PDA

View Full Version : Pain in Ribs/Chest

PhoenixGrey
19-11-08, 09:03
I have had almost a constant ache in my ribs, all the way from my breast bone to the gap in between my ribs at the bottom - does anyone else experience this? Is this something to do with the anxiety - even though I don't really get any racing heartbeat or anything?

Diane O'Brien
19-11-08, 10:19
:yesyes: Hi Laura I used to ache all the time but mainly my wrists, legs and neck and back but it took me a long time to work out it was all connected to anxiety and depression. Is it constant or does it come and go. Mine used to be worse in the morning, is it worse at a particular time of the day or on exertion. I suppose its hard to tell if its all directed to anxiety, the rib pain, better getting it checked out really. I know I hold myself very tense, the difference now is I know I,m doing it so I try and relax.

Hope your well soon. Take Care.

PhoenixGrey
19-11-08, 10:27
I don't know - I'd say the pain changes, like now it's more on top of my chest, whereas this morning it was more underneath below my ribcage - I would love to get it checked out, but not been having a great time recently and saw a doctor last friday and on monday - so another visit would be a bit excessive - I'm scared to go cause I know they'll see that I've been so much and dismiss me immediately - but I'm freaking out again! Doesn't help with the slightly croaky throat i'm getting, now Im convinced i have throat cancer - or at least I want checking that i definitely dont have it!

nickieb
19-11-08, 11:04
Hi laura

I had this exact problem the last few days & got diagnosed with costochondritis- whether it is this i don't know.

I guess the aim is to relax & treat the symptoms with an anti inflammatory.
Feel free to msg me hun xxx

PhoenixGrey
19-11-08, 11:12
Thanks Nicola,

I have no idea what that is either - but I am not gonna be googling - just in case!

I am seeing a counsellor today at the docs so maybe they'll somehow sneak me an appointment, if not and nothing clears I'm gonna be off to the walk-in centre!

Has anyone else noticed that they shake their legs a lot more now - I used to do it a bit in the past but now, whenever I sit down I twitch my leg, you know - heel slightly off the floor shaking. I think I might just be showing my anx!

Jan63
19-11-08, 11:24
I don't know - I'd say the pain changes, like now it's more on top of my chest, whereas this morning it was more underneath below my ribcage - I would love to get it checked out, but not been having a great time recently and saw a doctor last friday and on monday - so another visit would be a bit excessive - I'm scared to go cause I know they'll see that I've been so much and dismiss me immediately - but I'm freaking out again! Doesn't help with the slightly croaky throat i'm getting, now Im convinced i have throat cancer - or at least I want checking that i definitely dont have it!

It sounds like it could be GORD ( Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease) to me Laura because I had the exact same symtoms a couple of months ago. Do you get a slight burning in your chest or throat or a bit of indigestion sometimes? I also got the croaky voice and convinced myself it was throat cancer.:blush: I also had pains in my back and my chest which worried me but after a week or so of being on Omeprazole capsules I felt fine again.

PhoenixGrey
19-11-08, 11:28
That sounds possible,

I get indigestion almost permanently - but I'd put that down to having a general upset stomach and feeling continually bloated.

I haven't got a permanently croaky voice - I just feel like I need to cough, but there's nothing to cough! I just clear my throat - and that has no effect either.

I just wish I knew a qualified doctor - or at least had one to hand, cause when I go to the doctors I have at least 20 things that need checking, I had planned another doctors appointment before this happened - I just wish I could get like an hour to have a complete health check, all the tests n everything, then I could calm down and get past this - but not with unresolved questions!

Thanks for your help everyone, just need to get through the next 1 1/2 hours of work, then I can rush off to the docs!

nickieb
19-11-08, 14:11
Cosotchondritis is inflammation of the cartilage surrounding the chest wall & ribs of the thoracic area. It can cause aches pains & twinges.... & can be very painful..
However it could also be GORD or GERD quite rightly. Hun i would try some ibuprofen & maybe some ranitadine and see how it goes xx

Anxious_gal
19-11-08, 19:20
sometimes I find rib pain can be caused by wearing your bra too tight or sleeping with it on

Helen1973
19-11-08, 22:13
That sounds possible,

I get indigestion almost permanently - but I'd put that down to having a general upset stomach and feeling continually bloated.
This definately sounds like acid indigestion, Laura. Something I suffer with myself. Anxiety can trigger it (or make it worse) and change symtoms on a whim. I've had burning discomfort, aches and twinges from breastbone to the bottom of my ribs.

I haven't got a permanently croaky voice - I just feel like I need to cough, but there's nothing to cough! I just clear my throat - and that has no effect either.
This also sounds just like me. Anxiety can make you produce more mucus which then seems to stick to your throat so you constantly feel as if you want to cough. Then, of course, there is the pea in throat business that is also down to stress and anxiety!

I just wish I knew a qualified doctor - or at least had one to hand, cause when I go to the doctors I have at least 20 things that need checking, I had planned another doctors appointment before this happened - I just wish I could get like an hour to have a complete health check, all the tests n everything, then I could calm down and get past this - but not with unresolved questions!

I swear we must be mind twins. I used to play 'what if I won the lottery' and it always featured houses and holidays--now it features medical tests and my own private GP who I won't need to feel embarrased about seeing on a daily basis. :hugs:

I hope you get the reassurance you need!

dorabella
20-11-08, 22:37
It sounds to me as if you are experiencing both costo and gastro-oesophageal reflux. I have both and they seem to run in tandem.

