PDA

View Full Version : Fluoxetine side effects - a message of hope

Pages : [1] 2

tontoe
10-11-08, 19:27
First of all I'd like to say thanks to everyone who's posted their experiences about Fluoxetine here - they've helped me a lot.

Secondly, I'd like to offer a message of hope to anyone going through the hell of Fluoxetine side effects. I've had bouts of depression on and off for seventeen years; I've tried medication, Therapy, counselling, meditation... you name it. Not much helped, really. But then I had a particularly bad bout in late summer and was really reaching the end of my tether.

I went to the GP and she put me on fluoxetine. The first few days were okay, but the next few weeks seemed like absolute hell - insomnia, terrible anxiety, nightmares, crazy turning thoughts... all much worse than the symptoms I was taking the pills to remove. I was very scared, very anxious and feeling desperate. I seriously thought about coming off the drug and discussed the options with my GP. But, something inside me said "stick it out". As I didn't have to go to work for a week or so, I did stick it out, and after that low point I started to feel better.

I've been on it (20mg a day, taken in the mornings) for over two months now, and I have to say I feel much better than I did - brighter and more positive - the side effects have really diminished too. I'm working okay (and even enjoying it!) sleep from 11pm until 7am and as an added bonus have not felt like a cigarette for two months! The only downside has been that I have to severely limit my alcohol intake as I find that anything more than a galss of wine or a beer makes me feel awful the next morning. But that's probably better for my health anyway!

Obviously everybody's different, and the drug may not suit everyone who tries it, but as I remember reading some of the horror stories about side effects and really relating to them, I thought I'd just post about the positive experience I've had since the side effects diminished. When you're right in the middle of them, they seem like they'll never end, but they did for me. So if you're trying to get through them, my thoughts are with you and good luck.

nicgrace
10-11-08, 19:48
Wow Tontoe everything you have mentioned is what has been ahppening to me....I am actually thinking of increasing my dose as I am begining to think maybe its not enough to make the anxiety feelings go!?

I have been on since Sept and have to say you are so right on the wine / beer! My anxiety the next day is horrendous and I end up taking diazepam to ease it....this edge can last for a couple of days after too!

Glad to hear things have finally turned for the better....I am so chuffed for you

Nic x

kitttykat
16-11-08, 18:27
Tontoe, likewise, I have just got through the side effects and the drug is beginning to work, it has taken just over a month for me to get any where resembling a human being, but it was all so worthwile. I actually smiled because I felt happy the other day, I can't remember the last time that happened!

So glad I stuck with the fluoxetine, it has made the world of difference to me.

cwis
18-03-11, 22:19
I also want to thank everyone who has posted information and support here.

I have experienced many of the symtons. I was at the end of my tether, I couldnt have imagined how bad the side effects of fluoxetine would make me feel. I also didnt have any effects for the first few days, then increased anxiety, depression and numerous side effects set in - Feeling dizzy, sick, could bearly eat for a week, shakes, fear, scared and increasingly desperate. I wasnt sure if it was fluoxetine making me worse, or if i was just getting worse, until a good friend directed me to this site.

The doctors dont give you this sort of information and you feel so alone, desperate and that nobody can understand. I can say I dont think I could have understood unless i'd been there. But I am glad to say just about three weeks in I have had my first day of feeling slightly better. So anyone thinking there is no light at the end of the tunnel hang in there becasue THERE IS!!

solly
09-07-11, 13:05
Are there any other success stories out there after experiencing hellish side effects?
I could do with some encouragement right now cause at the moment I feel like quitting cold turkey, today is my 12th day.

M155anthr0p3
09-07-11, 15:25
No solly don't do it, remember we are doing this together to make us strong enough to be able to beat anxiety!
I am 100% that these side effects will go away and leave things looking brighter for us.
Its going to be hard but who wants any achievement in life to be easy! Don't give up on yourself

Xxx

redfox_77
25-10-11, 10:32
hi i have been on this drug since i got the advice from this site and was a great help to me i was on 20 mg but i lost my mother in 2010 and my dad in 2011 so i could feell the anxity attacks creeping back into my life so i asked the doctor igf i could increase the dose to 40 mg of witch im hoping will work as i would not want to go back to my state when i was having these attacks but i feel a few side effects from the increase iis this natural

englishgirlinscot
07-11-11, 18:51
Hello - I am new to the forums. I just wanted to say how fantastically helpful and reassuring I have found this website to be. Tontoes' post in particular has bought me great comfort over the past few weeks.

To explain, I am an OCD sufferer who has occasional & really not very serious 'flair ups' if I can put it in those terms! I went to my (new) doctor and she suggested Fluoxetine rather than my usual Cipralex, so I went along with this.

Well essentially I have just spent a month having OCD, panic attacks (never had those before) - terrible depression, unable to eat, absolutely crazy turning thoughts you name it! I ended going back to the doctor who said 'oh yes those side effects are listed, don't worry'! She gave me some Diazapam which I have used very sparingly (in fact, only 5).

I am now at the end of week 5 and am definately beginning to feel better, the OCD thoughts have subsided a lot and the terrible depression (something I wasn't in fact suffering from before) has lessened. I really feel I am turning the corner. I really wanted to add to the messages of hope though as I have never experienced anything like this, in my 43 years!, the Cipralex just used to make me sleepy.

So my very best wishes to all of you suffering out there and so many thanks to those that have posted here - this is a fantastic resource.

sickandtired
08-12-11, 18:32
I am on day 3 of Fluoxetine....Ive heard good things about this AD so Im going to battle it out......anything to feel like i used to.
felt a bit 'manic' today,upbeat,even chatty........weird,as ive not felt like that for a while.maybe its just a good day....am i in for a fall tomorrow?

englishgirlinscot
12-12-11, 17:56
I am on day 3 of Fluoxetine....Ive heard good things about this AD so Im going to battle it out......anything to feel like i used to.
felt a bit 'manic' today,upbeat,even chatty........weird,as ive not felt like that for a while.maybe its just a good day....am i in for a fall tomorrow?
I felt exactly the same some days - I went running to get rid of some of the manic energy! A good day is not necessarily followed by a bad one. What'll you;ll find after a month - 6 weeks is that the good days outnumber the bad by a significant amount. Keep going

LadyJane
09-02-12, 07:17
we can do this together.
we have to stick with it.
we have to believe this.
we have eachother, for me that is enough to get past these aweful side effects.

much love, peace and light to everyone out there
xxx:hugs:

Naro1
09-02-12, 08:02
Thank you so much for the positive posts... you all have been there, so you know firsthand how the side effects can rip off hope for beginners!

I am on day 10, and misearble! But I'll try to stick with this med for as long as I can!

Margie1
16-05-12, 08:22
Hi Im new here and going through years of terrible panic and anxiety, my doctor recommended fluoxetine and I had awful side effects with it so I stopped. They had terrible effects on my eyes and gave me mydriasis which is one pupil going a lot larger than the other, it sent me into a complete world of panic I ended up having a brain scan which thankfully was normal but Im so frightened to go back on them, I have a heart condition and my Gp says they are the safest ones for me so Im wondering if anyone else experienced any change in their eyes whilst taking the flouxetine, any pharmasist Ive asked have never heard of them effecting the eyes which is making them even more difficult to take. I really need to be on something as the anxiety and depression is escalating to a much higher level which I didnt even think was possible. Please Help!

LAURA48
16-05-12, 09:29
Hi - I was on fluoxetine for 15 years and found it fantastic - the side effects were horrendous and no internet then - for me anyway! I suffer with OCD (Pure O) - only just had a diagnosis and had none whilst on fluox 20mg. It took 12 weeks for me to feel good - it gave up the ghost last October and have suffered since. I am seeing a psychiatrist (private) because of the rubbish NHS system in Mental Health and having tried Sertraline to no avail on Citalopram going up to 40mg on Sat. I asked him if it would be as effective as fluox and he replied at the end of the day it is an SSRI which work better for OCD.

One word of warning - I tried Fluoxetine again a couple of months later and it was a nightmare and felt suicidal. My advice if it works stay on it for life if you have to - I will stay on Citalopram as second time round on them they do not have the same effect from what I have read on here too.

I have found the initial start up effects on Citalopram are no where near as horrid as Fluoxetine - just hoping they work as good.

babelfish
17-07-12, 17:21
Thanks for all the encouraging posts on this thread. I am on day 12 with fluoxetine 20mg which was prescribed for deprssion/anxiety/panic attacks. This has definitely been the worst day for side-effects so far - jittery, dry mouth, lots of nervous energy, poor sleep quality - but no full-blown panic attacks like before (used to get excruciating abdominal cramps, diarrhea, heartburn, palpitations and high blood pressure). It looks like I will need to stick with treatment for a few more weeks until I start getting the full benefit but I am glad to see the fluoxetine will work eventually.

Amandala
18-07-12, 13:20
I am loving reading about all these experiences! I'm on day 8 and I am feeling kind of the same as I was before, maybe a little bit calmer.. I know sometimes the side effects take time to build but I weaned off the cymblata right before changing to prozac so maybe I'll be one of the lucky few with a smooth ride? Thinking of you all and hang in there!!

Amandala
05-08-12, 23:15
ok, so how is everyone doing? I spoke too soon and as soon as I hit week three the side effects got me.. Waking up trembling and heart pounding every morning and then that eases up and them I am just on the edge for the rest of the day. Does this pass by soon you think? I don't want to quit yet. I'm a day away from starting week 4. :)

Denco
06-08-12, 02:02
Thanks to all that have posted their experience with Fluoxentine. I am on day seven , and have been going through many of the side effects; nauseous , anxious, tiredness , head fog, etc... It is reassuring to know that things will get better if I continue through this. Today was my worst day, but yesterday was my best... I guess it's a day-by-day thing.

Emphyrio
06-08-12, 02:22
Sometimes the side effects can last several weeks. I've recently started on fluoxetine for the third time in my life, and the side effects were terrible - felt so on edge for several weeks, though I had been feeling that way in the weeks beforehand anyway (previously I just felt down and lethargic when I went on them). Around the middle of the 5th week on them the side effects seemed to go away pretty quickly and now I'm feeling so much better.

I could have tried a couple of other SSRIs for pure O OCD but I decided to go back on fluoxetine as I had managed to live a fairly normal life on it before and I didn't want to be messing around with new meds again.

Piano
06-08-12, 12:23
Thanks to all of you who have posted your experiences, your posts have helped me greatly for the last month. I have been on 10 mg fluoxetine for a month for anxiety, and three days ago i increased my dose to 20 mg. Now I feel very anxious again. The first two weeks on 10 mg were terrible, but then I gradually started to feel better. Have anyone experiences the anxiety coming back after increasing the dose? I feel so alone and desperate, please help! And I really hope all of you struggling with side effects get better soon!

Butterflylady
06-08-12, 20:57
Hi everyone , I just wanted to say how this site has really helped. its a shame my Dr coudnt of at least warned me of how these fluoxetine tablets were going to make me feel.
I am on day 12 of 20mg. I had a nasty fall and was knocked unconsious back in May, been diagnosed with Post Concusion Syndome and Dr put me on Fluoxetine. The anxiety is awful, going out on my own is a nightmare. Luckily the dr put me off work. They really make you feel weird dont they. Out of worry one night I googled for side effects as the tablets had no leaflet with them. I stumbled on this website, thank god I am not alone in all this. Thanks to all of you, and good luck in the coming weeks, lets hope we all start feeling better soon . x

Piano
08-08-12, 18:08
Hi, now I have been on 10 mg fluoxetine for 5 weeks now, and I have been gradually feeling slightly better after the first two terrible weeks. But today I was hit by a sudden and intense depression that lasted for more than an hour, I just went to bed and felt desperately low. My doctor has told me that 10 mg probably is enough, but I wonder if my dosage is to low or I may be on the wrong medication. Please give me some encouragement, i really thought I was getting better, but now I am so low....

dbbills
09-08-12, 16:02
Hi first time on this forum nice to see all the posative messages i started taking fluoxetine 6 days ago and the side effects are terreable so far i feel like iam getting worse. Unable to go to work today headache,can't sleep,restlessness ,agitated etc etc when will they start to get better

TheRivieraKid
10-08-12, 10:50
Hi guys
First time poster here - am taking Fluoxetine (20mg) prescribed to me by my doctor for supposed Chronic Fatigue - although after a lot of work with a therapist it seems more and more likely it is my perpetual state of anxiety which may be causing my physical symptoms.

I'm on Day 8 of taking it, initially just felt a bit woozy but have found the initial side affects to be pretty damn full on at times. Getting the dry mouth, occasional itching on my back, increased sensitivity to things in general and weakness but also last night had a really disturbed night's sleep, sweating loads almost like those dreams you have when you get flu!

I've found it really helpful to keep a journal of how I'm feeling each day, every few hours I write down how I'm feeling to keep track of my progress - also it's a little boost as you chalk each day off!

Am going to speak to my doctor today to discuss - I hope this is all worth it :wacko:

northstreet
13-08-12, 16:30
I have just started taking Fluxetine 20 mg prescribed by my doctor. It is day 10. I have been feeling ok lately and to be honest I dont know if its the drug as its aerly from what I have read. I am getting really stressed as I am sweating so much and not at night. As soon as I do the slightest bit of physical work I sweat buckets. Will this pass? I cannot keep taking this if it wont stop as even my work collegues must be noticing . I work in an air con office and have little physical work to do usually but am quite a fit person . I hate taking tablets but am trying to keep with it. HELP

electrical_stormgirl
15-08-12, 13:57
This is my third attempt at getting back on Fluoxetine. After taking a break for a year I decided I needed it again a few months ago but I keep stopping due to the side effects- bad headaches that last for days, nausea and disturbed dreams. Plus hardly anyone knows I'm on them so people keep remarking on how ill I always am :mad: I'm really going to persevere though, I know the side effects will wear off and I do need anti depressants. Good to read other people have had similar problems and got through it :)

strangedays
25-08-12, 22:53
Hi all. First ever post on anything like this .Been on 20mg of Fluoxetine for 3 weeks exactly and just want to give some details of what I have experienced to date.Take the pill first thing in the morning after I force down some breakfast and continue to feel rubbish until late afternoon when things do improve.My appetite returns in a fashion at around 6pm and from then until bedtime (about11pm) I feel not bad at all.Also try to get out walking in the evening which does no harm. Sleep pattern has altered quite a bit. Wake up about 2am feeling great ,wake again at 5am and so so but by 7am bang the clouds are back and the day starts all over again.
On the up side I decided to stop drinking alcohol and coffee and have not missed either.
It has been good reading other peoples posts and it has given me the encouragement to give the medication time to work.With the help of my wife and family I know I will get through this bad spell .Stick in everyone.....there is a good day coming! :)

electrical_stormgirl
29-08-12, 12:50
I persevered with the fluox this time and I'm happy to say I'm still taking them. I've had a niggly headache today & yesterday but on the whole side effects don't seem too bad this time. Fingers crossed! Not sure whether I feel happier yet but it has only been 3 weeks. Deffo recommend sticking with them if you can because the side effects will wear off and it might change your life :yesyes:

bestylegs
22-10-12, 19:28
Hi Im new here and going through years of terrible panic and anxiety, my doctor recommended fluoxetine and I had awful side effects with it so I stopped. They had terrible effects on my eyes and gave me mydriasis which is one pupil going a lot larger than the other, it sent me into a complete world of panic I ended up having a brain scan which thankfully was normal but Im so frightened to go back on them, I have a heart condition and my Gp says they are the safest ones for me so Im wondering if anyone else experienced any change in their eyes whilst taking the flouxetine, any pharmasist Ive asked have never heard of them effecting the eyes which is making them even more difficult to take. I really need to be on something as the anxiety and depression is escalating to a much higher level which I didnt even think was possible. Please Help!
Hi,

I am new to this site but I have just been given Fluoxetine and I have got to say I was thinking of coming off them. Its mainly the nausea thats bothering me but they are making my eyes feel weird. My eyes feel heavy and they are making me feel dizzy. I have been given them for the symptoms of the menopause, hot flushes, but if these symptoms dont subside soon I will quit.

STEPHYUNO
23-10-12, 18:54
Hi Redfox 77, so sorry to hear about your parents!

Yeah it is natural to feel some side effects when you go up in dosage, but they don't last and nowhere near original ones,

Love and prayers,

Stephen

joy
24-10-12, 08:51
My eyes are blurry and my reading vision its good since starting Prozac if that helps

Joy

Superstar7
01-11-12, 18:47
Hey all!! I have suffered with anxiety for sometime! I am a terror for coming on and off but im sticking with them this time!!.......Just reading this has made me feel better! I was sure I was going crazy loosing my mind! Recently split with gf (my fault) and even tho she came to see me yesterday and said she'll see me again i've been thinking she's seeing someone else and also all sorts of CRAZY thoughts! I am getting the impression its the fluoxotine doing it to me now. Honest the thoughts wud seriously only make sense to me!....I keep just beliving the worst when really I should be pleased she's even speaking. Surely thats a good thing. I am going to try my best to persevere with the tablets and ignore the thoughts I am having!

Iwanttofeelok
02-11-12, 07:27
Hey, it's day 3 for me - what is it with the pins and needles?? Plus this is the first time I've had OCD symptoms for about 6 months. Seems like regression somehow. Please someone tell me this is normal/or not. Should I go back to my GP or stick it out?? Any words of wisdom would be very welcome right now. Thanks.

Janine
02-11-12, 10:00
Y,ou need to stick it out unfortunately, I went on it for anxiety and my anxiety got worse after taking it, to cut a long story short, lots of different side effects at different times over 5 weeks, and at times I hit rock bottom and thought I would never feel better, I lost loads of weight because I could not eat, couldnt relax etc. there were better days and really bad days, however it will seem a long way a way because it did for me but at just over 5 weeks I started to feel loads better and like me again, I have had little blips since but am now at 10 weeks and feel great.

