PDA

View Full Version : Seen doctor - need reassurance - she didn't give it!

Miss_L
25-11-08, 07:53
Hello all,
Well the palps are still there everyday, ranging fro about 5-30 a day, hard thumps, sometimes painful. I went to the doctor about it yesterday evening as I am getting increasingly upset about having them - and now I am even more scared. She is referring me for a 24 hour monitor. When I asked if she sees a lot of people with them she said "sometimes.. not having them as often as you though" - great!! And said they would be looking for arrthmias, which can be fatal :'( - Also my blood pressure was high again (131/84) and this seems to be happening over the past few months - I am only 26 and never had high blood pressure before. I am on the pill so of course I am worried about that too.
I woke up feeling sick this morning - I thought I would be reassured at the doctors but it has made me feel worse - the 24 holter isn't until 22 december and I don't know how I am going to get through the next month. I am supposed to be going skiing with my family and I usually love skiing but I don't want to go, I am so worried I will suffer a fatal arrythmia on the slopes.
I just want to know what is wrong with me. She didn't even mention anxiety and it was clear (I thought) that I was anxious - so now I can't even believe it is that. Is having them everyday that often? I guess it is for normal people... I feel I can't live my life anymore..

Miss L

p.s. can I wear the holter monitor to work easily? I don't want to have to take a day off. What a sh*t christmas this will be :weep:

Cathy V
25-11-08, 10:42
Hi there Miss L. Please dont be too upset about these palps. Im not too sure why this doctor scared you in this way, but if she really thought you had a problem she wouldnt make you wait a month to have this test. Ive had loads of 24hr holter tests, and exercise ecgs where they make you run on a treadmill and test your heart and seen numerous cardiologists over the years. Ive had these palps for many years, as have alot of others here, and they are just some people's way to react to adrenaline. But everyone gets them, its just that not everyone feels them.

You're only 26 and i doubt very much theres anything wrong with your heart. Your anxiety took you to the docs, so my guess is that your anxiety is making them happen more. Ive just come through a period of having them all day every day for the last few months. They're gone now and may not come back for ages, but if they do i know they wont harm me.

As for your blood pressure...in no way is that a high reading. Thats within normal range. Yesterday my bp was 145 over 88 and i was happy with that, it has been much higher believe me, but im alot older than you and it does tend to increase with age.

Please try not to worry too much, you'll be fine honestly. The doctor didnt tell you to stop everything you were doing and go straight along to the hospital for tests did she? So she's obviously not that bothered, some docs can be a bit tactless in what they say and the holter is just routine. Go on your ski trip and enjoy it ok?

Best wishes
Cathy xxx :)

nickieb
25-11-08, 10:44
131/84 is perfect blood pressure i am not sure where you have got the high from..

high would be between 150/180 systolic (top figure)
And 90-120 diastolic (bottom).

Miss_L
25-11-08, 10:50
thanks so much for your reply Cathy :hugs:

I guess the high blood pressure could be from me worrying about these for the last few months. I know the holter is routine and the only way I will know if these palps are actually benign or not. Unfortunately on the NHS here it takes about a month! I did ask her if I needed to stop exercise and she said not and probs ok for now as I have had them for so long - I just can't shake off the fear that something is wrong.. and the fear when I get them - it makes me want to not go out, in case I get them etc - which is silly! I just want them to calm down.. I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel at the moment! I can't accept they are normal...

xx

Miss_L
25-11-08, 10:50
Thanks Nicky! I am just used to getting perfect 120/80 and on pill so I worry more...

Miss_L
25-11-08, 12:22
Hello! Nope don't smoke and not overweight - which worried me I have high BP cos of something more serious :scared15:

Miss_L
25-11-08, 12:23
Its the combo with the ectopics too! Do you still get them?

Missy69
25-11-08, 12:58
Miss L,
There is no way that your blood pressure is classed as high or even slightly high, 131/84 ? i cant understand how any doc would say this is high !

