PDA

View Full Version : Bowel cancer scare :(

amu
13-11-08, 14:52
Hi - long story

I noticed back in February or March that the right side of my abdomen was swollen and I could even feel a large longish lump on that side. My father died of bowel cancer (with no symptoms until immediately before his death) plus I have HA so you can imagine that it was quite a trauma. I went to see my GP but he said he couldn't feel anything that shouldn't be there. Later I started having pain on that side (to admit it might have had something to do with me constantly pressing the area), and also I had diarrhoea sometimes (could have been from the constant panic though) so I went back to the GP with the pain symptom, he again felt my stomach and said it felt normal.
I'm not originally from the UK and in the summer I visited my home country where I got an abdominal ultrasound which was clear and I had a thorough blood test and the results were perfect, no anaemia, nothing. This calmed me and other symptoms (diarrhoea, pain) completely disappeared. Soon I became worried again about the lump and this time I started feeling breathless. I read stories on how right side bowel cancer often has no symptoms except for breathlessness and tiredness from anaemia and despite the clear blood test I've been in a complete freakout in the past month and torn between wanting to have more tests and knowing that I have HA and a tendency to exaggerate my symptoms.
Finally today I read an online blog about a guy who felt exactly the same - lump on the right side, and he described it to be similar to mine - which turned out to be terminal bowel cancer, and he died since.
This was such a shock, I've just called my GP and got an appointment for tomorrow. I'm in a complete state with worry over my family and death and long-term sickness, don't know what to do... if it is indeed cancer, how can they not have picked it up? We're not talking about a small lump, it's huge. But I'm in doubt as I wrote to another doctor in my home country asking for advice and she said that the ultrasound would have picked up something that big and suggested that it could be that I have a weak abdominal wall and in some positions the pressure causes it to look uneven. Help! I'm making myself sick with worry...

Jan63
13-11-08, 15:08
I think the ultra sound would definitely have picked up anything abnormal.:hugs: Maybe ask your doctor if you can have a stool test because I think this tests for bowel cancer cos I think they are sending kits out in our area to everyone over 60 and it's meant to be just a simple test. I think you are just feeling anxious because your dad died of bowel cancer. How old was he when he died? I suppose it doesn't always follow that we die of what our parents die of because I know my mums mum died of a massive heart attack at 56 years old and yet my mum never had any problems with her heart and died at nearly 81 due to emphysema but her heart was always strong.

Try and point out to the doctor where you think the lump is and then he will be able to tell you what it is that you are feeling.

Hope the doctor can reassure you tomorrow.:hugs: :hugs:

Trixie
13-11-08, 15:12
Do you think it was the large bowel you could feel?

amu
13-11-08, 15:16
Thanks for the hugs, I needed them! :)

My dad was 49 when he died, so very young for this type of cancer. He was an alcoholic, which probably didn't help, and his brother is now 60 and healthy. I'm 27 now - I know I'm young but I've read a lot of stories of people in their twenties having bowel cancer :weep:

amu
13-11-08, 15:19
Trixie: it could be as I wouldn't say it feels completely out of place, but I can't feel it on the other side (or, well, I can sometimes feel something similar but it's tiny there in comparison) - what worries me is that it's very visible, my belly is completely uneven.

yanksforever
13-11-08, 15:29
First of all, why are you reading thigs about this online? That's not a healthy thing to do hun! You're over investigating and reading too thoroughly about this so of course you're gonna remain worried and anxious. Stop reading up on it!

Also if there was something going on, they would have picked it up. The truth is you're far too young for any type of cancer.

The lump you feel can be ANYTHING. We are full oe guts and intestines and muscles and tons of flesh.

I had a high LFT result back in June and the next day I was scheduled for an ultrasound of the abdominal area and when the lady hit upon my liver, I basically jumped with fear because I thought it would look swollen and show something wrong...the lady told me right away she didnt see a thing and all my organs look normal, if there was something they would have found it!!!

Now relax and stop reading stuff about it online.

Trixie
13-11-08, 15:34
Trixie: it could be as I wouldn't say it feels completely out of place, but I can't feel it on the other side (or, well, I can sometimes feel something similar but it's tiny there in comparison) - what worries me is that it's very visible, my belly is completely uneven.

