PDA

View Full Version : Evening folks

Finn
10-11-08, 21:02
You folks are the first to know I've been suffering panic attacks on & off for, um, 24 years. Had my first one age 18, and I'm 42 tmorro. :)

It's not really difficult to explain what brings them on. Enclosed rooms with lots of people, can be on an underground train, in a conference room at work, anywhere really where I can't immediately exit without drawing attention to myself.

Like most I've got my own strategies for avoiding panic attacks, mainly keeping well clear of any environment which will cause me to have one. And that strategy has worked well for me. Until now.

The office where I worked closed down a few months ago. I'd been there for 20 years, a small office, small number of very friendly colleagues, an absolutely perfect place to work. Now I've been compulsorily relocated to a vast open plan call centre type office. And being one of the most experienced members of staff I'm now sitting with the senior management (not that I'm senior management, of course, I've never gone for promotion because promotion means endless meetings in enclosed places with large numbers of people, the very thing which brings on my attacks).

On my bank of desks I'm the one who sits out like a sore thumb. The lowest grade (the one who does all the real work haha), alongside 2 HR managers, 2 admin managers and the overall office manager. Our office is full of new staff, very badly trained too, loads of mistakes are getting made, lots of complaints are coming in & "the management" are putting pressure on me to take promotion. But if I do so I'm going to end up with an intolerable working life, panic attacks all the time. They don't understand why I keep knocking back promotion and are genuinely confused as to why I'm still on the starting grade after 22 years unblemished service. Questions are being asked. Why am I being so selfish when I can surely see the business need ??

It's making me ill. Last week I had a panic attack 5 days in a row. The usual symptoms, the sudden "BANG" as the adrenaline hits the system, legs going, heart pounding, grasping onto the desk as if my life depended on it. Bloody awful it was (don't need to tell any of you that, I guess).

I can't continue with this. It's going to affect my career. I've managed to cover up this problem of mine for 24 years now & it looks like it's about to bite me again if I don't find myself some better strategies for it.

That's why I'm here.

This post's a bit self indulgent. Just me me me. Like I say I've never discussed this with anyone before, not even my nearest and dearest.

So. Hi. I'm Finn :D

ladybird64
10-11-08, 21:11
Hi Finn and :welcome:

Strategies are in abundance here so have a look around, read some posts and get a feel for the place. :)
We are all in the same boat so you're in good company. :yesyes:

janeh
10-11-08, 21:26
Anxiety and panic are all about perception. If you think somewhere will make you feel panicky then you are seeing it as a threat and reacting accordingly. Avoiding situations gives you short term relief but has a habit of creeping up on you eventually. You are viewing your new environment as threatening which is triggering the panic. Try lots of positive thinking and try to see your office as a good place to be. CBT is really helpful if you can access it, all about retraining the way you think. I used to carry flash cards to use if I got into a panic giving me positive things to think like 'i am in control' 'I have nothing to fear' etc. It helps the panicky feelings diminish quicker.

Veronica H
16-11-08, 08:57
:welcome: Finn.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'Self help for your nerves' published by Thorsons ISBN 978-0-7225-3155-6. This is available from the NMP Shop. I cannot recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover. Her recordings can be downloaded free to your MP3 from the NMP Shop too. If you are thinking about CBT, but are on a waiting list, there is a very good free online course called www.livinglifetothefull.com (http://www.livinglifetothefull.com/). Glad that you have found us. You will find comfort and support here.
Veronica