PDA

View Full Version : All kinds of Everything....

uryjm
04-12-03, 22:20
....remind me of panic.
As I browsed the forums tonight, reading about situations that have made people panic (babysitting, driving, 3am awakenings) I tried to think of some of the more ridiculous ones I've personally suffered. In no particular order:
A hot bath (I just couldn't get into it)
A scone
The Van Gogh Museum
Public toilets
The Humber Bridge
The River Clyde
An inability to even look at the Eifel Tower
A mime artist
The top of a Helter Skelter (it was a bit wobbly, mind)
[:p]
Maybe if I listed them all, I'd find a theme. There's a good chance it might be "fear". Free floating anxiety. Don't you just love it?

Jim

Lottie32
05-12-03, 08:58
I once freaked out completely on a "cycle rail" (same as a mono rail, but you pedal yourself around), at a childrens amusement park, 9ft in the air.

Fortunately the eight year old I was with has more sense in her little finger than I've ever had in my life, and talked me through it!!!!!

We pedalled as fast as we could whilst she repeated after me, nearly there now, keep looking straight ahead, almost made it back, only a minute left, keep looking to the front.

We even managed a "good deed" up there as the old bloke in front had taken his grand daughter on, who was too small to reach the pedals. Half way round he went bright red, ran out of puff and was progressing at 0.2 miles per day.

Of course this freaked me out even more, because you can't overtake on a mono rail, so we ended up pushing him back!!!!

Moral - I never going to waste me money going to Alton Towers, and always carry a small child with you for times of crisis!!!!!

Charlie

Laurie28
05-12-03, 13:32
I can think of 3 off hand

A book
A banana
a bar of toblerone

i won't go into the reasons(as they are crazy)

Love
lucky

diana
06-12-03, 18:28
Reminds me of a time I totally lost it at my husbands Soccer game. He plays league soccer, I totally lost it, went into full blown attack mode and ran out into the middle of the field whilst a play was in progress, and screamed franticly for my husband to come off of the field and leave with me right then and there or I was going to leave him there. Now remember I was in full blown attack mode, yet I was ready to drive myself out of there ASAP!!! I can laugh now, but talk about people "NOT" noticing when you are having an attack!!!! LOL.... :)

Diana xxxx

nomorepanic
06-12-03, 18:48
Diana

That brought a smile to my face - what a sight it must have been - lol

Nicola

diana
06-12-03, 19:06
Nicola,

You are right, It was a sight indeed!!! :) Luckily though my husband did come off of the field and left, we got maybe a mile up the road, I suddenly felt fine , but was famished. Insisted on eating at a nearby resteraunt, we did then believe it or not I was fine!!!! GO figure ey!!!! :) LOL........ Not so amusing to my husband though, but oh well atleast I survived!!!! LOL..... :)

Diana xxx

sadie
06-12-03, 20:19
Hi all

I have just came back from the cinema tonight..film was good as Colin Farrell was in it 'SWAT' but throughout the whole film I could feel and hear my heart beating soo fast. I always feel quite anxious in the cinema because its dark and noisy and I worry about having to leave quickly.. what if i cant get out, what if i fall down an aisle etc etc etc.

Never mind, I survived again without falling over or whatever and my heart seems to be back to normal...maybe it was just Colin Farrell that was making it palpitate!!

Speak to you all soon.

sadie

diana
06-12-03, 20:43
Hiya Sadie,

Is`nt it always the "WHAT IF`S" that get us the most? I hate that, but I too "WHAT IF" my self to disaster!!!! Good for you, you survived, and even got to see a good movie on top of that. So you are ahead of the game. Hey and Colin Farrell is`nt to bad on the eye either LOL....... I know what you mean about the palpitations over Colin. WOW what a cutie!!!! Thanks for posting to let us know of yet another success story.

Take care,

Diana xxx

uryjm
07-12-03, 19:08
The cinema has always been a bit of a trial for me, ever since I went to see Das Boot in the first stages of my anxiety. The film was pretty claustrophobic anyway (about a German U-boat) and I had to leave at one point to take a breather I was so uncomfortable. It's the loud films that usually get me - Jurassic Park was almost unbearable with all that roaring and stomping about. Like loads of other things that make me anxious, however, I refuse to let the anxiety get in the way of going to the flicks, because it's something that I actually quite enjoy every now and again.

Jim

nomorepanic
07-12-03, 19:29
Good for you Jim

I gave up going to the cinema many years ago cos of the feelings of claustrophobia. I recently went to the theatre and after 30 mins of anxiety I was fine. I am sure I could do the cinema again if I tried.

Nicola

Meg
07-12-03, 19:43
So JFDI Nic !!

Love Actually is fun and moves along well or I'm waiting for Cat -in- the - Hat .

Once you've done it , you'll know you're fine !! One more off the list .

Meg

nomorepanic
07-12-03, 19:55
Thanks Meg

Now everyone will ask what JFDI means - lol

I love horrors - are there any good ones on at the moment?

How much does it cost nowadays - last time I went it was about £2 - lol

Nicola

twister
07-12-03, 20:59
I love the cinema, just sit on the end of a row at first and you could get out in two seconds if you needed to.

Emily

Meg
07-12-03, 21:19
£ 5.25 in Derby

Meg

twister
07-12-03, 21:22
About a tenner in London....

Emily

nomorepanic
07-12-03, 21:35
Wow

Ok now I have a real phobia of cinemas - I would be broke afterwards !!! lol

Nicola

twister
07-12-03, 21:37
dont forget to add in some popcorn at about £3 a shot and as for a drink.....bring your own!