Miss_L
25-11-08, 13:14
I hope it isn't! I guess for me it is high... relative I spose... I am hoping anxiety is making it worse as i can't think of an illness that would give me high blood pressure at my age?

The palps have started for the day :( - I feel so abnormal with them, really alone, you know?

Missy69
25-11-08, 13:23
ok Chick, well firstly, really really need to stop worrying about your blood pressure, it is perfectly normal, and when you had it taken at the docs, even if you think it was slightly high for you, it could well be back to its normal 120/80 by now, just being at the docs can raise it alot, but it saying that, even if yours stayed at 131/84 for the 10 yrs its a perfectly fine reading, so stop worrying ! ;-)

As for your palps, well i had an ecg about a month ago, and luckily that put my mind at rest, i have not had the 24 hour monitor, but i think if the doc thought there was something patentionaly fatal there, that he/she would not have hesitated sending you straight to the hospital. You can be sure of that, docs know what they are doing these days, you should try and be assured by that.

The only other thing that has worked for me and my palps, is to just destract myself from sitting thinking about them all the time, and they seem to go away. I know, "easier said than done "

Just you think how reassured your going to feel when your tests come back fine !!! :-)

Hope you feel better soon , take care

Miss_L
25-11-08, 13:27
Thanks Sarah :) - I just worry cos she only asked me a few questions - maybe she didn't know? Guess the only thing she could have done was send me for 24 monitor - as she said it is the only way to see what is going on when I have them.

I seem to get them after eating - just had my lunch at my desk and the old heart is ectopicing away!! I just find it so hard to cope at the moment :(

Missy69
25-11-08, 13:33
Can i just ask, does she know your history ? and also was you showing a lot of worry about your eptopics that she suggested the 24 monitor, or did she just suggest it because you have palps ?

Miss_L
25-11-08, 13:39
She said 24hr monitor only way to see whats going on and esp as have so frequently :( - When I went to GP before he did ECG (resting) and blood work, and said hold fire on 24 hr monitor....

Miss_L
25-11-08, 13:40
p.s. gave her brief history (every day now for 5 months - feel more stressed) but she didn't really dwell on that - I was her last appointment of the day and I think she wanted to leave! She also said if I have a run lasting a min or so to go straight to hospital! Great! Thanks - so reassured now... ;(

Missy69
25-11-08, 13:46
So was your ecg normal ? i think a lot of people on here have had there palps last and run for much longer than i minuite, im just wondering if she has picked up on how anxious you were, and if she is sending you for the 24 hr monitor for your reassurance more than any thing ?

Miss_L
25-11-08, 13:47
Yes apparently it was normal - well I rang to get blood test results (and had ecg at same time) and they said no further action needed or something. Maybe she has... and I think I probably need this 24 hr monitor for peace of mind. Thanks Sarah - its helping to talk about things! Am at work and feel really on edge at the moment :(

Missy69
25-11-08, 13:51
When i told my doc i was having palpataions, that took me 10yrs to tell him by the way, im just terrified of docs. but when i told him he said it was my anxiety and explained it all to me, he said i dont think you need an ecg, but i want you to have one just for your reassurance. i was petrified, but so glad i did it. so when he got results he just said everything is fine as hed suspected and offered me counciling, he didnt want to investigate any further, and also my blood pressure at the time the doc took it, was 177/ 110, but he new its because i was having it taken by him, he asked me to monitor it for a week and give him the readings, they were between 120/80 to 139/89 about 5 times a day, he said its fine, he wasnt worried at all.

Miss_L
25-11-08, 13:54
Thanks Sarah - good to hear your experiences. How often do you/did you get palpitations? I think I could cope if mine were a little less frequent!

Missy69
25-11-08, 13:56
I think if you want to have it for your reassurance, then you def should, good on ya girl ! but i also think you should work on the fact that you are going to have to believe in your results when they come back, and really try to start trying to stop worrying about them, apparently the worse thing you can do with ectopics, is to sit worrying about them , just becasue they will stay the more you worry, not because they will cause you any harm. It is very very rare that there is anything wrong just because you have palps, every body has them, they are just not aware of it because they are not anxious and focusing inwards, they still get them though, and who knows how many and how often !!

