PDA

View Full Version : Going to work with anxiety symptoms

dietchick
16-11-08, 08:51
Hi there,
how does one cope going to work when they feel so bad with symptoms of anxiety?
I have been off sick recently for about 11 weeks in all with one thing after another and am back to work. I am so nauseuos in the mornings, keep needing the toilet, sweating, trembling, etc.
I have had a talk with my boss about how I am feeling, I have just about bared my soul to her. She can help me, but the suggestion she made to help me with my anxiety scares me even more. But when I have the anxiety attacks, I do start thinking that what she suggested is better then going off sick again. Then it will be harder to get back into work the more I put it off.
I hope things work out
Can anyone else let me know how they cope when they feel so bad?
dietchick

thoughts and actions
16-11-08, 13:15
hey

felt like i could have wrote this myself

I was off work from april-sep on and off with anxiety.

I am now back to work full time full shifts- i have to battle with anxiety every day. I do shift work and i dont start until mid morning as like u every morning i feel sick and i have to go to the toilet bout 5 times before i even leave the house lol - ive been back at work few months now and have tried diff things to deal with my anxiety - ill tell you what i do then u can see how you could adapt?

1. If i am feeling anx- the moment the fear starts buidling i leave the buidling and walk around it 3 times - at the start i was doing this 4/5 times a day- my manager was so understanding- now i do it once every other day.
2. I have my ipod with me and if i get anxious i listen to a few songs
3. If i take a panic attack i ahve a worksheet tht i do (from my CBT) and i go into a room and do this.
4. Work have allowed me to use the disabled toilet (as i also suffer from emetaphobia)
5. I have a few ppl in work i can talk to when feeling anxious
6. Come onto this website and talk to ppl :)
7. Ensure i am breathing properly and take my rescue remedy
8. Try and think positively and concentrate on whats going on around me and not inside me
It gets easier and a few montsh ago i didnt even think id be at this stage.

If u need anything else PM me

xx

pinkpiglet
16-11-08, 13:52
Hey Dietchick,
there have been times in my life where i could have duplicated your post and used it myself. It is such a terrible situation to be in, anxiety can be terrible when you are in the comfort and safety of your own home but to handle responsibilities in the big wide world can multiply your anxiety tenfold. I have had anxiety on and off for years so there have been many occassion where it has affected my work. Its just added pressure isnt it?
You sound very fortunate to have such an understanding boss (There arent that many about!) I have a great boss too and it helps so much.
My way of dealing with my anxiety was to go out and do something completly different- a change is as good as a rest, i only work part-time (for now!) too.
If i do get anxiety when i am at work i go for a walk around the premises and get a drink of water. I have quite an easy job- in a small call centre and the morale is really high so it not often that i get anxious anymore.
I hope things start to get better for you, i can totally sympathise & I know that things can't be easy for you at the minute x:hugs:

feels_like_home
16-11-08, 19:36
Hi,
I am feeling really bad at work too. I am a teacher and some days I don't think I will get through the day. I am on contract for the year as there are no jobs. I feel like I cannot take time off or I will be let go. I have worked way to hard to get where I am to let that happen. I am not saying it is easy. The past 2 weeks have been really horrible. For me it is easy to distract myself because I am needed constantly, but some days even distraction doesn't work. I have a few friends there who know about my anxiety and we just have a positive chat. I just keep telling myself I can do it. I know you can do it too.
Take care.
Michelle

Graz
16-11-08, 20:18
Hi,

I was in much the same situation as you. Over a period of about 5 months, my anxiety reached an unbearable level in that I was going to work feeling very sick, shaking, unable to think and sweating. It got so bad that I had to just write a very truthful, straight email to my boss about how I feel, and out of that I can now work from home a day a week which has definitely helped. Though it must be said things still aren't perfect by a long shot and I still have times when I feel really down and nervous. Like at this very moment, I'm dreading work tomorrow.

If you work in an office, try going outside whenever it sets in and take a walk around. That always seems to help me.