as Imodium usually help with diarrhoea.

Roman
07-02-17, 11:14
Thanks so much for the quick and helpful reply!

Tigger62
20-04-17, 18:00
Hello,
Wow, if I had known of all these side effects with fluoxetine I'm not sure I would have started them. Im on day 4, taking 20mg fluoxetine for depression which I have lived with for 17 years. I have all the side effects everyone else on here has experienced - nervousness, anxiety, edgy energy, panic, zero appetite..luckily I am off work and am being cared for by my family. If there's anyone still on this forum that had similar side effects, could you please give me some words of encouragement? When did you start feeling better?

mlee10
20-04-17, 18:28
Hi Tigger!

Stick with it! In the long run it will work. You just have to give yourself time to get over the hump with the side effects. There is a great post (I believe it's a sticky post) that talks about what you can expect timeline wise and I found it very helpful and encouraging!

Keep doing what you are doing, the meds will work. Keep your head up and positive thoughts!

Megan

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 ----------

Name of the post is A timetable to recovery.....

Very helpful!

panic_down_under
20-04-17, 23:14
Hello,

Welcome to No More Panic, :welcome:

Wow, if I had known of all these side effects with fluoxetine I'm not sure I would have started them.

You're doctor should have warned you. The days of treating patients like mushrooms are long over. :mad:

I have all the side effects everyone else on here has experienced - nervousness, anxiety, edgy energy, panic, zero appetite..

And after warning you about the side-effects also handed you a prescription for one of the benzodiazepines (BZDs) to ease anxiety, or perhaps for hydroxyzine (Vistaril) if s/he's unwilling to prescribe BZDs.

When did you start feeling better?

The side-effects are being triggered by the initial increase in serotonin activity. After a week or two the brain and other affected organs should adapt by reducing serotonin synthesis and expression and the side-effects will begin to diminish. They may, however, return for a short while after dose increases.

Jadenatalie
23-05-18, 09:11
Just laid in bed and read this thread for an hour. I am on day 14 and anxiety is crippling. I am also very very restless. I feel some hope reading these posts. It is very hard, I have a partner and a 2 year old son and feel like I am letting them both down. Hope things will pick up soon, otherwise I don't know what to do. :-(
X

ScaredScot
26-08-18, 21:44
I've just started them and a bit scared by some of the stories in this thread and others.

My anxiety level definitely worse than before and I have had quite a few panic attacks and sweating bouts.

Going to try to stick it out though.

Wish me luck.

ScaredScot

otterman
28-08-18, 23:33
Hi Scaredscot,
I,m on week 18 ish now, the first 5 weeks were bad and at times i just wanted to quit the fluoxetine, i had all the classic side effects, no appetite, sleep disorders and cold sweats waking with panic attacks, bowel problems, dry mouth, lack of energy and depression.
The list goes on, i just kept reading the threads and telling myself that all i had was a chemical imbalance in my brain, and it would get better with time. It has got better and i would say im now back to 95% me again, so stick with the meds no matter what your anxiety tells you to do.
So stick with it, you will get better but its not a quick fix.
Good luck, and wishing you happiness, Otterman.

Gareth
18-03-19, 15:27
Hi all,
I'm on day 15 (20mg) and after two weeks of bearable side effects it has hit me like a train today.

The worst thing is this horrendous pounding/squeezing headache that I've had since last night. And nausea and body aches. It just feels like I've been poisoned.

I don't see headaches mentioned very often by people - did anyone experience crippling headaches at the start of taking Fluox?