PDA

View Full Version : Nervous/Breathless Symptoms - what illnesses present these problems? Please reply...

Vickid
11-11-08, 21:03
I was just reading on here (which didn't make me feel any better) that it would be wise to go get checked for physical symptoms that may present nervousness and breathing difficulties, before being diagnosed with anxiety.....

I have had a chest x-ray/ECG Scan, Urine Sample. No blood has been asked for because six doctors have said it's anxiety, they've looked in my eyes, ears, checked temperature, everything they have said is showing anxiety. I am eating (although not much, as I was too nervous to eat like I normally do, but lately I have started eating more.

I'm just a bit unsure. I can't breath properly, but the nervousness has faded a bit more each day.

Any advice guys? thanks

Cathy V
11-11-08, 21:30
Hi Vicki. Your breathing is obviously returning to normal when you sleep. If you had a physical problem with your lungs, you wouldnt be able to breathe properly anytime, not just when you are awake. Bad breathing is one of the most common symtoms of anxiety, and if you are focusing on it all day then you are probably over-breathing, shallow breathing instead of more deeply. If the chest wall muscles are tense this will also give you the feeling that you cant expand your lungs enough too.

If your periods are playing up, any pre-mentrual tension will be felt much more than normal because the release of the blood flow hasnt balanced out the hormones, which normally would reduce the tension. You dont mention your age...could you be in your 40s? If so it might be the start of the peri-menopause, which can mess about with hormones for quite a few years until the menopause actually happens. Its worth talking to the doc about this too.

Also there might be a chance that if your meds are not doing anythng for you, then you could be in withdrawal. This is when your body has adapted to whatever dose youve been taking, and now needs a bit more. The symptoms of withdrawal are anxiety. Dont let the docs fob you off, if you are worried and want to talk about things, they must listen to you, thats their job. If not...change the doctor.

Hope this helps
Cathy xxx :)

Vickid
11-11-08, 21:37
Hi Cathy,

Thanks for replying. I'm 29 years old, I only started my period when I was 15 and I'm gay, never had sex with a guy although things like cervical cancer worries me. I think when a person is feeling anxious it's too easy to get carried away. I'm so scared of illnesses like leukemia/heart disease. I have an awful pain in the right side of my body, it is a dull ache, been there about a week, and I came on yesterday. I feel a bit up and down and the breathing is driving me bonkers.

I'm so scared that it isn't just anxiety....... :()

x

Cathy V
11-11-08, 22:02
It sounds like only anxiety to me Vik, honestly.The mind is a powerful thing. Also, even though youve now come on, you were late and had that spotting thing so your hormones are playing up a bit and this will increase tension which leads to the symptoms being more. Try not to worry. I get the breathless feeling too, and the ectopics and its uncomfortable and makes me angry with my body but i know im not really ill coz ive had all the tests. You have to talk to your doc about those meds coz i think they need sorting out....xxx

amu
12-11-08, 22:01
Sounds like textbook anxiety to me, Vick. I have the exact same symptoms (including the pain sometimes) and you saw six doctors, I wouldn't worry about not being checked properly.

Vickid
13-11-08, 14:06
It's just breathing abnormalities and worrying about being seriously ill. I don't know how to get it out of my head :--(

I'm a bit scared, because university are asking me what I'm doing and when I'm going back. I feel absolutely sick of it. I am so scared, scared of having something seriously wrong with me.