Miss_L
25-11-08, 13:59
Yes I feel very sensitised to them - I told her that too...

Missy69
25-11-08, 14:00
when i used to get them, they would last all day, they could be reallt intense and horrid, sometimes i could go a month without having them, but what brought them back was always me thinking oh ive not had them for ages, and sure enough they would be back. I think its the more you think of them the worse they are. Now if i get say one, i just say out loud, " do your worst because im not frightened anymore " then i would get i few thuds, then i would realise they had gone. proves to me how much my thinking played the biggest part in them

Miss_L
25-11-08, 14:03
I want mine to go away for a month!

Missy69
25-11-08, 14:05
Well they will, when you have been reassured, have you read the claire weekes books ?

Miss_L
25-11-08, 14:07
No.. does it talk about ectopics?

Missy69
25-11-08, 14:10
Yes she does, amongst other things, she is absolutely fantastic, there are a few free downloads on the nmp shop, they really really helped me so much, and the best book to buy is self help for your nerves. i think thats in the npm shop also. I t is very good, its put me on to the road to recovery, dont know what i would have done without her and i have read so many self help books and none have really helped like hers have. The downloads are really good

Miss_L
25-11-08, 14:12
Ok - I will look into it - thanks! I am in a bad cycle and need to try and break it if these palps are actually benign!

Missy69
25-11-08, 14:18
They will be, im sure the ecg and blood tests would have picked up some thing if not.

JodieT
25-11-08, 16:38
Hi Miss L

I've been to Doctor today about my ectopics and have been feeling exactly the same as you. At the moment mine are bad after my evening meal and have been this way on and off for about 6 months. I don't understand why just in the evening and not the day. I have been so frightened and upset and had convinced myself my heart is just going to stop. My Doctor was reassuring and my blood pressure was higher than yours and she wasn't fazed by it. Said it was anxiety and she would re-check it in 6 months. My pulse and heart were ticking over nicely and she thought it may be hormonal so we are keeping a note of it. I have worn the 24 hr monitor in the past and it doesn't get in the way of anything - it showed my palpitations improved whilst shopping!! Mine showed regular ectopics but that there was nothing to worry about. I know my ectopics do come and go and have done for 10 years so I do try to reassure myself that my heart must be ok. Please try not to worry - easier said than done - but this site is very reassuring and although we wouldn't wish these on anyone it is good to know there are others out there feeling the same.

Take care.

Jodie x

Miss_L
25-11-08, 17:05
Thanks Jodie - so you reckon I can wear the monitor into work? (i,e under clothes etc?) I don't really want to have to take a day off for it and would rather it was monitoring while I am doing "normal" activities. Also, how long till you got your results?

Thanks so much

Miss L

JodieT
25-11-08, 18:04
Hi

You should be able to wear the monitor to work. I wore mine under my clothes and still went about my normal day to day routine. Mine was a few years ago mind but I'm sure they're still the same if not improved. I think the results were with my GP within a week to ten days. It wasn't too long - although I know you're desperate for an answer - I was. I'm starting to worry now as mine have lately begun to start in the evening and I am trying to reassure myself. I've had them for years but sometimes they are so hard to cope with.

Take care and try not worry.

Love Jodie x

Mikke
25-11-08, 22:27
Sure se is a real doctor? :D
You have just about perfect blood pressure!
I had 140/ 70 at the ER room when I went to the hospital with my palps, and was told it was good and perfectly normal, considering I was stressed out. Half an hour later (when I felt safe again) it was at 110/70, so your blood pressure will vary with stress. There is also something called "hospital-bloodpressure" which means your blood pressure tends to rise when you measure it.

