PDA

View Full Version : Having A Hard Time, Can Anyone Relate To Me?

ro44
18-11-08, 19:10
Hello all,

Been having a hard time lately. It's hard for me to describe this, but here goes. I have a lot of neck, and shoulder stiffness which even goes down into my arms. When I was at the grocery store the other day I had a BAD episode. It's hard for me to explain. I'm pushing the cart which is a bit tiring because of my arm fatigue. I'm feeling anxious and I keep telling myself "you are okay, you're almost done". Anyway, I am really trying to relax and enjoy myself when I get this terrible feeling in my head. I can't really explain it, it's not dizzyiness like the room is spinning or I can't stand up, it's just like something is really wrong in my head and I think it freaked me out and sent me into panic. My heart started racing and I got so weak I felt like I could only take a few steps at a time. It was so bad that I called my hubby and told him to come and get me that something was really wrong. I managed to push my cart of groceries down an aisle where thankfully there was a bench to sit on. I sat there, looking at my cell phone trying to look "normal". It was the longest 20 minutes of my life. My hubby came and help me walk back to my car. I felt so weak that I walked very slowly. I got in the car and he drove me home. As soon as I laid down in the car, I started feeling better. I took a xanax and rested the rest of the day.

Today, a few days later I thought I would go out to do some errands. I was really kind of afraid to but I went. As I was driving I started to feel the wierd feeling in my head again and very anxious. I got through my errands barely but I had to pull over and park my car because of the way I felt. I laid the seat back and rested my head and felt okay. I then started driving again and after a mile or two the feeling came back. When I was stopped at a red light, my heart started racing and I thought, HURRY, TURN GREEN so I can park and lay my head down again. Doesn't this sound ridiculous!!! Can anyone relate to this? I really think it has to do with my neck and shoulders or something. I am working with a chiropractor to help my neck and my xrays are slowing improving. But my neck, shoulders upper back and arms feel worse to me. Does anyone think that I could have so much tension in my body that it would make me feel weird when I go shopping or driving?

I know this is too long a post. I am just so upset. I don't want to become agoraphobic. But I will definitely not be going to the grocery for a while by myself. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.

Ro44

lostsoul
18-11-08, 19:34
Ro

I hate to say it but it sounds like a panic attack to me - mine started in exactly the same way at the start of the year. Your head just feels really strange which only makes the panic worse. I'm sure the tension your experiencing doesn't help as it probably makes you panic more. The fact that you always manage to pull the car over safely or wait it out in the grocery store is proof that you will be OK. I know its hard to cope with and for me it has started to lead to agoraphobia.

But try and remember that the fear of what might happen is nearly always worse than the reality.

Are you on any other meds apart from the xanax? your lucky to get that doctors in the UK are very reluctant to prescribe it due to how addictive it can be. I take Diazepam (valium) 14mg everyday and it has no effect any more. But I also take Mirtazapine (remeron) which has really help me in some respects.

I think all us sufferes know that the only real answer to recovery lies within ourselves and continually facing fears, rather than in a magic pill. stick with it and keep doing all the things you have always done.

I stopped doing that when my panic attacks started and I lost my job becase of it and have probably made my situation and recovery a whole lot worse than it needed to be.

If you every need to talk feel free to PM me.

*D*
18-11-08, 20:41
Hi Ro,

OMG!!! I have had that same thiing happen to me! It is anxiety, because once I leave the store or the place I am in I am fine. The first time it happend to me I was scared to death. So I know how you felt, It is the fear the keeps it going. I also have realy bad neck and shoulder tension. Also my legs would feel like they could not carry me, good thing I had the shopping cart. lolol. I had the same feeling about being agoraphoipic, I pushed myself to go back into the store, and kept telling myself it was only anxiety. It happens when I have been very stressed. I also notice it happens around that time of month.
I hope that this puts your mind at ease, you are not alone:hugs:

*D*

ro44
18-11-08, 21:02
Thanks for the replies.

Lostsoul - I only take the xanax occasionally, and dalmane ( a sleeping pill) every now and then.

*D* - a question for you. You said you get the same feeling. Can you describe the feeling you get in your head? I have a hard time describing it, all I know is it is terrifying.

Thanks

*D*
18-11-08, 21:17
Hi Ro,

I will try to explain it, it kind of spacy, fullness feeling, almost like my head is full of water, I am sorry if I am not making much sence. It is very hard to discribe. I was told by my chriopracter that my muscles are so tence in my neck that it can constric the blood flow to my head, maybe that has something to do with it. hope this helps.

D

ro44
18-11-08, 21:48
*D*

I know it is hard to describe. I don't know if mine feels like it's full of water, but I do feel kind of spacey and I do get the fullness sensation. I have had all sorts of weird feelings in my head. It's interesting what your chiro said about blood being constricted. That's what gives me the most fear I think is that the blood flow is going to be cut off and I'll stroke or something. I know that sounds crazy. Did you chiro say anything more?

