PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone relate? (probably anyone who has suffered depersonalisation)

Cheeky220
20-11-08, 10:26
Hi

Im not sure if this is DP or what but im so focused on my mind at the moment. I feel that i am not real and i dont know what is real. Anyway i keep thinking of how my brain works and how does it know what to do. eg when you speak how does it know what to say next and also what you do. its freaking me out as im scared il forget everything and not be able to operate is think possible with to much thinking about it? am i going to loose my mind?

Cheeky220
20-11-08, 10:34
and what if i never stop thinking this now that i have thought of it?

*D*
20-11-08, 11:39
Hey Cheeky,

I first had DP when I started taking an antidepressent, and it was very scary! I thought I was going crazy, but how my doctor explained it to me was it is a a way that our brain protects itself from being overloaded, from being so stressed. It will go away, try some relaxation techniques, and I know it is hard but the longer you give it the attention, the longer it will last.

I hope this has helped you.

D

samc100
20-11-08, 11:40
I had this big time... It was really scarey so lots of hugs. My mind was bewildered and on overload. I really thought my mind would have to explode. I shudder at the memory.

Sadly I have no immediate cure for you... for me it was just another symptom of panic and anxiety and as I tackled it ( with councelling/Dr's/relaxation etc..) then it gradually did go.

Hugs and hugs and you are certainly not alonexxx

tasia
20-11-08, 11:48
Hi Cheeky,

Yes I can relate to it..Ive suffered with it on and off for so many years...that Im now getting to the point I can actually control it...the thing to do is try not to let it frighten you..I know it is so so terrifying when it is actually happening but try to always remember that there is nothing wrong with you it will pass...lots of people suffer with it try to remember that and when it starts to happen just think to yourself this will pass im not mad and try to relax...i know its easy for me to say..but believe me ive suffered terribly with this and this is what i have to say to myself when i feel it coming over me...please dont be scared xxxx
ps..what the guys say above is right i get it when i have too much on my mind and i feel i cant cope...3 kids etc., try to relax more because the more you fret about it the more it will keep coming back to you...dont worry you are not and wont ever go mad....xxx

Cheeky220
20-11-08, 11:58
I feel like i have no concept of day and time and that i cant see anything in the future is this part of DP at all?? scares the living daylights out of me.:(

Stressed92
20-11-08, 12:08
Try not to worry cheeky
It's all part of anxiety and DP.
I know it's awful, I've had feelings like that, but if you ignore it, it will go away. It's because you're brain is tired and is thinking too much. Sleep will probably help, have you been getting enough recently?

Take care and hope you feel better soon
Amy
x

AntiLove_SuperStar
20-11-08, 13:44
Totally normal with DP. I had it for over a year on/off, you have lots of sympathy from me.

x

brownmachine
20-11-08, 16:18
very very nasty symptom. I was scared when it first hit me. I was totaly overwhelmed that i was me. It felt like i was a pair of eyes and the fact that i could move my body was overwhelming. Then the thought of having any responsability made me really scared.

I felt like crap constantly every day for around 3 months. Then i got used to the feeling and every time i thought about it i would try to laugh instead of getting that fear / shock sensation when someone or somthing scares you. I then tried to keep my mind occupied with certain things. You need to completeley focus your mind on somthing... anything. I started jogging and bodybuilding. For me it started to fade away after a couple of months. I still get it a little but now i just sort of ignore it, it's nowhere near as intense now.

You will get used to the feeling after a while and it will probly scare you less. Try to laugh it off as a strange euphoric experience. I can remember actually thinking i was dead or i was dreaming and couldnt wake up at its worst point.

. Laugh it off
. Try exercise and set yourself some targets
. Focus your mind on somthing
. Avoid stimulating drinks... Caffeine, sugar, tea and eat healthy. Take a multivitamin

At the moment i'm taking effexor and have been for 4 weeks. I think that it's taken the edge off it even more.

take it easy

Dotcom
20-11-08, 19:00
Yes, I feel like Everything in not real and Like im not in the room with people. Its a difficult one to describe, but it does pass. It gets less scary as you get used to it and accept it

BasilCat
26-11-08, 10:33
Hi there, I have just tried to post a reply only the site wouldnt let me! So here I am back again. I know exactly how you all feel with DP as I have been troubled with it for 2.5 years following a breakdown in July 2006! It is very very frightening and I have had some awful times with it. Plus no-one here understands so I have felt so alone. However I am just starting to be less scared with it and am doing most things now. Like walking round Chester with my family or round Ormskirk with my friend yesterday. I did feel unreal on both occasions but just told myself, "So what, it doesnt matter, nothing bad will happen" and it didnt. But 2.5 years seems a long time to be in this state. Has anyone driven with DP? I wouldnt even get in a car for a year after the break down (had anxiety attacks in the car) but then I made myself drive locally, then 10 miles or so. Then finally I drove the 55 miles to my parents a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time in those 2.5 years that I did it. I felt in a DP state then but not too bad or I wouldnt have attempted the drive. Hubby and kids were with me at the time - I dont know if I am ready to tackle the drive alone yet though.
I agree with what Dotcom says above that it gets less scary as you get used to it and accept it. Anyone here seen the anxietynomore website? It has a good report about DP. The address is www.anxietynomore.co.uk (http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk)

Best Wishes
Shirley

BasilCat
26-11-08, 16:19
Hi all, I have now been down town again and felt in a DP state when I got there. But I parked up the car and walked round and the more I got into what I was doing - looking for Xmas presents - and the less I focussed on the unreality, the better I felt. The DP got less. I bumped into mum in law and was able to have a cuppa and a sarnie in Woolies with her. I would not have done that a while back for fear of "giving myself away" and having her see me in a bad state. As I said earlier, I have been troubled with this for a couple of years now. And its not the first time either!! I have had 4 breakdowns in 30 years!!! So I know how to cope. But this has outstayed its welcome this time! But I feel that as long as I keep getting out and about and doing things, then I must be on the right track, especially as I am just losing the fear of the DP a bit, now. Oh yes, and I asked about the driving before didnt I? Anyone here drive with DP?

Shirley
x x x

Lizzydripping
03-12-08, 21:11
Cheeky 220 you've summed up exactly what i feel like. Thank you so much or posting!

sylvia1970
08-12-08, 10:11
I feel like i have no concept of day and time and that i cant see anything in the future is this part of DP at all?? scares the living daylights out of me.:(
I have had it so bad that I also had lost the concept of time, didnt know what day it was, whether I had fed the kids or not, 5 minutes ago. It was really bad and very scarey. I can also tell you, that once I went on meds and calmed right down, it didnt all go away, but it was far less severe, it is nothing compared to what it was before. I can also tell you that when I had it as bad as I had it sounds like your experiencing the same level of intensity , I had worked myself into such a state of fear and panic that it was like I was having a constant panic attack. Do you know what is frightening you so much? What is stressing you out so much?