I did have diazapan to take as when I needed it and some sleeping pills and they both helped the rough days, am also on 160mg slow release propopanhol which has helped so much with the anxiety. I wish I had found this website at the stage you are at as I did not find it until I was about four weeks in, but reading that others are going through the same thing and that they got better plus the really important support that I have had has helped me get where I am now.

Good luck and I am happy to be here for you if you need it.

Janinexxx

Superstar7
02-11-12, 10:02
Thank You Janine!! Yeah the site really helps!! Not enough advice and warning given by the doctor at all!

BellaBella88
05-11-12, 13:40
Thank you everyone for posting your experiences.

I am about to start fluoxetine (maybe tomorrow) but am too nervous because I have heard about the anxiety increase in the first few weeks.

I'm assuming that most people with anxiety problems get this, but I have a fear of being anxious and I really can't find the courage to take fluoxetine if it can make it worse.

I have been having nocturnal panic attacks and have to phone NHS direct every night to help me calm down. I'm also worried that the added anxiety will make it even harder when looking for jobs and going to interviews.

Please could someone offer my any advice?

Thank you in advance.

pretoria
05-11-12, 17:46
Hey BellaBella88

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time at night with anxiety attacks :/ Ironically the people who really don't want to/afraid of taking SSRI's are the ones who really need it and yes it may increase your anxiety for the first few weeks and you may experience some unpleasant side effects but you have to evaluate where you are now, can you live like this? Will enduring the side effects for a few weeks and then getting on that road to recovery outweigh the way you are feeling now? If you are having to ring the NHS for reassurance then they are pretty bad anxiety attacks and maybe you should give Fluoxetine a try?

I know the side effects can be daunting but maybe you could try the "Cranzac" method? A couple of people use this method as it may offer some alleviation from SE's which are not nice :/
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123840

Let us now how you get on in general and what you decide to do. Maybe a diary or your own thread on here detailing how you feel day to day may help, you will certainly get some kind words of encouragement and you can look back and view your progression :)

Nathan x

Sparkle1984
05-11-12, 21:57
Thank you everyone for posting your experiences.

I am about to start fluoxetine (maybe tomorrow) but am too nervous because I have heard about the anxiety increase in the first few weeks.

I'm assuming that most people with anxiety problems get this, but I have a fear of being anxious and I really can't find the courage to take fluoxetine if it can make it worse.

I have been having nocturnal panic attacks and have to phone NHS direct every night to help me calm down. I'm also worried that the added anxiety will make it even harder when looking for jobs and going to interviews.

Please could someone offer my any advice?

Thank you in advance.

I found it was worth a few days of increased anxiety in order to get to where I am now. If you really find it unbearable you can always ask to be switched to a different medication, but there's nothing to lose by trying it.

Don't put yourself under too much pressure to look for jobs and go to interviews at the moment as it may be too stressful right now. I would say give yourself some time to recover from your anxiety and then you can focus on finding a new job.

littlemissjo
06-11-12, 09:23
Unfortunately I'm eight days in and expecting a reply about a second interview this week. Eep! I would call it off but it's my ideal opportunity and my bosses at work make my stress
so elevated that I have told myself 'I am going to get a new job'. I'm hoping its on a good day as if I wake up like I did today it's going to be a struggle :(

polly81
06-11-12, 17:32
I have been on fluxotine for 2 months now and my anxiety/depression has improved but I get awful bouts of nausea everyday. I worry alot about my health anyway even though I am healthy and I'm worried that the nausea is from underlying disease I could have. I just wish it would go away. Maybe I need to increase my dose

littlemissjo
07-11-12, 08:32
Have you looked into CBT for health anxiety Polly?

BellaBella88
07-11-12, 10:12
Thank you, Pretoria and Sparkle.

I saw a psychiatrist last night. I really trust his opinion (it cost me £300 lol). He told me what was causing the anxiety, without trying to link it to study stress and my parent's separation (which was ages ago) like the people I've seen before have.

I'm going to begin cognitive behavioural therapy within a week (I don't want to be on a long NHS waiting list). I told him I was too scared to try the fluoxetine. He did recommend another drug to have instead anyway, but said that if I'm worried about taking drugs, I can see how the CBT goes.

I feel so much better after talking to him. He really seemed to know what he was doing and asked so many questions which seemed irrelevant (such as are my brothers identical twins). Within 10 minutes, he found out that I have mild ADD without me telling him lol.

pretoria
07-11-12, 11:51
Good for you :)

Money is not the issue when you need the help you should take it! That's good that he inspires confidence in you and I agree the NHS are a little slow with waiting lists for services such as CBT, months of waiting is fustrating :/

Well now you have a watchful eye of a qualified psychiatrist and now you can get a proper treatment plan together.

Hope all goes well, let us know how you get on with it :)

Nathan x

electrical_stormgirl
07-11-12, 13:51
That's great news Bella. Nothing worse than seeing someone who has already made up their mind what's wrong with you. Great when someone actually listens :)

Sparkle1984
07-11-12, 14:46
Thank you, Pretoria and Sparkle.

I saw a psychiatrist last night. I really trust his opinion (it cost me £300 lol). He told me what was causing the anxiety, without trying to link it to study stress and my parent's separation (which was ages ago) like the people I've seen before have.

I'm going to begin cognitive behavioural therapy within a week (I don't want to be on a long NHS waiting list). I told him I was too scared to try the fluoxetine. He did recommend another drug to have instead anyway, but said that if I'm worried about taking drugs, I can see how the CBT goes.

I feel so much better after talking to him. He really seemed to know what he was doing and asked so many questions which seemed irrelevant (such as are my brothers identical twins). Within 10 minutes, he found out that I have mild ADD without me telling him lol.

I'm glad you're starting to feel better now. :) It's a shame you have to pay for CBT - the NHS in my area is pretty good but I didn't need 1:1 therapy as I felt a lot better after having group therapy.the waiting isn't so long for group therapy.

Do you have anything to help you if you feel extra anxious or panicky? If you can't tolerate pharmaceuticals you might like herbal/flower remedies such as Rescue Remedy, Kalms or valerian root.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

Just to add, I also have a link to a list of things that help me in my signature below. :)

BellaBella88
07-11-12, 21:16
Thank you very much. Everyone seems so kind and supportive on here.

I feel better already after seeing him and in response to Sparkle, I have been having Ovaltine for the last couple of nights and a really hot bath. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but after doing those two things and staying up reading a magazine until I can't keep awake anymore, I haven't woken up with a panic attack. The Ovaltine makes me relaxed and makes it harder to keep myself awake so I don't end staying up really late.

He did recommend going through with the NHS referral in case the private CBT gets too expensive. He also reassured me about something else and picked up on a couple of extra (but smaller) psychological problems I have which he said he will let the CBTherapist know about.

I have felt a lot more confidence socially today. I don't know if this will be boring to read, but I decided to write it anyway incase it helps someone else who has had a similar problem.

Up until university, I have always been treated as weird by other people, which has caused me to lack confidence. He told me that I don't have any symptoms of a disorder that could affect me socially and said that people with dyslexia and ADD tend to see things differently or get distracted and seem a bit slow to respond sometimes. If people don't know you have dyslexia and ADD, they may react negatively towards you, which obviously builds up low self esteem.

I felt so better after being told that. Sorry for the sudden ending. Mum's coming in lol

Supersal1984
08-11-12, 08:55
How did you manage to get a psychiatrist. I am interested in doing that, but do not know where to start.

Hedley
10-11-12, 17:37
Just to share my 2 cents. This is my Day 12 of fluoxetine for work stress related depression. It's so helpful to read your comments and advice as it is a real struggle - it's hard to say whether the medication or the depression is causing which effect, but at least I can see that there is hope that this will turn and I just have to soldier on. So thank you for helping.

If it helps anyone to compare, I've had increased bouts of anxiety including muscular tension; increased severity of the effects of diurnal mood variation (I am functional 4am-7am and 4pm-11pm but have to drag myself through the working day, trying to manage anxiety); hypnic headaches (being woken by a jackhammer inside your head at 2-3am); tension headaches (back and top of the head); occasional restlessness; terminal (late) insomnia (partly caused by the hypnic headaches); also find it very difficult to be alone and/or make decisions (increases anxiety). Apart from putting me on Prozac and offering sleeping pills, my GPs have been next to useless - I found out on the internet how to deal with the hypnic headaches (drink coffee before going to bed - yes, I know it's counterintuitive, but it seems to work).

I think this is going to be the longest 4 weeks of my life but I am hanging on in there because it seems that these symptoms are not unusual and should pass. Thanks everyone for that solace.

STEPHYUNO
12-11-12, 21:22
Hi there,
I have had various SSRIs over the years including fluoxetine, I recently went back on them after few years and did have some heightened anxiety and sickly feelings at times, but they do subside after a week or so. I found it really helpful to keep a diary for these first couple weeks, for example I would have day one, split into four periods,like 09.00-13.00, 13.00-17.00, 17.00 -23.00 and 23.00 -09.00 noting when I took my meds and how I felt on a scale of 1-10 for each period and left space for any more detailed additional comments, and the same for day two and so forth.

It just helped me feel more control, gave me an outlet and allowed me to monitor things, I think it would perhaps help you to do that too,

best regards, Stephen:)

Kayleigh100
13-11-12, 19:24
I'm on day 7 of Fluoxetine and feeling so tired, shakey, head-foggy, some paranoia and anxiousness. I did use this medication about 10 years ago for a while and know, in the end, it was quite good, so I am sticking with it. So difficult when you have so many stressful things around to cope with. Thanks for listening to me.

Piano
13-11-12, 20:14
Here is a hug for you:hugs:

Kayleigh100
13-11-12, 20:39
Thank you :) I'm looking around the forum one for some sort of idea as to how long the adjustment might take. Dr said two weeks before I will start to feel better but didn't say I would feel worse first.

Janine
13-11-12, 20:50
Kayleigh, it is still early days and you do feel worse before you feel better, you may have a rollercoaster of side effects over the next few weeks. It took me to five and a half weeks to start to feel like me, I did have some better days and some really bad days but it was so worth it, I am 11 weeks now and so glad I stuck with it. Finding this website when I was four weeks in and was feeling dreadful helped me so much, I could see that I was not alone in the way I was feeling and kept me going

Kayleigh100
13-11-12, 23:18
Thank you

kelthebrave
14-11-12, 21:41
Good evening everyone,

I have just joined this site. I have just been given a course of Fluoxetine, and I saw this thread. Over the summer in London, got a severe virus called 'Necrotizing Fasciitis' which is a flesh eating bacteria. It ate my right foot and all the way up my right leg. I woke from a 2 week coma and i have been recovering ever since. It has been hard but i have always stayed focused. I had to leave my life in London and return to my hometown. I have been trying to get past this anxiety, and this constant negative thoughts about life, until today when i finally spoke to my doctor about it. I feel very conscious when i am in public and my confidence has been affected so much. I just want to get back to the person i used to be. Anyway i won't go on, but thanks for all the information you guys have gave me, and it is great to see I am not alone.

little scientist
14-11-12, 22:04
wow Kel, that's serious stuff! Did you manage to keep your leg? I hope your recovery continues well :)

Piano
14-11-12, 22:09
Sending you hugs and warm thoughts. :hugs:

Supersal1984
15-11-12, 00:58
Sending you hugs Kelly x

wallybox
19-11-12, 23:33
This has been an incredibly helpful resource as someone who's started fluoxetine two weeks ago and has experienced side effects such as insomnia, decreased appetite, increased anxiety, etc. I switched to fluoxetine after stopping celexa and trazodone due to experiencing bradycardia and hypotension that was very unpleasant. Not knowing which med was causing those symptoms, my doc and I decided to stop the celexa first, and when the hypotension and bradycardia was still a problem, we determined it was the trazodone and stopped that med as well. Since then my vitals have returned to normal.

I was ready to give up on fluoxetine and even asked my doc to put me back on celexa, to which he declined. I'm glad he did because it seems these side effects are normal, common, and will go away if I stick with it. Funny how my doc didn't tell me all this.

It's just great to know I don't have to suffer in silence any longer, that there are others who've experienced similar symptoms while starting fluoxetine only to have things improve only weeks later.

It also seems you have to take your time titrating up with fluoxetine as going up too fast can exacerbate side effects (I found out the hardway after going up from 40mg to 60 mg less than two weeks in). I'm back down to 40mg and am feeling things starting to level off.

Again, thanks to all of you for your encouraging words; they've been a :hugs:godsend.

Kayleigh100
20-11-12, 08:15
Another dire morning for me. Panic attacks now seem controlled by meds - I have them but something is stopping me freaking out like I used to but I am now getting hot sweats - like it has to come out one way or another???

Brookey91
20-11-12, 08:33
Hi Guys. I'm new to this but thought I would give it a go! It's day 2 for me on Fluoxetine and I am feeling really spaced out and foggy. Is this normal? Having read all the posts on here it looks like I may be in for a rough ride for the first month or so but as I suffer panic attacks on a regular basis (usually in the middle of the night) and anxiety hopefully I can push through it and eventually it will improve. So glad I found this forum and people who can offer advice.:)

mabix
07-12-12, 00:07
im so pleased i found this ..........im on day 4 of fluoxitine and im its bad, my anxiety is bad enough but these have made it ten times worse, i am a nervous wreck, all of the bad things now seem so much worse than they did im so scared. I dont think i can do this if the side effects last this long esp with xmas in a couple of weeks as i have young children :( im going to suggest taking citalopram again ...any thoughts ??? xxx

mumo42012
08-12-12, 23:56
i too felt like that in the first week, im on day 13 tomora and have felt good most of this week. i know that im not 100% but def better than i was.. stick with it if u can and just take each day as it comes... if u feel like staying in bed, stay in bed, although i found makin myself go out at least once a day does help, it breaks up the day too xx hope u start to feel better real soon xx

Staceywacey87
10-12-12, 12:17
Hi

I have generalised anxiety and some panic attacks which have caused me to have raised blood pressure.

As I'm only 24 the doctor started me on fluoxetine 20mg daily.

I have taken this for 3 days n felt great but when I woke up this morning I had a weird feeling like the inside of my body was freezing cold although my skin to touch was warm, increased heart rate when these chills happened and just generally unwell!

I'm waiting for a call back from my GP to see wether I should continue taking them! But as so many people have such bad side effects not sure if I want to now! I don't want to cause myself more problems than I hate before! X

tanyat
10-12-12, 14:50
Hey Stacey, I went through that same side effect. There were maybe three nights of that, not all in a roll. I was scared. I wrapped myself in a few blankets and I waited it out. I take my meds at night. This side effect will go away.

Staceywacey87
12-12-12, 20:33
Thanx Tanya that makes me feel a bit better!

I don't have that so much now but I'm on day 6 of tablets and blood pressure still around 170/90 at times....... Does anyone know whether this medication will lower my blood pressure eventually?

I feel more panicky n stressed now than I did before taking this? Will this get better with time? X

Kayleigh100
12-12-12, 20:36
My anxiety got really bad before it started to subside. I am now in week 5 and am coping with some extremely stressful things without too much problem. I had problems sleeping too and shakes and flushes, and they have gone as well. Sleeping I tend to have improved but wake about 5 in the morning. Much better than waking hourly during the night with panic attacks.

I don't feel completely wonderful yet but considering what I am coping with I think I am very much better on the medication than not.

stormyok10
13-12-12, 08:47
Hi,
Have just started taking fluoxetine (20mg) 3 days ago & wow they kicked in straight away on day one, nausea,anxiety through the roof,shakes, & only slept for an hour last night, anyone the same?
Hope there is someone out there who is on around the same day as me so we can support each other through this terrible ordeal.
some positive feed back would be good to hear

Princess2206
14-12-12, 21:31
Hi:) I am my 5th day today and I have same side effects:/ I went to my doc and she give me diazepam for few days just to get me through the worse days. I am off work till January and all I do just know is seating on the sofa as I have no energy to do anything. I hope second week will be better. Take care and let me know how you feel.

stormyok10
15-12-12, 11:11
Hi Princess,
Have replied to you on another post so will keep looking at both till we can get into line on which one we will use. Hope you are having a better day. Am off to work now, but I also feel like you that I have no energy to do anything, normally I go to the Gym a couple of times a week, but since starting tablets have lost interest, hoping it comes back soon because the exercise is good for anxiety & depression x

Phil101
01-01-13, 12:48
Hi I'm new here. I'm now on day 6 of Fluxotine. I have suffered with anxiety for years ever since I traveled to New York on my own to meet a girl who never showed up. Since then I met someone and ended up having a crushing divorce which left me with nothing for awhile. I had been going for CBT sessions this year after I finally got my dream job, things were starting to get better especially when I met this local girl here, she was my first since the divorce but just a week before Christmas she went off with another guy and was totally cold about it. I have been totally devasted for the past 2 weeks, my Doctor put me on these last Thursday giving me a 2 weeks worth box to go back and check if I still need them next week.

Most of my problems span from just being unlucky with relationships and dealing with love sickness.

I'm feeling pretty terrible at the moment, for me its the tremors, insomia and the nausea mostly but as an unlucky IBS sufferer the nausea is the worst part, I'm quite slim and very worried about losing more weight on these. I also don't want to lose my dream job, I don't want to lose too many days.

Thank you kindly for any advice or encouragement, Phil

Tessie28
01-01-13, 12:53
Solly, no cold turkey [especially if it is left over from Christmas!]. Seriously you just have to keep going, good luck.