Anyway.. doctors have different opinions and read different reports from research. Ectopics was not too long ago considered potentially dangerous, especally if they appear during activity.
But I have seen a total of 9 (yes nine) doctors for my ectopics, and even consulted some of them from other countries online.
Not ONE of them would even consider the need for a holter monitor for me. And let me tell yo - I even lied to a few of them, and told them my situation was musc more severe than it really was/is. On average I have about 3-4 every third day or so. I told them I had 50 every day. Didn't help. It's perfectly normal. In my browser favourite I keep a page from a medical dictionary saying ectopic beats are not considered illness related, they are normal cardiac events.
There are people having thousands of these everyday - without beeing treated in any way at all.

It's true that in some, rare cases, palps and ectopics can indicate arrythmias, but this is not common. In fact, ectopics and palps are rarely diagnostic of anything at all.
You should be glad you will get the holter though, as it will reassure you don't have an arrythmia.

Finally, it's true they appear more often when you worry about them. I read on a medical university's website that it's critical doctors must reassure patients with palps and ectopics immediately, as this in it self will relieve them from most of the symptoms right away. Your doctor didn't do a good job there.
When I have one - I often have more of them later on the same day, as I get very stressed out about them and wait for the next one.

Cathy V
25-11-08, 22:42
You have also given a bit of a clue when you say you get them more after eating. If so this is not your heart, its your stomach, and the biggest nerve in your body..called the Vagus nerve..is often very irritated by digestion, and this effects the heart rate.

This nerve runs from the base of the brain down to the groin area, but it kind of meanders to take in various organs including the heart and stomach. When we eat, especially if its a big meal we get palpitations afterwards, sometimes the heart races and sometimes it skips beats or flutters, but its only the heart reacting to the irritation of this nerve.

Some meds can also interrupt digestion and irritate the vagus nerve without eating much. I take a beta blocker which is a common cause of bad digestion and bloating. Taking an over the counter ant-acid has calmed my stomach and also the ectopics i was getting every day, which i didnt expect and was a huge bonus.

I will add though that ive been an ectopic sufferer for a long time and dont think its always been because of stomach problems, but certainly in the year since ive been on these meds ive had ectopics all day every day, and since i started taking the stomach relief stuff i havent had any. My doctor also agrees that the vagus nerve can be irritated enough to cause palpitations.

Best wishes
Cathy xxx :)

suzyq54
26-11-08, 21:50
hi Miss L I am 30 and i have a blood pressure of 140/92 and i have ectopic beats every day some only 5 time some every 5 seconds. i too am worried but i am still here. i carried out a test today i had some artificial sweetner as i have read that these can bring them on and yep i have had more today. do you drink coffee etc. i try to avoid these too my doc has been supportive they have said they wont start giving me lots of lests as it might make my anxiety worse. i also find if i lie down or i am laying in a restricted position that they are worse. you will get through this we are here to talk to

nursey4
27-11-08, 01:08
Hi Miss L-I can totally relate to your situation. I am 31 and have had palpitations for the past 5 years. They started after a severe panic attack and never really went away. I have become so phobic of my heart that I never do strenuous exercise because I am scared I will go into a fatal arrythmia and die. I live in an area with some of the best skiing in the world but I would be afraid to go because I would have no cell reception and be so far away from the hospital :(
I have had more ECG's than I can count, 1 stress test, 3 echocardiograms, 3 24 hour holters and 2 events monitors which I wore for a week. All that was found was PAC's - premature atrial contractions, a type of ectopic that is harmless. Still they scare me and I am always tempted to go back to my doctor and demand more tests be done!
My advice to you would be to GO ON THE SKI TRIP!! Don't let these palps ruin your life like they have mine!! It is horrible and you feel like you are one heartbeat away from death but honestly you're not! There are so many of us who have these and let them control our lives, yet here we are still living.
Best of luck to you ~
Sarah

