PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Very Anxious And Scared Today

EdwardP
25-11-08, 15:19
Hiya Guys,

When I went into bed this morning I began to feel very anxious as I lay there my heartbeat went sky high, my face tingled and my mouth went so dry I thought I was going to choke again. I stayed with the feeling and tried my best to reassure myself that nothing was going to happen to me, but I only managed to get four hours sleep and right now I am twice as anxious and feeling very scared and jumpy. I want to burst into tears and I keep thinking that something terrible is going to happen to me. I don't mean to depress anyone, but I can't cope with the feelings and symptoms today. Right now I'm beginning to tremble and can feel myself getting a little hysterical, like I don't know what to do with myself or how to make it stop.

:weep:

Does anyone have any tips on how I can relax a little?

Thanks.

Cathy V
25-11-08, 15:30
Hiya, well i think the lack of sleep would add to any anxiety. You say when you went into bed this morning? do you work nights? If so then it must be difficult to keep to a proper sleep patern, but if its that you were awake all night then maybe you have a sleep problem that needs to be sorted out.

Im much older than you but ive always had low sleep intolerence, if i have less than 6 hours my body rebels, and i can feel like crap all of the next day.

Cathy

EdwardP
25-11-08, 15:34
Hiya, well i think the lack of sleep would add to any anxiety. You say when you went into bed this morning? do you work nights? If so then it must be difficult to keep to a proper sleep patern, but if its that you were awake all night then maybe you have a sleep problem that needs to be sorted out.

Im much older than you but ive always had low sleep intolerence, if i have less than 6 hours my body rebels, and i can feel like crap all of the next day.

Cathy

Hiya Cathy,

I don't work nights, but I am terrified of the dark and so I sleep during the day so I won't have to at night.

I realize that being tired is adding to my anxiety, but is been out of control now since Sunday and I can feel another huge panic attack coming on.

Cathy V
25-11-08, 15:34
Sorry, i also meant to say that the jumpy jitters can also be attributed to lack of sleep and/or anxiety and you sound very scared at the moment. Dont be scared ok? you're not going to die, its only the anxiety making you feel so bad.

Try some deep breaths...in for count of 8, out for 11. Unless you are really really tired, sometimes lying in bed means you are just focusing on your body sensations, you might be better moving around, doing something to distract yourself. Just take slow steady breaths ok?

EdwardP
25-11-08, 15:38
Sorry, i also meant to say that the jumpy jitters can also be attributed to lack of sleep and/or anxiety and you sound very scared at the moment. Dont be scared ok? you're not going to die, its only the anxiety making you feel so bad.

Try some deep breaths...in for count of 8, out for 11. Unless you are really really tired, sometimes lying in bed means you are just focusing on your body sensations, you might be better moving around, doing something to distract yourself. Just take slow steady breaths ok?

Thanks Cathy. I am very scared at the moment. And this emotion has built up in me and I feel like bursting out crying at any second. Thank you for the breathing advice. I am going to that right away ok? :)

Cathy V
25-11-08, 15:39
Edward, i know that feeling of the dark, i know it and have felt it for many years...not so much nowadays. So i used leave a low energy bulb (40 watt) in a lamp in my bedroom, id leave it on all night. I also sometimes made a cosy bed up on the sofa, i was lucky to have a large sofa, and would feel better sleeping in the lounge with a lamp on and some soft music or even the tv on low for company. Do you live alone?

EdwardP
25-11-08, 15:46
Edward, i know that feeling of the dark, i know it and have felt it for many years...not so much nowadays. So i used leave a low energy bulb (40 watt) in a lamp in my bedroom, id leave it on all night. I also sometimes made a cosy bed up on the sofa, i was lucky to have a large sofa, and would feel better sleeping in the lounge with a lamp on and some soft music or even the tv on low for company. Do you live alone?

I have 100 Watt lightbulb in my room that I must replace with a 40 Watt Cathy...I aways leave the tv on mute too but it was no use so I began to stay up all night and wouldn't feel safe getting into the bed until I knew it was bright outside. I live at home with the parents Cathy, but they don't seem to understand what anxiety and panic attacks are because they have never suffered from them.

That's why I can't be around them today. I just can't have them look at me when I'm in this state. I get worried and even more scared and think that I am going to worry them and it all comes to a head.

Cathy V
25-11-08, 15:47
I have to go to work now but will be back in a couple of hours, and see how you are doing. Make a warm drink. Have a relaxing meander around your house/flat and just breath as easy as you can.

If you feel the panic dont get too scared of it ok? i know that sounds mad, but i mean try to accept that its something that you can control and its something you are doing to yourself, its not your body letting you down. Your body is behaving the right way to your fear ok? its only doing whats its supposed to do when you are scared. You can control it either way, but it takes a little time to master it.

Youve had these feelings since sunday and you are still here, and your body isnt damaged its working fine.

Ill catch you later...deep breaths ok? :)

EdwardP
25-11-08, 15:59
I have to go to work now but will be back in a couple of hours, and see how you are doing. Make a warm drink. Have a relaxing meander around your house/flat and just breath as easy as you can.

If you feel the panic dont get too scared of it ok? i know that sounds mad, but i mean try to accept that its something that you can control and its something you are doing to yourself, its not your body letting you down. Your body is behaving the right way to your fear ok? its only doing whats its supposed to do when you are scared. You can control it either way, but it takes a little time to master it.

Youve had these feelings since sunday and you are still here, and your body isnt damaged its working fine.

Ill catch you later...deep breaths ok? :)

No problem Cathy, and thank you so much. I managed to make a warm drink but getting down the stairs was a bit hard with my body shaking.

I've had this panic disorder now for ten years and I just can't seem to get past it. I know in my heart that I will be ok but that train of thought goes right out the window when I'm in this state. I'm so angry and upset right now that I can't get over these feelings.

You have a good day at work and keep well,

Edward :)