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Phil,
hang on in there, especially as you have a good job. Look after yourself.

kelthebrave
14-01-13, 15:17
Hey all! Yes i kept my leg, but it is not a pretty sight from the large skin grafts....will always be a constant reminder i guess....

dandelion
25-01-13, 15:34
Hi All,
I have found great comfort in reading the posts in this thread as i also wasnt warned by my doctor about side effects. Im 14 days in and feel terrible. Had crippling anxiety which lasted from the moment i woke till i fell asleep and sometimes in between. Since day 12 this has lessened significantly but left me feeling very low. I feel sick most of the time, have no appetite and am losing weight. I get acid indigestion quite a lot too and am constantly exhausted. Am determined to stick it out especially since reading this and now not feeling alone. Thankyou all for posting your experiences, its really helped.

theWriter30
31-01-13, 03:22
Hi
This pills did not helped me with my anxiety, just to let the community know. I am trying something new starting tonight...cheers

Maddis mum
01-02-13, 06:11
Hi I'm new here. I'm now on day 6 of Fluxotine. I have suffered with anxiety for years ever since I traveled to New York on my own to meet a girl who never showed up. Since then I met someone and ended up having a crushing divorce which left me with nothing for awhile. I had been going for CBT sessions this year after I finally got my dream job, things were starting to get better especially when I met this local girl here, she was my first since the divorce but just a week before Christmas she went off with another guy and was totally cold about it. I have been totally devasted for the past 2 weeks, my Doctor put me on these last Thursday giving me a 2 weeks worth box to go back and check if I still need them next week.

Most of my problems span from just being unlucky with relationships and dealing with love sickness.

I'm feeling pretty terrible at the moment, for me its the tremors, insomia and the nausea mostly but as an unlucky IBS sufferer the nausea is the worst part, I'm quite slim and very worried about losing more weight on these. I also don't want to lose my dream job, I don't want to lose too many days.

Thank you kindly for any advice or encouragement, Phil

Phil check out the thread by princess or ocean or sick and tired as there are a few of us on this journey.

kenny-w
12-02-13, 14:14
I would just like to say thank you:yahoo:up until I found this site I thought I was going off my head .When I was prescribed fluoxetine I was not made aware of the sided effects,I have only been taking 20mg for a week but the last two days have been really bad,severe anxiety,fear lost appetite it was a great help to know I am not on my own I am now able to continue taking my medication knowing there will be better times ahead.
Thank you:yesyes:

dandelion
13-02-13, 11:14
Well ive been taking 20mg now for 4 weeks and 5 days......was starting to worry these wouldnt work for me but in the past 3 days ive had what i can describe as good days. Ive enjoyed what ive been doing and have been much more sociable. Im really hoping this is the medication starting to work. My side effects have started to dwindle off now too. I still have them but they are not as severe. The main one is teeth clenching but even that isnt as bad as it was. So my message would be keep going because it can take a while to kick in.......Good luck everyone xxx

Psychocookie
20-02-13, 13:11
Hi everyone. Thanks to all of you, I am very reassured by this forum, as I've felt really crappy for weeks now, and was wondering what was going on with myself. I used to take Fluoxetine many years ago, and ever since I started it back then, I never had any side effects, and it changed my life significantly for the better, over the course of three years. Late last year, thanks to a complicated set of personal circumstances, I was started on Sertraline for anxiety and depression but the side effects were horrific, so my doctor changed me to fluoxetine, which I started taking early in January. Like the last time I took it so successfully, I wasn't expecting to get any side effects. And, for the first two to three weeks, I was fine, this time around, but since then I've felt my system kind of "revving up" to the level where I continually find myself hunched at the shoulders while watching tv or sitting at the computer, and within less than a minute of correcting myself, it happens again, so I am constantly feeling tense and "wired". I'm into my sixth or seventh week now, and I'm no better (yet???). Appetite and sleep are fine, but night sweats, day sweating and vague headaches are the other byproduct of this medication. Its nowhere near as bad as it was on the Sertraline, but I'm starting to wonder if it will ever settle down. I think, reading back through this thread, that I'm lucky not to have some of the same symptoms many of you are battling with, but after 7 weeks, I am getting a bit fed up with feeling like this. I worry less about everything else, whihc is great, so its already working to some degree, but this tension is doing my head in. I hope I don't have much longer to wait until it all settles down.:unsure:

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Also, it seems that a lot of doctors don't prepare patients for the side effects, they seem to just rely on everyone to read the leaflet that accompanies the medication and figure it out for themselves.

OncewasSupergirl
20-02-13, 13:19
Psychocookie, i had an awful time on sertraline too id never touch it again!
As for side effects...i hear what your saying you sound about the same time as me on the fluox im 7 weeks tomorrow. I still get headaches, jaw clenching, muscle twitching much less than before but they're still there. Im sure they ease with time or you just dont notice it after awhile. The muscle tension you describe could be straightforward physical anxiety tho...when im anxious i tense up, release it then notice im doing it again! I try not to focus on it too much and it eases off.
As for the box leaflet...its useless and doesnt even list all the poss side effects for example jaw clenching...my GP admitted he knew very little about AD'S personally im not sure they should be prescribing them x x

Mcpuptin
27-02-13, 22:32
Hi there everyone, this is the first time I have ever been on a forum but I felt so strongly about how I feel that I wanted to share. I have been on Prozac for 27 days now and for the first time in a month I am starting to feel "normal".
This month has been very tough for me and up until a couple of days ago, I didn't think the tablets were working.
They do appear to be and I hope I'm not speaking too soon. I'll keep you posted.

99zardoz
27-02-13, 23:38
Hi

after 6 weeks on Prozac I feel a lot better. At the beginning of January I was looking on the internet for ways to kill myself. I was consumed with worry about work and also relatively everyday problems such as whether my son would get a nursery place, my leaking garage roof etc i.e I was blowing everything out of all proportion.
I rang up NHS Direct in desparation after four nights with hardly any sleep and went to see the doctor that day. Initially prescribed Oxazepam for a week which did little except make me feel a bit drowsy, but a week later I was put on 20mg Prozac.

I had even worse sleep, hot flushes and an odd kind of tiredness and diziness combined during the day. Every day was a massive struggle and I felt as if things were going downhill. After about 10 days it started to ease off and ever since then I have gradually felt a bit better.

It has given me the strength to find other ways of managing the problem which I hope to employ when the time comes to come off it. I still get anxious sometimes but I have just tried to learn to sit with the anxiety and allow it to do its worst.

Other things I have have found which help are:

1) Reasonably strenous cardiovascular exercise. I run but I think as long as you get bit out of breath and get your heart pumping it doesnt matter what you do.
2) The Overcoming Worry CBT book by Kevin Meares and Mark Freeston. It really helps to sit down with a pen and paper and do the exercises in here. It breaks down what makes excessive worry happen and how to challenge the rules which make it work. Well worth 8 quid on Amazon.
3) Getting some sunshine - the other day it was sunny so I forced myself to take a lunch break and felt a lot better.
4) If you arent sleeping, force yourself to keep regular sleep hours even at weekends and dont stay in bed for more than 8 hours even if it feels like youve had no sleep. Lounging in bed really makes things worse for me and doesnt make your family relationships any better either.
5) This is a slow burner that needs practice but mindfulness really does make a difference over time. I have been practising this for a couple of years but was getting fed up with it and decided to give it up in December (and give myself a month off exercise). Big mistake - I think that and going back to work after Christmas is what brought the dramatic slump in my mood on.
Learning to just sit and be with whatever feelings you have is really hard and no one ever completely ticks this box, but the more you can do it, the better you feel.
I would recommend the book "Get some Headspace" by Andy Puddicombe, and also the website, which I have found very useful (although you have to pay for most of the guided meditations, but the free "Take 10" ones offer a good starting point).
The book "The Mindfulness Manifesto" is also a good one.

Anyway, stick with the Prozac for a bit if youve only been on it for a few days would be my advice. It doesnt work for everyone I shouldnt think, but my GP says most people who he puts on it show improvement after some initial side effects.

I really hope it works out everyone.......I was of the "pull yourself together" school until this started happening to me and now I fully appreciate how hard it can be.

Psychocookie
05-03-13, 15:03
Hi again. I did a really stupid thing the weekend after I posted, went away for the weekend and forgot the medication so had three days without it. Since restarting at the usual dose it seems a little better, so it may actually have been a blessing in disguise. I can't say I'm 100%, but its definitely not as uncomfortable as it was when I first posted here 2 weeks ago, and I don't think 3 days off qualifies as a restart from scratch because it should still have been in my system. I've been back on it now for ten days. I'm still very tense and breaking out into sweats from time to time, but probably only two or three times a day as opposed to the inital dozen or so. Headaches are subsiding, not as frequent, and I feel significantly more positive in my outlook on life and the future. For me this is not an overnight adjustment like some people have, where they suddenly notice a big change, virtually overnight. I feel like things are changing more gradually for me, and I'm hopeful that in another week or two the side effects I still have will have dissipated to the level where they either disappear or I can cope with them.

squeek2211
22-03-13, 19:01
Hi all,Doctor prescribed me this med today and I am scared to take it, I've taken Prozac before with no problems but what I don't want is to start taking it n come off it at a later date and my anxiety be worse than it was before I stated taking it, is that possible?
I really wanted to do this without meds

Sparkle1984
22-03-13, 19:06
Squeek, my personal view on this is that as long as you make some lifestyle changes while you're on the meds (eg by doing CBT or learning relaxation methods) then there is less risk that your anxiety will come back once you finish the meds. In that case, it's unlikely that you would end up worse than before you started.

black&white
25-03-13, 20:55
Hey all, I just registered. I was prescribed Fluoxetine today and I am planning to take my first pill tomorrow morning. I am very happy that I found this site and read that so many people are feeling better. Also good to be warned about the side effects. The weird thing is I am feeling most of the side effects you mention at the moment without taking any medications (e.g. weakness, dizziness, light-headedness, problems with sleep and anxiety, nausea)... I hope this is due to my depression and general nervousness and goes away when the pills start to have effect.I will write about my progress. Good luck to you all!

Keeping afloat
25-03-13, 23:42
Hi, I am on day eight of my third time taking fluoxetine. This is the first time I have experienced the truly awful side effects and it has hit me like a hammer. I went from feeling the depression creeping back in to being in bed all weekend feeling like I want to crawl out of my own skin in the space of three days. Sweating, rushing, heavy tingling limbs, lump in my throat, buzzing head.... the list could go on and on.
But, what I actually wanted to say was THANK YOU to everyone who has posted here, for the reassurance that this will end, that I just have to cope with it for a few weeks and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Rosablup
24-04-13, 16:28
I have been taking fluoxetine for about 3 weeks and the side effects are really terrible at times,I never used to take any sort of tablet so I think it's a bit of. A shock to the system but what I will say is that I get a decent nights sleep most of the time but still get a few panics.I keep saying that it will get better

Janine
24-04-13, 18:53
It will get better but it is a very up and down road, it takes 6-8 weeks to really take effect and some days are not so bad and then you can have some really bad days again so don't get disheartened if that happens, once it does work it is so so worth it. I was really bad for a few weeks and hit rock bottom a number of times but at five and half weeks it suddenly started to work.

xx

KeeKee
24-04-13, 19:52
I agree with Janine. It took a while for it to work for me (been on them almost 5 years now) but it did get there. I was prescribed them for Depression though not panic attacks and recently started having panic attacks (ironically) and so was prescribed Propranolol. This takes away the racing heart and 'fear' feeling and they are great.
Also I know when you hear it can take 4 - 6 weeks to kick in you may feel it is a life-time away, but I have only been suffering with panic attacks for 7 weeks and it doesn't feel nowhere near that long! I haven't had a full nights sleep yet and am worried constantly which would usually mean that the days dragged (which they do when I feel particularly worried) but the overall time has just flew by!

ladybug51
24-04-13, 19:58
Hallo all, have just started to take this med in the last 21 Days...am struggling a bit with some of the side effects. Am seeing GP again on 25/4/13 for a catch up. Thanx for all your extraordinary honesty on this site. It helps, to hear that there are others who struggle to cope too. Honestly thought I was going "Bonkers" at one stage. Will see how it goes....:unsure:

Janine
24-04-13, 20:09
I am on 160mg of slow release of propanolol as well, it was what helped me through the terrible side effects and i havie stayed on both as most of the time they work for me and I am too scared to come off either at the moment as I do not want to go back to how I was before. There is light at the end of the tunnel but it is not always easy getting there but you will and there is loads of help on here and the success stories and support were invaluable, hence why I have stayed around to help if I can.

xxx

Rosablup
25-04-13, 07:14
What a great comfort to be able to learn from everyone,it kinda makes you realise that you need to go through a time barrier before everything kicks in.I still can't seem to get an appetite until evening and yesterday I decided to walk to the shops and felt panic,vision went blurred and then when I got home started to feel better,for someone who has lead a fit and healthy life I am finding it hard to accept that I need this medication.:

Maddis mum
25-04-13, 08:33
Hi rosa, listen to Janine. She got me through the worst few months. I had terrible side effects. It's been about 4 months now and today I just got home from 10 days in Hawaii with my husband and 2 little children. If you had seen me a few months ago I couldn't even leave the house to take out the trash. Prozac workes. But it is really slow. Hang in there. You wll feel better. 3 weeks is just starting to get Into your system but won't be helping much yet.

Rosablup
25-04-13, 10:47
Thank you so much for taking the time to send a message I really appreciate it,for the first time in weeks I am feeling more myself even though I have still got the shakes during the night.I have somehow managed to put a mirror up for my wife without any panic,I also have a small appetite for food at 0900 which is good feeling,I am also beginning to learn that I am better off trying to be more mobile instead of sitting on my chair and watching tv:D

OncewasSupergirl
25-04-13, 12:01
16 weeks today for me everybody! I am sittin in my car eating lunch sun is shining n I feel calm n happy :) Haven't been able to say that for a few months, but everything is on the up :)
Kim, hope Hawaii was good, photos looked fab, message n let me know how you felt?
Rosablup, its hard for anyone to accept they need medication but that's exactly what you need to do, don't fight it, just accept this is how you are at the moment but you will recover your "old" self (or in my case, an improved self!) And take it a day at a time x x

Rosablup
25-04-13, 13:54
And that is exactly what I am going to do,just take it one day at a time,:)

Janine
25-04-13, 16:51
Super and Kim you sound so much happier and Kim I really envy your holiday, just look how far you have come.

Rosablup you are right to take it a day at a time, when you have really bad days even a minute at a time, I too had never suffered with anxiety until last September when an infection set it all off, then to start on the medication and felt even worse was so hard, your appetite will come back I really struggled with food for a few weeks and lost loads of weight. I found this forum at four and half weeks and it was literally a life saver.

Rosablup
26-04-13, 11:21
Great day yesterday and then this morning I feel so low,I might have over done it yesterday I guess,don't think I helped myself eating that chilli last night as I think the tablets don't really mix too well,it's now 11am and after some decent food I am beginning to feel better:):D
Kevin

Rosablup
29-04-13, 11:10
Really bad weekend,I can't take much more of this,upset stomach and can't think straight,vision keeps blurring and I feel really strange at times :weep:

OncewasSupergirl
29-04-13, 12:13
I remember that feeling well, how many days are you now? Do you find you feel particularly bad in the morning and as the day go's on you feel better? I don't know if you think this will help but since I started my fluox I've kept a daily diary, I list moods, thoughts, sleep, food intake, positives. It sounds like a lot but I isn't, I just jot stuff down, the biggest motivator is that every week I could see improvement. I just looked back to where you are n I'd written things like "I can't go on like this". But I did n you will x x

Rosablup
29-04-13, 13:42
I have been taking the tablets for about 3 weeks and most of the time I am feeling a lot better only I feel that I have poured pepper into my stomach and I feel nausea a few hours after eating? I also had stomach cramps yesterday and my mood changed from feeling ok to feeling bad. I have just been to see a different GP and have been prescribed Omeprazole which are gastro-resistant tablets as I was told that the fluoxetine can remove some of your stomach lining? I have also been told to just eat bland food and drink plenty of milk,so here we go I must try everything I can,I also believe that if I can get rid of this nausea I will feel more confident about everything.your absolutely right though as you can take heart that every week it seems to get better,trouble is I don't know what caused this in the first place? Thank you for your comments and support it really means a lot.xx:)

Janine
29-04-13, 19:44
My stomach was so bad I ended up ringing the out of hours doctor early one Sunday morning I was so desperate and it was before I found this forum at just over four weeks, I got someone who was so nice, he told me to dirnk lots of peppermint tea and to drink a third of a bottle of gaviscon, it really did calm down the burning and nausea, it will pass it is just another side effect, this road is very bumpy, and six weeks seems such a long way ahead but you will get there, promise you that you will feel better even though you may not feel like it at the moment.

Oh and Omperazole with help but you need to take it a few days before it really has any effect.

xxxx

Rosablup
30-04-13, 12:45
Thank you Janine,sorry to hear that you had the same as me but at least I can see that it is the tablets that cause these side effects,the Omeprazole has helped but another side effect is headaches and I really suffered last night and today as it just won't go:)xx

NotAsInTheDJ
01-05-13, 09:23
It's my first day on fluoxetine, little nerve racking after seeing some potential side effects I almost backed out but no gonna go for it, after reading how it reacts with alcohol for most people maybe I can get a healthier lifestyle out of it too, spoze can see how things go.

