PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Managment

tattybear
17-06-05, 14:26
Hi all,

My doc has refered me for Anxiety Managment courses with mind - its a 6 week course, with one session a week of an hour and 20mins.

Called Mind today tofind out when it would be and I wont be able to start til september [xx(]

When I got the letter yesterday I was so excited as I thougt that it would be soon and I cant wait to get help with the anxiety, but now its 3 months away its made me feel quite down.

I was hoping it would be soon - Im supposed to be going on a big 2 week family cruis in August (booking at last min) and I dont think I can do it yet.

Just wondering also has anyone else had anxiety managment and there views on iy.

Ive been told if it doesn work the next step is CBT.

Tatty B xx

leo05
17-06-05, 14:42
not had it but you can do it i know you can just take things one step at a time if you can not wait till then see you doc and ask if they can make it any earlier

seh1980
17-06-05, 16:04
hi Tatty,

Unfortunately there are such long waiting lists for all these things. My CBT won't start till at least September..

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Quirky
17-06-05, 16:19
I was assessed my my local mental health team two years ago and told i wasn't bad enough for CBT! I was in a terrible state at the time! I dread to think how bad you had to be. Anyway when they finally agreed to put me on a waiting list I had to wait two years. In the meantime I had eight private CBT sessions but at £100 a session it's not cheap.
Good luck,

LJ

pips
17-06-05, 16:34
Hi Tatty B,:D

I have had anxiety management and unfortunately it didn't help me much at all.:( [No]

The teacher himself was extremely anxious and kept reiterating over and over the symptoms and feelings of panic etc... which we were all very well aware of! At one point he got so bad i thought he was going to have a panic attack! I thought i'd have to help him instead of him helping me! LOL

So many people couldn't cope with this. The group started with 12 of us by the third week there was only me and three others left!

I did finish the course but unfortunately I didn't get much benifit from it at all really.

Also I was supossed to have a meetimg with him after the course had finished but due to a hospital appointment I had to cancel. I rung him to let him know. He said ring back later to make another appointment I did 3 times (& with my phone phobia) LOL and he wasn't there and never got back to me.

Sorry I don't mean to put a downer on it that was just purley the teacher. Yours might be excellent.

Sorry you have to wait till September hun. It will be here before you know it though mate. Stay Strong!

Take care,;)

I hope you feel brighter soon.

Love PIP'S X X

tattybear
17-06-05, 19:00
Thanks for your replies,

Pips.....dont worry you didnt put a downer on it, it was good to hear your experinec and im very gratful for your input :)

Im quite dubious about it too as im so anxious when i go out (agrophobia etc) that even going there is gonna be a struggle, plus i hate seeing people ill or in panic, so that also is worrying me, but anything is worth a try :)...and if it doesnt help then I will hopfully be able to have CBT...

Tatty B xx

stimpy
18-06-05, 03:11
I was due to start an anxiety management course - but I was too scared to go ! :D

To be honest CBT sounded way more fun - so I went for that instead.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

henri
18-06-05, 09:27
hi tatty b,

i just went for the CBT option (had to go private, waiting list too long) because when i started the sessions i was borderline agoraphobic and couldn't face leaving the house, let alone sitting in a room with a load of people. CBT really really worked for me - it's fantastic.
you may as well give this anxiety management thing a go - i think with all these things it depends on the therapist you get. is there any way your doc can put you on the CBT waiting list now? i think it would be good to have some sessions even if the anxiety management proves helpful.
as for the cruise, we will all help you prepare for it, so don't you worry!

henri x

LisaS
18-06-05, 14:14
hi tattyb,

my CPN suggested I did an anxiety management course but then withdrew the offer as he didn't want to put more ideas into my head about other things I could be anxious about! at the time i was reading loads on the internet and convinced myself of everything. I'm now doing the CBT although have to wait a while between appointments and this is really great. Like others have said i guess it depends on your current symptoms and how good your teacher is. You may as well give it a try, it can't hurt. My CBT therapist (lovely lady!) has suggested I do an assertiveness course instead at the local adult ed centre to boost my self esteem. that starts in september too and seems a good option too. sorry to have rambled!
good luck and feel free to PM me,
Lisa
xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"