PDA

View Full Version : reductil and escitalopram

Mrs Pink
11-11-08, 20:21
Hi guys joined this site tonight in the hope someone can help! I have been taking 10mg escitalopram for a couple of years ... think its ok .. still have down days and terrible anxiety and panics at times, but not so bad .... I have just been put on reductil 15mg as well - this is a weight loss drug - proper name sibutramine. I understand it is an SNRI which is a bit like an SSRI? Anyway I am worried that the combination is dangerous - my GP says no but I am not convinced because the reductil package says not to take antidepressants at the same time?
Any advice/experiences welcome ta!
Mrs P

bab
11-11-08, 20:37
hi mrs p - im sorry i cant offer you any advice. were you put on it for wight gain - im on escitalopram and desperate to lose weight

Karen
12-11-08, 00:34
Hi Mrs Pink

:welcome: to NMP

Redutil is an anti-obesity drug. Where you prescribed it to help you lose weight? If you are concerned about about the combination of drugs I would suggest you speak to your doctor again.

Karen xx

Mrs Pink
12-11-08, 20:09
Yes I was prescribed it to lose weight. I have been on prozac and sertraline in the past (most of my adult life I have been on "something") and was also on the depoprovera contraceptive injection for years.... so for various reasons (including binge eating) I have piled on 8 stones in the past 15 years (I am 40 and 5'11) taking me up to nearly 20st!!!
I was on Acomplia for a few weeks and lost 13lbs then it was withdrawn from the market ...so GP gave me reductil instead.
He reckoned it would help my depression/self esteem if I could lose weight. Here's hoping! However as I said I am worried about serotonin syndrome ...
Just one damn thing after another, ain't it?:)

bab
12-11-08, 20:38
Its so depressing piling on the weight I know how you feel - does resuctil affect serotonin? I only think you get serotonin syndrome by combining ssris

bab
12-11-08, 20:42
mrs P - i have just had a quick read and it says some ssris interact with reductil so i would double check - but then i am no medical expert and the doc wouldnt have prescribed it it if was dangerous - i am going to ask for xenical as that does not have affect on brain - its directly linked to stomach - sorry i cant be more help and i hope i havent worried you more

Mrs Pink
13-11-08, 19:56
Thanks Bab. I know someone who tried xenical - you have to be really careful or you might poo yourself!! Orange oily slime apparently if you eat fat. Nice, eh? But forewarned is forearmed so I'm sure you'll be fine.
I am taking the sibutramine (an SNRI whatever that means) in the morning and escitalopram at night and no ill effects so far ... seeing doc in a fortnight and will ask him again. Thanks for your interest.
BTW apparently sibutramine was originaly trialled as an anti-depressant but it had not much effect on that but people lost weight! It is def curbing my appetite and making me feel full on lots less food.
Mrs P x

Karen
13-11-08, 20:12
I know someone who tried xenical - you have to be really careful or you might poo yourself!! Orange oily slime apparently if you eat fat. Nice, eh?
Yep that's the point of Xenical. It blocks the absorption of a certain amount of fat but if you eat too much you get these nasty side effects. It's supposed to put people off eating fatty foods!

Karen x

bab
13-11-08, 22:13
hhm maybe zenical wont work for me as its the cipralex that has put weight on me not just eating fatty food - maybe nothing will get rid of my 4 stone overweight belly -

SSA181
09-07-09, 17:19
Hello i have been on reductil for a few months now, they are very good at what they do. My experience with it are that they reduce the appitite and they reduce the ammount you taste food. And we all know that if it does not taste of much there is no point in eating it.

I had to come off my Anti-depressants before i went on the as they do affect the brain and some chemical that the brain releases.

I put on 8st when i had a contriceptive implant put in my arm. Not a nice thing to happen, but it has and now i have to sort out the aftermath. There is normally a maximum length of time that you can be on Reductil and that is 2 years. The doc's keep an eye of the weight loss and i get weighed every month.

Not sure if this has helped or hindered :doh:

magpie girl
11-07-09, 20:36
im on cipralex and my gp has put me on orilstat(zenical) i dont have orange oily poo!!!!! youdo have to be more careful what you eat or boy do you pay for it lol