KeeKee
01-05-13, 10:58
Hi NotasintheDJ,

If it makes you feel better I took Fluoxetine for 5 years (almost) and the only side effects I experienced was weight gain (possibly due to the fact I am a comfort eater when down) and problems waking up in the morning. No nausea, discomfort or anything. I've now been switched to Citrolapram (sp?) and am hoping I will be as lucky!

becuille
01-05-13, 12:03
It's good to read all the posts giving us hope here. I'm on week 8 and was bumped up from 20mg to 40mg 2 weeks ago. The past two days have felt awful. My anxiety has been through the roof. Teetering on the bring of full blown attacks all day and night. It's scary. But then I try to remember that before I got my dose bumped up, I went through a few days of exactly the same thing, so this is just side effects and it will pass.
It's just so hard to ride it out, but from what I'm reading, it'll be worth it.

Rosablup
01-05-13, 12:30
You've really got to stick with it,I am in my fourth week and I can tell you that it's working but had some really bad days at the start,my main problem was a feeling that I had pepper on my stomach particularly after eating. Have now( fingers crossed) sorted this out with Omeprazole which has settled my stomach so far but just take things on a day to day basis,you cannot do anymore.
Kevin :)

becuille
01-05-13, 13:08
Thanks, Kevin, you're so right. I'm so glad I found this place because all my GP told me was that I might feel a bit anxious for the first few days. If I wasn't able to read other people going through the same thing, I think I'd have quit by now. And because the doc gave me a few Valium 8 weeks ago when I started this, she won't give me any more, which is frustrating because I've been getting prescribed Valium for 6 years now and have no history of ever abusing it.

I think it's really important for us to read all these positive stories and focus on the good times. I might be having an unpleasant time of it right now, but I've also experienced moments of real happiness and calm since I started taking Fluox. We just have to tell ourselves the good days will start to outnumber the bad very soon. They're only side effects.

Rosablup
01-05-13, 13:52
You are so right that it is only the side effects,I kept thinking that I had cancer when I felt sick and also had a brain tumour the other night when I had a migraine so your way of thinking is a lot more healthier than mine,I just don't want to be dependant on this medication but realise that you need to walk before you can run.Hope everything goes well for you:)

becuille
01-05-13, 14:13
Thank you and I hope it goes well for you too. My attitude might sound good, but trust me, I do my fair share of freaking out :D Just remember that logic is our friend. Everything we're experiencing is listed as a side effect of the meds we're on. You don't have cancer or a brain tumor, you have side effects and anxiety. And anxiety is a big fat liar. Yesterday, my legs were really shaky and my first thought was "Oh god, I'm going to be paralysed!" I spent about 10 minutes picturing my life in a wheelchair before I realised I was doing this whilst pacing up and down the living room on my perfectly working legs :doh:
I bet you anything in a few months time we'll both be posting here about our success stories and giving hope to other people going through the same thing. Hang in there, you can do it!

Rosablup
01-05-13, 15:38
Thanks,you are so positive about things which gives us all strength to beat all of this.My problems started when I felt tired all of the time and couldn't muster the strength to walk,it was really weird,when it was pointed out the I was stressed and depressed I just didn't believe it? I keep saying that it can't be serious as I am now far stronger that I was previously? Does anyone stuffer with strange dreams and feeling sick particularly after 5am? :unsure:

OncewasSupergirl
01-05-13, 17:05
Had nausea in the morning and after eating for a good few weeks after starting the fluox. As for dreams, I dream nearly every night n they are proper random lol. I'm 17 weeks tomorrow n I went back to work today, it went really well n I only felt slightly anxious at times. So I guess I'm a good advert for fluox x x

Janine
01-05-13, 20:54
It will get better guys, it is really hard some days but you will get there. at least you know that it is the fluxotiene increasing your anxiety, I did not know that until i found this forum at just over four weeks and it was such a relief to know it was normal to feel like I was.

Like Super I am a good advert.

Glad work went well Super, it is normal to feel anxious at times but it will get easier each day, and it is another huge step you have taken.

xx

becuille
02-05-13, 12:58
Thanks,you are so positive about things which gives us all strength to beat all of this.My problems started when I felt tired all of the time and couldn't muster the strength to walk,it was really weird,when it was pointed out the I was stressed and depressed I just didn't believe it? I keep saying that it can't be serious as I am now far stronger that I was previously? Does anyone stuffer with strange dreams and feeling sick particularly after 5am? :unsure:

You'd be amazed how drained anxiety can leave you. I was convinced for a while I had ME or something similar because I had days I could barely move. I've been tested for everything under the sun, even though the doc kept trying to tell me I was feeling like this because of anxiety and depression. Every single test came back negative. Living with so much adrenaline and such a busy brain can really take it out of you. It's perfectly normal that you felt like that.
Strange dreams happen all the time, and on the Fluox, they are SO vivid, like I can remember every single detail of them.

A big part of anxiety is the feeling that you're going through something really out there that nobody else can understand. But the truth is, everyone here understands and what's happening to you is a symptom of an illness, just like sneezing is a symptom of a cold.

I find yoga really helpful. It's gentle enough to do while I'm feeling like this and it really relaxes me. There are plenty of free yoga vids on Youtube.

Last night I felt really happy for about 3 hours before I went to bed. Just positive and cheery. It was awesome. I'm exhausted and flu-ey feeling today, but we know there are ups and downs. Getting those 3 hours means something is working. And reading the positive posts here is such a massive help. You are all amazing for taking the time to reassure the rest of us.

RAG
02-05-13, 13:24
I'm on day 9 .... I'm either anxious or freezing or I have an upset stomach or my jaw is tight or ALL of the above! I'm seriously thinking about coming off them! I'm getting anxiety over things that would never have bothered me before ... advice please?

Janine
02-05-13, 18:19
Rag all this is normal don't give up, I am not saying it is easy because I went through hell but it is worth it in the end. try and tell yourself that it is the drugs working on your body and just take it one step at a time, you will find that the side effects change and you will have bad days and some better days. I thought I would never feel like me again but i did and I do, it just takes a while for this drug to really get into your system and start working. My anxiety went sky high for a lot of days.

There is help on here and we will help you through if you need it.

xx

Rosablup
02-05-13, 18:27
I agree with Janine,keep going with it as it will get better as I've found out and yes you do have some bad times but most of the time it's better:)

RAG
02-05-13, 23:17
Sorry guys but I've had ENOUGH!! thats it for me, no more. I've gone from having anxiety on and off with depression on and off to a complete mind mess! I've spent the last week a nervous reck who won't leave his bedroom. I was the same after trying Citalopram. My body works much better with a holistic approach and therapy. Although I do find Beta Blockers help me.
Good bye Fluoxetine

becuille
03-05-13, 13:51
Good luck, RAG. I could tell you to try to stick it out for longer because it will get better, but you have to do what you feel is right for you. I've found CBT to be helpful in the past, so maybe you could give that a go if you haven't already. There are plenty of ways to beat this thing, it's just a case of finding the one that works for you.:)

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

Btw, sorry to double post but I just have to share a couple of small successes. The side effects have been so bad, I've not left the house in nearly a week (I'm agoraphobic anyway, so this does happen with me). But yesterday a friend came to visit and we hung out for 3 hours and I really enjoyed it. Then today, I went out for a walk. Not far, but it was huge for me. Then I spent some time with my mum and we were just talking and laughing when she burst into tears. I asked her what was wrong and she said "These are happy tears. You've been smiling and joking all morning and I feel like I'm getting my daughter back at long last". It means a lot to know the people who know you best can see positive changes.

Rosablup
03-05-13, 16:23
Absolutely brilliant news bucuille and it just goes to show that the people that are close to you really see the difference even when perhaps you feel the your not getting any further,great way to start the weekend and kick on :)

RAG
03-05-13, 16:31
Fantastic news Bucuille! I hope you are very proud of yourself, you should be :)

daisydaisy
06-05-13, 09:32
Hi Rag,

How have you found stopping fluox? I was prescribed 20mg last Thursday. It is day 5 today but I haven't taken one yet as I just feel that it's not going to work for me 2nd time around. I have felt really sick, had upset stomach,racing thoughts/vivid dreams and just feel a bit blurghh. I spent most of yesterday evening in bed as was so weak. I have hardly been eating and my stomach hurts which I think may also contribute to why I am not sleeping properly. Anxiety is also through the roof at times and constantly feeling on edge. I don't remember any of these side effects last time but I do know they took a while to kick in. (2-3 weeks at least).

I have read some self help stuff (Paul David) and looked into CBT on here and I am thinking that maybe this is the way to go this time around. I just feel it's a gamble as if I keep going they may kick in soon enough but I don't know if I want to carry on with the side effects. I haven't consulted with my doctor being a b/h but I did speak with an out of hours doctor yesterday who said after 4 days I could stop with no side effects but he did say to talk with my GP. I took a diazepam 5mg last night which meant I got about 4 hours sleep woke up and then another 2 hours sleep.

Wishing everyone well!

daisydaisy
07-05-13, 12:21
Hi sorry to post again but really worried. After having some quite intense panic yesterday I continued to take the prozac (fought against this but thought it was best) This is day 6 today. I got on with my day as well as I could yesterday and by the evening it was like some of the panic had disappeared which I thought great however I went to bed and could not sleep again and was up early. The main difference being upon waking I just feel quite numb- no waking with anxiety but still really restless. I feel like I want to stay in bed and sleep but at the same time feel like I should be up and about. I am signed off work for a few weeks and that feels like torture in some ways too as I feel like I should be doing something.

I really do not like the restless feeling its good not to have the anxiety but it also doesn't feel right- also if prozac does not kick in for a few weeks surely I wouldn't be feeling the benefits yet? I just wondered if anyone else has been through this phase? This is my second time on prozac after a 5 year break (started again after heightened anxiety brought on by health fears). I'm seriously considering stopping as I mentioned above but I just don't know what to do. I'm worried to call my doctor again as I don't want her to feel like I am bothering her. Any advice appreciated- thanks

jelly2010
07-05-13, 12:39
Daisy,

I'm on fluoxetine for the 2nd time and I'm now in week 5 of 40mg. It does sound like you are having some nasty side effects. If I'm honest I've actually found the side effects worse this time (or perhaps I just don't recall them being as bad last time!) but after a horrible weekend I am having moments of calm now for short periods so I like to think they are working.

In my second week I called the GP twice as I was so scared. Please don't be thinking you are bothering them if you need reassurance! From my experience I would say you need to keep going for a few more weeks before feeling any benefit and if you don't start feeling better then perhaps you need to look in to changing the dose or type of meds.
I know that's not particularly comforting just now - I remember saying 'I can't go on' but now you are not alone.

Please feel free to PM me anytime.
J x

OncewasSupergirl
07-05-13, 13:42
Daisy, I'm 18 weeks this week n what you're describing happened to me at the start. Hang in there, I'd say they're starting to work. I was off work also n felt exactly the same but I knew I wasn't well enough to be at work, just felt so guilty. I also wanted to sleep but felt restless it will pass, trust me. I only have jaw clenching left as a side effect which I can deal with, but I had so many at the start, they diminish after a few weeks. Hope this offers reassurance x x

daisydaisy
07-05-13, 14:01
Hi Ladies,

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement it means the world to me. I just hauled a.s out of bed, had a shower and I decided that I'm going to go and walk somewhere as I'm thinking that can't harm and may burn off some additional agitated feelings!

I called my doctor but she is out until tomorrow so will discuss it all with her then. I've made a list of how I'm feeling and that helps. I guess I just feel like I need to be occupied 24/7 whilst also wanting rest- so weird. But as I said nice not to have any actual feelings of a p/a just the panic.

I'm so stressed about returning to work in this state as my job needs focus and attention and that's not helping either I think (even though I keep telling myself it will be fine!) I'm signed off for 2 weeks but I live in the town I work in and it's difficult as I keep getting paranoid about someone seeing me etc and thinking I'm not "ill" but I'm going to drive out somewhere now for the walk with my partner as I need this.

That's the other thing my partner is really good but I read another feed and I saw that you mentioned Jelly that your husband may be a bit scared by it all- I think my partner feels the same but he knows this won't be forever its just a little blip. That's what I keep telling him anyways- got to look for the positives :)

May I ask have either of you taken fluoxetine for the 2nd time around like me?

I'll post again a bit later when I am back- and again thank you both. X

OncewasSupergirl
07-05-13, 17:21
This is my first time on fluoxetine, I've taken Sertraline (awful...wanted to die) Lofepramine, Trimipramine over the period of 12 years, none have worked aswell as the fluox for me though to be honest x x

jelly2010
07-05-13, 18:19
Hi Daisy,

Supergirl has been such a comfort to me as she is a bit further down the line of taking the med and is doing well!

Yep this is my second time taking it. I was prescribed it in oct 2010 after a trauma and came off end of 2011/start of 2012 (can't remember now!). Was re-prescribed it in Feb after my depression and anxiety returned full throttle.
As I said in my previous post - I think the side effects, particularly increased anxiety have been much worse for me this time around!

Try not to worry about your work too much (I know, easier said than done) as it's important to focus on you getting better right now. Is there a manager or someone high up that you feel comfortable confiding in as to why you are off sick? I was off for a couple of months back in 2010 and I found it was helpful to be honest with them as I got support and I wasn't worried about people speculating behind my back as long as the important people understood!

You are right to think of this as a blip - you will get through it!
J x

Janine
07-05-13, 19:35
The girls are right, you will get through it, this is my first time and I have been on it since September and went through horrific side effects for nearly six weeks, but gradually your good times out number the bad, it seems like forever getting to that point but it is so worth it. I was really restless some days and could not relax for a minute I literally was rocking on the chair for hours on end to get some sort of relieve.

Try not to worry about work, you will be able to focus when you feel better, I had never suffered with anything like this before but if anyone asked I told them what was wrong and was amazed at how many people said they had had the same at some point or were on medication.

There is lots of help and support on here and it certainly helped me through.

xxx

daisydaisy
07-05-13, 20:57
Thanks for all the advice and info. I got out and had a walk and then I sorted a few bits around the house. Just trying to eat dinner shortly as I think the lack of food and sleep isn't helping. Did anyone else struggle just to prepare food in the early days- seems like I can't even be bothered but I just seem to be able to do it on autopilot. It's so frustrating that I didn't keep a log of all this from last time around! I guess I just wanted to get past it last time and I was younger and scared.

I'm in two minds about whether I carry on with meds or not but will discuss all of this with my GP tomorrow and let you know how I get on. It's so tough to decide as I feel like I'll come through the other side but the days are agonising- almost feel like it was easier to deal with the constant anxiety and panic attacks (must be crazy!) as I knew how to calm myself to an extent. This is restlessness though which I can't always tune out of but still I keep having the calm moments too so I know I mustn't worry too much as maybe relief isn't too far away. My head just seems so foggy.

I am trying not to think about work now. If I'm not fit in a few weeks so be it I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. My mangers are ok and I feel I could speak to them about this- stress has been fairly rife amongst other staff members so I don't think it would be a total shock but we'll see nearer the time.

I am going to take another diazepam tonight as I didn't take one last night and I am hoping that this will aid sleep tonight. May try some meditation/breathing before bed too. I've been reading some self help via here and the Paul David book- I felt very inspired but I don't know how strong I would be to tough it out. I do think I need to ask my doctor about possible CBT though. I did try counselling back in 2007 when I was treated before but it was more just talking to her and I feel I am blessed with enough good friends and family that I don't know if I need to offload as such? Not sure? Xx

Janine
07-05-13, 22:16
I could not prepare food, I just could not touch it, my husband and family fended for themselves for about 6 weeks, my boys are grown up though so it was not like I had small children, I stuggled to eat most of that time too and sleep was really bad and erractic but it did get better. I have not had CBT or counselling as I have friends and family that I can talk to and it was a mixture of things that triggered it all but mainly an infection which I ended up in hospital with. xx

xx

Maddis mum
08-05-13, 00:14
Daisy listen to the others. I'm about 4 mths on Prozac. Up to 40mg now. When I first started the nervous agitated energy feeling I had was doing my head in. I couldn't sit still but I didn't have the energy you move either. It passed and I feel so much better now. Guilt is a big feeling when you don't feel we'll. give yourself a break. You need to just let yourself do whatever you feel you need right now. If you want to lay in bed then do it. If you want to go walking then do it. Your important and your health is priority right now.

daisydaisy
08-05-13, 12:31
Hi All,

Just spoken to my doctor- she seemed a bit miffed that I would even question stopping my medication but I just wanted to explore the options- she said they are common side effects and it will pass- still so hard when you are going through it though :mad:

She basically put it like if you have a chest infection you take antibiotics etc and she thinks I have anxiety/depression (I personally do not feel depressed but she said they go hand in hand).

Anyways I will continue for now (a bit with gritted teeth) and can hopefully report good things over the next few days/weeks. Just trying to get on with things the best I can now and not fight it anymore.

