PDA

View Full Version : Containment

Bill
27-11-08, 05:42
A few more "words".

Something I was thinking about today was how we try to contain feelings and control fears. We build up barriers to try to prevent ourselves thinking and feeling things that hurt or frighten us.

However, by resisting these thoughts and feelings, if one day one gets through our barriers, it can inflict alot of damage on us because containment creates sensitivity which then leads to anxiety.

If though we can learn to lower our barriers to allow ourselves to experience bad thoughts and feelings without reacting or allowing them to affect us, we then become more de-sensitised to things that would have before caused us anxiety.:hugs:

Patty
28-11-08, 09:36
Hi Bill,:)

Many thanks for the post. :yesyes:

Best wishes :hugs:

Nechtan
28-11-08, 13:39
I agree Bill. These are thoughts and emotions rather than fears. They only become fears by the way we react to them. And that is the essence of anxiety.

If for example you have an image enter your head of lying on the floor suffocating it is an irrational thought. For the average person it is exactly that. They see it, have no real reaction to it and let it go. If when you have that thought though it scares you then you create the fear, you are the one creating the negative reaction. It then becomes impossible to let it go and everytime it comes back it is more intense and creates a bigger fear reaction.

If we could somehow react differently then we would have no fear and have no anxiety. It is just a pity theory is easier than practice but I suppose with continued practice it would become the norm.

All the best

Nechtan