Costo is a sub-condition of fibromyalgia. The latter is an increasingly common condition in anxiety sufferers, causing aches and pains throughout the body, sometimes related to physical activity of a repetitive nature but often with no apparent cause. Some of the other effects of fibro include periods of weakness, fatigue, RSI, nausea, anxiety, migraines, painful and erratic menstrual cycles to name but a few.

Costo is particularly prevalent in the ribcage: sharp pains, aching, burning sensations. As one other reply noted it is the result of erratic pain signals in the fascia or soft tissue surrounding the muscles and bones in the ribcage. I've been experiencing this for the last few years and it can be quite a nuisance even somewhat unnerving at times. The best way to ease the discomfort is to stretch (arms out) to take the pressure off and to ease up your muscles which become contracted from the tension and pain. Also wear comfortable clothing on your upper torso - no tight bras, tops or belts whcih can irritate the ribs. If you are having problems also with reflux, try Gaviscon as a remedial measure. If it persist, get checked by your doctor for the H-pylori virus which can sometimes be the cause of it. Avoid spicy food and red wine (these often set me off).

Costo can be somewhat debilitating and will often come in phases when you are stressed and tense. Just try not to get too wrapped up in it, since it is periodic and not degenerative.

soulboydk
28-01-09, 19:50
This chest pains started on me last year in the centre chest area in the ribs, the 1st few weeks I felt it most when I get off the bed and lay down it has calmed down quite a bit now, but today I also so the pains in the left lower rib just under it, and it throbs it comes and goes. Weird that the last 8 months fear and the usual anxiety went down quite a bit but since then I have had more of the physical. :winks:

shotokansho
28-01-09, 21:18
Hey Laura. I know exactly how you feel. Since before xmas i have had severe pain in my ribs. It hurt to cough, laugh, hiccup, sneeze, stretch ect ect. My GP reckoned i had pleurisy at first and i must have visited his surgery around 10 times in 5 weeks, i was very scared!
Turned out in the end i had bruised a rib through coughing too hard after having a chest infection. :huh:
It does sound like what your experiencing is something to do with stomach indigestion/acid ect, maybe a script of omeprazole will sort it out, it's worth a try.
I too feel the same about the docs, thinking they will dissmiss me straight away because they are fed up of me. Just remember that it's their job and you have every right to be there. Hugs for you :hugs:I hope your feeling better soon.

Kerry xx

Tortoiseman
29-01-09, 02:32
I had this for about 3 weeks amidst the avalanche of health anxiety symptoms i had last year.

I got it alot in my ribs especially the left side 2 or 3 ribs down from my chest. I would definately say anxiety can cause it, it did to me and it went away. Hopefully it will go away for you soon.

With me when it was hurting i would press the area and it really hurt but 5 minutes after the pain went i would press the area really really hard and it was like nothing had happened, is your like that?

jjjjjj
01-02-09, 20:11
Hi Laura
I have had the same pains for over 18 months I can put mine down to the death of my parents and problems with my son. At first I thought I was having a heart attack and felt very ill, and weak now after many tests I have found you need to make yourself better my doctor said I had depression and anxiety I thought I never but guess what the doctor was right but it’s more than just anxiety and depression you will need to deal with look deep inside yourself you will know what started your illness off . For the pain in the ribs I found that if you massage the centre of the bottom of the ribs not to hard but that you can feel a little pain and work the massage down and under the ribs. Please mail me if I can be of any help Oh I see most of your replys have been from Females ( Im am Male) but im sure the pain is the similar. I also thought maybe I was going mad but I can tell you there is light at the end of the tunnel and I am feeling much better these days.
God bless and good luck J

Duckie
01-02-09, 20:50
Have been feeling like that too. Right below my rib and feels like underneath inside. Hurts sometimes to cough or to breathe. Anyways they gave me advair and told me the puemonia I had should be gone by now. The Xrays are fine. Sometimes it hurts on the back of my lungs too.

Any suggestions for me?

june
28-02-09, 11:28
:weep: Fear of fear of fear:weep:
Started yesterday - I leaned forward to pick up a cup - whan a sharp pain shot across my..abdomen very short - very sharp BUT left such fear:weep:
The pain recurred later when i went to stand up, same place - same sharpness..
describe the area of pain.....
solar plexus? like electric shock (across the soft tummy) from one side of ribcage to the other!!!
Like i have been wearing a belt that was too tight and has bruised the underside of the ribcage...... So afraid - what is it?????
I can walk and talk and eat and drink - just sometimes the pain hits and it is soooo frightening:weep: :weep:
Any one able to reassure me???? PLEASE:blush:
june

Marcus1990
16-05-09, 07:07
Im 18-male and ive had 2 different things going on randomly first, when i laugh really hard or bend over for more then a minute i get a really really sharp pain right under my left rib and when i put my hand on it i feel it throbbing then after it goes away im fine till i do one of those things. next this is recent ive been real sick for 2 or 3 days and when i was laying down on my right side trying to go to sleep i got a really sharp pain under my right rib and it got worse for about 20 seconds then went away until i do the same thing. any answers will be helpful thanks