Casey
27-11-08, 03:46
When I had a holter monitor, it showed a few ectoptic beats (harmless) he asked if I felt any more than was noted in the little book (which was one) interestingly that one was when I was watching TV and I had others when I was more distracted and never noticed them. They do look a bit freaky on the ECG :) I asked the cardiologist how many is "normal" a day and he said "well that varies today you might have 6, tomorrow you might have 60, everyone gets them, most people don't even notice or if they do they don't pay attention". He also said to me when I feel the thump, I should gently bump my fist on my chest and say "thanks for the reminder that I have a good strong heart" and then get back to whatever I was doing. Sounds weird but was quite helpful. I also had a echo and he kept saying "yes you have a good strong heart".
I did feel a bit silly and like I was wasting his time after all that, but he said in his opinion being afraid of/not know what causes "funny heart beats" can ruin peoples lives. Yes I know! He spent a very long and patient time explaining alot about how the heart works to me. It did take me another couple of months for the anxiety not to kick off though with ectopics. I'm getting there now. Slowly. :yesyes:
Also he said that exercise will often improve them and I have found this is true because I did go through a stage of doing minimal exercise for "fear of damaging my heart".

Miss_L
28-11-08, 09:42
Hello again,

thanks for all your replies! I had a really bad night last night - was out playing sport with work people and drinks after and had them all night :( - It really upsets me that I get them when all I am doing is trying to enjoy myself - I keep asking myself why and keep worrying that I have some fatal thing and it will never stop!

Does anyone else get some every few minutes, sort of in groups? Its like once I have one, then I will get a few more then they might go away for an hour or so... such horrid thumps and sometimes I get a little "catch" in my chest - I just need some reassurance that you guys get them same feelings, I feel so alone with them.. :(

JodieT
28-11-08, 10:23
Hi Miss L

Sorry to hear you had a bad night again but if its any reassurance, so did I! Mine started about half 8 and went on until midnight. Sometimes I get runs of 3 normal beats and then the 2 beats that feel too close together. This can last probably only half a minute and then it beats ok for a few minutes and then starts again. They were after I had eaten and I had also had a couple of glasses of wine so that probably contributed towards them. I'm not giving up my wine though - God what else would I have to look forward to in the evening apart from palpitations!

Take care and try not to worry. Must go now - just got a puppy and she's eating socks!

Love Jodie x

Miss_L
28-11-08, 10:35
Hahha - puppy sounds cute!

I agree re the wine - need something to look forward to!! Do yours feel all thumpy and flipping and weird? It is such a horrid horrid sensation, sometimes it really makes me sit up and I try so hard to calm myself down - people say to me "just relax more, don't think about it and they will go away" - I know they are trying to help but it doesn't work like that at all! I think I am relaxed and THEN they come and then of course I try not to panic but it is hard... how are you dealing with the Jodie - you have been given all clear right? What advice did docs give you? xx

JodieT
28-11-08, 11:47
Sometimes I cope well with mine and sometimes they scare the hell out of me. I know what you mean about people around you saying 'just relax' - sometimes I wish they would get them and then see how they 'just relax'!! My GP who I saw this week was reassuring and I know that had she thought there was the slightest reason for referring me on for further tests, she would have done it. I had a horrendous time some years ago when a serious illness went undiagnosed by my GP and subsequently the consultant at the hospital. I was ill for 18 months and my weight dropped to 6 stone. I was told I had post-natal depression and then anorexia and even though I knew there was something seriously wrong they, or my family, didn't believe me. That was naturally when my health anxiety started and my total distrust and phobia of doctors and hospitals. On the plus side I am still with the same GP practice and they have always been wonderful since that time when I do go with any health concerns. My GP has even come out to see me on a Sunday! I've had palpitations for so long now that in my lucid and logical moments I know that if there was a problem with my heart then surely something else would have happened by now. Unfortunately, during my illogical moments, I am convinced I am about to drop dead and it would be 2 fingers to them all and 'I told you I had a fatal heart condition'! Luckily the logical thoughts are stronger than the illogical at the moment but they do swap about quite regularly. Distraction is the biggest help for me when I feel bad. I can't just sit still, relax and let the palpitations win. I have to get up and busy myself with something else. I'm praying that when our puppy is able to go out that this will be a big boost for me as I plan to get up and go out walking when the ectopics strike. Sorry I've waffled on but hope it helps a little.