Didn't sleep again last night and that is really getting to me too I think. Can't even seem to drop off in the day either.....starting to feel like Groundhog Day!

jelly2010
08-05-13, 15:05
Daisy,

I know the feelings all too well! Especially the sleep - It's horrendous.
But try and hang in there! :hugs:
J x

Bond Girl
08-05-13, 17:41
Finding this forum & this thread in particular has been a life saver for me today.
I've been put back on Fluoxetine for the second time in a couple of years & I've been on it now for almost 3 weeks, 40mg a day, which I've been taking in the mornings. When I took it before in 2010/2011, I also had 40mg & didn't seem to experience any side effects at all & felt great! This time I honestly thought I was going mad!! For the past week I've been all over the place, either so tired I can barely move or really anxious, can't sit still. I have this fuzzy buzzy feeling radiating from my head into my neck, jaw & shoulders, like tension but different. I'm not sleeping, I'm agitated, I have hot flushes all the time, I can't concentrate on anything & last night lying awake I convinced myself that I had a tumour in my brain or somewhere in my body that was growing undiagnosed & I was going to die.
I went to work this morning & felt dizzy & lightheaded & ended up being sent home. I got into bed sobbing & feeling like I wanted to literally tear the back of my neck out, I felt so bad. Thankfully I googled 'fluoxetine side effects' on my iPad & found the link to this thread. You have no idea how relieved I was to read all your posts & discover that what I'm feeling is 'normal'!! I had no idea that it made people feel so bad. My GP never mentioned any side effects at all.
It's good to hear that they do subside, although I'm a little concerned about how long that might be! X

OncewasSupergirl
08-05-13, 18:10
Bond Girl, with a bit of luck you should start to see some benefits soon, stick with it x x

daisydaisy
08-05-13, 18:18
Hi Bond Girl,

It's not great is it. I have to admit I developed another quite unpleasant symptom is afternoon and my doctor called me into her office to see her in person as opposed to over the phone. I told her all my concerns and I think she could see I was visibly very agitated/shaking/not with it - I just seem to get this feeling in the evening which lasts until I go to bed- I have the moments of calm but for the last couple of evenings I have had this rising panic but which doesn't go anywhere so it's not even like I can calm down as I would when I was having panic attacks frequently last week- its indescribable and I don't like it. We agreed as I am still off for a while that I will stop fluoxetine for now and review my progress next week and go from there. I wish I could just tough it out but I feel second time around for me it's not right. I know this is a positive thread and I have nothing but positives for prozac- my first time around was fantastic when it kicked in but I think for now I need to stop as I couldn't bear this to carry on much longer. I also cannot remember when I last slept properly- diazepam doesn't help either.

My anxiety started out this time after going off sick with pain they were not able to diagnose but as mentioned above it seems like this is being taken a lot more seriously now so perhaps this will help my anxiety levels also. Keep in touch and feel free to PM if you ever need a chat or some support. Also as everyone has said to me above don't be afraid to talk with your GP if you have any concerns. Xx

Bond Girl
08-05-13, 20:39
Thank you so much for replying. As you say, this is a positive thread & I was genuinely pleased when my GP said she was putting me back on Fluoxetine. I had them before & felt on top of the world; not a single side effect, just strong & able to face everything. It sounds like a cliche but to me they were miracle pills, the pills of great happiness!!
I was still working when I started taking the pills, but within days I became lethargic, tired, agitated & feeling dreadful, so I took 2 weeks off work to try & chill out & have some 'me time'. All seemed okay, I had a great bank holiday weekend with friends & hubby & despite feeling under the weather I was determined to go back to work. So yesterday I went back. It was hell & I felt like I was going to pass out the whole time. I came home early & laid in the garden in the sun. By last night I was able to eat a small dinner, but was asleep by 9pm. I tossed & turned all night & today I felt so bad, I went to work but came home after 2 hours. I spent the whole day in bed, I managed to sleep on & off, but I've had this freaky fuzzy head & it's making me feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm going to try & take just one fluoxetine tomorrow & take it later in the day instead of first thing in the morning. I'm not going to work. I'm going to try & get to see the doctor instead. I'm trying to be positive, but when you feel so bad it's tough.

daisydaisy
08-05-13, 20:56
I know what you mean Bond Girl I didn't have any side effects the first time around like you I felt great when they kicked in and they gave me 2 years of no panic etc what so ever and no side effects when I came off them- I've been anxiety free for at least 5 years and I genuinely though that was that! I wish I had the answer to what causes these blips!

Bond Girl
08-05-13, 21:43
Me too, I'm finding it really unnerving. :weep:

On a plus point, 16 hours after taking 40mg of fluoxetine, I feel great tonight! Wide awake & the buzzy head has gone. Great timing body, just awesome. Stupid body! :wacko:

daisydaisy
09-05-13, 01:53
I can't sleep again :weep: everything seems to be buzzing around in my head. Did anyone else not sleep for days?? I don't think I've slept for about 7 days- I literally have woken every hour and just tossed and turned. I've maybe had one night where I got 4 then 2 hours sleep interspersed with panic. Was there a turning point for anyone when they started to sleep again?

I've come back here just to read through some posts as the moment I seemed to relax earlier and accept what I was going to do where the meds were concerned I felt better and not so wound with the horrible feeling when I was at the doctors (the feeling I don't like). I ate dinner and went to bed thinking I would sleep but low and behold here I am. I keep thinking now what if- what if I could hold out and get a lot better- arghh so confused as two doctors today gave me different opinions (over the phone/in person)?! I know I must seem like a nut job- I really am not I promise- I just want to do the right thing but I'm scared. I really wish that someone could say it would be ok but I guess I just need to accept it myself but I am really scared- the thoughts of another 3 weeks like this makes me worried as i know I have to be ok for work :unsure: I guess the crux is that I don't want to go through all this again in say 2/3 weeks time with another med as I think this experience would have scared me too much.

The other part I'm not enjoying right now is not being able to be my social self and putting on a show really for friends/family who I don't want to open up to about my health. I feel so awful for lying but I hate the added stress of all the "how are you feeling" (insert their worried face when you say the same) I go very insular and apart from my partner and mum I don't want to talk to anyone else but I guess their worlds don't stop turning just because ours have :wacko:

I would like to speak to someone on here re the other issue I spoke to my doctor about earlier as I think this is all part of it too, even though it had started before my anx/panic kicked it I think it was a catalyst- ladies maybe I can PM one of you just out of interest to see if you went through anything similar- it might put my mind at rest.

Ok we'll I guess I best go try and sleep again- I'm sorry to those of you that I may have driven mad with all my questioning I just felt I needed to get this out there and perhaps it will help someone else who is struggling too. I really do appreciate all the support. Xxx

---------- Post added at 01:53 ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 ----------

Bond Girl- just saw what you put above- me too! It's like every time I say that's enough my body goes da dah here's a glimmer of hope! I'm glad you have felt some relief those moments keep you going! :yesyes:

jelly2010
09-05-13, 11:02
Daisy,
I'm happy for you to PM me anytime.

I'm in week 5 of taking 40mg fluoxetine and I am starting to feel the benefits.
I was exactly like you in the early stages - couldn't sleep, felt anxious all the time, couldn't eat, dark thoughts etc and it was horrible.

I called my doctor's surgery in a panic and spoke to the duty doc who suggested maybe switching to a different medication but when I managed to speak to my usual doc a few days later I expressed my worry that I would be starting back at square 1 and would really like to keep going with the fluoxetine. I can say from my personal experience I am glad that I kept going but I know how difficult the first few weeks are!

Please PM me if you like. :hugs:
J x

Whiskey
09-05-13, 11:17
Hello All, im new here. Nearly completed 3 weeks of fluoxetine, first two weeks were a daze, shakey, muscles like lead, palpitations and dizziness. I have not been in work. I have found week 3 to be the worst so far, spent two days crying and panicking which freaked me right out as there was no relief at all, constantly moving my limbs for some relief. Im having mood swings throughout the day going from absolute fear to calm. Been getting out everyday except for the last 4 days as ive been too upset, however did go out yesterday which was fine, I want to practise going shopping without having a panic dumping all my stuff and leaving!! Its so interesting and comforting to read everyones posts on this thread. I feel really positive that this will pass and things will become more normal. Im on day 20 so hopefully it will be soon. Wishing you all a safe journey towards good health and happiness, thankyou so much for this site.

Janine
09-05-13, 19:34
Daisy, Jelly and Whiskey, I could have written your threads when I was at the same point, the first few weeks are horrific and I had all the things you have and thought they were never going to end, finding this site at four weeks and realising that it was not me and that it was normal to feel like I was, some days I did not want to speak to anyone apart from my family and sleep and eating was very difficult. Six to eight weeks seemed so far away and every day seemed forever but you will get there and you will be normal again.

xxx

jelly2010
09-05-13, 20:01
Daisy, Jelly and Whiskey, I could have written your threads when I was at the same point, the first few weeks are horrific and I had all the things you have and thought they were never going to end, finding this site at four weeks and realising that it was not me and that it was normal to feel like I was, some days I did not want to speak to anyone apart from my family and sleep and eating was very difficult. Six to eight weeks seemed so far away and every day seemed forever but you will get there and you will be normal again.

xxx

Thanks so much for sharing Janine! I completely agree. I'm at the end of week 5 and although I'm still having anxious mornings and a couple of bad moments later in the day I feel so much better than week 2/3 where I felt horrendous. I don't think I could have got to this point without the support of everyone on this site.
How long have you been taking fluoxetine now if you don't mind me asking?

To everyone else - you can get through this :hugs:
J x

OncewasSupergirl
09-05-13, 20:36
Jelly,

You read any of that book yet? X x

jelly2010
09-05-13, 20:45
Hi Supergirl,
Yes I started it last night - finding it good so far. Thanks so much for the recommendation! How are you doing? Work going ok?
J x

OncewasSupergirl
09-05-13, 21:12
Good, hope the book helps it did me :)
Work is fine, am feeling tired but expected that after 4 months off plus the other stresses I have. Feel a bit anxious in the evening but think its cos I feel so good now I don't want to lose it again :/ x x
How are you feeling now? Xx

jelly2010
09-05-13, 22:02
I can sympathise with that feeling! I actually said to my friend today (because I've been feeling 'good' most of the day) that I was scared to slip backwards. She is very pragmatic and said 'well if you do, you know you CAN come through it!'
You are doing fantastically well!
J xx

Janine
09-05-13, 22:32
Jelly, don't mind you asking, I have been on it since September, you are about where I was when I started to feel better, it was just under 6 weeks, for a while you do not believe that you are feeling better and that it is not all going to come back again but apart from a few little blips I have been fine most of the time and your friend is right if you slip backwards a little you will come through it.

Super glad work going well, you are still bound to feel anxious, i have had a couple of little anxiety attacks just as I have been going off to sleep over the last 10 days, but I have dealt with them and have been fine during the day. I think i have just been working too hard.

XX

jelly2010
09-05-13, 22:38
Thanks Janine - that is really comforting!
Glad you are doing well.
J x

daisydaisy
10-05-13, 20:21
Hi All,

Hello to Janine and Whiskey too- thank you for your words Janine it's a comfort (albeit cold as I wish non of us suffered) to know other people are going through the same. It's so tough but it's just finding that little bit of strength from within and trying- I have been really tested the last 48hrs but I seemed to sleep a little better last night and I have had a good PM which is a welcome change- want this to last but I guess gotta take it day by day. Day 9 for me.

I've been saying a lot of positive affirmations to myself today and weirdly I got the urge to listen to some really loud music (music is one of my loves when I am feeling good) so I went with it- real singing at top of lungs too and it felt good- maybe I have released some left over adrenalin!

Can I just again say thank you so much for all you lovely people- you will never know how much your lovely words and support are helping me. I wish you all a good weekend and will check in over the weekend as much as I can. Xx

Janine
10-05-13, 21:52
Just take it a day at a time or even an hour or minute at a time depending on what sort of time you are having, that was what I did when I was really bad. You will find that the way you are feeling can change during the day but don't beat yourself up when you are feeling lousy it will get better, it is easy for me to say now but I do remember how bad i felt day after day.

xxxx

daisydaisy
11-05-13, 20:45
How is everyone doing today? X

Bond Girl
12-05-13, 10:41
I'm having a couple of good days I think. Although I have reduced my dosage from 40mg a day to just 20mg. The doc put my dose up because a week into the 20mg, I had a major panic attack & she thought that the higher dose would help. In hindsight I think it was possibly the fluoxetine causing the panic attack & I've been feeling horrendous on the 40mg - to the point where I was too afraid to take them. So I'm taking one 20mg a day to keep me ticking over & I will talk to my GP tomorrow.
I think that the pills ARE working though. I'm still not sleeping well but I've found that 'Manor Grove Depression Blend' aromatherapy oil on my pillow at night really helps to settle me back down if I wake up feeling agitated (for it from Tesco!)
I'm waking up each day & actually DOING things which is a huge improvement, rather than just lazing on the sofa with my fluffy blanket wishing I had the motivation to do things & barely being able to move.
For anyone still struggling with the fluox - stick with it. It still makes me head feel fuzzy & gives me the jitters here & there, but there is light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. Plus for those of you who also have a tendency to over-analyse every tiny ache & pain & twinge & convince yourself there is something else terribly wrong, the fluox seems to be helping me with this area too - I am now able to rationalise that my head feels squiffy because of the pills rather than an diagnosed brain tumour or something else horrendous.
Stay positive people - we're all slowly coming through the other side of the black clouds x x x

beautylover
14-05-13, 22:18
Hi guys, writing on behalf of my girlfriend of 6 months cause she feels too 'ergh' to think straight.

She's been on fluoxetine for two weeks now for moderate depression and anxiety which we initially thought was due to the implant but after continuing after removal, we saw a doctor and got the meds.

The first week and a half so was good. The daily crying stopped and some smiles and laughs was possible. Now however the side effects have kicked in and she's feeling really down. She's worried that she'll have to be on meds forever and they'll make her feel emotionally numb and empty, specifically towards me. As someone who is mentally sound, I can think straight and advise her like you lovely people on here that the side effects will wear off if given time. The reason she worries they won't is exactly the reason she's on them in the first place of course.

She wants to know if the feeling of numbness wears off? I've read positive and negative stories about this and whilst the majority are positive, the negative ones stand out as they do when looking at hotel or restaurant reviews. 9 good reviews and 1 bad review can put a person off in an instant sort of thing.

Reading all 16 pages of this had filled me with confidence and it's great to read so many people having positive experiences.

Thanks for reading. All the best x

OncewasSupergirl
14-05-13, 22:22
Nashbag, you are a sweetheart, she is lucky to have you :) x

Janine
14-05-13, 22:31
Yes she is very lucky, just reassure her that it is tough for a few weeks but there is light at the end of the tunnel, it is not an easy road but worth it in the end, it is just being patient and looking after yourself.

There is a lot more success stories on here and if she felt able to it would make her feel better if she came on and had a good look even if she does not post as it really helped me when I was feeling so so bad.

beautylover
15-05-13, 12:59
Hi everyone!
It's the other half of nashbag, the girlfriend :)
I agree with you all, I'm the luckiest girl to have such a caring boyfriend which is why I'm so scared for the meds to mess with my head!
I've read this thread throughout at the beginning of the course of fluoxetine and felt very optimistic by it. Unfortunately, I've found a fair few bad experiences, also reading about SSRI's affecting the persons ability to love which has scared me. Reading all of this kicks my anxiety into habit so I then start doubting myself and everything around me which sucks!

Last night was pretty bad for me, had a bit of a wobbly evening which also resulted in me finally drifting off to sleep at 5am, will this stop? During my depression my sleep hasn't been completely affected, some nights would be a little harder to sleep and I'd wake up earlier than I usually would.
Thank you so much for replying so quickly, it's so nice to find people that are in the same boat as I find it hard to talk to people that aren't.

Sam x

Janine
15-05-13, 19:33
Sam, just take it a day at a time, obviously everyone is different and this drug is not going to work for everyone, however it is worth persevering and giving it a chance for the sake of a few weeks and for those of us for whom it has worked all I can say is that when it does kick in you will back to your normal self and all that you have been through will be worth it, my husband was so supportive and helped me through the rough times and it sounds like you have good support, try not to worry, sleep and eating were bad for me but gradually sorts itself out.

xx

jelly2010
15-05-13, 19:40
Hi Sam,

I'm on week 6 of taking fluoxetine for the second time and I completely sympathise about the hellish side effects. Unfortunately it seems to be the 'norm' that you feel so much worse before feeling better. Try and stick it out a bit longer.
My sleep became very messed up when I started fluoxetine but it will sort it self out. If you are struggling it might be worth trying some sleeping aids.

I really don't think you should be worried about your ability to love - you obviously have a very loving boyfriend who will support you through this and I truly don't believe that to be a side effect of SSRI's.

And in terms of being scared to be dependent on meds, it absolutely is possible to come off them eventually but I think it's important not to rush these things. My sister suffered with depression for a very long time and has been off her meds for a number of years now and is doing great!

I'm sure you will be able to get lots of help and comfort from this site!
Be strong,
J x

beautylover
15-05-13, 23:38
Hi guys, boyfriend here again! The actual Nashbag is feeling a bit too rundown to give a little update.

Just wanted to say thank you to the replies so far. Really helps both of us get through the difficult times and get some positivity going. I'm optimistic!

Alex x

Whiskey
16-05-13, 13:44
Hey
Its day 27 for me, I have had up and downs but it is starting to even out. I was given fluoxetine as I was suffering panic attacks and anxiety, I stopped driving, going into shops, avoiding social situations and even last week refused to go on a holiday that my boyfriend booked as a surprise to help me chill out. Thankfully he was extremely understanding of my need to be home and sort myself out! Anyway, this week ive started driving again, although not completely comfortable, im doing it. Im shopping in morrisons and going out for daily walks. I am seeing friends and starting to think I should go back to work in a few weeks. Its been slow and im not the most patient of people, im still not completely right but I know im getting better so that keeps me going.
Goodluck Nashbag and keep the faith xx

Bond Girl
16-05-13, 16:18
I'm definitely feeling brighter. My sarcasm is returning & I'm starting to get a bit gobby so something is defo working! Lol!!

I'm on the fluox for depression more than anxiety & panic & can honestly say I've felt proper agitated since I've been taking it. I wonder if it perhaps takes longer to adjust to it if you are already feeling panicky & stressed out because in my experience it makes those symptoms worse before it makes them better.

Don't be too hard on yourselves people!! Take each day at a time, take time out if you need to & be kind to yourself. Life can be pants sometimes & we all need a little TLC. Sometimes we all just expect too much of ourselves. Take the time to get well & feel better & don't beat yourselves up over it if it takes a while. The human body & human psyche are complex machines, there are no quick fixes....

Xxxx

beautylover
27-05-13, 20:55
Hi all!
Hope everyone is doing well!

