PDA

View Full Version : What is CBT?

Jan63
16-11-08, 19:42
Can someone please tell me what happens at a CBT session please. My doctor is referring me for a session but I haven't a clue what happens. She said it will be one to one and not a group session but other than that I'm clueless.:blush: Is a CBT session different than a normal counselling session?

Thanks.:)

GemmaAnn
17-11-08, 11:34
I have my 1st CBT session tomorrow. Not sure exactly what its about but I think instead of just talking about how you feel etc, and finding the causes behind how you feel as you would in counselling - they take the time with you to change your thought patterns and things. From what I hear its hard work with a lot of 'homework' as they put it, but its meant to be the most effective treatment for anxiety.

Will let you know how it goes! :)

GemmaAnn
18-11-08, 22:21
Hey,

So had the session today. Was supposed to be an hour long but only lasted for 30 mins so was happy!
She told me straight off the bat that she wasnt like a 'regular' counsellor and she wouldnt be diagnosing anything. She wasnt there to talk about me and how I feel etc. (to some extent at least).
We went through the previous work I had done with my past counsellor, some of the experiences I had that might have affected my anxiety, when it started, and what I was most anxious about. I had filled out a couple of anxiety scale forms before hand and she had a look through them.

Then we went through her 'plan' if you like, of how the sessions would go. I think there will be at least 10. She wants to start with the Physical Symptoms, try to get them to diminish, control them and the thoughts that produce them, then move onto challenging the negative thoughts and the anxious thoughts that make me feel how I do and make me avoid certain situations. With this combination she hopes that the thoughts, physical, emotional and behavioural symptoms should all get better.

I know I've only been to one session, and we didnt do a lot - but I feel very positive about this!

I hope this helps, and I can keep you updated if you need :)

Jan63
04-12-08, 18:16
Sorry I've only just seen this Gemma - thanks for letting me know how it went.:hugs:

I really don't want to do the CBT though because for a start I don't want to go on my own and I know my o/h will probably be at work. I don't like going out on my own in areas I'm not familiar with and I won't use buses and can't afford taxes and I can't drive. The area where the place where the CBT will probably be held isn't a good area of town and I definitely won't walk round there alone even in daylight so I think I will be giving CBT a miss. I doubt it would help me anyway and feel it might even make me feel worse.:unsure: