PDA

View Full Version : Our hills

Bill
16-11-08, 02:39
This is something I was taught which I've found has helped me overcome fears.

Imagine you are walking along without a care in the world tackling every obstacle that stands in your way. However, with each obstacle you tackle, a small part sticks to your body until one day the weight becomes too much and you fall over.

You find it too much to pick yourself up as the weight is too heavy and it makes you breathless to attempt it but somehow you stagger back to your feet still carrying the weight that made you fall.

However, instead of the path still flat as before, you now see a hill but you now find it near impossible to climb it. However, at the top of a hill is a tree full of fruit and you are starving so you have to find a way to climb the hill.

You already feel too anxious after your fall but you have no choice than to climb this hill. With every step you take with your heavy load, you become more and more breathless but eventually you reach the top and feed.

However, your body is now exhausted and when you look down the other side of the hill you feel terrified but the fear of staying where you are is greater because you feel so breathless. Therefore, despite your exhaustion, you decide to run down the other side of the hill as fast as you can.

You reach the bottom and feel safer but you want to collapse because the ordeal has been too much to bear. After a while your body has relaxed but you still carry your heavy weight. You begin to feel hungry again but after the ordeal that you've just suffered, you feel you just can't face climbing the next hill for more food.

However, you know that if you don't attempt the climb you'll starve so once again you go through the same ordeal and lay exhausted once more after running down the next hill.

One day though you meet someone else on your path and together you climb the next hill. You sit together at the top of the hill, talking, eating and enjoying the view. During this time you feel the urge to run down the hill again so with this person you both leave.

However, for some reason the next hill doesn't feel so difficult to climb and you feel you're carrying less weight. You climb it together and you find you're able to stay a little longer before having to run back down again.

Gradually, the weight becomes much lighter and the fear of climbing the next hill becomes less. You find that you're able to stay at the top of the hill, even without the support of this person you met. Instead of running down the hill, you take a slow walk as you're enjoying the scenery.

The moral of the story -

The heavy weight is stress that gradually builds up on us without realising it until we break down under the weight which then causes panics every time we try to pick ourselves up again.

Imagine a graph with tall peaks and deep troughs. When we attempt to do something we're afraid of, our anxiety "peaks" which frightens us so we "run away" from our fear which then causes a "trough" because we feel so low from the fear and the effort it took. These create our hills.

If though we stay at the top of the hill, the anxiety Always gradually declines. As it declines our confidence builds, the fear subsides and gradually the heavy weight (stress) falls off so that our hills become easier to climb until once more they become a flat path.

Once the path becomes flat again, we learn that if we tackle too many obstacles, our weight will become too much again which will make us liable to fall again so as a result we learn our limits and how not to take on too much.

As for the person we meet after our fall - the cbt therapist.:hugs:

Veronica H
16-11-08, 08:35
:) Thanks Bill, great post.

Veronica

orangeblossom
16-11-08, 23:17
That was a really wonderful post - thank you!

It really rings home too... I've been feeling very up and down over the last couple of months and reading this makes complete sense to me! I think the next time I begin to feel very overwhelmed, I am going to return to your post and have a read of it to remind me...

Thank you!

Bill
17-11-08, 03:45
I'm just glad it's been of help.:hugs:

My first panics started after 5 years of coping alone with my wifes illness, a stressful full time job, our dog who became gradually more ill and eventually lost, and a house move. It was only after seeing a psychologist that I realised how much stress I'd been under.

I had to make changes to my lifestyle and find ways to ease the pressures. It took a long time but I don't get panics anymore. I still have anxiety but I feel I cope much better with it than I ever have before.

It was a therapist who taught me about the peaks and troughs. When we reach an anxiety peak, we try to run away from it or block it out but this behaviour causes the troughs of depression. If though we can stand our ground and not try to prevent the anxious feelings, the anxious feelings will gradually subside on their own and as a result our confidence builds each time so our paths become more level.

Another example is OCD. We try to do something but get a worrying thought which triggers anxious feelings. The compulsion is to re-do what we are doing to cancel out the thought. This though creates the peak and trough pattern because next time we try to do something and get another worrying thought, we'll react in the same way because we're still "sensitive" to worrying thoughts.

If though we can resist the temptation to repeat, the anxiety feelings gradually lower on their own so the next time we are no longer afraid of resiting repeating. The path becomes level.

Whether it's OCD, a situation or intrusive thoughts etc, the principle is the same to try not to resist or run away.

However, one thing to remember is the "fuel that creates the fire" - stress! If we burden ourselves daily with too much stress and don't delegate or remember our limits, the constant "heavy weight" of stress will cause us to feel "trapped" and that trapped feeling then causes the panics. Therefore, we also need to find ways to reduce the fuel so we can give ourselves a better chance of controlling the fire. It simply means identifying the main causes whether it's our job, home life, a past experience, our lifestyle or how we approach things and to adopt a new way of thinking.

I realise it's always much easier to say than do though as I've been there many a time myself!