I think I'm feeling better from the last time I posted. At times I feel pretty brain dead, does anyone else get that?
Also, at most times I think I'm fine but very emotionless, almost robotic like. Does anyone else have that too?
I've also realised I've been thinking about bad things to see if I have any feeling towards it, and I don't. Its very strange. Although I feel I'm emotionless, I still have moments where I cry, like an overwhemled cry.
Right now I feel quite lost. Not as bad as I have done in the past, but I still always have a niggling feeling that I'm not quite right yet. Also, I've noticed my paranoia has come back pretty bad, and my dreams are still very vivid and upsetting. I feel although I don't mind being alone now, that I need to be with someone (my boyfriend) and I'm scared that I'll hassle him too much and he'll get bored :(
I've been on fluoxetine for almost a month now, will be calling the doctors in the morning for a follow up appointment. Not sure what to say to her, does anyone have any suggestions?

Again, hope you're all well! :)

Sam

Janine
27-05-13, 22:18
Sam, you are doing well and you have go through most of the rough times, I hit a really bad patch at 4 weeks to about 5 and a half and I did hit rock bottom, it was like it did that and then suddenly I started to feel better, tell yourself all these things that are happening is the medication working, you are nearly there and just need to get through the next couple of weeks and you will feel so much better I am sure.

I hated it when my husband went off to work and would sit and cry as I felt so alone, but it is all normal and it will pass. I am sure he will not get fed up with you as he sounds like he is really supporting you.

You are getting there just persevere for a little longer, it is worth it.

xxx

AnxietyGirl87
05-06-13, 00:27
I am so glad that I have read your post! I started taking Fluoxetine recently and I definitely felt worse to begin with, I started on 20mg then a few weeks later went up to 40mg as the doctor told me to, but after what felt like the worst 3 weeks ever, I have decided to go back down to 20mg! I have made an appointment with my doctor as I don't like how anxious I feel still on these tablets but reading these posts has helped me so much already that I think I am going to stick it out and hope that I will start feeling better soon x

MastiffMan
12-06-13, 14:43
I had been taking fluoxetine for nearly 12 years. This past year I lost a significant amount of weight through exercise and diet change and went off nearly all my medications. The last was fluoxetine and I went through a taper and eventually stopped. That was back in March. In May I noticed the signs of the return of depression but kept putting off doing anything and then about two weeks ago crashed. I went back on fluoxetine at 40 mg and was slammed with side effects. Most notably my skin was hot, anxiety, head aches, cold symptoms, dreams, insomnia and fatigue. Last night was my first good nights sleep since the process began. Hopefully the side effects are starting to abate. I just found this site yesterday and it is a great relief. Thanks for all your comments and the support they provide.

AnxietyGirl87
13-06-13, 12:55
After spending 2 months on fluoxetine, I went back to my GP yesterday as I was still having side effects.

My GP put me back on Citalopram - She said that obviously fluoxetine doesn't work for everyone and I guess my body just didn't like it!

I know people that do take Fluoxetine though and they are very happy with it.

Ivanshome
20-06-13, 08:13
I have been on flluxetine for 3-4 weeks, apart from other effects i find the i am sweating first thing in the morning, anybody else have this problem

MastiffMan
20-06-13, 18:40
I am going on day 19. I sweat while I am sleeping and at times actually feel like I am having an anxiety attack. I am having days where i feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and then the next day it seems that I take a step backward. The anxiety can be bothersome and I was given clonazepam for it which seems to help, when I take it. Also taking buspar longterm. Not as much insomnia now as fitful sleep. Dreams do not seem to be as bad. Hopefully these are signs the drug is beginning to work. Appreciate any comments for others who might have experienced similar effects. Thanks.

staffi
22-06-13, 00:34
Hi just to put your mind at ease I to suffered night sweats In the first month and insomnia the night sweats have now seemed to pass .. But the insomnia is a lot better just occasionally nights nights now very frustrating at times ... :)

Namderg
23-06-13, 00:19
Hi I'm going into day 10 of taking 20mg per day. Feeling tired, anxious, can't sleep, dry mouth, scared, spacey. Help,please. I've taken it 3 times before but don't remember these side effects. Desperately want to feel well. Have worsened tinnitus which is making me panicky and a vicious circle.

Lexy
23-06-13, 09:25
Hi I'm going into day 10 of taking 20mg per day. Feeling tired, anxious, can't sleep, dry mouth, scared, spacey. Help,please. I've taken it 3 times before but don't remember these side effects. Desperately want to feel well. Have worsened tinnitus which is making me panicky and a vicious circle.

Hi Namderg
Am sorry to hear you're having a rough time of this too. You're a few days ahead of me - I'm on day 4, 20mg/day. I found this website last night after experiencing the worst panic attack which came out of nowhere. I was actually watching a comedy on tv and next minute it just came on. I thought I was having a heart attack and almost rang for an ambulance. Before that I thought I was having a pretty good day re: SEs. Like you I have dry mouth, my tinnitus has also worsened and I feel spacey/weird and at times I get quite anxious. Sleep hasn't been too much of a problem. Today I was (and still am) freaking out about a recurrence of last night. After reading many posts on here I made sure I ate small meals frequently, even if I didn't feel like it. I'm hanging in there, am going to try and ride it out, but that's mainly after reading all of the great posts. I hope my symptoms give you some reassurance - you're not alone in this!

Namderg
23-06-13, 09:32
Thank you Lexy. I am ok ish this morning and determined to keep going, knowing how good Prozac will be in a few weeks. I hope you are ok too. It's all ups and downs at the moment until we get more of the ups...:)

Lexy
23-06-13, 09:38
That's great to hear Namderg! Yes, I'm with you, just gritting my teeth and forging ahead. So far so good today, the panic attack hit me almost 24hrs ago and am trying not to think about it. Did you get some decent sleep last night? I really hope the rest of your day goes well :D

Whiskey
23-06-13, 20:59
Im on day 70 of 20mg prozac daily, I had sweats, shakes, heightened anxiety, depression, dry mouth, constant yawning and feeling spaced (for first 2 wks) from week 3 to 5, since then I have settled. Now on week 10 everything is going really well, brilliant infact. Stick at it and keeep the faith xxx

breeze13
23-06-13, 21:44
hello to all on this thread. I have recently increased prozac 20mgs to 40mgs. (5 days ago) just feel very tired, headache,hot. how long do the increase generally take to have an impact? would really appreciate an answer as I am struggling to keep things going.

MastiffMan
23-06-13, 22:31
I am on day 21. I had two good days on Friday and Saturday in the late afternoon and into the evening. This morning was good but then it seemed to just deteriorate with more depression and anxiety. I am truly grateful for this forum, it is a God send. I have never gone through anything like this before. Someday's I feel like the medicine is starting to work and then I have a day where all seems bleak. Overall the side effects have dissipated somewhat but when I am in the middle of it it just seems the darkness will not lift. I am still left with that feeling of just not being able to relax. Sleeping is not as hard as it was. When I wake up in the middle of the night I am able to be still and quiet until I fall asleep again. Working at staying in the moment and trying to keep my mind occupied with reading or videos. Thanks to all. I would not be surprised to see a resurgence of side effects if my dose was raised.

Namderg
23-06-13, 22:47
Elph02 I totally relate to what you say about the darkness not lifting when you're in the middle of a bad phase. I feel like I can almost see a dark grey cloud hovering over me. Had a better afternoon and evening today with some real positive feelings coming back which was amazing. When I took Prozac 3 years ago it took 6 weeks to start feeling the benefit but when it worked it was so good. Hoping it won't take so long this time... This forum is brilliant and so reassuring. Thank you to everyone.

Lexy
24-06-13, 10:05
Now on week 10 everything is going really well, brilliant infact. Stick at it and keeep the faith xxx

Thank you for your post Whiskey, it’s really reassuring to know there’s light at the end of the tunnel. :)
I spoke to soon in yesterday’s post saying my sleep was ok – last night I woke up multiple times, tossed and turned and started sweating. Woke feeling quite groggy. Then I started to feel worse and was having a bout of negative thinking, feeling like I was a loser, thinking everyone must think that of me when something just told me to turn it around and think about it differently. It was as though I had space to stop the thoughts. After that I was able to get out of the house, walk down and see my horse who I haven’t seen for weeks (my ex feeds and rugs him every day) and I felt so much better, I got to really enjoy time with him, it’s difficult to explain. Now I’m worried that given I’m only on day 5 that it’s too soon to be experiencing little glimmers of hope. I’m still feeling spacey, dry mouth and a bit disconnected/weird, that’s still there but this was like a break in the weather and I can’t believe the meds could have produced this effect so soon. Any thoughts?

Tufty
24-06-13, 10:46
Hello everyone,

I was on Prozac for many years, restarted them after a short break, took the dose too low and they stopped working and have spent the last 9 months trying various drugs - it's a very long story.....

Of all the drugs I have tried Prozac gave me the worst start up side effects in the way of increased panic which was relentless and terrifying BUT it did give me hours of feeling normal very early on - something I haven't got with any of the other meds. With hindsight I can see it was an indication that Prozac was the right drug for me, the small glimmers of hope kept me going through the horrible see-saw emotions of the first weeks. Prozac is supposed to be the slowest working SSRI but I think if it can give you side effects quickly, surely it can have some positive effects too :)

My experiences so far with other antidepressants has not been good and I am hoping to return to Prozac (I see my GP tomorrow) as although it is not 'perfect' or a miracle pill it certainly enable me to lead a normal life, albeit a little sweaty! I will hopefully be able to join your posts and in 6 weeks time will be feeling back to me

Take care
Sam

Lexy
24-06-13, 11:39
Thanks so much Sam. What you wrote makes perfect sense!

I've read so many posts of people having their dose increased and others saying that the worse the SEs the better it works and so I put it all together and thought, oh dear, maybe I need to take more but that's not at all appealing! After reading your post I'm not worrying about that anymore, just grateful to have experienced the 'glimmer'.

I hope your appointment with your GP goes well tomorrow. We'll look forward to you joining us. All the best and thanks again. :)

Namderg
25-06-13, 18:29
Interesting - it was my birthday yesterday and a friend came over and we went out with my little girl - we had a lovely day and by evening I was happy and had forgotten about my tinnitus. Today on the other hand has been a cloudy day, very aware of my tinnitus and my brain feeling like fog. I keep analysing all my feelings and health worries and it makes me a bit paranoid - not helped by the fact that I had to have an anaesthetic and steroid injected into my hand this morning which I wasn't expecting - that sent me into a panic. Like everyone says though - the little glimmers keep you taking the Prozac and keep the hope going that eventually we will be back to our old selves and content with life once more........ Oh and I did some gardening and stung my other hand all over with nettles about 3 hours ago and it is now prickling all over my fingers and has sent me into a nervy state. Oh dear!

MastiffMan
26-06-13, 16:05
Checking in on day 24. Sunday was a challenge and then I noticed Monday afternoon my mood lifted significantly and the side effects along with the anxiety and depression subsided. The next morning I woke up feeling well but a few hours after taking fluoxetine started zoning out with a return of the depression and the anxiety. Tuesday was a repeat. Insomnia is still present, not as much, but still a bother. I usually take a Benadryl which helps get me to sleep. Wake up abut 3AM or 4AM which is when I have started to take the Fluoxetine for the day. Hanging in there. Nice when the symptoms, anxiety, and depression let up. Still focused on the light at the end of the tunnel. Trying to be more patient and take it a day at a time. Hope others are doing well. You all are in my thoughts throughout the day. Thanks for posting and the support.

Lexy
27-06-13, 07:00
Happy Birthday to you Namderg (albeit a tad late)! What better present than having a wonderful day. I don't think I would have coped with having injections, pain etc right now, what an achievement.

Elph02 - it's good to hear you're also having some positive experiences. I was told the very same thing today, 'to take it one day at a time'. I'm only on day 8 and have experienced a couple of moments when my mind is free from anxiety and negative voices and it's been bliss. But am still feeling quite weird and am anxious about more symptoms to come. I also still feel like - I really hate this expression but can't think of anything else - a loser. Sometimes I'm really uncomfortable in my own skin.
I hope your insomnia improves, decent sleep makes all the difference, we need it!

Lexy
29-06-13, 05:23
It's day 10 for me and today I've been fighting some really negative thoughts and feel quite down. Sleep is ok, though I had insomnia the other night and couldn't switch my mind off. I really detest the dark thoughts, those that say everyone is against me and think I'm worthless. I've been taking a lot of comfort from Ruby Wax's book, 'Sane New World', in fact her book has helped immensely. I'm convinced that the meds along with tools like mindfulness and/or CBT (whatever works for you) is key.
No more panic attacks since that last one a week ago. I have felt them start but somehow manage to keep a lid on them so am not panicking anymore about one coming out of the blue. Today has been the 'downest' day in some time.
I hope you're all doing well, sending you warm thoughts - hang in there:)

Tufty
29-06-13, 11:47
I've heard lots of good reviews about Ruby's book, I will try to download it or get a copy from the library.

It's good that you can see the dark thoughts as just that - thoughts. They are not real, accept that you are having these thoughts but not they are not realistic and it's because your brain chemistry is out of tune, then ignore them and carry on as normal if possible.

In my experience it is normal to have some down days in the first few weeks of Fluoxetine. I am just about hanging on in there, it would be easier to give up at this point but I know if I can make it to 4 weeks I will be over the worst.

I've had an increase in panic, which maybe because I have stopped Mirtazapine and started Prozac in the space of a few days. Well done for keeping a lid on your feelings of panic, it sounds like Prozac is starting to work it's magic on you x

Take care
Sam

Namderg
29-06-13, 13:09
My own worst enemy today! Bad night last night tossing and turning, not helped by a snoring husband! Didn't eat enough yesterday and woke up very light headed and consequently feeling panicky. Tinnitus bad and feeling shattered.

Thank you for the birthday wishes Lexy. You are definitely not worthless and you have shown yourself this already by getting treatment. Keep going. We're going out this afternoon to our little girl's new school for a treasure trail so hoping that will stop my negative feelings. And looking forward to getting a good night's sleep tonight.....

:):):):):):) smiles for everyone.

MastiffMan
29-06-13, 17:26
Day 27 - Wanted to check in on my progress. Tuesday and the first part of Wednesday this week seemed exceptionally tough. Felt that I was going backward and almost felt as if I should consider trying an alternative medication. Thursday was not as bad and late afternoon I was able to fit in aerobic exercise. It made a significant difference in the evening and I was able to sit through a rather contentious public meeting for five hours without too much difficulty. Went home and was feeling as if I was moving to normalcy. Woke up with a little more stress and depression in the morning and had another meeting to attend. On the way to the meeting both the anxiety and depression lifted significantly. Did some shopping afterward, went home, and then exercised again. Worked in the evening and the anxiety and depression still were abated. Seems to be an improvement overall which i am very grateful for. Hopefully the medication is starting to kick in. At times the black / gray cloud seems to have lifted and then at times drifts back in. This is a challenging ordeal. I have had a lot of support from my wife, family, and friends. I have worked at remembering what I am grateful for in life, even when I do not feel that way, and I have also relied on Proverbs 3:5-6. While exercising I maintain an ongoing dialogue with my higher power and this seems to help as well. I ask for the intervention of the holy spirit and pray for moments of peace for at least some momentary relief and to help me through this challenge. Still taking it one day at a time. Overall it is better but I am not feeling overconfident i.e. out of the woods yet. Thank you all for being here. In dark moments I have come back and reread the comments on this thread over and over. It has helped me endure those times when it seems the side effects will never end. I hope my comments can be of some relief to others. Peace to all.

Speranza
29-06-13, 18:15
Hi, I've decided not to read the whole thread yet so I don't feed my imagination! I'm on Day 10 and so far, so good. The most noticeable SE has been a weird headache which comes on and disappears very suddenly, feels like I've had a blow to the head. I was very tired my first few days but I have been pleasantly surprised to have some good nights' sleep AND wake refreshed. I've always had vivid dreams every night, so that isn't as noticeable, although they are more bizarre at the moment.

Of course, I'm now a little anxious about whether worse SEs are going to kick in... and when. :unsure:

Namderg
30-06-13, 18:31
The trouble with side effects on Prozac is you feel like they are never going to go away - but in my past experience they always do. Today has been a day under my grey cloud and my ears full of tinnitus. I didn't sleep well last night and this always has a knock on effect. Looking forward to my next glimmer of "lightness" and will appreciate it sooooooo much. When I took Prozac 3 years ago it took a full 6 weeks before it started working but it did work brilliantly so I keep telling myself I'm only on day 17 today and things will be better soon...

Hope everyone is coping today. Sending well wishes........:)

Speranza
30-06-13, 18:35
I had a horrible headache this morning when I woke, but it went. And I already have tinnitus so that won't be too bad if it happens...

Lexy
01-07-13, 12:33
Namderg, thank you so much for what you wrote a few days ago about me not being worthless, it was like getting a huge hug just when I needed it most. I hope your sleep has improved, am sure your next ‘glimmer’ is just around the corner. Btw – my tinnitus has been going up and down, one night it was so bad I just couldn’t get to sleep, so understand what you’re going through.

