PDA

View Full Version : hello all

xprincess87x
17-11-08, 11:44
hey all im new here im 21 with a little boy of 14 months ive sufferd with anxiety since i was 12 due to a poor childhood ive battled with pannic attacks and depresion and finally ive been given ecitalopram im sooo scared but i just want a life that ive never had i just really want it to work for my little boy as much as myself .
i just wanted to be assured from people who take it or have taken it themselves ! ? xxxxxx

thank u

alias_kev
17-11-08, 12:59
Hi. I've had the pills since June as I was appearing depressed (from my behavour) as well as having had anxiety for a long time.

I started on 10mg AM and that was not too bad. It may have made me sleepy (especially about 1-2 hours after taking it), although I was pretty much zonked by the depression and/or anxiety at that point anyway.

It was not helping nighttime sleep at that dosage and so GP added 10mg late-PM. This tends to guarantee I can get to sleep and usually (not always) I get more uninterupted hours of sleep and less "whirling worries" at say 2pm.

I have a high level of generalised anxiety (or stress) and it seems to have lowered the general level of that. I have been quite phobic this year about a couple of things and I do not think it has touched that much. Phobias seem to involve a rapid switch to a high-anxiety state and that swamps out the pills for a while. It maybe that I recover from that faster now but its hard to say.

It does seem to have given me more control over the depression (or depression like symptoms) and I have been up and active much more than I was when I first started the pills. As a Mum you probably have to keep going more on pure-willpower.

Depending on your problems there are quite a few pills and dosages out there so don't be shy in asking your GP for changes. On the flip side to that I would say that it took a longish time for each dosage to stabilise in my system and give me the benefits with less of the side effects. Unless you get bad side effects it is worth persevering for atleast a month to see if things settle down. Its worth remembering that these sorts of pill can make you feel worse in the short term (even - more anxious) even if the side effects are not too bad to carry on with.

Its worth adding that most of the advice is to come off the pills VERY slowly when you do so; whether that's soon due to lack of benefit or especially in the medium/long term if they have helped.

Moob
17-11-08, 19:48
Hi princess :)

I have been on 10mg for about 6 weeks now, and like you i have suffered since a young age.
I had always refused meds, but i got so fed up with it i gave in!
I was so scared to take them..i sat there for half an hour just staring at the pill on the table psyching myself up to take it as if it was an ecstasy pill or something HAHA!
I did get some side affects....it made me feel more anxious for a couple of weeks..but then it slowly wore off and i feel really good now :)
Feel free to pm me anytime if you ever wanna chat.
Good luck and let us know you are getting on :)
xx

Moob
17-11-08, 19:53
Oh i forgot to say...a friend of mine has also been on them and they really helped her too :)

xprincess87x
18-11-08, 00:23
Hey thank u for ur reply !!! I have the tablets sitting infront of me aahhh im soo nervous about taking them but i think what i have gone through in the past years totally out weighs the side effects !!Still mega scared!!!

So im just going to take the BL**DY things and get on with it ! at least i have my 14 month old cheeky monster to distract me !!! lolx

london
18-11-08, 03:34
try them you have every to gain and nothing to loose , wish you better

xprincess87x
18-11-08, 13:20
right i took it and im really happy i think its because im finally doing something about how ive been feeling !!! sooo bring on the side effects im ready for u ! hehe !! x

mummy4
21-11-08, 09:56
hey princess just wondering how things are going with the meds?
ive been on these for 3 years constant now.
at first they really made a difference but dont seem to be working for me a lot now. mind you i only take 5mg every evening and im 31 weeks pregnant so hopefully when baby is born i will feel better again :D

i take these mainly for anxiety/panic.

hope your doing well! :yesyes:

:bighug1: x