PDA

View Full Version : My story is so like Nicola's

loo-be-lou
11-11-08, 23:23
I just couldn't believe the similaries when I read Nicola's story. My panic attacks started in almost exactly the same way. I've never been comfortable driving on motorways, but it was driving on the motorway on business when I had my first real panic attack. It was so bad that two colleagues had to come for me and one had to drive my car home. I just couldn't bring myself to get back on the motorway and drive once I had managed to get off. I completely identify with Nicola's story of the feelings of panic building up as a certain part of a road is approaching. My fear is not of rational risks like what another driver might do or car problems or my own driving skills, it's the fear that I will surely feel panicky and that I will faint and cause an accident. I shake like a leaf and my heart feels like it will burst out of my body. I cannot force myself to drive on a motorway now, as I know that I would feel panicky and have to stop and it might be 20 miles to the next junction when I need to get off IMMEDIATELY. A couple of weeks ago, out of nowhere I got the same feeling on a short dual carriageway close to home and I only just managed to keep it together to where I could pull in and I had to sit in the layby for an hour, alone in the dark, until I felt able to get back in and drive the half mile to my turn off. Like Nicola, I've been prescribed beta-blockers, so I took one and that did help a bit. I was so close to home I felt like abandoning the car and just walking up the embankment and going home. (I think being very tired and drinking two cans of Relentless had triggered that attack - my blood sugar had just crashed down to nothing and the caffeine made me so jumpy - won't touch those energy drinks ever again!). Anyway, I tried to go on that dual carriageway again this week, and got to the roundabout, but chickened out and turned back. This is ridiculous - I used to drive 1000 miles a week on all the motorways in rush-hour and now even the thought of driving to my parents from Bucks to Sheffield on dual-carriageways at Christmas seems beyond me. One issue for me is that I now rarely have occasions where I need to drive long distances, as I work just 12 miles away and have found a role where I don't have to go out on site anymore, so it's all too easy for me to avoid motorways completely most of the time. I know that the more frequently I face fears, the easier it becomes, but motorways something I never do now, and even if I did become comfortable through practice, I would have to find time to go on them every week for the sake of it to maintain it enough to be OK when I had a real reason to go e.g. on holiday or visiting relatives. I have the same feelings on big escalators, and nearly lost it when I had to use the underground abroad. But I kept using it every day for three days, and the third day was so much better than the first. Trouble is, it might be a year or so before I come across such big escalators again, so by that time, my frequent-flyer confidence will most certainly have waned, and I'll remember the fear again.

Patty
12-11-08, 00:57
Hi loo-be-lou,:)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

I also have driving anxiety & had a similar experience like you describe - sitting on a motorway layby for an hour waiting in total fear to get off at the next exit. I haven't been back on a motorway since. I would really like to be able to face this fear in the near future.

Best wishes xx :bighug1:

Veronica H
12-11-08, 09:50
:) You will find comfort and support here.:welcome:

Veronica

weeble40
13-11-08, 00:17
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

pooh
13-11-08, 09:37
Hi there and welcome along to NMP

Pooh x

loo-be-lou
13-11-08, 22:19
Thank you all for your kind words and welcomes.

I thought I was the only one sitting in the lay-by with this problem, Patty.

Mine is so weird, I drive to work on the dual carriageway, but I don't drive back on the same dual carriageway or I get the funny feeling starting. I tried it tonight, I got on the road at work, but immediately chickened out and felt compelled to take the first exit off. I then went on it again from the last junction before home and was fine.

What's also weird, is that if I am going through bad times in my life (like when I was splitting up from my husband), I hardly got the driving anxiety at all because I was pre-occupied with my real problems. Now that I have peace of mind again and I'm very happy in my day to day life, my driving anxiety is really bad.

milly jones
18-11-08, 17:40
a warm welcome to no more panic

milly xx