PDA

View Full Version : anxious need some reasurance from my friends here

Sarah-Jane
14-06-05, 04:08
Hi everyone

Got up at 2am this morning been restless, coughing being sick ended up having a bath to relax its now 4am and am shaking etc etc same pooh again huh! Well im going to spain on wednesday for 2 weeks and am worrying about flying YET AGAIN! pre-panic times i always loved flying and regarded it as part of my holiday but had a panic on my last flight to spain in december 04 and now get the feeling of being claustrophobic on a flight and panic symptoms lumps in my throat cant breathe etc etc and the feeling like oh no i gotta get off the plane before the damn thing takes off! im sure you know what im saying... anyway have got some more diazapam off my doctor am mad with myself now cos ive been doing so well lately and just feel im getting myself into a state again at a time when i should be winding down for my holiday and having fun. i feel useless and such a wimp HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP! i know how to cope with a panic attack now and day to day life has been good lately and i know the plane isnt going to crash thats not my problem its the symptoms im getting as i said at the begining of my message.

Love & Hugs from Sarah-Jane xxxx

josiepickle
14-06-05, 05:14
Hi Sarah- Jane

You know you can get through the flight and enjoy a great holiday. Try not to let the build up spoil your preperations.
I also get a bit freaked out when going away but it always turns out to NOT be as bad as I expected.
I was awake from 2 o'clock onwards this morn as well worrying myself silly about various ailments that I don'nt think I really have!!!!

Have a great time
Jo xx

Karen
14-06-05, 05:52
Hi Sarah-Jane

Sorry you've had a bad night. I hope you managed to get some sleep eventually.

There is no need to feel annoyed with yourself for getting anxious about the flight or for needing to get some Diazepam from your doctor. This is just being prepared which isn't a bad thing.

Just try to concentrate on getting together things that will help you cope with the flight. You already have the medication on stand by, and could also take rescue remedy and items to help distract yourself before and during the flight, eg books to read, a walkman to listen to music, puzzle books etc.

Quite often it is anticipatory anxiety which is the worst and once the time comes it won't be as bad as you are imagining. Concentrate on the lovely time you are going to have on holiday once you arrive.

Hope you have a great time.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Insomniac
14-06-05, 07:13
Hiya.

I know that feeling. I've taken diazapam to go to the dentist! Don't give yourself a hard time. Flying is more scary (to me).

I'm going to Cornwall again this summer and worrying about it already. It was going there last summer that I had my first real attack. So I totally sympathise with you.

Don't give yourself a hard time. What is relaxation for one person is a break from routine and challenge for another. If you got travel sick and took pills you wouldn't give yourself a hard time. Don't give in to bad thoughts.

Hope you got some sleep in the end.

Insomniac.

angieb
14-06-05, 08:16
Hi Sarah Jane, I had the exact same blip about three days before my holiday to France...LOL[^]

Go into success stories and read about how I coped...you will benefit so much from your holiday. Meg said to me that I would be OK because I know so much more know about how to handle rising panic and she was correct.

Try to zone out on the plane, pretend you are not even on a plane, stick the TV on with earphones, get a big back of sweeties and refuse to acknowledge what you are doing until you land. I did this on the Ferry and it worked a treat.

Lots of deep breathing, happy holiday images in your head, it will be over before you know it.

Take care and have a great time, let us know how it went when you get back.

Big hug...Angie

Sarah-Jane
14-06-05, 09:49
Am abasloutley washed out this morning finally got to sleep at about 530 this morning and then was up again to get kids off to school thanks everyone for your replies will let u know how i get on when i get back am flying out tomorrow afternoon.

Love & Hugs from Sarah-Jane xxxx

EmmaJane
14-06-05, 09:53
Good luck Sarah, we will be thinking of you

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

pips
14-06-05, 12:56
Hi Emma Jane,

I know how you feel hun I not keen on flying it's the claustrophobic and being trapped feeling I hate I never used to suffer like you until i started having panic attacks. I have a 10 hr flight to Florida next month and I'm absolutely dreading it i can tell you. You think we go on holiday to relax??????

Please don't beat yourself up about getting diazapam if you need to take it then do so. You have not failed if you do don't think that hun.

Prepare yourself before hand. Relaxation tape Rescue Remedy water a calming aromatherapy oil like lavender or chammomile put a few drops on a tissue or hanky to inhale. A good book or magazine. A bolied sweet to suck. Everything but the kitchen sink that's what i take anyway. LOL

I do hope you feel better soon and the flight and the holiday goes well for you.

All in all have Fun!

Take care let us know how you got on.

love PIP'S X X

Meg
14-06-05, 14:24
Sarah Jane

**i know how to cope with a panic attack now and day to day life has been good lately **

Hold onto this sentence of yours.Its your progress and your words.

If you can cope with a panic , then you can cope with having one anywhere . In all likelyhood you are too strong to have one as you know how to control one so can also ward one off with distraction and self reassurance..

When I was recovering I always found -maybe even imagined- someone else who looked more terrified than me and kept myself busy with how I would reassure them as well as pure distraction with a survival pack of goodies..

There is no harm in a double gin either before you go .. or a valium -but try to avoid both at once !

Have a good time

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
14-06-05, 14:30
Good luck Sarah

I don't like flying either so I wish you all the luck.

Get a good book to read or something like a puzzle book to take your mind off it.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

carlin
14-06-05, 14:52
Hi Sarah,
Sorry you are feeling so bad right now, exactly a year ago i joined this site with exactly the same problem as you, i was so ill (all anxiety related 'cos i had to go on holls) i printed off lots of info from here, took all my back items for the plane (water cd's anything and everything) on the morning i felt absolutely awful, but i did it ( i don't take any meds) there was actually someone sitting in front of me on the plane who was in a terrible state, i ended up comforting him! i promise i was fine and i had a good holls. People tend to do their own things on the plane, nobody was the slighest bit interested in me (thank goodness) i must admit i did cry when we landed, not cos i thought we'd crash or anything like that, but cos i had done it, and the journey home was fine too. good luck, read all the information here, it will help xxxxxxxxx

henri
14-06-05, 15:30
Hi Sarah-Jane,
I am sure you will be fine (go girl!)
Flying is one of the worst challenges i think, for panic sufferers. I always freak out, but am trying to battle it - i just take loads of stuff to distract me (books, magazines, etc) and make sure i have some diazepam in my pocket just incase. Angie's idea is really good as well.
There are lots of success stories about this - reading them really helped me recently when i had a four hour flight to get through.
Good luck and bon voyage
Henri x

Meg
14-06-05, 16:06
Flying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3092)
flying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1440)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

BrandyK
14-06-05, 18:44
Hi Sarah, I know what you mean. I want to go to California this summer. but dont know if I can. I would probably have panic attack and couldnt get the help I needed.

But if I were you just try without taking the med.. and if you feel really bad take it to calm you down.

I know what you feel like..

Brandy