A special thanks to you too Sam. I was wondering where you had got to after your post letting us know you were starting back soon. Welcome back! It’s very reassuring to have your experience and wisdom to draw on. How are you doing? Has the panic settled down?
Day 12 began after a few hours sleep, I couldn’t think straight, felt a bit dopey. I’d had an upsetting night which triggered some minor bouts of anxiety and my mind began ruminating on it all first thing. But then, I don’t really know how, perhaps that’s ‘the Prozac working its magic’ as you said Sam :)– I was able to slow the thoughts and choose not to internalise what had happened. A voice in my head just said ‘NO’ and after that the day turned around and I was able to go for a walk, read, listened to music and even had a play on the piano. I can’t give Prozac all of the credit, being able to meet you all online and having this site to turn to provides so much strength and encouragement.
Does anyone else feel mentally slow and/or dopey?? I put another post on the ‘symptoms’ thread as I’m really worried I have early (premature) signs of dementia.
Hugs x

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

Of course, I'm now a little anxious about whether worse SEs are going to kick in... and when. :unsure:

Hi Speranza - I think we are both around about the same day. I also get a bit anxious about possible worsening of SEs, or those yet to come, although I noticed that I was much more anxious about this days ago, it seems to be evening out now (oh dear, touch wood!! don't want to jinx myself:smile:)

Namderg
02-07-13, 00:31
I'm getting worse. More tired, less sleep, more paranoid, worse ringing in my ears and head making me more panicky. Can't get to sleep and feeling woosy and scared so I've come downstairs and eaten a banana and having a hot drink as my legs feel shivery. Wondering if Prozac is having an effect on my blood sugar? Worrying about if the Prozac is going to work for me this time - no reason to think it shouldn't but I need another glimmer of positiveness, even if only for a minute, just to give me hope. Does it have to get worse again before it starts to get better? I want to be there for my little girl and my husband. I want to stop being a wreck and start enjoying life again. Day 19 coming up and I'm dreading it. Is this normal around Day 19?

Speranza
02-07-13, 00:57
Hi Lexy, I'm ok today, although I woke with terrible pain in my fingers, don't know if the Prozac might be making my tendency to joint pain worse. I also had a brief visual disturbance, again something I have had before. I was at the optician's anyway and they tol dme to get my blood pressure checked just in case, and it is 115/65 - maybe my anxiety has lowered enough to take my BP down?

Namderg
02-07-13, 12:30
I've been to the Dr this morning and she has prescribed beta blockers (Propranolol) to help reduce the amount of adrenaline surging around which is causing me to lose weight and feel anxious all the time. To use for a little while until the Prozac fully kicks in. I have such a lovely Dr. :hugs:

Speranza
02-07-13, 12:48
How great to have such a supportive GP! It really does make all the difference, doesn't it! :hugs:

Lolly85
02-07-13, 14:41
I'm definitely feeling brighter. My sarcasm is returning & I'm starting to get a bit gobby so something is defo working! Lol!!

Xxxx

Hi everyone, it's been an emotional hour reading all your posts but mostly comforting knowing i'm not alone! It brought a genuine smile to my face when I read your comment Bond Girl - as funnily enough, for me the first two weeks were pure bliss..I was sarcastic, gobby, confident....the old me!

I have since had a terrible four weeks as I approach the 7th week of being on flux. Initially started at 20mg then up to 40mg and my psychiatrist has informed me I will go to the 60 eventually.

I am really interested to hear from those who have been on it for 10 weeks or more...after 5 years of living with severe anxiety and associated depression I actually don't mind living with the side effects for a short amount of time as long as they eventually stop and I get back to being the old me that i know is still hiding in there somewhere :)

All the best to those in the early stages and keep your chin up - from reading these pages there is so much experience of bad before good and that is what I am praying for.

Love and happiness to all of you xxx

Tufty
02-07-13, 21:33
Lolly I was on Prozac for years and it can take months to reach it's full effect and for me, when it did it was excellent, I had some 'normal' anxiety but no depression. It enabled me to cope with the anxious feelings in a normal way and get on with my life without them being in the forefront of my mind all the time. I think it took about 4 months at 40mg to reach it's full efficacy but after 2 months I was so much better. You should be nearly there now and be able to see the benefits of Prozac and the side effects should diminish, good luck x

Namberg I take Propanolol alongside my Prozac, 40mg up to three times a day. It helps with the palpitations, tight chest and shakiness, I find I have to take it regularly for it to be effective and it takes a few days to reach maximum efficacy so don't give up on it too soon, you may think it's doing nothing but keep taking it. Some people notice a dry mouth and tiredness and if you take it too close to bedtime it may keep you awake. I hope it works for you x

Speranza I get joint pain with SSRI's but only the higher doses and it's usually my wrists, fingers and feet that are affected. I found that it wore off in time but the wrist pain was quite bad at one point and I had to take painkillers to sleep, I hope yours subsides quickly x

Lexy it's the drugs for sure, not dementia. Feeling dopey when starting medication is normal, I forget the names of things and it can take me ages to get a sentence out. My family think it's funny to try to guess the word I'm searching for :mad: but I'm OK with it, it's just the way these medicines work. Keep the faith, you will return to your normally sparkling self soon x

Elph - how are you doing? You're a few weeks in front of me and it gives me hope to read your posts. Well done for managing to exercise and keep faith, the good days should start overtaking the not so good ones soon x

I'm on day 10 and it's not been easy, partly due to the discontinuation of Mirtazapine at the same time. Day 4 to day 8 were spent mostly lying down due to nausea and dizziness, I wasn't particularly anxious or depressed but fed up, dopey and achy. The nausea and dizziness improved yesterday (day 9) but I still feel slow - both mentally and physically with aching limbs, a headache and not feeling hungry. Unfortunately today the anxiety has increased, with a hours of panicky feelings - a numb/tingling chest, face and neck, feelings of unreality, shaking and general fear of how I feel. I have some Diazepam and have started taking it. I have also taken sleeping tablets for the last two nights as insomnia has struck too. I'm normally an excellent sleeper but I know this is part of the course with Prozac :)

Here's to the next 10 days and being closer to recovery
Sam x

Speranza
02-07-13, 21:44
Thanks! I'm fine at the moment, early days I know. Bit more anxious today but nothing unmanageable.

Namderg
03-07-13, 01:40
Tufty thank you for your kind words. I'm up at 1.30am having spoken to a clinician and dr at nhs direct. I took a 40mg propranolol for the first time and woke about 1.5 hours later very shocked and with hugely increased tinnitus volume and very very frightened by it. The dr thinks I may have had a reaction to the propranolol but I am soooooooo scared right now. I feel like I want to be taken away and given a big sedative what will not have bad effects. The dr asked me to wake my husband so he could help me but he was not happy when I did and just kept saying "what's wrong with you". I told him to go back to bed to look after our little 4 year old daughter. He said my tinnitus is just noise in my head and not medical so I should stop worrying about it - I can't it - it is very frightening. Crazy thing is that I had a bad morning, an ok afternoon and quite a good evening. Wish I hadn't taken the propranolol and now desperately hoping the tinnitus calms down. The dr said it may take several hours but I'm scared it might never calm down. I feel very alone.

Lexy
03-07-13, 01:50
Thanks Sam, I did a little dance after reading what you said! :hugs:x

Am in a dash to get to my doctor's appointment - my two week check up.

Namderg, you're not alone! I do have to dash but I will check in when I come back. You will calm down, just try not to focus on any symptoms, I'm sorry I know that's easier said than done. Try to talk yourself through it, sometimes that helps me. Everything will be ok :hugs:

P.s Namderg - tinnitus is more than a noise in your head, you and I both know that and it is very frightening indeed, mine has gotten much worse since on the meds. Hang in there, thinking of you.

Namderg
03-07-13, 02:00
Thank you Lexy - I wish we could meet for a chat!:)

Lexy
03-07-13, 05:39
Thank you Lexy - I wish we could meet for a chat!:)

Yes, that would be lovely :):) Am so grateful that even though most of us live far away from each other we can at least meet here virtually.

I really hope you managed to get some sleep and the tinnitus calmed down. I talked to my doctor about it and we couldn't find it listed as one of the symptoms, however she did say that anxiety makes tinnitus worse and I definitely have a lot of anxiety. What is interesting is that yesterday I was sitting on the lounge and suddenly I realised that it had completely vanished. it's back again now, not its worst but there nonetheless. The tinnitus that you're describing sounds like what happened to me a few nights ago when it was so loud I just couldn't get to sleep. Horrid!

Also, I don't know if this is something that you can relate to but I know that I have sinus problems (quite mild) which are related to some sore teeth which need tending to but getting to the dentist right now is not only too confronting but lower down on my list to get sorted. I know my tinnitus is related to that inflammation that's going on with my teeth and too my sinuses. I'm wondering if you also may have some localised inflammation which could also be exacerbating it?

Please be gentle on yourself Namderg, you're going through quite a lot and it's still early days. We forget how insidious and pervasive depression/anxiety etc is and expect too much of ourselves, yet for others we would bundle them up and put them to bed, bringing them cups of tea and empathy. The good news is you've experienced some 'glimmers' which shows it is working.
Lexy x

Speranza
03-07-13, 08:49
I already had tinnitus so I don't know if any of it is drug-related - but I CAN tell you that it is unbelievably possible to live with and even forget about - even the really loud stuff! Honestly!

My daughter used an electric toothbrush for the first time the other day. She is 27 and a psychologist but although she's all grown up, she couldn't stop laughing for three minutes because it tickled (I took a video the second time, the first time I was laughing too much!). Point being, I assured her she wouldn't feel like that every time, and two days later she isn't bothered by it at all. Tinnitus is a bit like that. It is the people who focus on it who have the most problems. Next time you become aware of it, just imagine a psychologist screaming with laughter, with an electric toothbrush in her mouth... :wacko:

Lexy
03-07-13, 13:38
Here's to the next 10 days and being closer to recovery

Absolutely Sam, another step closer each day :flowers:

I think you're amazing, that you could be going through all of those SEs yet take the time to provide us with your support. I really hope today has been a better day for you x

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

I already had tinnitus so I don't know if any of it is drug-related - but I CAN tell you that it is unbelievably possible to live with and even forget about - even the really loud stuff! Honestly!

Hi Speranza - I would really love to know how you manage with the really loud stuff. Sometimes I think I tune it out because I am actively listening to something and so I forget it's there or my hearing becomes selective and focussed on the words, music or whatever. But those couple of nights where it was quite loud as I was trying to get to sleep and it was just me, my pillow and that noise (!) it was quite overwhelming. I've never experienced it like that before. Do you have any suggestions how to deal with that?

Speranza
03-07-13, 14:07
I only really notice mine at night now, that IS difficult. But I just kind of tune it out I guess. There is something called a masker which uses white noise which I know a lot of people find really helfpul, but I never fancied trying it. It really is a matter of accepting it and not letting it get to you - easier said than done.

Lexy
04-07-13, 05:21
Thanks Speranza. I do notice that when I don't pay attention to it, if it's not too bad I completely forget about it. It's just a mystery - apart from what my doctor said about anxiety making it worse - as to why the medication seems to have accentuated it. As I'm typing it's mainly in my right ear and so high pitched.

How is everyone doing today?

I'm on day 15 - still having bouts of insomnia, but when I do sleep it's different, it's as if my mind is working away on something and when I wake up it's a real struggle to get out of bed, I just want to keep sleeping!

Sending warm thoughts to you all.

adellic
04-07-13, 05:58
Hi All

New to this forum, but decided its time to add my 2 cents (ha).

So i've been making my way through this post for about 2 weeks now...slowly but surley, and have finally caught up!
It has been a god send for me and I want to thank you all for sharing your experiences, if it wasnt for this post, i think i would have given up on this med by now.

I am bang on week 5 and i started to come right, then, for the last couple of days i've pretty much hit the bottom. My head is heavy and I feel dizzy constantly - this dizzy feeling is the same feeling i got when i started on fluox - i feel like any minute i will go blind (*anxiety speaking), i might pass out, i might fall over, all the usual symptoms of a worrywart. I've also been very very sad and think that everyone is against me. Its weird because alothough i was suffering quite debilitating panic attacks, i wasn't so down as what i am now. anyway, i cant help feeling like this will never get better (and i REALLY need to get better for my son!!), and coming and reading the coments on here really helps me get through my work days. so thanks all :D

I hope all this is normal and i come out the other side soon, I have a feeling of hope thats been telling me to keep at this med so I will, even through all these damn horrible SE's.

good luck everyone!!!

Speranza
04-07-13, 10:11
Keep hanging in there...

Namderg
04-07-13, 11:09
Hi Everyone - I had to go back to dr yesterday - the propranalol was a disaster. She prescribed more diazepam but last night I decided not to take anything and try mind over matter. Amazingly I only woke up once at 3.30am and kept thinking about "pretty flowers" and what lovely friends I have and I how lucky I am. It just about kept the panic and adrenaline sensations at bay and I was able to go back to sleep until my alarm this morning and amazingly only slight panic on waking. Still feeling exhausted and a bit scared but not as bad as the last couple of days. I've decided to only take the Prozac and no more of anything else as I'm too scared of the side effects. And I want my mind to help itself so I can prove to myself that I can be strong. Taking great strength from all of you guys and from all my friends at home who are amazing.

Sending massive well wishes and positive thoughts to everyone. :D :hugs: :flowers:

Namderg
04-07-13, 21:00
I think I may have found a possible cause of the increase in my tinnitus and anxiety. HRT - I have been taking Elleste Duet 1mg since January and it takes about 3-4 months to start working properly. I noticed my tinnitus increase and accompanying anxiety around end April - I have had so many problems with synthetic hormones in the past and I'm thinking this is now too much of a coincidence. Estrogen can affect tinnitus. Going to talk to my dr about reducing / stopping it even if my finger joints pain comes back and then getting some personalised hormone therapy. Don't want to pin all my hopes on this but got to consider this. Has anyone else found hormones play a part in anxiety / panic attacks? When I took Prozac 3 years ago it was when my little girl was one and I'm sure was to do with stopping breast feeding and hormones and some post-natal depression.

Tufty
04-07-13, 23:22
Definitely. My first panic attack was 10 days after the birth of my daughter and I had post natal depression until I got pregnant with my so 8 months later.
I was found to have very low oestrogen levels when I was 30 and exhibiting symptoms of the menopause which included hot flashes, crawling leg feelings and anxiety.
I was put on high dose HRT in 2004 to stop me ovulating as it was believed that it was a major cause in my anxiety and depression.
I have since had a total hysterectomy, including ovaries removed but stopped using HRT - as I couldn't be arsed to be honest.
I used to get low moods and was irritable when I took the contraceptive pill and even had a funny reaction to the Mirena coil, which has a tiny amount of hormones in it - but it was too much for me.
I have recently started back on Oestrogen only HRT as I don't need the Progesterone, I opted for a gel that you apply to your skin everyday. I didn't want to be popping another tablet and I tried the patches once and the used to fall off and I'd find them stuck to towels and things. The skin delivery methods are a more natural type of HRT and thought to be better tolerated. I'm yet to see any improvement but it's early day and I have other medication changes going on too.
I would say my hormones have been a contributing factor to my anxiety and panic attacks. Many women first encounter anxiety and depression after childbirth or around the Menopause. I went to see Professor Studd in London, if you google his name it will take you to his website and he explains about the relationship between womens hormones and their mental health.

Namderg
04-07-13, 23:59
Thank you Tufty! Love your picture - I remember the Tufty Club! I really want to try to get off all tablets. Going to stick with the Prozac now but have just read on Harvard Medical site that Diazepam can trigger or worsen tinnitus so my instincts were right about that one. Need to trust instincts more often and right now they're telling me that synthetic hormones are a no no. I will google Professor Studd. Hope you're ok. I just went into a semi-panic attack about my tinnitus - so have come downstairs for camomile tea and a banana as I think my blood sugar is low too because of the adrenaline surging due to the panic and my legs were shaking in bed and I'm cold. Hope some decent sleep will come soon...

Thank you again Tufty.

Lexy
05-07-13, 09:21
Namderg and Sam - thanks so much for all of that interesting info. It's given me something to think about, wondering how my hormones could be affecting my tinnitus. Miraculously it disappeared completely for a short time today. I was out on a walk and I stopped to listen and could only hear little tweeting birds and the gentle gurgle of the creek. It's back now but barely perceptible, I wonder why?

I hope you got some sleep Namderg. I googled blood sugar + Prozac and noted they warn diabetics to watch their blood sugar whilst on the medication so it definitely has an effect.

Adellic - it will get better, as Speranza says, hang in there :)

I've got some positive news - yesterday (day 15) I had, for a couple of minutes, a moment where my mind became quite clear and focussed. Today it happened again but lasted for much longer, it's quite amazing, as if the fog has cleared! I've just started doing some mindfulness exercises as well, including concentrating on my breathing, mindful walks and listening to my car purrrrrr.
But am still quite tired and a great deal of difficulty getting up, wanting to stay in bed.
How is everyone else going?

Speranza
05-07-13, 09:53
Hi,
I'm ok side effects wise, bit of a headache today but I think that's centred in my shoulder which is stiff from too much typing. :doh: My tinnitus (which I already had) has been noticeably louder for a day or two, guess that may be the Prozac.

Today I have to pluck up the courage to ring my Union guy (he's lovely but I get a bit wound up thinking he will be too busy too speak, and cross I called at that moment - which has never happened!). I'm also going to email HR to ask where the copy of my contract they promised a week ago has disappeared to. The only truly rational decision I've been able to make (apart from taking all the time I need) is that no way am I going to meet with anybody from school without having seen my contract. Which I am currently quite able to believe has disappeared so they can retype it and forge my signature. These are people who decided to demote someone while he was off work after temporary surgery, because his sick pay would then be cheaper.

Wish me luck! (And yes to all the hormone stuff, that's why we have PMS after all, and that always felt like temporary insanity to me!!)

Ivanshome
06-07-13, 08:54
Anybody out there? Have been taking fluxetine for 6 weeks now, have a lot of stress in my life & feeling dreadful, sweating in the mornings, random thoughts, tense. Also take diazapan to ease me through. Please help

Lexy
06-07-13, 09:00
Hi Ivanshome. I'm here but I'm only at the 17 day mark with fluoxetine. Please let me know how I can help, if I can help. When was the last time you checked in with your doctor?