Jodie x

Miss_L
28-11-08, 12:45
It does help - thanks! I do need to find some distraction method that works for me - if these are benign ectopics (and I hope they are!) I need to start working on dealing with them...

I too worry about being mis-diagnosed!!aargh! xx

p.s. puppy sounds great - I would love one!

Rosie123
29-11-08, 21:19
Hello all,
Well the palps are still there everyday, ranging fro about 5-30 a day, hard thumps, sometimes painful. I went to the doctor about it yesterday evening as I am getting increasingly upset about having them - and now I am even more scared. She is referring me for a 24 hour monitor. When I asked if she sees a lot of people with them she said "sometimes.. not having them as often as you though" - great!! And said they would be looking for arrthmias, which can be fatal :'( - Also my blood pressure was high again (131/84) and this seems to be happening over the past few months - I am only 26 and never had high blood pressure before. I am on the pill so of course I am worried about that too.
I woke up feeling sick this morning - I thought I would be reassured at the doctors but it has made me feel worse - the 24 holter isn't until 22 december and I don't know how I am going to get through the next month. I am supposed to be going skiing with my family and I usually love skiing but I don't want to go, I am so worried I will suffer a fatal arrythmia on the slopes.
I just want to know what is wrong with me. She didn't even mention anxiety and it was clear (I thought) that I was anxious - so now I can't even believe it is that. Is having them everyday that often? I guess it is for normal people... I feel I can't live my life anymore..

Miss L

p.s. can I wear the holter monitor to work easily? I don't want to have to take a day off. What a sh*t christmas this will be :weep:
Hi I just recently had the Holter monitor for 24 hrs. it was pretty easy to handle . I wore it for work..just put a loose top over it.
I have had irregular beats for about 1 month now. They are scary but since I had my results from the HM I do feel a little easier. I also get them after eating which is very annoying...but they always pass.
SInce I found this web site I have felt soo much better. Unless you have experienced these "crazy beats" I don't think you can really relate...hang in there.

Rosie123
29-11-08, 21:20
Hello all,

Miss L

Hi I just recently had the Holter monitor for 24 hrs. it was pretty easy to handle . I wore it for work..just put a loose top over it.
I have had irregular beats for about 1 month now. They are scary but since I had my results from the HM I do feel a little easier. I also get them after eating which is very annoying...but they always pass.
SInce I found this web site I have felt soo much better. Unless you have experienced these "crazy beats" I don't think you can really relate...hang in there.

nursey4
30-11-08, 02:56
My ectopics can come out of nowhere or sometimes they happen when I know I am stressed and anxious. They are so random. I have runs where it feels like my heart beat may never return to normal. So far, it always has though:) I also notice alcohol, especially wine, makes them worse. The other night I had a glass of wine and too much to eat and I paid with a whole lot of palpitations, and of course, an anxious, unenjoyable night. Just keep on going out and trying to enjoy yourself. I know how crippling these can be, but just look of how many of us have them, and here we are - still typing!
Take care~

Miss_L
01-12-08, 13:47
Hello! Thanks for your replies. I really hope I can wear the monitor to work yes, as I don't want to have to take a day off plus I want it to pick up stuff on a "normal" day.

I went away for the weekend and guess what - friday and sat I hardly had any - like felt about 1-2 each day! I was so happy, I guess I was relaxed and barely thought about them. The funny thing was I started thinking about them sunday lunchtime (was talking to my boyf about how I hadn't had them) and then I got them! About 3-4 over a couple of hours. But told myself not to stress and didn't get them all evening!

Maybe it is anxiety that makes them worse- shock horror! Anyway, just wanted to say for the moment I am feeling abit better - until the next bad day! (see, must stop this negative thinking...)

I guess I find it hard to understand how earlier in the week I had such bad days with about 30-40 palps and awful ones, to hardly anything?

Had 2 today. Praying for no more!