*D*
19-11-08, 13:39
Hi Ro,

The chrio did say it would not cause the blood flow to stop, I did ask her that, she said to try massage to help relive some of the tension. I tense my muscles and I dont even realize I do it. I am always tensing my shoulders and I have poor posture. Which does not help.
The head sensation I get is very hard to explain, not sure the water was a good discription. I hope this helps, but what I do no know the more you conentrate on it the longer it will last. It is like a panic attack, once you are not afraid of them anymore they wont come back. It is the fear that fuels them.
What has happend to me I just keep getting new symptoms, and if I did not suffer with anxiety it would not be such a big deal. We have to analyize every pain or twich we get, and we always go to the worst case senerio.
This anxiety stuff stinks.

Take care.

D

ro44
19-11-08, 14:51
*D* - Thanks so much, here's another question for you since you also have a lot of neck and shoulder tension (anyone else who has this weird symptom, please respond too). I began to hear my pulse in my head (if it's quiet I can tell it's coming from my left ear). It sounds like if you say "huh huh huh" without using your voice, just making the air noise. I began hearing it many years ago when I would turn my head to the side or stretch my neck. I have also heard it after a extra heartbeat (pvc). I had several MRI's and tests and nobody has been able to tell me exactly what it is. It does seem that the tighter and stiffer my neck, shoulders and back are the more I hear it. Yesterday, after my awful driving experience, I laid down sleepy from the xanax and wanted to sleep. Everytime I would start to doze off I would hear this pulsing sound (kind of feel it too), I would roll over to other side and as soon as I was about to drift off the sound would come back. This happened probably 10 times. So I got up and said "I guess I'll forget this nap!" I've tried so hard to figure this out. I don't have my head cocked in a weird position or anything. I also get this thing where when I'm about to drift off to sleep, I will kind of gasp. Almost like a hypnic jerk in my head. Do you have any ideas about this? I really feel like I am the only one that has these weird symptoms. I guess that is what scares me so much.

Sorry if I'm being a bother, I just need to vent to someone.

Ro

*D*
19-11-08, 15:17
Hi RO,
You are diffently not being a bother at all! I have not had any experince with the pulse in the ear, but I did also want to bring up something my chrio said about breathing, she said that people that have anxiety tend not to breath properly, we tend to shallow breath use our chest insted of our stomach. She also said that when we are breathing incorrectly that is can cause many different symptoms, lightheadeness, weak, tired, dizzy, it is because of the oxygen levels. There are so many ways this anxiety can mess with our heads.

Take care,
Debbie

bumbles
19-11-08, 15:44
I have and its horrid, I also get really painful neck and shoulder I am stiff as a plank now and it sort of burns. X

ro44
19-11-08, 16:11
Bumbles,

Are you saying you have the pulsing sound in your ear? If so, tell me when you have it and describe it to me if you can. I'm trying to figure out if this
has to do with my stiffness. Tell me about that too.

Thanks,
Ro

Diane O'Brien
19-11-08, 16:18
Hi Bumbles

I have had the spacey feeling and the aches and pains and burning sensations though at the time I didn't know what they were. My arms and legs and neck used to burn and ache. I ignored it and pushed myself more. Since I joined here it help to know i'm not the only one going through all these symptoms. Since I have recognised the signs and left work to get better, I am starting to learn to relax. Its awful I know, my husband currently goes to the supermarket because I cant hack it yet. Take each day as it comes and be kind to yourself. Maybe I'll see you in chat sometime hun.

kirgray
19-11-08, 18:15
Hiya!
I was just going to post about some symptoms on here....i havent been here for a while but symptoms have been building up....i get very bad neck and shoulder stiffness and the last 2 weeks i have started getting a burning sensation on top of my head like the crown area...it feels so hot, does anyone else get this at all its freaking me out a bit...been to the docs a lot but they just look at my history and say its anxiety! i get very dizzy also and exhausted, i have just had a stomach bug thing which hasnt helped either! i was worrying myself it was all related to my head...sorry if ive gone on :blush:
Wandering about visiting a chiropracter ( not sure if spelt right lol) are they expensive??
Kirsty xx

*D*
19-11-08, 21:32
Hey Ro,

Just a thought, have you had and sinus infection, cold or ear infection latley, because, that can diffently cause the pulse in your ear, because of the congestion, and fluid that can build up in the ear. Sometime vertigo might be the culprit as well.

Kristy,
I am in the U.S so my insurance covers the chriopracter, I just have a copay. It has been helpful when I go. I want to try massage, and see if that helps.

D

ro44
20-11-08, 01:16
*D*

No, I have no sinus or congestion. I wish that were it. After being out driving today, I really think it is my neck problems. Hope it gets better
someday.

Ro

hullsarah
20-11-08, 01:35
yes deffently a panic attack i hope u get the help u need xxx