PDA

View Full Version : Head Rush - Fear of stroke

Dan21
16-11-08, 19:06
Hello.

Earlier this evening, I had one of the most intense head rushes I have ever experienced. The thing that has really worried me is that it felt like it was only on the left side of my head. I felt pretty awful afterwards and took myself off to bed for a bit. Stifll feeling a bit wooley however after being health anxiety free for months, I'm suddenly terrified I'm having a stroke or TIA or the like.

My wife said that its probably due to being extremely tired (a lot of very early starts with my one year old son) and the fact that I normally drink decaf coffee although today we have had family round and I have had three or four cups of regular caffine ground coffee. Is that really likely? I know caffine can give palpatations but head rushes too?? My sister in law is a doctor and she was here when the rushes happened. She didnt seem to think it was anything too serious but it felt like they hit me very hard and intesnsely. I'm still feeling a bit light headed but is that a combination of the head rushes and anxiety? I had the tingly hand once I started to get stressed but I think that was anxiety.

I'm VERY, VERY anxious about this as I really dont want to burden my wife with even more health anxiety babble. I dont smoke and dont really drink to excess - pleas, any words of reassurance would be welcome - can you get head rushes on one side??

D

Vikki
16-11-08, 19:33
Hello

Although I have never had a head rush like you describe, I do get pins and needles down 1 side of my face. No idea what causes it!

I would more than likely say it was due to the caffine.

If you are still concerned, it may be an idea to give your gp a call in the morning.
I hope this helps, even if just a tiny bit

x

Dan21
17-11-08, 07:37
Please, I could really do with some reassurance...

andie73
17-11-08, 08:18
Hi Dan

I get rushes sometimes but in my body, though I have had them in my head when I was very anxious. I think it is just caused by rushes of adrenaline. If you are worried though I would go and see your GP and they will put your mind at rest.

Take care

mandie
17-11-08, 09:30
Hi Dan

I have suffered with head rushes for about 4 years on and off.

They scare the life out of me and after I feel very lightheaded and weird

When im anxious I get pins and needles in my hands and head.

I am sure its down to the tiredness, as i always feel worse when im tired.

I have asked dr loads of times, cause i always looking for reassuance, and he said its all to do with anxiety

take care

mandie x

june
17-11-08, 11:50
:weep: sorry to sound a bit stupid.:weep:

Is a "head rush" the same sensation as
- it feels like you have been hit on the side of your head and your brain bumped to the other side of your head??
This sensation leaves me feeling very sick / depressed / giddy and very frightend:weep:
june

ashearer1
13-03-09, 07:44
Dan,

I have an immense fear of having a stroke. I have panic attacks on a daily basis, usually 3-4 a day due to this fear. I have extreme anxiety and sometimes I'll have a leg, arm, hand, or part of my face go numb. It terrifies me so badly that I end up having a panic attack because I'm afraid I'm having a stroke. I get those head rushes a lot, too. I also get stabbing pains right below my ears into my skull. Usually my right side only. Nothing caused this fear either. It just came out of nowhere about 3 months ago.

doodah
13-03-09, 11:29
Dan,

I have had head rushes in the past - the only way I've been able to describe them to people is for them to imagine a huge lion or viscious dog standing in front of them ready to attack - I think everyone would experience the same surge of adrenalin if confronted with that! I'm pretty sure what you're experiencing is adrenalin - and it's a horrible feeling isn't it!

The numbness I get quite frequently. I too was worried about having a stroke but after having a CAT scan nothing showed (well, nothing bad!!:blush: ). I currently worry about very, very small amounts of nosebleed - hadn't had one for ages until yesterday - as soon as I saw the blood I had the head rush, my left hand felt like there was an elastic band around it, oh, and the left hand side of my face, eye and nose went completely numb!! All this went away as soon as I sat down for 5 minutes and gave myself a good talking to!!!

Wendy xx

RibbonBows
13-03-09, 13:52
A couple of weeks ago I had one of these on the bus and it was so bad I was convinced I was dying. I was really close to asking some to help me. Afterwards I felt really sick and shaky but I think that was just the shock of it. I have had a couple since then but I am fine now. I don't think its anything to worry about.

lauren6
13-03-09, 22:00
I had this an hour ago so am here to post it and saw your thread. I was just sitting at the computer and felt like for about 1 second that I wasn't even here, a quick dizzy feeling. I was looking at my stocks online which may have subconsciously brought on adrenaline and it was just anxiety. Right away I googled TIA to see if they can last for only 1 second. It seems not, although one article said it can. But I have absolutely no other signs, no weakness, numbness, lack of coordination, speech difficulty. I closed my eyes and touched the tip of my nose (the neurologists ask you to do this), walked a straight line, spoke to my neighbor to see if I understood everything. I totally understand the fear. We don't want to ever be in a position of helplessness, dizziness, anything related to a stroke.

I am still scared to go outside now, scared what if it happens outside and it's worse. I HAVE had pangs of anxiety in the street where I am talking to someone...it happens when I feel trapped in a conversation sometimes and I also feel like I am on another planet momentarily, horrible feeling. Or that I'll pass out right then and there (never have). I hope you are ok...please post and let me know.

ladonna
13-04-10, 00:00
I have been having these weird head rushes for many years. It happens when I go in public places around people, and in any situation where I feel trapped, such as driving and having to stop at a red light for too long of a period of time, or in a traffic jam, or in the middle of a mall or somewhere where I feel like I am not close to an exit to run out. I can just think about it and make it happen. It's like a jolt to my head and a feeling like I have to bend down because I might fall or something. I finally found out after all these years that it was due to panic attacks, and when I have a panic attack it affects my inner ear and will begin as a head rush that ends in dizziness and feeling off balance. It will feel like the ground is slanted and I am trying to walk uphill. It always subsides, but the worry of having another attack keeps me from ever wanting to go out and go anywhere. I have found some good books that have helped me. One in particular is an old book written by Helen Weekes called Hope and Help for your nerves. Lucinda Bassett's Power over Panic is another helpful book too. Both books explain in detail all of the different symptoms of panic and how and why it makes you feel the way you do. Just knowing that you CAN NOT DIE from having one of these horrible attacks is very comforting, but I have been having these for so long that it is going to take a lot of work on my part of forcing myself to confront the panic. I think the key is to allow yourself to feel whatever symptoms an attack brings, that is the only thing that will make them go away for good. As soon as you no longer fear having a panic attack they go away. It's actually the fear of fear which feeds the attacks and keeps them going! Good luck to everyone!!!