PDA

View Full Version : advice

noach4
22-11-08, 16:35
I have been taking fluoxetine 40 mg every day for about 2 years. I have discussed with my therapist about coming of it. She agrees that I should give it a go. I just want to know how to come off it, I have read different articles with pros and cons for either stopping immediately or coming off it gradually. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice. My preference is to stop taking the medication all at once, Thank you.

BellisC
22-11-08, 18:02
Hi noach4,

I've been taking sertraline for about 18 years for depression, and have had two experiences coming off it - once very suddenly as a psychiatrist had me switch to another SSRI over a 2 day period. I think it is generally recognized now that this is way too fast. The new SSRI did not work for me, and I had a really miserable few months with anxiety and depression symptoms until someone figured out what was going on, and I went back on sertraline. That was about 10 years ago, and it was before it was known that there could be problems with stopping SSRI's - at least now I think there is an awareness of this possibility. This spring I carefully and slowly tapered off bit by bit (without GP supervision but after doing research), and was doing OK for a couple months, but in August encountered a lot of stress and had a big anxiety/depression relapse. I had really hoped to stop taking the medication, but in my case, I believe that the benefits far outweigh any negatives, and I am now back on the dose I was taking in the spring before tapering.

I don't want to sound too pessimistic, this is just what happened in my case, but I would recommend getting advice from a GP or psychiatrist if you decide to discontinue fluoxetine. My experience has given me a new attitude about being kind to my brain chemistry and not giving it any sudden shocks! Best wishes to you.

bab
23-11-08, 13:03
Hi Noach

I have been on and off ssris for 10 yrs or so - and i know that prozac stays in your body the longest - whereas citalopram,seroat, sertraline require a long weaning process - prozac does not at it has such a long half life - I would still recommend coming off it relatively slowly but its not a bad one for coming off at all - maybe try 1 every other day for a week then 1 every 3 days for a week then every 5 days etc or try 40,20,40,20 for a week, then 20 every day for a week, then 20 every other day then ever 3 days - i think you just have to see whats suits your body - luckily though prozac is not like the other ssris for coming off x