PDA

View Full Version : do you think i have ocd?

tashbarnes87
17-11-08, 20:10
HI Guys, some people i have spoken to about my anxiety have said that they think that i have OCD? I am not convinced and i think i have health anxiety.

I have become very aware of sick people around me and wont go near any one thats ill or potentially ill going to the docs is horrible. A guy sat at my desk the other day who had a cold and i cleaned my desk with my antibacterial spray until i was sure it was clean. I tend to hold my breath in when i walk past people who look like they might be germy :smile: . I am that scared / wary of HIV that at the weekend i took up cross stich ( making a wall chart for my little boy when he's born) and i couldnt use the needle until it had been sterlised just in case the person who packed it had HIV and pricked his finger with it ( how in sane is that!!) i dont think its taking over my life im just very aware of things now. I think this is health anxiety as surely im doing all of these things as i dont want to get sick?

Any thoughts?

x

belle
17-11-08, 20:50
Hi.
I am no expert on OCD, but to me, it doesn't sound quite like it.
I from time to time in my life have had minimal OCD. But it was about doing things in numbers. Having to wash my hands a certain amount of times, or brushing my teeth so many times.
I still have certain rituals and to be honest, they've gradually wormed their way back into my life and i know why, its because i am struggling with my mental health right now, so it saw an opening and its back!

You sound like you have a germ phobia. I have a germ phobia as well as everything else. I tend to carry hand gel, i don't breath near people when out, cover my mouth with a scarf (when i can) and make sure we ALL have clean hands all of the time!!!!

You've noted there may be a problem which is good, so you can try your hardest not to let it spiral into a possible OCD.

x

gtrgrl3369
18-11-08, 01:45
I agree that it sounds more like health anxiety than OCD. I am very aware of sick people too. I also do other things because I have OCD. I will wash my hands if I get around a sick person even if they are just walking by me. I will disinfect everything even if they didnt touch it because that is what OCD does to you, it gives you alot of "what ifs". Take care.

PUGLETMUM
26-11-08, 16:14
:) hi tashbarnes, if you go to ocd uk you will see that the feelings you have are part of ocd, it isnt casue for alarm, quite the opposite - you will find ways of tackling your problem. like you ive had weird thoughts tha thave meant ive changed my behaviour, i think this is when you have to admit their is a problem, becasue the action you take to make yourself feel better is out of proportion to the problem? eg sterilising a needle that could not in any way be contaminated with hiv, or taking excessive measures to not catch a cold, when you will prob catch that cold anyway- hope this helps? emma