PDA

View Full Version : cant eat with Prozac, any advice

Danceruk
16-11-08, 10:55
Hi

I am new here, bit of a last resort as I have seen my GP 3 times in the last 10 days.

Have been on fluoxetine now for 6 weeks, started at 20mg, was advised to get upto 100mg as fast as possible, double up each week until I got there, I hit a wall at 40mg and have gone back down to 20.((I am taking this for OCD-- Waiting for my CBT appointment at the moment))

I have no appetite at all, I have to force myself to eat the rare times I get shakey/light headed. Also the low feelings/self harm complusions have been unbearable. I have been coming home from work when I found it unbearable.

He gave me amitriptylene to help me sleep when I felt this way. Other than that he said just to keep taking it and see him when I finished another 90tablets. I explained I am not eating. Again he didnt have any concearn about this.

He "called my bluff" said he didnt believe I would hurt myself and to go away and get on with taking my medication.

Are these normal side affects? Am I being overdramatic by thinking he should be considering another medication?

Got another 2 packs to get through, struggling with working etc right now.

Any words of wisedom would be appriciated

Thanks in advance

Jaco45er
16-11-08, 11:47
Hiya

Your doc sounds like a right muppet.

After 6 weeks I would have thought you would be seeing some benefit by now. I lasted 2 weeks on Prozac after extreme anxiety, no sleep and couldn't eat but I was found to be intolerant of SSRI's.

I would be tempted to get a 2nd opinion, meds are a bit of a lottery, and it can take some time to find what suits you best.

But after 6 weeks? I would have thought if they were going to make you feel better they would have by now.

Don't be scared of seeing another GP, there is good and not so good GP's like every other profession.

good Luck

Jaco

kitttykat
16-11-08, 18:18
I agree, try and get a second opinion, the dosage sounds very high, I have barely any appetite at 20mg so can't imagine how awful taking any more can make you feel. Also the self harm thoughts can be a side effect of the drug, it isn't admitted by the drugs companies as a direct side effect but if you are experiencing them your doctor should give you some more sympathy and look at another solution for you. Prozac is a tough drug and it doesn't suit everyone.

It's your right to have a second opinion so definitly do it and get some peace of mind.

I hope everything goes ok, it sounds like you are having a truly miserable time. My thoughts are with you. Remember that you can and will get better.

bumbles
16-11-08, 18:38
I have had exactly the same effect from citalopram. I also have been on it for 6 weeks 2weeks at 40mg hopefully just about getting there I think but i had suicide thoughts really bad and thoughts of harming others thay do seem a bit better the last 2 days though. Good luck with everything and change to a doctor who cares. I also think 100mg is a very large dose too much I think even for a horse! Lots of love to you I also have OCD and these thoughts do come from that aswell I think the drugs make it worse to start with. X

Danceruk
16-11-08, 18:59
Thanks for all the replies guys

I am waiting for an appointment for 2nd opinion pronto!!

My syptoms are deffinately improved OCD wise..but as this rate I will be invisible by xmas!

He showed me the documentation 80mg for OCD--Upto 120mg

I never heard of such high dosage before myself.. I find 40-60 a lot to handle, makes me feel insane.. but I am trying to do as he said, stay put..rather than keep increasing then decreasing as this can make you feel more sick.

Thanks so much!!

bab
16-11-08, 20:56
Hi there

im no expert but 100mg seems a very high dose - i tried prozac but only lasted 3 weeks from terrible anxiety. i would def see a different doctor as side effects should be away by now and you should see some improvement - and i think you are right to stay put and not increase x

pinkpiglet
16-11-08, 21:20
WELL SAID JACO! WHAT A PLANK!!
You seem to be getting the run around where the prozac is concerned. I don't understand what your doc is doin. However, i have found that fluoxetine as surpressed my appetite BIG TIME!, especially at the begining (i started taking it in August), i just couldnt be bothered to eat as i did not feel hungry. I still get this now but then every three to four days i make up for it. I don't know exactly if the fluoxetine is to blame ot wether it is just my anxiety. I only take 20mg and there is been no talk of raising it (quite the opposite in fact). Stick to the 20mg until you get that second opinion.