PDA

View Full Version : how do I get CBT?

little_fairy
26-11-08, 02:29
Helloo,

I have been referred by my doctor to a counsellor for depression and anxiety which starts next week. As far as I know, it is just regular counselling.

However I have heard such amazing things about CBT and really feel like it would benefit me. What do I do to get onto a CBT course?

Is it doctor referral or do I find it myself?!

Thanks guys
xxx

titchjd
26-11-08, 09:41
Hiya

I had mine through my councellor .....when I saw her I mentioned CBT and she spoke 2 my doctor and I was reffered 2 a cbt group ...however it was cancelled twice so my own councellor has done cbt work with me herself .

When you see the councelor say you want 2 do CBT and cud she refer you ..if no look then go back and speak 2 your doctor .

Im not sure how different health authoritys work so itmay be different 2 mine x
Gud luck x
Titchjd xxxxxxxxx

sheena
26-11-08, 13:04
I was seeing a psychiatrist and he arranged my CBT.

Sheena

Nechtan
26-11-08, 13:23
I had two psychiatrists come out last week and they didn't offer CBT as I've already been through it. But they did tell me to try the following website as they recommend to alot of anxiety sufferers. I haven't tried it out myself yet but you may find it of use while waiting:

http://www.livinglifetothefull.com/

All the best

Necthan

Jan63
26-11-08, 15:56
I think doctors can do it because one of my doctors referred me to a councillor but I decided that I didn't need one. Another doctor in the same practice has referred me for CBT although thinking about it I really don't feel I need it at all, I didn't know what it was until I read up on it but I don't think it's for me at all.