PDA

View Full Version : Mad Question please help.

tashbarnes87
18-11-08, 14:52
Hello, i am going to ask it even though i feel like an idiot. I have a hole in my tooth which is slightly painful i have a temp filling in it until i have my baby and then its root canal work. Ahh i am petrified of the dentist :weep: any way. I am very scared that my tooth is going to get infected as its currently hurting and i am trying to not poke it but its not working, i keep playing with it and i know its making it worse. I have had a headache every day for the past week in the afternoon and if im rational its probably pregnancy and i havent been sleeping but my brain is saying ' what happens if its an infection in my tooth thats spreading to my brain lol. My question is can tooth decay do any harm to my health? i am petrified that when i go back in a months time they will tell me that its cancer or my gum has rotted away. I know i shouldnt ask but whats the worst that can happen with tooth decay, is it the fact that my tooth might fall out?

Please help as i am obsessing over it and its all i am thinking about :weep: xx

bab
18-11-08, 14:55
Hi Tash

your headache is def caused by the tooth ache and the worst case scenario is that our tooth will be sore till you get your treatment - please dont worry - it cannot spread to your brain or anywhere else - x

Jan63
18-11-08, 14:57
No I'm sure tooth decay can't do any harm to your health.:hugs: I don't mind going to the dentist as long as he uses the injection I'm happy. Where abouts is the tooth? I think dentists check for mouth cancer now as a general procedure - I know mine does every 6 months. The worst that can happen is that you will have toothache.:hugs:

tashbarnes87
18-11-08, 15:02
its a back tooth, due to how scared i am i asked her to take it out and she refused which made me really upset. I just keep obsessing over the fact that it might not be tooth decay but cancer in my gum, i know cancer in that area is rare at 20 but still. I think i am also wary of it as i know nothing can be done until the baby is born and i am desperate for it not to get painful so i keep checking it. If im honest it doesnt actually hurt that much, i mean i have had an abcess and that bl oody hurt :)

its just the thouight of my tooth rotting away it petrifies me :(

God its just a hole!! nothing to worry about xx

sheena
18-11-08, 15:23
Why do you have to wait until after you have had the baby?

Sheena

tashbarnes87
18-11-08, 15:31
The dentist apparently isnt allowed to put a gray filling in until the baby is born as it contains mecury which is dangerous for baby. I got told at 4 weeks pregnant that i needed the work done and she wouldnt do anything then. I am now 31 weeks, she said theres no point using a white filling as its a chomper at the back it needs to be hard. I said take it out then as i really dont want root canal work and she said no, i then said shall i book it for just after the babys born and she said ' wait and see how you feel' which would imply its not that bad? She said it was quite decayed but yet didnt seem that worried about it?

But hearing the words ' its badly decayed has got me terrified' do you think the worst thing that can happen is that i am in pain and the tooth could fall out?

x

sheena
18-11-08, 15:52
I would have thought if it was badly decayed that she would have to take it out. Like you say it is a back tooth. Can she not file it down and put a gold crown on it. I had this down to my bottom two back teeth.

This anxiety about your tooth is not good for you. Can you not make an appointment with her and explain what it is doing to your anxiety. It is not nice for you to be worrying about your tooth all the time. If not, can you maybe see another dentist. I think if my tooth was badly decayed I would want something done about it.
Also, albeit it a long long time ago, I had mercury fillings when I was pregnant with both of my children. It is a fact that the child in the womb deplete calcium in the mother's body.

Sheena

tashbarnes87
18-11-08, 17:27
Hi Sheena, she was quite adamant that it needed root canal work done and that taking a tooth out wasnt an option as apparently i am too young, ultimatly i think its my choice if i lose a tooth but never mind. I would like to go and see another dentist but it has taken so long to find an NHS dentist in my area so its not really an option i would love to go private as the care is meant to be a lot better but with a baby on the way thats not an option. I just wish that the pain would stop then i could forget about it and stop poking it. Its annoying grr

Thanks for your responses
x

Wolfie
18-11-08, 17:38
Hey, I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this load of anxiety concerning your tooth.

I just wanted to say that, in most cases, Dentists only resort to extraction if its absolutely nescessary or the only solution. I think, maybe she is refusing to take the tooth out as it is pretty difficult to extract teeth from the back, and also if she did extract it, then this could have an effect on your bite or something like that.

Either way, I think you gotta hold on until you have the baby, and even going to see another dentist - the advice is likely to be the same hun, private or NHS.

I also read that you are concerned about what the worst thing can happen if the tooth is just left - I'm pretty sure that the worst case scenario is that the hole will get slightly bigger - decay takes time, so not much will have happened if you wait until after the baby.

I hope you feel better soon and try to take it easy hun :)

Lots of love and huggles,

Chrissy x

tashbarnes87
18-11-08, 17:48
Thanks Chrissy, i think i will wait and try the root canal work as long as the pain doesnt get too bad. I thought that the decay would start to rot away my gum or something like that but i think thats my anxiety running away with me. I didnt realise it takes time i thought it was a quick process. grrr

xxxx

joyce1980
19-11-08, 09:30
We all have holes from one time to another missy moo even pregnant women, there is no problem, your brain is just latching onto something to worry you.

I hate the dentist cos I can't see what he is doing in there!!!! and I hate pain, i'm hopeless with it.

If you happen to get an infection, like I have had... you would get an abscess, it's painful but not harmful cos once you get one you will get some appropriate antibiotics to treat it.

Can you use mouth wash while pregnant???? if you can use it every day and that will put your mind at rest, but check with a professional to make sure mouth wash it ok.

Oh and i'll bet after giving birth, root canal will be a walk in the park

Bless and hugs

tashbarnes87
19-11-08, 10:37
Hi Joyce, i have started to use mouthwash every day and also started flossing so hopefully that will keep infections at bay. Your post made me laugh, its funny i havent even though of the pain in labour and it doesnt scare me in anyway but a silly little hole in my tooth and i get the fear :D

xxx

joyce1980
19-11-08, 13:23
Hehehe glad you had a laugh, you will be just fine.