PDA

View Full Version : Operation after MRI results

kittykat
12-11-08, 20:33
Hi guys,

Really freaked here, as you know went for an mri on monday, well had a phone call from docs this evening stating that the results had come back and I need an urgent op on my back. :weep:
She was forwarding results on to the ortho guys at Edinburgh Western and they will be phoning me either tomorrow or Friday.
The mri is showing 2 bulges in my discs lower spine but one of them is 2cm this is the problematic one, they are scared in case it bulges any more on my nerves.
I'm so scared ive just lost my mum 7 weeks ago to an op that went wrong, and ive never had an op so am also really scared of the aneasthetic, i also asked the doc if she thought it was a tumour as this was my fear she said that there was no indication of that ,so does that mean it is just definately disc bulge.
I'm sitting here shaking and feeling really sick, I d'ont know how i'm going to cope with this, i d'ont want an op :scared15:

ElizabethJane
12-11-08, 21:54
I'm really sorry that you have to have an operation on your back. It is completely natural to feel anxious and upset about this. Will there be time time before the op to talk to the consultant about your fears and anxieties. I have had a major op last year and a relatively minor one this year. It definitely helped to talk about my fears. If the panic is overwhelming at the moment could you postpone the operation?

HeatherMc
12-11-08, 22:06
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Just wanted to send you a few hugs hun, I cannot really offer you any positive advice as I have had two very minor ops in my life both over 15 years ago, I think if I had to have one now I would be terrified such is my anxiety at the moment.

You mention losing your mum, I think any one with any soul would be feeling the way you are right now it is a natural part of human nature.

Heather

rosy
12-11-08, 22:50
Hi kittykat:)

Just to let you know that I read your message and I do feel for you.

I have Stage I multiple myeloma (bone marrow cancer) and for the last five months or so have literally been unable to walk along the road without feeling dizzy.

I have now asked my consultant for investigations which hopefully will be carried out as i have become agoraphobic.

Anyway enough about me. Dont worry about the operation, ive had a few and theyve all been ok. When they want to do the anaesthetic, try counting out loud in threes from 100 downwards.

I would like to know, what were your symptoms before you had the mri. I have 2 squashed vertebrae and a curved (inward) spine.

I wish you all the best.
Love from Rosy

countrygirl
12-11-08, 23:09
when you see the ortho Dr's get them to explain how urgent it is for you to have your op. If you are at risk of paraylsis then you really have no choice but otherwise you may be able to see how it goes. also I would ask to be referred to a neurosurgeon for the op rather than orthopeadic as the neurosurgoens are the best and most trained for operating on spines.

I see a neurosurgeon because of spinal problems and lots of other Dr's have told me to only let a neurosurgeon operate on me and if lots of other Dr's say that I think I will believe them!

I really feel for you and the thought of it is very scary. My neurosurgeon said to me that if I was at risk of paralysis or I just could not live with the pain after trying all pain treatments then those are only reasons for operating so bear this in mind.

kittykat
12-11-08, 23:14
Hi countrygirl

have you had problems with your back, just with you referring about the neurosurgeon which is really good advice xx

charsey
13-11-08, 01:11
I really feel for you, i just really wanted to wish you all the best. x x x x

lamentinglaura
13-11-08, 03:38
I had a major back operation 2 years ago for a total prolapse of a disk in my lower back. I know you're probably very scared right now but you'll be fine. If I can go through surgery with my extreme health anxiety, anyone can. As hard as it is, please try to relax and think positive thoughts. You wouldn't want to have nerve damage due to letting this go any further, Best of luck.

joyce1980
13-11-08, 11:33
Hi kittykat:)

Just to let you know that I read your message and I do feel for you.

I have Stage I multiple myeloma (bone marrow cancer) and for the last five months or so have literally been unable to walk along the road without feeling dizzy.

I have now asked my consultant for investigations which hopefully will be carried out as i have become agoraphobic.

Anyway enough about me. Dont worry about the operation, ive had a few and theyve all been ok. When they want to do the anaesthetic, try counting out loud in threes from 100 downwards.

I would like to know, what were your symptoms before you had the mri. I have 2 squashed vertebrae and a curved (inward) spine.

I wish you all the best.
Love from Rosy

Rosy are you going to be ok? I would like to send a hug :hugs: I hope you are able to get out and enjoy the outside soon.

kittykat
13-11-08, 12:24
hi, rosy,
sorry a didn't reply been uptight, i have bad leg tingling and bad pain in my left leg also have partial leg and foot numbness in my right leg as well, but i cant really walk or stand for long at the moment, hope you are feeling okay and i can sympathise with the not walking part.....xx

titch
13-11-08, 13:20
Hey hun just wanted to say i am thinking of u hun...i know you dont want the op but if its gunna help yano...huggles to you hun..if u ever need a chat or a moan just pm me...xxxxxxxxxxx:bighug1: :bighug1: