PDA

View Full Version : Advice on food

Gareth
14-06-05, 17:40
Hi,
I am trying to work out a recovery programme from the GAD that I have been suffering with for about 3 months.
One part of the programme that I am struggling with is nutrition. I have heard that it is important to eat regularly, but this is something I have always have difficulty with.
For example, ever since I was a kid I haven't eaten breakfast, and always tended to eat my first food around 1-2pm. I then won't eat again until my evening meal at 7-8pm, and that will be it.
Does anyone know what sort of things I should be eating / how regularly / does anyone have any tips on getting food into the routine for someone who doesn't eat regularly?

Thanks!
Gareth

*** I think, therefore I'm anxious ***

Meg
14-06-05, 17:46
Gareth,
If you're acutely anxious keeping a level blood sugar is vital..

The GI plan is the best one for this. There is a recommended book by Rick Gallop called The GI diet. Essentially teaches you about long term energy V short term energy like simple sugars.

Breakfast is important - not quantity but regular so you could just have a yoghurt as soon as you can face it , with a banana a couple of hours later.

Hypoglycemia (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189)
Gi Diet (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3179)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

chucklehound
14-06-05, 18:48
Yeah eating breakfast even if it be toast is essential to give u energy when u get up. Eating little and often is best and not to eat ur main meal too late in the evening as this could make settling to sleep hard. Eating fruit (people say bananas) instead of sugary foods and crisps.

All the best

Feel free pm me if you want to chat

steno -x-

Piglet
15-06-05, 09:04
I think I was a monkey in a previous life - I eat bananas like they are going out of fashion.

Think I will look into the GI diet that Meg said, too.

Love Piglet

LisaD
15-06-05, 15:06
Hi Gareth,

Nuts are very good for anxiety as well...I carry it around with me always, and nibble whenever I get the chance (even if not hungry!). Just be careful not to get the salted kind.
I used to be like you about breakfast. I like Meg's suggestion of yogurt and a banana which is pretty light. Once I started making myself eat breakfast I soon found that I was hungry for it as soon as I got up.
I have definitely found proper nutrition to be essential to controlling my anxiety...now the only thing that sets off my anxiety is not eating often enough, so good idea to work on this!

xxxLisa