PDA

View Full Version : Endoscopy

jannnne
24-11-08, 16:50
Hello, I have got to have an endoscopy on 30 dec. This means I have to stop taking my meds about 15 dec. Been treated for H pylori thought I was better but no all my symptoms back with a vengence. Anyone got any ideas how to cope with symptoms which are bound to be worse when I cant take my omperparozle for two weeks. I am really worried now.

1) why has it not got better
2) endoscopy scarey
3) what will they find
4) I am sure it is cancer and am scared
5) Am worried I will be in pain all over xmas with no meds.

Any advice pleasexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cthechick84
24-11-08, 16:56
What are your symptoms?? sorry jus trying to advise but not sure what problems u get i pressume its Acid reflux?! as ive took Esomeperozole(nexium) which ive had to take for Acid reflux actually burning my food pipe and causing the feeling of food not going down my throat properly.and i had a camera up my nose and into my throat..it ws nothing and just think as soon as its over your b giving the results.i knw its hard but dnt worry everythink will be fine.Best wishes C.xx

Trixie
24-11-08, 16:57
Hello, I have got to have an endoscopy on 30 dec. This means I have to stop taking my meds about 15 dec. Been treated for H pylori thought I was better but no all my symptoms back with a vengence. Anyone got any ideas how to cope with symptoms which are bound to be worse when I cant take my omperparozle for two weeks. I am really worried now.

1) why has it not got better
2) endoscopy scarey
3) what will they find
4) I am sure it is cancer and am scared
5) Am worried I will be in pain all over xmas with no meds.

Any advice pleasexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had one a couple of years ago as they thought I had a hiatus hernia anyway it was over production of acid in the end. I should have realised as this seems to be a family trait.

I take Lansoprazole and they work, I have been taking them for about 4 years now.

If you get any pain over Christmas take bicarbonate of soda in water it neutralises the stomach acid. My mother lived on boiled eggs and cornflakes for years as she had a duodenal ulcer.:weep:

You'll be fine.:flowers:

jannnne
24-11-08, 16:59
Hi yest its acid reflux so they tell me. Sore upper tummy by my breast bone. Cough, burning sensation all the time really, funny taste, fluttering feeling in my neck. It have tried loads of anit acids including nexium nothing gets rid of it completely just maybe make it just about bearable worried its just covering up the dreaded cancer.

Trixie
24-11-08, 17:08
Hi yest its acid reflux so they tell me. Sore upper tummy by my breast bone. Cough, burning sensation all the time really, funny taste, fluttering feeling in my neck. It have tried loads of anit acids including nexium nothing gets rid of it completely just maybe make it just about bearable worried its just covering up the dreaded cancer.

Well don't think about cancer. If they thought there was the slightest chance you would have had your endoscopy before now. My mother lost stones in weight.

Try the bicarb it really does work. I was advised not to have milky drinks.

countrygirl
24-11-08, 22:32
I am wondering why you have to stop taking the omeprazone before the test - have they explained why.

I have a hiatus hernia causing severe acid reflux and have taken the milder famotidine ( H2 inhibitor) for past 20 years and when I had endoscopy 3 yrsa go to check my gullet I didn't have to stop taking my famotidine. Don't thinkI could have anyway as just missing one gives me evil heartburn as you get rebound acid production thats why most people end up on these types of drugs for life!

The endoscopy was nothing - I was out for the count and remember zilch.

roosey
24-11-08, 23:07
I had one last January but didnt have to stop taking my pantropozole

kitty_boom
25-11-08, 02:06
Just think after it is over, you will feel such massive relief!! Just keep thinking of that, I was meant to have one but the hospital never got back to me and my doctor now doesnt think I need one, which is obviously giving me some paranoid thoughts, so at least you will have it and be done with it.
I can really appreciate how worried you are though and hope you let us know how it goes.
x

nickieb
25-11-08, 08:15
You have to stop the omeprazole so they can see what happens when you dont take it...what its masking!

jannnne
25-11-08, 16:31
Thats what I am so worried about, what if its been masking something nasty since end of July, then I am bound to die. What about my children, I am so scared of death. I just keep crying, am so so worried. I almost don't want to know. I am worried about the endoscopy too. Spoke to my doc about the sedation and my worst fears confirmed they basically give you the date rape drug to make you woozy then hold you down and do the test, you just can't remember it afterwards. Great. I am desparate to google but know I will find no comfort there. I just want someone to tell me its just anxiety and will all be ok. Why won't it all just go away.

Sleepless999
25-11-08, 22:15
Hi there - I had a gastroscopy in June and was very nervous about it. I have to say it was absolutely fine - I had sedation and throat spray and afterwards, I really couldn't believe how worried I had been over nothing! The sedation allowed me to have a hazy recollection and there was certainly nobody holding me down - the sedation is very calming and I just laid there and did as I was told! They only take 10-15 mins. You'll be fine! Also, Midazolam isn't the "date rape" drug and wears off really quickly - I felt back to normal as I left theatre.

jannnne
26-11-08, 09:20
Thank you skippy xxx

Ellie Ann
26-11-08, 11:23
I had an endoscopy in March. I too was treated for H Pylori which I think it was initally caused my stomach problems. Anxity definately made things worse - I was worried about everything too. Then the scope was fine and I was told it was likely to be acid reflux made worse by anxiety.

And now I'm anxious again - the acid reflux is back! Good luck - try not to worry. (Famous last words from one worrier to another).

jue67
26-11-08, 13:07
HI
ive had an endoscopy for gastritis, not the most pleasant experience, you can have the mild sedative, which means you dont remember the experience, i just had the throat spray, which for most is okay. Saying that it was over quickly, my panic at that point was about choking so i was scared to death by the endoscopy, but it was short lived!!
i take lansaprozole 15 mg which mostly keeps the acid under control, but does not do anything if im anxious or stressed, its terrible at that time

i have green tea, either that or peppermint tea seems to do the trick, a good dose of rennies or gaviscon keep it at bay along with meds at the worst points. you are describing my symptoms exactly by the way!!!

good luck you will be fine.

jannnne
26-11-08, 16:57
Thank you Jue and Ellie for making me feel better, I have found gaviscon along with omaperozle helps. I have been stressed worried about this, changed jobs, bought a horse for girls, and youngest has got a boney spur on her knee and needed an mri so I supose that is quite a lot to deal with at once. I will try to keep things under control. xxx