PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best diet for acid reflux?

Eddie 656
25-11-08, 21:43
I've posted a few questions about a throat problem I have, which appears it could be down to acid reflux or GERD. I have to admit, I dont eat very healthily, so if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what foods and drinks would help. and also the ones I should avoid. By what I've read so far, I seem to be eating all the wrong stuff.
Any suggestions would be very welcome. I know I should be going to the doctors but I thought I might try a change in diet first. Thanks

Jan63
25-11-08, 22:42
I read on the internet that apples helped so I ate one and my heartburn seemed to subside whether it's a fluke or not I don't know. Also if you google apple cider vinegar some people believe that it helps with acid reflux. Think you have to take it in water though not neat. I would try the omeprazole capsules if I was you though because you may find you just need them for a short while and then maybe just have one every few days. I haven't took one today at all and I feel fine.

Eddie 656
25-11-08, 22:46
I read on the internet that apples helped so I ate one and my heartburn seemed to subside whether it's a fluke or not I don't know. Also if you google apple cider vinegar some people believe that it helps with acid reflux. Think you have to take it in water though not neat. I would try the omeprazole capsules if I was you though because you may find you just need them for a short while and then maybe just have one every few days. I haven't took one today at all and I feel fine.

Thanks Jan, are those tablets only available from your doctor or can you get them over the counter?

I believe things like dairy products are not recommended. Also tomatoes!
Any ideas on this?

Karen
25-11-08, 22:51
It's the pips and skin of tomatoes that are hard to digest and can irritate acid reflux.

I get this too and find anything spicy upsets me and onions.

I take Omeprazole. I am pretty sure it is prescription only so you'd need to see your doctor about the problem. I tried several medications and this is the only one that helps me.

Karen

Eddie 656
25-11-08, 22:58
Thanks. Looks like theres no way round this without going to the docs! :weep:

nickieb
25-11-08, 23:01
I think fizzy drinks especially coke is irritating mine...

Eddie 656
25-11-08, 23:08
I think fizzy drinks especially coke is irritating mine...

Yes, they do with me too. I think the gas in them causes acidity. Best steer clear! :unsure:

SIMON31
26-11-08, 00:26
Hi,

Just to let you know I have also had a sore throat for a couple of months now and I think my acid reflux ain't helping it either!! I've had numerous visits to the GP and she always says thats its inflammed, but just have to give it time.

You can get omeprazole without perscription. Just ask at the chemist.

Hope the above helps!

Simon