Ivanshome
06-07-13, 09:05
Went to see doc last week, gave me more flux & also reluctantly diazapan. She says it make take 6 - 8 weeks to feel the effects. am so worried

Lexy
06-07-13, 09:14
Did she change the dosage? Would you like to talk more about what you're worried about or the side effects you're experiencing?

Ivanshome
06-07-13, 09:19
She kept the dosage at the same level, i have feelings of dread as soon as i wake up, sleep isnt too bad. hard to get going first thing, want to get thru this so much. have taken 2 weeks off work too ease the pressure, & will be looking to change my job. Dont know what to do with myself. Am coming on 55 & dont know why im feeling this way

Lexy
06-07-13, 09:26
You're doing all the right things, taking time off work is really looking after yourself, especially that you're thinking of changing your job. Depression/anxiety makes it incredibly difficult to think clearly, you're in a fog and everything you think is influenced by it. Try not to worry over what may have caused this, instead focussing on getting better - am sorry, this sounds easier said than done.
Are you able to get out and go for a walk, you may not have the mental space for it yet but have you heard of mindfulness exercises? These work really well in combination with medication and have made a significant difference to how I'm thinking. It's good that you are getting sleep, that's really important. I know all about the dread, that's exactly how I was waking up everyday for the last year or so.

Ivanshome
06-07-13, 09:31
Please explain mindful exercises? Am able to go for walks. Mornings are the worst time for me the rest of the day is not so bad. I feel isolated & have very few freinds. I know i will get thru this eventually just wish it would come soon

Lexy
06-07-13, 09:44
There's lots of info about this online and I'll try to find the website that actually does guided mindfulness (you just listen to the instructions), but essentially it's about staying in the moment. So for example, you know how your mind starts getting full of thoughts, critical voices etc? Well, you try to focus on something that you can see, hear, taste, smell, touch e.g you might focus on your breathing, noting the breath without judging it. It's difficult to explain it succinctly but essentially you're training your mind to come back to the present so it doesn't get hooked into destructive thinking. Let me find you the website ...

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

Try here Ivan http://mentalhealth.org.uk/help-information/podcasts/ it's under Wellbeing Podcasts and if you scroll down you will see there are a number just on mindfulness.

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

It's great to hear you are being positive, knowing you will get through this, my doctor said that's very important when you're on the medication. When you're isolated (I have been too so understand completely) it makes this illness more of a challenge but it's good that you recognise that so when you're feeling a bit better you might be able to find some ways of mixing with people. I did some volunteering which was fantastic for me and the people were just wonderful.

Ivanshome
06-07-13, 09:48
Thank you, will look at website, keep in touch.

Lexy
06-07-13, 09:49
This also is a short article about mindfulness and at the end makes some great suggestions, even using it on walks which is what I am doing at the moment.
http://psychcentral.com/lib/2013/how-mindfulness-can-mitigate-the-cognitive-symptoms-of-depression/

Hang in there Ivan, all the best! You can always start your own thread too about exactly what you're going through and there may be others who are experiencing the same thing.

MastiffMan
08-07-13, 13:56
Week five ends for me today and six begins tomorrow. Overall i have noticed significant improvement over the past few weeks. The first three were truly a challenge. I have had some good days and then the fog and mind numbness returns but not as profoundly as before. Exercised yesterday and came home and fell asleep for an hour. When I awoke felt very down which lasted into the evening. Had a social engagement and decided to go none the less. As I became engaged in the conversation my mood improved. Have lost weight and even though I am not underweight, in fact at the healthiest level I have been at in decades, folks kind of look at me askance and ask about it? Appetite comes and goes depending on my mood which indicates the workings of the Fluoxetine. Liked the comments about the mindfulness. Definitely acceptance is the key and staying in the moment does provide significant relief. Work seems to be progressing well and actually keeps my mind occupied and focused on something other than my brain / mind. Ivan - hang in there. It does pass but it seems like forever. When you are in the middle of it, it seems like it will never get better, but it does. One suggestion would be not to make any major suggestions until you are feeling better. I know my perception can be negatively impacted by my mental state.

adellic
10-07-13, 22:44
thanks Spreanza & Lexy for your positive words :)

i am on week 6 today, and as above, have noticed improvement, and see what everyone means about the good days and the foggy days. I had my first weekend at home last week with my son while my partner went out for the day, with no fear about my health, where i felt normal again, like myself, and got through the day without a larozapam (as i have been taking them for a while, i am just starting to wein off the benzo's), didn't feel dizzy or any of it and it was amazing!.

then, just this week, the foggy/dizzy head came back, though i was kind of expecting to have good and bad days so im trying not to let it get to me as much as before. still hoping this is just a normal phase that will pass though - really hoping these pills kick in full-time soon.

also last couple of nights i have had trouble getting to sleep and have the weirdest dreams (even a couple of nightmares that are really f'd up) they feel SO real, and wake me up hyperventilating and feeling anxious about the day ahead - stupid dreams/anxiety :nonono:. does anyone else have weird dreams???

anywho, sorry for the novel everyone, had to get it out somewhere :blush:

hope everyone else is doing well so far!!!
:D

OncewasSupergirl
10-07-13, 22:55
Adellic,
Sounds like you're doing well and trust me the foggy/dizzy spells will pass. I'm 7 months on fluox now and I still have the odd "off" day but nothing too bad. Also I have the weird dreams pretty much every night, I researched it and a Psych on youtube explained its cos the fluox makes you go in to dream sleep skipping REM sleep or something like that?! I don't really have nightmares though just weird dreams. I wish you well in your recovery :) x x

adellic
11-07-13, 00:26
thanks OncewasSupergirl! :D

yeah, at first the foggy feeling used to scare the crap out of me, but im slowly getting used to it so its not bothering me AS much, sometimes still triggers my heart to spead up and get a bit panicy but nothing like i used to. i kind of just tell myself now that if i was going to pass out or whatever, then i would, not much i can do about it...and it never happens...!

7 months hey, hope your feeling better! i know im never going to be completely 'cured' from taking a pill, that i'll need to practice other techniques to calm myself ect, and i'll still have my 'off' days but im so glad i stuck with it and didn't change to something else - because omg its nice to not feel sick to my stomach with fear everyday, and be back to the old adelle that everyone was missing! - and its all thanks to finding this particular post!

i have heard before about the dream stuff, i usually just have very weird dreams, the nightmares are new so hopefully they die down, nothing i cant handle though - its only a dream!

wishing you well in your recovery also x :)

MastiffMan
15-07-13, 11:51
Entering week seven and feel significant improvement in decrease in symptoms (depression and anxiety) and improvement in overall mood. The change is not dramatic but subtle and actually catches me unaware at times.

Sleep has also improved however I continue to wake up around 3-4 am each day and remain awake for about an hour. Just as predictably I fall asleep for another few hours around 5:00.

Another change is I have stopped using non steroidal anti inflammatory medications, including ibuprofen and aspirin. This seems to also have made a difference in helping me get over the hump of the gray cloud. Apparently these medications may interfere with the therapeutic effect of Fluoxetine. Discussed this with my physician who stated he was unaware of this relationship.

Please goggle this article:

Antidepressant effects of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are attenuated by antiinflammatory drugs in mice and humans

Jennifer L. Warner-Schmidta,1, Kimberly E. Vanoverb, Emily Y. Chena, John J. Marshalla, and Paul Greengard

If you are just starting and experiencing the side effects, hang in there it does pass. Just need to give it some time. Regardless of how dark and hopeless it may seem at times, persevere and you will see relief. I thought it never would pass and it has considerably.

adellic
23-07-13, 23:01
need to vent out somewhere and i guess, find a bit of reasurrance to push through this...

im now in week 7, nearly 8 and have hit a blip.
anxiety has been present everyday again and the dizzy spells are back (GRRRRRRRR!!!!!)
starting to give up hope of feeling better, even though i have had amazing days in between feeling crap. im still holding out that this is going to get better soon, my body is telling me im going to get through this but arrg its hard some days to believe it...i really hope it does pass i hate feeling like im going to pass out and die at any moment, even though i KNOW its just my anxiety :(

OncewasSupergirl
23-07-13, 23:31
Adellic,

Trust me you are doing fine, the fluox is definitely working for you if you have experienced good periods. Its normal for it to be a bit up n down, I know I was at 8 weeks. I know I started to feel really "normal" much later on so you have a way to go, but don't lose hope it all evens out eventually. I had dizzy spells regularly till recently, I still have odd moments I've learnt to laugh at them I call them my prozac weirdness!
Eventually you will be able to say to yourself it really doesn't matter.
Its also worth a mention that hot weather produces the same symptoms as anxiety. We are having a heawave here n I've felt a bit "off" at times.
I completely agree with what you posted previously about learning to calm yourself by relaxation etc, I find the fluox keeps me stable enough to be able to do those things, you will never cure anxiety (in my opinion!) But it is manageable :) x x

MastiffMan
24-07-13, 00:54
I have had a couple of challenging days with anxiety and just feeling flat after a fairly good week last. Can't shake the fog and wonder if I should just give up all these medications. The next moment I think maybe I should increase the Fluox. At other times I think this stuff just is not working and then I think maybe it is just my impatience and intolerance with the anxiety. Want it to leave and want it to leave now. Relieved to hear someone else is having challenges around 7 or 8 weeks. Perhaps it is all part of the process. Thanks for the comments. When I stay in the moment I seem to be fine. They key is staying in the moment.

adellic
24-07-13, 02:52
thanks again supergirl! its like i know im ok and i have to give it time and accept that i'll have these dumb days, but at the same time the anxiety is trying to trick me into thinking 'nope theres deff something wrong with you'
nice to know im not alone though.
how long have you been on prozac for? -*edit* just read above post haha silly me

mastiffMan, "The next moment I think maybe I should increase the Fluox. At other times I think this stuff just is not working and then I think maybe it is"
I definatly agree with you there im guessing we are at the same week???
when i hit 5 weeks i was fine, back to normal smiling again, SE's had settled and i wasnt so bothered about every little thing, then bamm 7 weeks and im panicing again - constaint knots in my stomach all day - so back to the lorazpam for a bit till this settles down again.

just before while i was on lunch driving to visit someone, i get this teeny little pain in my chest, and BANG into a full blown panic attack thinking i was going to pass out, instead of pulling over like a normal person, i speed off as fast as i could to get to where i was going (which was just at the end of the road). arrg need to be strong!! :doh:

sorry for such a novel, im still a bit jittery..

Speranza
24-07-13, 07:06
Hi, I started a thread yesterday but nobody spotted it, so if you don't mind I'll just post here! (Feeling a bit better today in fact)

Hi,
Day 33 and I feel as though I have plummeted down a lift shaft. It's not intolerable - I've finally got out of bed and showered, and will go out for lunch to be amongst people for a while - but low feelings were not a part of my condition, so I'm wondering, could it be a new side effect this far in? I know low mood is a known SE of Prozac.
I'm telling myself it means the drug is kicking in enough to produce this SE and will begin to work wonderfully soon; even if it's rubbish, it makes me feel better! It has been very grey for three days after over a week of glorious sunshine, and my cat isn't well, so that will undoubtedly be in the mix. But that wouldn't usually make me feel like this.
Any thoughts, anybody?

Oh - and yesterday I had the weirdest thing, I felt as I walked along like I was about two feet high! I used to fleetingly get that when I was a little girl, I would be lying in bed and feel myself shrink and be certain I wouldn't be able to reach the floor if I tried to get out of bed. I have had it since but this was for a few minutes as I walked along - hard to describe but it certainly felt druggy!

MastiffMan
24-07-13, 12:29
Exercise really helps me. I found at the very least it will make me tired enough to fall asleep naturally. While my days have been very mixed and yesterday was a real challenge I was able to get about 9 hours sleep last night. I still get up around 3:00 - 4:00 but the time I am awake is much shorter. It has been incredibly hot where I live since I started taking Fluox and the heat seems to really be a bother. Today it was the first cool day in a long time and this morning I could turn off the air conditioning, lay in bed, and just listen to life on the outside. My key is staying focused in the day. Then I seem to be able to tolerate this whole thing at least for another 24 hours. Have a peaceful day.

Taoistnun21
25-07-13, 08:14
Thanks to everyone who's posted here. It's really keeping me going. I have body dysmorphia and at age 42 I have suddenly become overwhelmed by compulsions that I had never previously experienced. I started Prozac two weeks ago. I had the initial euphoria from days 3-7 which could actually feel pretty intense and overwhelming. I then went through nausea, dizziness, shakes. I relate to the feelings of terror and desperation, particularly on waking. I have lost a fair amount of weight. Now on day 15 and the morning terrors are still very bad but I seem to be levelling out during the day. This site has made me hopeful that sticking through this phase will be worth it. Through the panic and pain of side effects my obsessions related to BDD are slowly abating. Would be interested in hearing others experience with Prozac and bdd. Will update how it goes. I am so grateful to you all. Thanks x

lynclindsay
26-07-13, 19:39
ive been on fluoxetine 20mg for 10 weeks then i went to drs and they upped it to 40mg, the side effects have been awfull have been on 40mg for 1 week now and still cant eat properly get anxious fell sick have tried anti sicknes tablets but they just dopped me up, im going on holiday in 2 weeks and hope side effects will lesson. any advise welcome

mallan82450
26-07-13, 22:06
ive been on fluoxetine 20mg for 10 weeks then i went to drs and they upped it to 40mg, the side effects have been awfull have been on 40mg for 1 week now and still cant eat properly get anxious fell sick have tried anti sicknes tablets but they just dopped me up, im going on holiday in 2 weeks and hope side effects will lesson. any advise welcome

When Did the SE of increasing the dose occur? Straight away? I've just upped to 40mg and I am coming to the end of day 2 . . . I've felt slightly out of sorts, with a fuzzy head but have been out and about shopping, dog walks and I have been for a meal out tonight but did have heightened during this. What were you like in the first couple of days? :):)

MastiffMan
28-07-13, 16:17
I just upped to 30mg from 20mg and can feel a difference. Trying to see where I am and how I feel at the end of each day. Good luck.

lynclindsay
29-07-13, 11:02
When Did the SE of increasing the dose occur? Straight away? I've just upped to 40mg and I am coming to the end of day 2 . . . I've felt slightly out of sorts, with a fuzzy head but have been out and about shopping, dog walks and I have been for a meal out tonight but did have heightened during this. What were you like in the first couple of days? :):)

se started strait away im now thinking of goig back down to 20mg again

Speranza
29-07-13, 11:25
Lyn, was about to respond to your thread and direct you here - glad you found it! x

MastiffMan
29-07-13, 12:32
I have decided to stay at 20mg and may try adding 10mg every other day to see how it goes, for a week, with the intent of moving to 30mg. I did find that fluoxetine is contraindicated for individuals 65 or older. I am not far off from that age. I am beginning to question if I had been on too high of a dose before. I was experiencing symptoms then that I now can identify as SEs. That was when I decided to start tapering off all together. I am not looking to feel good all the time. I am more interested in being at a level that enables me to deal with life's issues and challenges with out falling into a depression. Docs seem to push to the maximum dose. What I am finding is that the dose should be kept at the lowest effective dose. I wonder what the clinical definition of that is.

Melsy28
02-08-13, 15:22
Hi everyone,
It's been really helpful reading these posts.
I've been on 20mg of fluoxetine for about 6 months, and also had 6 sessions of counselling to learn mindfulness.
I felt soo much better and hadn't cried for a long time, but had occasional bad spells- usually after drinking alcohol.
I've recently had to increase my dosage to 40mg as I've started feeling very low again, and today I got sent home from work for having a panic attack.

Does anyone know when the side effects of the increase kick in, and whether they last for as long as the initial ones?
I feel really numb inside and very flat at the moment- I can't wait to start feeling like me again.

Thanks for everyone's messages on here- they are great help.

Fras
03-08-13, 21:26
I'm a little over three weeks into it now. I had a fairly typical experience with the pills from reading this. Two or three days with "odd" side effects like staring a lot and feeling a bit kooky, twitching etc, then up until about week 2 the anxiety came back quite badly, and possibly worse than before (it's hard to gauge though, the physical feelings felt bad, but I felt psychologically it wasn't).

Anyway, I have had a recurring feeling the past few days in my stomach as if I have pulled an abdominal core muscle, I keep noticing that it is tensing and I actively relax it, later on it goes back to tense. So frustrating, been trying my best to accept it is just tension but it's like nausea....always there. It has been there for a while, but I drank a lot of alcohol last night so that might have triggered it.

I probably shouldn't have driven this morning (I had to get something), anyway I have my panicky feelings when driving, it's "my thing" haha, and I managed to talk myself down from it even after a fairly unpleasant ten or eleven seconds of derealisation, or it felt more like I was ultra-aware of my body and my hands and arms started to feel like they belonged to someone else. obviously something to do with a fear of crashing the car but anyway, i powered through. I am still hopeful for the prozac and am laying off the drink for a while.

gabs10d
04-08-13, 17:01
Hi, I have been on fluoxetine 20mg for 4 days now. When do the side effects start? Also, my doctor only gave me a months supply and told me to come back after. The thing is, I'm on holiday and I'm going to run out a couple of days before I get home. What will happen if I don't take them?

Speranza
05-08-13, 06:27
Hi,
my only consistent side effects seem to be a wave of tiredness about an hour after I take the tablet, increased need of a daily nap (or three!) and hot flushes. I am post-menopausal and so I'm assuming as I hadn't had any flushes for a long time that it is the Prozac. It isn't a major problem but I don't know if it is one of the SEs you are meant to report. I'm well otherwise so I'm hanging in there for now.