Perhaps at the time there was a build up of faeces.

amu
13-11-08, 15:35
Yes, online, e.g. in medical and health sites...:blush: I'm trying to separate real-life serious problems from those created by my anxious mind, and when in doubt I need something tangible, like an evidence that helps me think objectively about my symptoms.
And when I can only find evidence that points to impending doom, I panic, like today...

amu
13-11-08, 21:27
I feel awful right now and I'll have to face my GP tomorrow and probably tests and insecurity afterwards. I'm driving my family crazy, my mum and my boyfriend have kept reassuring me until now but they are tired of this and I think I got them worried for me now. Today is definitely the lowest point for me (so far anyway) and I keep reading cancer sites and how to cope with it and how to come to terms with death etc. :unsure:

Jan63
13-11-08, 21:45
Aww I understand just how you feel at the moment. I've got a doctors appointment tomorrow too. Please don't read those cancer sites because you will only make yourself worse.:hugs: :hugs: I really think that if you have had all those tests that there is nothing wrong and that it's just your mind and anxiety playing tricks on you. It's so easy to feel ill when your anxious and worried.:hugs: I have a pain near my ovary and I keep thinking the worse too but then I tell myself I'm being really stupid. There are so many other things that we can have wrong with us that are a lot less serious but we always come back to cancer don't we.:hugs:

Please try not to worry, you will be okay.:hugs:

amu
13-11-08, 22:03
Thank you :flowers:
I'm sure too that you will be fine - as far as I know, ovarian cancer doesn't usually hurt.

amu
14-11-08, 10:26
Just back from the doctor's - she couldn't feel anything obvious (thank God), she did a vaginal exam as well and the ovaries are the right size too. She's sending me for an ultrasound just to be sure. I guess I can just go about with life until then and stop prodding my stomach.:blush:
Thanks for all the kind answers and help.:hugs:

jojo2316
14-11-08, 15:12
Just out of interest - is the lump long and smoothish and mobile...... can you sort of wobble it with your fingers? And is it sometimes easy to feel and sometimes not there at all?

If so, I get it too - only mine is on my left side. My doctor can never feel it (because it isn't there when he tries) and has no explanation for it ...... but my brother (who is a vet) says it is either poo, or my gut wall contracting periodically.

Hope you feel better soon...x

Ddcoo
14-11-08, 15:38
when I was a long younger and a lot THINNER and was about your age, I used to get the same as you - like a sausage shape in the right hand lower part of my tummy, and guess what it was ..... the faeces going through my bowel, so please don't worry any more about it. Of course I am a lot older and a lot fatter now and don't notice it. I am sure it will be the same as I had.

amu
14-11-08, 17:02
Jojo&Ddcoo: yes, it feels exactly like both of you described it. My concern is that it's sometimes very visible - of course it wasn't visible this morning at the doctor's.:doh: She said if it comes and goes it most likely isn't cancer. I'm sort of average weight, or well I might be a little bit overweight but the excess fat is concentrated on my bum & thighs rather than my belly.:blush: I guess if I had more fat there I wouldn't be able to see it.

Thanks for both of your answers, feels great to know others have this too. :hugs:

In my home country there is a new test available for bowel cancer. It is a stool test but it tests for some kind of enzyme rather than blood and it is much more accurate. It's only available through private healthcare but it's not too expensive, about £30. Might get it done when I'm over there for Christmas - bit of a better screening method than colonoscopy for people who have cancer risk but no symptoms yet. Wonder if this will be available in the UK at some point?

Jan63
14-11-08, 17:07
I'm sure this test is available here because our health authority were sending out kits for the over 60's to test for bowel cancer a couple of months ago. I think the doctors could probably do this test although it would have to be sent to the labs at the hospital I think.

amu
14-11-08, 17:25
I think (not 100% sure though) that the NHS currently just sends out the occult blood test, which is also an excellent test for people who don't have symptoms, I read somewhere that its sensitivity is 60% (60% of those who have cancer get a positive result). This new test apparently has an average sensitivity of 85% or so, which makes it second best to colonoscopy.

amu
14-11-08, 17:27
PS: clearly I've read too much about this, will stop for a while :winks:

Jan63
14-11-08, 17:46
:roflmao:

Jan63
14-11-08, 17:47
Well I've been to the doctors and asked her if she could feel my tummy cos I had convinced myself that I must have ovarian cancer cos I had a little pain on the side where my ovary is. She had a good feel and can't feel anything so I'm feeling quite relieved. She's refering me for CBT or something although I haven't a clue what it is.:huh:

Jan63
14-11-08, 17:54
I think (not 100% sure though) that the NHS currently just sends out the occult blood test, which is also an excellent test for people who don't have symptoms, I read somewhere that its sensitivity is 60% (60% of those who have cancer get a positive result). This new test apparently has an average sensitivity of 85% or so, which makes it second best to colonoscopy.
No it is a stool test - thought it was but wasn't sure but you can read about it here.

http://www.malehealth.co.uk/userpage1.cfm?item_id=2470

amu
14-11-08, 18:59
This is great news! :flowers: CBT as in anxiety therapy? I wish I was referred to CBT or some other kind of psychoterapy but I haven't told her about my anxiety properly :unsure:

