PDA

View Full Version : I've never been so frightened

Vinny
26-11-08, 17:16
I have a history of throat worries and people that have read my other threads will no doubt get the picture. I'm constantly checking to see if I have blood in my mouth. I've been trying hard to stop this habit but worry that I will miss some deadly sympton if I stop. Well today I was clearing my throat for for 20th time and there was blood mixed in with the spit (sorry tmi). I was absolutely panic stricken and have made an appointment to see the docs later this evening. I wonder if maybe I've burst a blood vessel in my throat. Any replies or advice would be so welcome. Have any of you ever done this before. It definately isn't coming from my nose cos I blew it straight after and it was clear. I'm worried sick I have throat cancer :weep: .

tashbarnes87
26-11-08, 17:25
Aww Vinny, hugs :hugs: i can garentuee what you have done is burst a tiny blood vessell in your throat from your constant throat clearing. This too happened to me when i went through my throat cancer fear too. I made my throat red raw and it became a very nervous habit. I know this isnt going to take away your fear but its definitly the throat clearing :)

You some how need to break out of the habit, easier said than done i knw

xx

lorac
26-11-08, 17:45
Hi Vinny

I too have been through this phase and I really do think there is a great possibility that you have strained your throat. Please try not to worry.

Carol

jojo2316
26-11-08, 18:17
Hi vinny. i wonder how many of us obesessively check our spit for blood. i do it too! usually it is clear but once or twice there has been blood. of course, when this happened i paniced, but I think it was probably my gums that were bleeding. Could this be the same with you?
I suspect that if anybody looked regularly enough, they would occasionally see blood in their spit........... it's just most people aren'tthat daft! ;-)xx

Forever Anxious
27-11-08, 07:44
I know how you feel....This is my new latest "obsession". I spit all the time, in the car, at work, I feel like I constantly taste blood. I spit into kleenx, sinks, looking. I find pink blood streaks at times, it terrifies me out of my mind. I know how you feel, really, I do.
I don't know what it is.

Trixie
27-11-08, 07:48
No wonder there was blood in the spit if you are clearing your throat 20 times a day. I am surprised you have any throat left at all.

What are you hoping to find with all this coughing anyway?:shrug:

For goodness sake stop it and I am sure the doctor will tell you the same.

Vinny
27-11-08, 09:10
Thank you all so much for replying. I have been to the doctors and he tells me I have traumatised my throat. He looked down my throat, in my ears and felt my neck and said everything felt/looked fine. He know's how much I worry and has tried to convince me that I don't have throat cancer (like he has many times in the past!!). I told him that I was leaning over the sink when it bled and I thought maybe leaning over and clearing my throat at the same time had caused the blood vessel to burst. He said that was very likely. I then asked him if a tumour would be more likely to bleed if I was bent over and he said yes to that question too. As you can imagine that's the one thing that keeps coming back to haunt me. I forget about all the positives things he said to me, he really wasn't concerned at all. I felt slight relief when I first came home and thought "how silly am I" but within an hour or so I was worrying again. Keep thinking about him saying a tumour would be likely to bleed if I bent over a sink!! I just can't convince myself that I have made my throat bleed from just clearing it!! I know it's a habit that I do far too many times a day but its is a gentle procudure, I don't feel as though I'm straining it. I would love to hear back from anyone who has this silly habit of throat clearing and have managed to make there throat bleed. It would help to reassure me so much.
x

jojo2316
27-11-08, 09:15
Are you sure it's not your gums that are bleeding? Gums often bleed....

Vinny
27-11-08, 09:25
I'm pretty certain it isn't my gums jojo. They do bleed when I brush my teeth sometimes.

Trixie
27-11-08, 11:45
Thank you all so much for replying. I have been to the doctors and he tells me I have traumatised my throat. He looked down my throat, in my ears and felt my neck and said everything felt/looked fine. He know's how much I worry and has tried to convince me that I don't have throat cancer (like he has many times in the past!!). I told him that I was leaning over the sink when it bled and I thought maybe leaning over and clearing my throat at the same time had caused the blood vessel to burst. He said that was very likely. I then asked him if a tumour would be more likely to bleed if I was bent over and he said yes to that question too. As you can imagine that's the one thing that keeps coming back to haunt me. I forget about all the positives things he said to me, he really wasn't concerned at all. I felt slight relief when I first came home and thought "how silly am I" but within an hour or so I was worrying again. Keep thinking about him saying a tumour would be likely to bleed if I bent over a sink!! I just can't convince myself that I have made my throat bleed from just clearing it!! I know it's a habit that I do far too many times a day but its is a gentle procudure, I don't feel as though I'm straining it. I would love to hear back from anyone who has this silly habit of throat clearing and have managed to make there throat bleed. It would help to reassure me so much.
x

'Traumatised your throat' I am not surprised with all that you put the poor thing through every day.

Just as I said you have coughed it into being sore.

Anyone would think you were looking for the Lost City of Atlantis.:)

Now behave yourself and give your throat some TLC it deserves it.:yesyes: