PDA

View Full Version : Cyberchondria-Researching your medical symptoms on the Web can lead to anxiety

MM_II
26-11-08, 06:18
Cyberchondria- is a new condition for which a person constantly searches the web for medical advice and gets anxiety

Link to article

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/25/technology/internet/25symptoms.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

AtmoLav
26-11-08, 09:11
There's a brilliant bit on Wikipedia about this....

Many reputable medical organizations maintain websites that may include brief overviews of various conditions for individuals with a general curiosity, or more detailed information to aid the understanding of people who have been properly diagnosed. Often listing diagnoses without regard to incidence, prevalence, or relevant risk factors, websites may lead users to suspect rather rare and unlikely diseases as the source of their complaints. Since many benign conditions share symptoms with more serious ailments and are listed side-by-side, users without proper medical consultation may assume the worst rather than the likely diagnosis. Web-diagnosis can cause a great deal of distress and anxiety in users who believe themselves to have incurable and serious illnesses.

Patients who go against medical advice or refuse to accept a professional diagnosis while quoting web sources has become more common and can be a frustrating obstacle to physicians trying to provide a professional standard of care. When in doubt, patients should attempt to get a second opinion before turning to web-based sources. Self diagnosis should not be used as a substitute for a professional medical consultation.

anxious
26-11-08, 09:34
i refer to it as googleitis :D

nickieb
26-11-08, 19:06
Hmmmm thats me....

jabeebabee
09-04-10, 21:08
And me too!