PDA

View Full Version : Traffic jams

Granny Primark
12-11-08, 11:45
Is anyone else like me?
I had my first panic attack over 3 years ago whilst stuck in traffic.
And I am absolutely petrified of being stuck in a traffic jam.
This morning I took my daughter to work and the traffic was horrendous. Normally it takes me 15 to 20 mins to do the round trip. It took me almost 50 minutes today.
There are so many road works in the area its unreal.
At one point I stopped the car and burst into tears telling her I could go no further and would she get a taxi. However in the end I braved it out.
Its now almost 3 hours ago and im still shaking.
Luckily I look after my grandaughter so having to take care of her has helped me take my mind off it.
My hubby will take my daughter to work tomorrow cus hes got the day off but im already dreading Friday.
Do I tell her to get a bus us taxi or do I just hope the traffic isnt as bad as today?

sheena
12-11-08, 13:38
Hi Lynn

I am the same in traffic jams because I feel that I cannot escape.

It is really affecting you and you don't want to end up going backwards in your progress so I would say, yes, explain to her your problem and tell her she will have to get the bus.

Sheena

titchjd
12-11-08, 14:21
Hiya hun ...hope u are well.

Its not so much the Traffic Jam hun its the feeling and thoughts that you cant escape which us anxiety sufferers need 2 do ...or think we do .

I know its very very hard when something makes you feel so bad but the only way you will ever overcome it is to do it again ....Look you did it 2day ..ok it wasnt easy it was horrible but you did it ..you didnt tell her 2 get a taxi you managed the journey ....so you can do it again ......So my opinion is that you try again hun and remember nothing bad can happen just horrid feelings and thoughts that wont hurt you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hugs hunny x:hugs:

PUGLETMUM
12-11-08, 15:16
:) yep me too:wacko: some of my worst initial panics were because of traffic, and i still struggle with it now, especially on motorways or out of town where you dont know alternative routes.

if your journey takes 15 to 20 mins then thats prob around the 10 mile mark i would guess? so the way ive dealt with this one is by reminding myself that it isnt that far from home and if i needed to i could just take the car somewhere quiet and wait for it to pass, maybe sit back and try to relax, listen to the radio, do some deep breaths, amaybe even ge tout and go for a little walk to let it pass?

i know these measures seem drastic/stupid, but they give you the space you need to see that you arent really trapped and yo arent that far from home.

i went to blackpool one saturday night a few weeks back, and we got stuck, i was really upset, but i wasnt really scared though because i knew i wouldnt die even if we did have to sit there for ages. i knew that i wasnt really trapped and that i would be okay even if i did have anxiety/panic.

but it has been one of my biggest problems also, please dont not go on friday, you have made massive progress and you can do it regardless of the traffic/how you feel - somehow you have to accept that you will fell bad, but do it anyway? thats the way through in my experience, not expecting it to be easy/comfortable? tc,and hope it goes okay, emma:yesyes:

andie73
12-11-08, 15:23
Hi

I get this too. I have on many occasions been late for work cos I've had a panic attack whilst stuck in traffic and turned round driven half the way home, only to turn round again and drive back! I try anything to distract myself, listening to radio, singing, jotting down a shopping list (only whenI'm at a stand still). It's awful. But I wouldn't avoid taking your daughter to work on Friday. It was awful for you today but you did survive and you got your daughter to work, so you carried out what you needed to do. I would give yourself a big pat on the back, and try not to make a monster out of Friday.

Take her to work and try to say wot's the worst that can happen? Can't be any worse than today and you survived to tell the tale. If you avoid it on Friday you will feel like you have took the easy way out and the pa's have won. It's NOT the traffic jam that has made you panic, it's your thoughts. You can do this, but only by facing it again and again and again.

Take care and Good luck

Seffie
12-11-08, 18:18
Hi Granny P!
just wanted to say you're definitely not alone in this. I work in Birmingham & just recently with schools & colleges back & Xmas shoppers the traffic has been awful. Yesterday I left work at 5:15 & I didn't get home until 6:50, it usually takes 40-50 mins.

The traffic in the city centre was almost at a standstill, it was dark & I could feel myself starting to panic & I started hyperventilating which of course then brings on more horrible symptoms. I then start to panic about the panic & what it's doing to me!

Then today I was telling a couple of people about it & even that made the symptoms come on. I have to drive to work again this week & like you, am dreading it but I know that I can't avoid it, I have to learn to face it & learn to cope again. I've done it before & I know I can do it again.

I can understand your worry about Friday & that you want to avoid it but we all know that running from our fears isn't the answer & will keep it going. However, it's your decision & you have to do what feels right for you, maybe you just need afew days to recover & build up your courage again.

The other night in the traffic jam I kept telling myself 'I bet there's at least one other person in this traffic jam feeling as awful as I do right now!'
Good luck whatever you decide to do!
Take care
Seffie x

belle
13-11-08, 11:53
I am not a lover of traffic jams or when you're queuing up for petrol and you're boxed in and the driver infront doesn't move forward to the available pump...GRRR...

..anyway, when i am in a traffic jam, i tend to leave just enough room between me and the next car so i can get out and turn round IF needed.

Bottom line today, is that you DID cope... :) Well done!

x

Allye
13-11-08, 17:32
You are definately not alone. When my PAs were at their worst I used to drive miles and miles down side roads just in case I got stuck in traffic. In my case it was two fold - the feeling of not being able to escape plus on a side road I could just pull off and no one would notice and I would not be so embarrassed.

I have got a bit better - depends on the time of the month (hormones play havoc with me). I find turning the radio right up and singing is a good distraction technique.

Take Care

dottedllama
15-11-08, 14:52
I have exactly the same "quirk" with traffic, and jams in particular. I've found the best way to distract myself from freaking out is to sing. Loudly. And mostly off key.

I've got a playlist on my ipod that is strictly loud happy songs, hairbrush anthems if you will. And if I feel myself start to get tight and jumpy over the traffic I crank up the music and sing like a crazy person. I had problems at first because I was worried people were looking at me, but eventually the relief was so great that I don't care as much. Besides, they can think I'm a bit silly for singing or they can think I'm crazy for collapsing on the side of the road in a pile of twitches. Sometimes even my wife joins in. (with the singing, not the twitches)

PUGLETMUM
17-11-08, 09:48
:yesyes: lol, yeah why is it that this fear is sometimes also linked to being 'seen'? well it must be becasue we are trapped and if we were soooooo anxious as to act hysterical then obviously others would 'see' us, but i find that its this fear of being 'seen' that makes the whole thing worse?