PDA

View Full Version : Shame and OCD

eveanna
12-11-08, 10:49
I wondered whether anyone else felt a huge amount of shame over their intrusive thoughts and worried terribly about what they mean, are they "me", etc. I personally feel so different from the person I knew myself to be just four months ago, before these hideous thoughts began plaguing my mind. But how to you get over the shame and move on to feel you still deserve happiness and a good life? Any thoughts?:weep:
Many thanks,
Eveanna

bumbles
12-11-08, 10:59
Oh my god yes I do feel like that but I do know they are not the real me and so do you or you would not be so upset.:bighug1:

gtrgrl3369
12-11-08, 14:10
Ia, people with OCD who have thghts that are really upsetting you they are wrong and that is why they are upstting. You know that is not how you are as person and it scares you to have these thoughts. Please remember tat they are only that, thoughts. hey will go away as soon as you dont fear them anymore. I have OCD ad used to get the thoughts, still sometimes, but I dont let them upet me anymore when they pop in so they go away just as quick a they came. Take care.

ade
12-11-08, 16:51
evanna honey bee
we have spoken before and i hope with all my heart you can digest this sentiment; the very fact that you feel this terrible shame illustrates very clearly that you will harm NO ONE .the people who abuse are devoid of such feelings as guilt or responsibility,thats how they can do such terrible things.you are burdened by an excess of such feelings in response to your intrusive thoughts.i have them too.but i am married with two exquisite girls and i have intrusive thoughts a lot.but through being open with my wife we manage and are very happy.just remember,ironically,the feeling of shame is actually proof that you are fine and a safe person
bless honey bee an ocean of love ade x:flowers:

hold your head up high honey xx

eveanna
14-11-08, 06:32
Dear Ade,
I cannot thank you enough for your consistently kind words in this forum. Honestly, you've helped so much! The mere fact that I am going through this, and I am the last person on earth to ever do something like that - yet it has beaten me down to the point where I am constantly on edge about it - shows how stupid OCD can be. I am seeing someone now and the road to recovery is beginning....I am feeling so much better already and starting to view what i first believed to be "evidence" as all smoke and mirrors. it helps a lot!
How are you going? have you fully recovered now? are you happy in yourself? i hope so. I owe you a lot - when i couldn't tell anyone you brought me some hope through this condition ocd. many thanks eveanna

sunshine02
16-11-08, 15:35
I am so glad you posted this. I am dealing with this exact issue today! I try to remind myself that they are only thoughts, I would NEVER do them, and the fact that I hate myself for having them means its not really me. But then that horrible self doubting voice pops up and says "since you keep having them and can't get rid of them this must be the real you. these thoughts must really be what you want." I am having such a hard time combatting that thought!! How do you deal with that? The shame I feel is so intense. I don't know how to quiet that voice that says these thoughts are really me.

eveanna
17-11-08, 00:05
Hi there,
I think what really helped me was seeking professional help - a very kind psychiatrist labelled the exact differences between the worries I had and the type of person who typically does such things. At every point, it was really clear that I wasn't that person. Plus, she told me that shame and OCD go hand in hand - so if you're ever thinking "oh my goodness I'm the most terrible person in the world", tell yourself it's just that old OCD making you feel ashamed. these things aren't really you. and try to recognise your good points aside from the worries you have right now - that helps too:hugs: .
xxxxx

london
17-11-08, 03:34
shame ? why its illness , your not shamed of the flu are you
dont worry over people , you never asked for ocd if thay dont like it well you know what to tell them
dont worry