With regards to the test - yeah by occult blood test I meant a stool test that shows whether there is blood in the stools.
On the other hand the test I mentioned shows some kind of an enzyme. This is it:
http://www.schebo.com/index.php?p_id=2739&p=13

pinkpiglet
14-11-08, 20:11
Hey amu, i like you are very worried about bowel cancer and also ovarian. Not sure what to think. Been to see my new G.P this evening who was lovely (proper doctor material) i told him about my painful glands and the pains in my right lower abdomen (which sterted yesterday) but i could not bring myself to tell him about my bouts of diarrorea and the numb pain in my cocksit (is this how you spell it) area. Just about my bottom. Or about my piles and blood in my stools for over three years now (on and off but worse a lately). My G.P says he would like me to have a full fasting blood count to check for underlying things. To be honest i am terrified of what they will find and I cant get my bloods done for over a week (due to them been fasting). I am hiding my fear from my OH and my family. there is no one i can open up to about this. But i am frightened as i really think that i have bowel cancer, i am convinced that it will be too advanced to treat and that i will die. Also, my dads family have a high rate of aggressive ovarian cancer and i'm worried it could be this.
I am sorry i have hijacked your thread, but i just wanted to say that i am scared too. It's frightening me silly.

amu
16-11-08, 21:10
Hi pinkpiglet, what I usually use to calm myself is that cancer doesn't usually hurt, so if all I feel is pain it is likely either something like inflammation or it's just caused by me obsessing about that particular area. let us know how the blood test went!:flowers:

pinkpiglet
16-11-08, 22:17
Thanks amu. but enough about me. This is your thread!
How are you feeling today?

amu
17-11-08, 11:51
Much better since my GP visit, as she's the third doctor in 6 months who cannot feel the lump I feel. I concluded there's no lump. :blush: I decided to get tested and I'm getting an ultrasound so that should clear things up and I'm quite hopeful today...:winks: This might change tomorrow but I can really see my symptoms from another point of view now.

amu
02-12-08, 16:06
I can't believe how calm I sounded in my previous post... I was happy and symptomless for three days, then for some reason I started worrying again and kept pressing my abdomen. And now I managed to get worse - for about a week now I've had sharp pains in my lower right abdomen where the "lump" is (which might not exist), I can feel the pain whenever I suddenly move, or when I sit down or stand up or go to the toilet. It can't be ovary pain or whatever because why the hell would it come up now at the exact same place I've been worried about for ages?
I'm convinced again that I have bowel cancer and my bowels will be perforated :weep: I can feel weird air bubbles moving in that area too. My bowel movements are fine, once a day normal looking. Then how is this possible?? Meanwhile it feels soft when I press it, there's no obvious change or anything, but it's very painful. What could it be, did I bruise my belly by pressing it?? Can't wait for the ultrasound and the test and I keep assuming the worst:weep:

Jan63
02-12-08, 17:59
I'm sure if there was a lump that shouldn't be there your doctors would find it.:hugs: I think you have just got really anxious and worked up.:hugs: I know how you feel because I was like this last Friday and Saturday because I had a pain under my ribs and near my hip and I was convinced it was some kind of cancer but once I made my mind up that I wasn't going to think about it and got on with doing other things then the pain just went as suddenly as it came. I have started taking those Kalms tablets and I feel so much calmer and less anxious and pain free at the moment too.:winks:

I have also found that the more you press somewhere that the sorer it gets and then you convince yourself it's sore because its some awful disease - I have done exactly the same. I am refusing to look for lumps and bumps now though.:whistles:

amu
02-12-08, 18:50
I hope you're right... the same thing happened to me this summer when I hard really bad cramps every day, then after the clear ultrasound they were gone within a week. :blush: I can't even remember properly how these new pains came up... I remember being completely pain-free after the doctor's reassurance kick, but then I still kept pressing and then it just started to hurt again, but differently.
I've decided that I won't touch it for 24 hours whatever I feel, even if baby frogs jump out of my stomach.:) See what happens...
So the Kalms tablets really work...?

Jan63
02-12-08, 20:21
Well I don't know but I've been taking them since Saturday night and I have certainly felt a lot better and not worrying about my health all the time.:shrug:
It's so hard to believe that all these pains are in our minds isn't it but they are.:huh:

amu
04-12-08, 15:17
Ugh I hate this feeling. I still feel a vague pain in my abdomen near the hip bone when I make a sudden movement, also there is a lot of gurgling in my bowels on that side which of course makes me worried about an obstruction.:scared15: Going to the toilet doesn't seem to hurt anymore though.
I'm in a complete state over this... but I did buy some Kalms tablets!:blush:

Jan63
04-12-08, 15:43
I had that pain near my hip bone last week - I'm sure it's trapped wind and anxiety because it went when I got calmer and stopped worrying.:whistles: I've also had that gurgling too which apparently is a symptom of IBS.