PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to be aware of breathing ALL day? I can't take full deep breaths...

Vickid
11-11-08, 20:20
Guys, I need as much advice as anyone can give.

Everyday I think about my breathing, I try to take big deep breaths and I can't, only when I'm really relaxed (which isn't often these days). I have gone the whole day so far without a diazapam but the breathing is doing my head in.

Is it at all possible that I could be suffering from an allergic reaction to a chemical...........?? basically, I'm allergic a chemical that the dentist uses for local anaestetic - only the topical one (which is what they dab on your gum before injecting). I had an extraction without the topical but then a week later the dentist put the topical on (I assume forgetting) and then injected. For three weeks after that I have had breathing trouble and nervousness.

Could there be a link? and would an allergic reaction last this long?

cwoz82
18-11-08, 18:09
I don't know about the link but the inability to breath -feeling like i can't get enough air into my lungs - i deem to be a symptom of my anxiety, it's what ultimately made me go to the doctors and get medicated. I found that all day i was thinking about my breathing, and if i did relax, i'd catch myself not thinking about the breathing and the whole situation started again. Like i said, don't know about any links but can empathise with the symptoms.

Wenjoy
19-11-08, 15:27
Seems to me that the breathing thing is what a lot of us anxiety sufferers get. I get the hypervenilating (cant get a deep breath so we panic breathe) all the time and it causes my panic attacks. We have to learn to focus on other things and our body will breathe without us thinking about it. very difficult - I know as Ive had this for 27 years! Wenjoy x

Anxious_gal
19-11-08, 19:18
I like meditation but I find it hard because the second I focus on my breathing, I become too aware and end up feeling like I can't breath, I have somehow trained my mind to stop thinking about my breathing,
I think you maybe just be over focusing on your breathing and end up feeling like you can't breath,
hyperventilating is awful, the trick is, to calm down, hold your breath for 10 seconds, take slow breath, i find breathing through my mouth helps, or breath into a paper bag.
also remember to breath into your belly,, as breathing into your chest makes you feel breathless,

Carolinemargaret
19-11-08, 22:10
I always end up with the breathing problem, especially once I start thinking about it. I think you are probbaly thinking about it which makes it worse. I seem to find breathing through my nose helps, but I dont know if I do it wrong and maybe the mouth is the best way.