PDA

View Full Version : Horizon BBC 2 9pm - How mad are you?

Moo
11-11-08, 07:36
Hi folks

I wasn't sure where to post this but I was bringing peoples attention to BBC2 tonight at 9pm. There is a documentary which looks quite good called 'How mad are you?'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fm5ql

http://www.bbc.co.uk/headroom/newsandevents/programmes/horizon_hmay.shtml

Looks like it might be quite good.

And maybe it might make us all feel slightly less mad..........:D

Moo xx

hopeful
11-11-08, 10:26
Thanks Moo,
I'll be tuning in,looks very interesting.:yesyes:
julie x:hugs:

suzy-sue
11-11-08, 20:16
THANKS MOO!WELL WORTH A LOOK.SUE THERES NO SUCH THING AS NORMAL,WERE ALL UNIQUE!:wacko:

marie1974
11-11-08, 20:45
oh thanku, i gonna watch that soon xxxxx

eternally optimistic
11-11-08, 20:50
I saw that advertised too, will look out for it as long as we're not fighting over TV, might be banished to the kitchen!!!

eternally optimistic
11-11-08, 22:01
That was soo good.

Didnt realise is was more than one program, was desperate to know who had what.

Thought the teacher suffered with anxiety.

THANKS FOR THE REMINDER THAT PROGRAM WAS ON.

marie1974
11-11-08, 22:05
i really enjoyed that too, i did too jackie the teacher, and i also realise pretty quick about dan and ocd as it was quite obvious with him.

hugs all xx

bab
11-11-08, 22:18
Dan was very obvious but I also thought that Yasemin had something. do you think jackie is anorexic? i think maybe yasemin bipolar

bab
11-11-08, 22:21
hhmm i forgot about schitzophrenia - i think alex definately SA or depression -

marie1974
11-11-08, 22:29
yeah i reckon alex mayb Dep, schitzphrenia is a tough one, also i wondered whether jackie was anorexic

bab
11-11-08, 22:32
yasemin - if you log onto this site - ill have what your having lol - she seems to be coping amazingly with whatever illness she has! i want to know who has what! Its amazing how anyone can have traits of a mental illness and i suppose if anyone of us and those who dont suffer with mental illness are studies - we could all be diagnosed with something

marie1974
11-11-08, 22:35
u could go on there fine and very confident and come out with a list of disorders lol

bab
11-11-08, 22:37
imagine the poor sods who have gone in as a normal person only to be told that the professional think they are mentally ill

bab
11-11-08, 22:38
duh - sorry donna thats what u just said -

marie1974
11-11-08, 22:39
lol can u imagine go in happy and no probs and then u told u got skitzaphrenia, how awful, i def end up depressed after that lol

marie1974
11-11-08, 22:39
hehe no worries babs hugs xxxx

frugal dougal
12-11-08, 02:31
Hi - this is my first post - I was diagnosed with manic depression some years ago, of which anxiety, for the first couple of years anyway, was marked, and am now looking for a career change (used to be a psychiatric nurse). Anyway, I was fascinated by this documentary and, as I'm a sad old blogger I wondered if you might want to have a look at my blog on it. (NB I discuss positive and negative experiences on both sides of the bed in it):

http://draughtyoldfentales.blogspot.com/2008/11/good-taste-back-on-horizon-how-mad-are.html

bab
12-11-08, 08:33
hi frugal - ill def have a look after the school run, thanks..

Yvonne
12-11-08, 09:14
Hi All

I can't remember the names of the participants on the programme. The man with OCD, yes I'd say that was obvious. The girl with the dark wavy hair - mid length, forget her name - there's defo something there although she came over marvellously on the comedy bit - she said she was a teacher.

I have to say that I really don't agree with the title of the programme "How Mad are You"? I certainly don't consider myself "mad" and I certainly don't want the label of madness pinned on us who suffer anxiety/depression in its' many forms. They could have come up with lots of different titles for this programme. I do want these illnesses to be brought to the public's attention to get rid of some of the stigma attached but this is giving the wrong message to the people who don't suffer this illness. I think I'll write to the BBC.

The one good thing I got out of the programme was the fact that our illness is not as noticeable to members of the public as we fear it is. My god if a panel of professionals can't spot who is suffering then who can?

Yvonne

Smiley?
12-11-08, 09:47
i think yasmin might be schizophenic and vicky might be the anorexic

worth watching to see the professionals getting it wrong!

When's the next episode on?

Hereford Al
12-11-08, 12:19
Same time next Tuesday I think.

Maybe the woman they got wrong suffered with Bi-Polar or something? Whatever she has been taking in terms of medication, I want some! She seemed the most "normal" of all of them on there.

Logicalgal
12-11-08, 12:40
Did they notice that the third cow from the left had signs of seperation anxiety and low self esteem?
I found the programme insulting, mental illness is not a guessing game, it's a science.
Sorry, but I think using the word 'mad' in the title gives we with little self worth a slap in the face. :(

Smiley?
12-11-08, 13:07
I found the programme insulting, mental illness is not a guessing game, it's a science.
Sorry, but I think using the word 'mad' in the title gives we with little self worth a slap in the face. :(

Science? Mental illness can't be a science because we don't live in a laboratory! We're too human!!! If it is science then why do people react differently to different medications? :shrug:

I think the title is perfect for the programme, maybe we've all got a degree of madness - even the normal ones!!!

frugal dougal
12-11-08, 15:46
Personally, I think the programme was invaluable for showing precisely how much of the diagnostic process is a guessing game. What it didn't show was the personality conflicts that can exist among mental health profession as well as the deference that some still demand - although I guess for the purpose of the documentary Horizon needed people big enough to admit that they can be wrong.

AtmoLav
12-11-08, 18:35
mental illness is not a guessing game, it's a science.

Is it?

I think that's the point of the programme - just how much science is there, and how much of it is labels that have become attached to behavioural patterns?

Sophie85
15-11-08, 10:35
Thanks for that cos i missed the programme. funny title!

Smiley?
18-11-08, 09:30
Tonight I think - 9pm

frugal dougal
18-11-08, 20:02
There's also some good stuff on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/headroom/newsandevents/programmes/horizon_hmay.shtml

frugal dougal
19-11-08, 01:29
Hi, I linked to my blog on the first episode a week ago - here's the one on the second part:

http://draughtyoldfentales.blogspot.com/2008/11/blurred-boundaries-fine-lines-how-mad.html

FD

FD

AntiLove_SuperStar
20-11-08, 23:45
Bahhh that show was pretty unscientific, asking some experts to detect PAST diagnoses?!? Heh. I think what they were trying to do was laudable enough, but.

bab
21-11-08, 17:43
I was disappointed in the program - yes it proves that you cant tell who is mentally ill which is good. but ..

AntiLove_SuperStar
21-11-08, 19:14
but..they arn't mentally ill now? I thought they were all controlled, so not mentally ill so much because they were now treated?

Yvonne
21-11-08, 23:25
Antilove

PRECISELY. That's exactly what I thought. No wonder the so called professionals couldn#t spot them - they were all recovered! Could any of us get up in front of an audience and do a comedy routine..............perish the thought, I'd rather climb Everest.

The big girl with depression, yes she had suffered depression and the deep sadness in her eyes as she told how it had been for her it was apparent she had suffered but she wasn't now, no she was working and having a jolly time playing rugby in her video clip on the BBC website.

The OCD man was leading a very normal life as far as I'm concerned unless I missed something relevant. Greatest sympathy to him of course because I know he had suffered very badly. This nice man said he was proud of his illness because it was "him". Well I couldn't be proud of my illness cos it's not me! Also, I can't be proud of something which has ruined my life.

To suffer these illnesses in my opinion means that either anxiety/depression/ocd whatever has to have a huge detrimental effect on your life whereby it does not allow you to lead a normal life. That is when someone is suffering.

I quite enjoyed the programme but it wasn't as good as I had envisaged. I would welcome more programmes on the subject but with people who are currently suffering and whose lives are impaired by the illness.

frugal dougal
23-11-08, 19:46
Big respect for the courage of all involved - including the professionals, who were willing to stick their necks out and show, as one of them said, that diagnosis is as much of an art than a science (I would say more of an art).

Like many, it was Yasmin who I ended up identifying. Although I'm manic-depressive like Stuart, I tend to hover around the low end of the mood spectrum. But Dan was also an inspiration, and Alex's story of the stark choice she faced - fight the anorexia or die - showed, I think, the fear and anxiety associated with mental illness that folk don't often see. I'd also pick out Vicki, who was happy for the panel to have suspected she might have experienced psychotis in the past, possibly even schizophrenia, because of the "fine line" between illness and wellness it displayed.