PDA

View Full Version : if you have children is anxiety a problem?

redballoons
13-11-08, 21:02
hi
I have two children, and am pregnant with my third. I went to the doctors recently because of my anxiety, the health visitor is coming to my house etc. since going i have become totally terrifed that they will think i cant care for my kids or something and im sort of wishing i could take it all back.

If you have kids have you ever got in any trouble for having anxiety etc?

sophie

bottleblond
13-11-08, 21:52
Sweetheart

Just because we have anxiety, does NOT mean we are not normal or can't be good parents.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. As long as you love and care for your kids then that's all that matters,

Loads of love
Lisa
xxxxx
:bighug1:

bab
13-11-08, 22:07
hey redballoons
i suffered severe anxiety in pregnancy and i was lucky that my consultant obstetritcian was amazing - it was just local nhs hospital but they totally understood and i was kept on citalopram all the way through - i saw health visitor, shrink etc and no one suggested i would be a bad parent - no one will my love - i was so worried but anxiety does not equal bad parents as lisa says - dont let that thought make your anxiety worse as you will not be thought of as any worse of a parent than any one else xx

pinkpiglet
13-11-08, 22:46
Hi Sophie, i don't think that anyone will question your ability to care for your children. The health visitor is there to support and observe the whole family. Many mothers suffer from anxiety or depression and it is good that you are been taken seriously. Do not regret your decision to be open & honest. You are been true to yourself and your family and you deserve all the support you can get.

Natural Mystic
14-11-08, 03:35
Sweetheart

Just because we have anxiety, does NOT mean we are not normal or can't be good parents.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. As long as you love and care for your kids then that's all that matters,

Loads of love
Lisa
xxxxx
Hear Hear

Babe trust me it proves that you are a good mum because you've asked for help. Be proud of that.

I am a single mum to a 7 year old and I've suffered since January of this year. It is hard but it doesn't mean we aren't loving and good mums.

redballoons
14-11-08, 08:04
thanks. I just had a complete panic last night because i suddenly thought "what if they call social services?" thinking about it today it doesnt seem so likely :blush: thanks for replying

sophie

lilly-lou
14-11-08, 08:12
I have six kids and was severly agoraphobic when I got pregnant with my 5th child, the midwife, gp and consultant at the hospital all knew this and supported me through my pregnancies, not once did they question that I am a bad mother, just because you have anxiety does't mean that you are a bad mother nor that social services will be informed. Just to add two of my sons have disabilities and I have a social worker from the disabled chi.ldrens team and they know about my anxiety and have always praised me for doing a good job with my kids.

Try not to worry too much and good luck with your pregnancy.

Hugs

Natural Mystic
14-11-08, 09:24
thanks. I just had a complete panic last night because i suddenly thought "what if they call social services?" thinking about it today it doesnt seem so likely :blush: thanks for replying

sophie
When I had a really low few days with this (and no sleep) I went to my doctors and expressed my concern about my mothering skills. Felt so sorry for myself, "am I good enough?" "it's not fair on him that I'm poorly like this at times" "would he be better off with a family and some siblings" etc.etc.

He looked at me and said "Nicola, you have anxiety, you seem to be a good loving mum and no-one is perfect. Trust me that Social Services (I hadn't mentioned them and he said it lightheartedly) will believe that the very best place for your son is with his mummy.

dawn rose
14-11-08, 20:06
hiya i have 2 lil girls i live in fear of not being a good enough mum 2 them and them being taken off me. i have councelling sessions with my health visitor once a fortnight and she is loverly she is able to see that my girls are happy and well looked after. most of my bad feelings are in ma head and i need to fight em ireally do. my kids are not at risk and never have been in fact i hold it together bewtter when they are here with me coz got somat to focus on. i try not to show my anxieties tro em coz there so young. its hard at times it really is. never had any trouble.