PDA

View Full Version : Should I Increase or Stick?

nicgrace
13-11-08, 11:21
Hi All,

Can anyone advise what the side effects (if any) are if I was to increase my 20mg Fluoxetine to 40mg and anything else I should consider before upping my levels?

I have been on the 20mg since September and although I feel a lot better my anxiety seems to increase when I am away from my comfort blanket (i.e my normal day to day things like work etc) and the thing that I am worrying about at the moment is I am due to Fly to Australia on Xmas Day and already anxious about being away (and ruining the holiday for everyone!)

My GP said he can give me extra diazipam for the flight and thinks the increase would help whilst away and can always decrease in the New Year?

Any suggestions would help?

Thanks all

Nic x

nicgrace
18-11-08, 11:01
I would really appreciate any advice on upping my dose?

I need to give my GP an answer tomorrow

Thanks x

hoover
18-11-08, 13:26
Nicgrace.
Maybe if you are feeling an improvement on the 20mg you should stick with it and use the other meds for cases of anxiety.I Guess i depends how exposed you will be to situations that induce anxiety when you are away . Are you able to try a dose of 40mgs before you go away ? That way you can switch before you go ?
Sorry I cant be more help...anti d's are really confusing!its so hard to know what is right and what is the best plan !
hoover.
ps.im thinking of upping my 20mg to 40mg so if you do switch keep me posted on the results!

Mudskipper
18-11-08, 13:29
I went from 20 to 40 to cope with a particularly distressing episode and it did help. The only downside for me was that it made me very tired, so driving was out for the duration as I was afraid of dozing off at the wheel. Went back onto 20 about a month later and I've stuck at that since. Worth a try in your case perhaps, particularly if you start now and give the increased dose a chance to work. You may even find that you don't need the diazepam.

Hope this helps.

nicgrace
18-11-08, 14:02
Thanks Hoover & Mudskipper...I really appreciate your comments.

I dont quite fancy being more tired than I am already so might stick with 20mg......its so confusing isnt it!?

I usually take 2mg diazipam when anxiety gets its ugly head on but my GP did say a 5mg might be better.

I will have a chat tomorrow and see what my GP thinks.

Thanks again

Nic x