PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks have control of me

Ring Tailed Lemur
26-11-08, 19:46
Hi everyone (what a great website - wish i found this earlier!)

I have suffered from panic attacks in the past, but after 18months of a 'panic free' life I decided to come off the citalopram that I had been on for about 5 years. I did this in July this year.

Last week however I experienced an awful panic attack, completely knocked me for six. I have been signed off work for 3weeks for stress/depression/anxeity, and now back on the citalopram. Today is 7th day of taking them and i had forgotten how bad the side effects were.

I feel pretty low at the moment and alone. Im finding it extremely hard to get back to reality, infact I havent been out of the house over the last 2 days.

My panic attacks 5 years ago were not as strong. I mean this time round I cannot drive my car, or go into a supermarket without freaking out....
Im having trouble seeing the light at the end of the tunnel:weep:

Veronica H
26-11-08, 19:57
:welcome: To NMP. I take a low dose of Citalopram and also had a bad attack after the Dr decided I should try without them. I am back on them now.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'Self help for your nerves' published by Thorsons ISBN 978-0-7225-3155-6. This is available from the NMP Shop. I cannot recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover. Her recordings can be downloaded free to your MP3 from the NMP Shop too. You will find comfort and support here.

Veronica

Ring Tailed Lemur
26-11-08, 20:03
Thanks Veronica, I have actually purchased that book today! Hopefully should arrive by Friday so i can spend the weekend reading it.

You've probably heard this a thousand times on this website but its so good to know that you're not the only one suffering from panic/anxiety.

pooh
26-11-08, 23:11
Hi there and welcome along to NMP

Pooh x

eternally optimistic
26-11-08, 23:14
Hi and welcome.

Hopefully you are over worst with the side effects, think mine lasted about that length of time.

Just think how much more reassured you'll feel when thats gone over.

Hope things start looking up for you.

Take care.

weeble40
27-11-08, 00:04
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx