PDA

View Full Version : Please help me

Chiara
22-11-08, 14:12
Hi everyone. I've been on Sertraline for a long time, about two years I think and before that I was on Citalopram. In the last year I had been feeling so much better that I gradually started cutting down the sertraline. I had been cutting pills in half and was on 25mg and had been since July with no problems.

Out of the blue three nights ago I had a major panic attack. Like one I hadn't had in years. I immediately the next day upped my dose to 50mg and so today is my third day on 50mg. I feel AWFUL. I have been to the doctors twice in two days. I am boiling, I haven't eaten and I can't do much more than lie in bed all day waiting for it to pass.

Why is it so bad having only gone from 25mg up to 50mg? I am so scared of tonight as I know that third day is usually the worst and I am just waiting for a major panic to hit.

I had just pieced my life back together and gotten back to uni and now it is all falling apart again. Please help m

BellisC
22-11-08, 19:34
Hi Chiara,

Sorry to hear you are feeling so horrid. I have had a similar experience this year so I really sympathize. It is hard to imagine that you'll ever feel better! - I have been on sertraline for about 18 years, and this spring I slowly tapered down to none. Everything was great, and then after a couple months I got a major panic attack - could not sleep, flushed red face, waves of adreniline, racing thoughts. I stuck this out for about a week but finally phoned my GP's surgery in great distress and it was agreed I could start taking sertraline again. First I was on 50 mg, then after a while 100, then 150 which is what I was taking before I tapered off. Gradually I am feeling better, back to my old self, but there are still challenges, mornings when I first wake up are particularly bad for the panic kicking off. Also I did notice that there was extra anxiety when starting the sertraline again, and when increasing doses, it is not helpful that this happens when anxiety is often a big part of the problem! But it does level off.

This site has been really helpful, I found it in August when I was absolutely beside myself in the middle of the night - I had never really had full-blown panic attacks and just reading about the common symptoms helped me understand what was going on, and there are lots of supportive people.

I hope you'll start to feel better soon. Best wishes

rainwave
22-11-08, 19:35
Hey Chiara
First off,upping the sertraline,even 25mg,will sometimes create more anxiety until it settles out. Usually upping means insomnia,low appetite,and shakiness for a few days. Everybody is different though. The anxiety will wax and wane and for some reason it waxed a couple of days ago. If you can find some, drink some skullcap tea mixed with chamomile. This will help with the transition. Skullcap in tea is very non invasive and will be ok to drink with Zoloft. Hang in.

Chiara
22-11-08, 21:13
Cheers guys, I am feeling slightly better today. I know how these pills work and how it always gets worse before it gets better but when you're in the thick of it sometimes it's hard to remember that. It's so damn hard sometimes, especially when people around you don't understand. So thanks for your replies it really means a lot. I'm going to hang on in there and hope to come through it soon

Chiara
23-11-08, 09:57
I'm on day 5 now and still have no appetite and am feeling pretty s**tty. I have forced myself to eat small amounts these last two days as I was so weak. It's been so long since I've messed about with the old SSRI dosages that I don't remember how long this should last...a week?...more?

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter