PDA

View Full Version : What do you do...........

Bill
11-11-08, 03:38
..............when you're at home and you suddenly start feeling anxious which develops into panic?

Since it's Armistice Day, a couple of thoughts to share. Have you ever wondered how the men must have felt before climbing out of the trenches in the 1914 - 1918 first world war? Or how the RAF pilots must have felt before going on an operation in WW2? Or how the men must have felt on D-Day when they stormed the beaches? Sheer terror I imagine!

When I researched my uncle who was killed in WW2, I was sent stories by those who flew with him. One said that when he was in the pub, he couldn't drink his beer properly because he couldn't stop his hand shaking.

They also say that the worst time is actually sitting around waiting to go into battle. Why? Because that's when all the fears and worries trouble you. It's only when the battle commenced that they stopped thinking about worries and how they're feeling because they were too busy just trying to stay alive.

So....what do we do when we're feeling terrified? Well, we often find a safe bed to lay on to worry more about how we're feeling!:wacko: But that means we just stay in the trench for eternity. The only way to stop the worries is by getting out of the trench to do battle.

True, the battle can be hard and stressful, and it will be if we take the trench with us by continuing to worry about "going over the top". So the trick is to go into battle and not focus on worries but instead on winning by focusing on our objectives we want to achieve! We can then return home victorious and hang the flags out by reminding ourselves of the battle won!

However, we often lose battles at first but they mustn't deter us because troops always keep going with Confidence believing that ultimately they will beat their foe....and so can we...but we have to learn how and not retreat to our trenches because of setbacks. We can either return to keep fighting, or we can flee and allow our enemy to beat us. I know which I'd rather do because the rewards of winning can be boundless!

I have known people who have won their battles so I know the war Can be won with the right armoury and tactics to deploy.:buttkick: :whiplash:

Ddcoo
11-11-08, 08:56
As always Bill a very useful post, you put things into perspective. I've got 2 battles to win over the next 2 days and will be taking your teachings with me. Thanks Ddcoo.

sheena
11-11-08, 15:32
Wow Bill that is so how I went through my journey to overcome being housebound suffering from anxiety and depression'

After 3 years going through the mental health system, and after having been refused CBT because I was too ill to get any benefit from it I eventually started on CBT therapy. She was a young psychologist who was fantastic. With her help I slowly, with baby steps, started to get out of the trench and face my fears. Okay, after 2 years of moving forward, I still not have reached where I was before, but at least I can get out by myself to a certain extent.

Next year I am hoping that I can volunteer at working at a charity that helps homeless people with alcohol and drug addiction and mental health problems with a view to securing permanent work with them.

I never lost any family in WW1 o WW2 but my dad spent his lifetime reading books about the wars to try and get an answer as to why and what WW2 was about. He was 19 years old when he first went to sea in a submarine to fight the foes. I once asked him if he was frightened and he just said yes. He never talked about his experiences during the war but up to his death used to have horrendous flash back dreams. I can still remember my dad yelling out in his sleep.

I got 16 DVDS about WWII and did not realise how many countries were involved and how the big knobs got together and decided that on the eleventh day at the eleveth hour the war would stop after so many men how died and be maimed for their country. Just like our young men who are fighting the war in Afganistan. It breaks my heart when they publish the photos of young men who have lost their future in a war that once again the big knobs made a decision to send them to another country to lay down their lives.

Oh want a rant.

Once again thanks for that post, Bill.

Sheena

Sheena

redballoons
11-11-08, 17:17
hi
I have always wondered how people coped with things like wars, attacks etc. I studied history at university and the module that was most traumatic was the crime and punishment one because until that point I had never quite imagined that there were so many ways to harm someone...the main thing that struck me about it was that not only did some of these people SURVIVE they went on to live productive normal lives.

I think that it is the same whether the battle is actually for your life or if it feels like it is for your life. when I had my son I was very ill in hospital with kidney failure etc but at the time I was completely calm because i knew it was out of my control...but if i go to the shops i get in a total panic because i feel like i cant control everything - wierd!

when I get very anxious i try to remind myself that it is pointless to try and control it just let it happen and it will go quickly fight it and it will hang round for hours...it doesnt always work but occasionaly it does which is better than nothing

sophie

suzy-sue
11-11-08, 20:01
THANK YOU BILL A VERY INSPIRING POST.:hugs: SUE