PDA

View Full Version : Hi. Probably have GAD + Phobias.

alias_kev
16-11-08, 13:39
Hi Everyone.

I've been being treated by the GP for stress/anxiety & maybe depression for a few months. I've had a problem for much longer that got really bad this year. I have some antidepressant meds which help me get to sleep at night and reduce the general level of anxiety & stress.

Recently got a referal to some group sessions (6 hours total) on Stress, Anxiety and Depression Management. This was good for symptom management and understanding the physical and mental mechanisms involved. It was CBT based mainly. There was less content on coping with life issues (now!) and escaping anxiety & phobias. Felt a bit in limbo afterwards and I've been looking for further support groups, etc. There seems to be very little in South Essex (or its badly advertised).

Since then I have been reading loads of websites information including here and NoPanic itself. Starting on books next.

This has led me to the personal conclusion that I have been suffering from Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD) for a long time and it got worse this year because my Phobia's and Depression became stronger. As I mentioned the meds have helped the depression (some) but that still leaves the anxiety to beat. My phobias are mainly focused about Answering the Telephone and Opening Letters. I now have the sense that this is more to do with finances, responsibility, and confrontation, as I can feel the same about meeting certain people about certain responsibilites. I never had the same issues at work. In general though I do not display symptoms of social phobia/anxiety. Curiously my phobias themselves were around (to a lesser degree) even years ago when I had no financial worries at all.

On the "Irrational Beliefs" list of CBT I concluded that I have mostly suffered from the "Safety in Procrastination" problem within my life - although work was always excellent. This was unconscious or well rationalised so I can emphasise that these irrational beliefs do not need to be active in your conscious thoughts to dominate you. They can just be a hidden axiom you live by.

I hope thats not too long or self centred. This seems to post describe where I am coming from and what i am dealing with.

weeble40
16-11-08, 16:24
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

Patty
16-11-08, 20:56
Hi Alias_Kev,:)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes :D

milly jones
18-11-08, 17:19
a warm welcome to no more panic

milly xx