Anyway, I'm glad it was of help to you.:hugs:

debera
17-11-08, 19:49
THANKS BILL
BRILLIANT POST
LOVE DEBERA:hugs: :hugs:

Bill
23-10-09, 03:00
Not sure if I'm doing the right thing but this thread is nearly a year old and somtimes I feel I'm repeating myself too much when replying to posts so I thought if I brought this forward it might help others..........hopefully!.....who have recently joined.:hugs:

Desprate Dan
23-10-09, 04:23
Thanks Bill..

Great post

I wish you were my therapist, you seem to understand me more..

Dan

Bill
24-10-10, 04:00
Well, by chance a year has already passed since the last reply to this thread of mine so I just wondered whether it might be helpful to bring this thread back again in case it's of help to anyone.:shrug:

One other thread of mine I came across was R.I.D. I'd forgotten all about it but again, perhaps it's an easy phrase to remember to help tackle panics...

Learn how to.......

R elax
I gnore
D istract

......as together without "our hills" it helps to get RID of a panic....or at least it has for me.:shrug::hugs:

diane07
24-10-10, 09:19
Fab post bill,

Thanks for bumping it up.

di xx

margaret jones
24-10-10, 09:37
Thanks Bill GREAT Post will certainly take it on board even though I am loads better that Panic/Anxiety is always waiting around the corner .

jada
24-10-10, 17:08
Thanks very much Bill... we are so blessed on nmp to have such a good group of companions with whom to share life's ups and downs. :hugs:

jothenurse
24-10-10, 18:00
Thanks, Bill. Very helpful.

june
24-10-10, 20:31
:hugs:Bill I have always said you are so wise you should be a therapist in your own right:yesyes:
I have known yoru writing for a couple of years and have always thought you have such a clear understanding of our problems.
It was good to re read this:yesyes:
Best wishes
June
:hugs:

Bill
25-10-10, 04:00
Don't know about being a therapist June but if something I type helps someone somewhere then I'm happy with that.:)

blue moon
25-10-10, 07:13
Bill...Once again you are right...i have been reading all your posts and you should think about doing some kind of Therapy work,we need you here in Australia.
Love Petra x:yesyes:

marie1974
29-10-10, 21:19
Hello my friend, great posts r still coming i see, hope u r well and hugss xx

Bill
15-03-17, 07:19
One of my old posts in case it helps anyone.

snowghost57
15-03-17, 16:38
This is something I was taught which I've found has helped me overcome fears.

Imagine you are walking along without a care in the world tackling every obstacle that stands in your way. However, with each obstacle you tackle, a small part sticks to your body until one day the weight becomes too much and you fall over.

You find it too much to pick yourself up as the weight is too heavy and it makes you breathless to attempt it but somehow you stagger back to your feet still carrying the weight that made you fall.

However, instead of the path still flat as before, you now see a hill but you now find it near impossible to climb it. However, at the top of a hill is a tree full of fruit and you are starving so you have to find a way to climb the hill.

You already feel too anxious after your fall but you have no choice than to climb this hill. With every step you take with your heavy load, you become more and more breathless but eventually you reach the top and feed.

However, your body is now exhausted and when you look down the other side of the hill you feel terrified but the fear of staying where you are is greater because you feel so breathless. Therefore, despite your exhaustion, you decide to run down the other side of the hill as fast as you can.

You reach the bottom and feel safer but you want to collapse because the ordeal has been too much to bear. After a while your body has relaxed but you still carry your heavy weight. You begin to feel hungry again but after the ordeal that you've just suffered, you feel you just can't face climbing the next hill for more food.

However, you know that if you don't attempt the climb you'll starve so once again you go through the same ordeal and lay exhausted once more after running down the next hill.

One day though you meet someone else on your path and together you climb the next hill. You sit together at the top of the hill, talking, eating and enjoying the view. During this time you feel the urge to run down the hill again so with this person you both leave.

However, for some reason the next hill doesn't feel so difficult to climb and you feel you're carrying less weight. You climb it together and you find you're able to stay a little longer before having to run back down again.

Gradually, the weight becomes much lighter and the fear of climbing the next hill becomes less. You find that you're able to stay at the top of the hill, even without the support of this person you met. Instead of running down the hill, you take a slow walk as you're enjoying the scenery.

The moral of the story -

The heavy weight is stress that gradually builds up on us without realising it until we break down under the weight which then causes panics every time we try to pick ourselves up again.

Imagine a graph with tall peaks and deep troughs. When we attempt to do something we're afraid of, our anxiety "peaks" which frightens us so we "run away" from our fear which then causes a "trough" because we feel so low from the fear and the effort it took. These create our hills.

If though we stay at the top of the hill, the anxiety Always gradually declines. As it declines our confidence builds, the fear subsides and gradually the heavy weight (stress) falls off so that our hills become easier to climb until once more they become a flat path.

Once the path becomes flat again, we learn that if we tackle too many obstacles, our weight will become too much again which will make us liable to fall again so as a result we learn our limits and how not to take on too much.

As for the person we meet after our fall - the cbt therapist.:hugs:

Another profound message. Thank you, Bill