Emily

benoo5
07-12-03, 22:04
nic,dont worry..ime always being told JFDI.

went to see ..love actually..it was great,but ime a huge fan of hugh grant..cost me ten pds.

bryan.

sadie
07-12-03, 22:07
Nic and Bryan

What does JFDI mean??

sadie

Meg
07-12-03, 22:12
Sorry Sadie ,

It's one of mine

Just Do It .

I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sadie
07-12-03, 22:17
Sounds like a good motto to me!!

sadie

Lottie32
08-12-03, 08:52
I don't need to be in the cinema.

I watched Pirates of the Caribean last night at my friends house, and we had pizza half way through. A really nice night, followed by a walk home in the moonlight, which lit up all the frosty trees, beautiful.

I locked up and went to bed, and woke up at 2pm having a nightmare about being in a hotel and being chased by an old lady who was dead but couldn't be killed.

Then I realised that I was "home alone" and started having a really strong feelings of anxiety!!!!

It took ages to calm down, because the house was suddenly making Amytiville noises, and the central heating system suddenly decided to start doing something strange, just as I was dropping off again.

Eventually my breathing exercises paid off, but my shoulder hurts because I couldn't get comfortable after that, as I had to be "facing" my bedroom door. Any attempt to lie another way bought on more anxiety!

Now I feel like sh*t. It's not even a scary film!!!

How sad am I?

Charlie

Meg
08-12-03, 09:03
I learnt ages ago never to go to see violent or scary films.

I had always put it down to not having a TV till I came to England at 15 years old. I was only allowed to watch Rugby, figure skating, The Partidge family, Kids from 34B and Upstairs Downstairs at my Grannys before that on B+W.

Had thought I'd never built up resistance before that but maybe it was me being impressionable....

Are you still anxious or just tired now ?

Meg

Lottie32
08-12-03, 09:27
Hi Meg

Just tired. I can still feel my heart beating, but thats normal (for me) and at least I've not got to worry that I've died of bordeom today at work whilst it's de bum de bum ing away!!!

Was very tired on Saturday, and had quite bad attack on Saturday tea time. I know I'm always worse when I'm tired, but there wasn't a lot I could do about that, the damage already having been done on Friday night.

Started to get quite wound up, then remembered what we had been talking about on the site, and realised that I HAD MADE MYSELF FEEL ILL, by letting my sugar drop. I wasn't convinced that this was really possible, but I raced home, and ate some toast whilst I cooked a tuna pasta bake.

Within a very short space of time, I was fine again!

Thanks for that - a few months ago I would have been roaming round the house, feeling sorry for myself, and not daring to go out or eat, because I felt so bad.

Now I know If I force some food into me, within a very short space of time I'm fine again!!!! I spent an hour chilling out wrapping some presents, then had a shower and went out, as right as rain!!

Had just been very busy so grapped a small potatoe and some salad for lunch, and forgot to take any snacks out with me. Shan't be doing that again in a hurry

Thanks again for the advice Meg

Love

Charlie

Laurie28
08-12-03, 11:09
Hiya All,

I hate scary films (i can't even watch the X files!!)

I watched Lord of the rings and that even spooked me!!

Meg- Where did u come from originally?
Love
Lucky

Meg
08-12-03, 11:23
Lucky,

Born in Nigeria, brought up in Portugal.

Then travelled extensively thereafter.

Worked in Canadian arctic and then Saudi deserts for a few years . I managed it really badly as I was always in Canada for the winter - 40c and Saudi for the summer +45c.

Meg

Laurie28
08-12-03, 11:50
What nationality are u then Meg? - GOD i'm nosy

I was born in Scotland and stayed here ever since

Boring eh!!!

Lucky
PS it's snowing 2 miles down the road from here !!!

Has it reached u guys yet

Meg
08-12-03, 11:55
Are you bored this morning Lucky ?? LOL

I'm British . Proper legal passport, I promise.

No snow here - Mids- very clear and sunny but cat has very cold paws so it must be freezing outside.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
08-12-03, 11:58
Heeeheee how can u tell!!

I shouldn't be I have loads of work to do.

My boss is back tomorrow though so won't be able to post so much (he's been off for a fortnight could u tell!)

I thought I would get in as many posts as possible and get all the goss while I was at it!!

Love
lucky

diana
08-12-03, 22:43
LOL........ The cinema has really increased their rates. Now Nicola I love "your" phrase. I really do not care for the cinema myself, but once in awhile I`ll go just to keep myself able to go and sit through a flick. However the last time I went was like 3 weeks ago to see "GOTHIKA", (which was very good, I thought) I was feeling very anxious, but stayed through till the end. Nic you might actually enjoy that film, it`s pretty scary.............

Diana xxx

nomorepanic
09-12-03, 21:22
Thanks Diana

I love horrors - they don't make me panic or anything so I could cope with it - I love scary thrillers too!

Nicola

benoo5
09-12-03, 22:06
ime really lucky,i hate horror films,full stop.
i only enjoy comedies,and must have over a hundred comedy videos..one of my favs is..kevin and perry abroad..with harry enfield and cathy burke..the erection scenes have me rolling on the floor,every time i see them...bryan.

diana
09-12-03, 22:20
Hey Nicola,

If you get to see the movie(GOTHIKA), let me know how you like it. I really liked it alot, a little scarey though.

Diana xxx